This one really hurts….RIP Jimmy Buffett

Warfish

I was never a fan and got sick of tourists constantly playing his songs because they were near the beach and thought it was cool but I’ve never heard anything bad about him from anyone. Bar staff, local business owners and musicians loved him which says a lot about what type of person he was. Very rare celebrity. He’ll be missed by his fans. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

RIP to JB.  

The first "celebrity" death that bothered me was Andy Kaufman many years ago. Cancer got him way too young. And in 2002, my favorite rock and roll frontman/lyricist, Joe Strummer, died at 50 of a heart attack/heart defect. That was the one that really got me.

Joe Strummer and most recently Bowie got to me.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

See any major media for details, but Jimmy Buffett, singer, songwriter, leader of the Parrotheads, a guy who brought joy to a hell of a lot of folks, myself counted amongst them, died yesterday at 76.

I’ve seen him in concert at least 8-9 times over the years and it was always a huge good time, and we all can use more good times. 

Thanks Jimmy, it’s 5 o’clock somewhere, RIP and enjoy the Margaritas and Cheeseburgers in the afterlife. 

IMO he arguably created a genre. Call it beach music, bar music, Yacht rock, HE basically created a style of music. Not the greatest singer, musician etc.. but his mark on society is as big as any musicians dare i say as big as the Beatles.  I was sad to learn of his passing. Been blasting him all day on SONOS.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I was never a fan and got sick of tourists constantly playing his songs because they were near the beach and thought it was cool but I’ve never heard anything bad about him from anyone. Bar staff, local business owners and musicians loved him which says a lot about what type of person he was. Very rare celebrity. He’ll be missed by his fans. 

So you were annoyed because lots of people like his music? What's up with that?

• Haha 1

Just now, Warfish said:

Spent a goodly portion of the evening drinking several margaritas and listening to "Live at Fenway" tonight.

Thanks Jimmy.  For the good times.

He's gone, he can't hear you. What a maroon to waste your time even referencing him. Just pretend he never existed. #WorldAccordingTo"Facts"

11 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Bowie, Peart, Emerson, Lake, Frey, Zappa…. Our heroes are reminding us it’s a short ride. 

Learned this lesson early and hard. 

I was a HUGE Hendrix fan, when I was young and he was alive.  I still remember eating breakfast and hearing he had died in England overnight joining Buddy Holly and Brian Jones, soon to be joined by Janis and Morrison in the early stages of the 27 club.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Learned this lesson early and hard. 

I was a HUGE Hendrix fan, when I was young and he was alive.  I still remember eating breakfast and hearing he had died in England overnight.  

The day when David Gilmour dies, I will be utterly and completely inconsolable.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

IMO he arguably created a genre. Call it beach music, bar music, Yacht rock, HE basically created a style of music. Not the greatest singer, musician etc.. but his mark on society is as big as any musicians dare i say as big as the Beatles.  I was sad to learn of his passing. Been blasting him all day on SONOS.  

This is a great take, I dont know if I agree he created a music genre...many artist have been in this category before JB but I think what is amazing to me is the sub culture he created.  The Parrot Heads.  Again, no where close musically but more similar to the Grateful Dead from that perspective.  Kind of accidentally created this following that is unexplained really.   Again, no disrespect, not really close musically but you can draw a lot similarities to Jimmy and Jerry, both larger then life figures who truly meant something more then just a musician to many people. 

And while I dont dig his music, there is something to be said about someone who can write a song about anything and make it appealing to large audience.  That IMO was his biggest gift to music but as you said the sub-culture he created, I'm always fascinated by it and you could true feel that passion and energy of his fans at his shows.  

• Upvote 2

• 11 months later...