Cimini: Locker room is grumbling about Wilson, team is close to imploding

T0mShane

14 minutes ago, hawk said:

And the front office forces sh*t down out throats because a qb was drafted high.  

Trade back and develop a guy while Rodgers is the guy.  Better yet, trade for Davis Mills now and culture him foe the rest of the season and let him develop behind Rodgers.

Let's face it, the only reason Wilson is on the roster is because he was a number 2 pick and I DO NOT believe that either Douglas nor Saleh want him on the roster.

Woody Johnson is the only reason he is, and that should be painfully obvious to anyone with half a brain.

David mills is not the answer.  

I think the jets will draft a qb in 2024, but which round does depend on where they’re picking.  If they’re picking 5th and they love a guy like sanders, they may take him.  Rodgers still has to rehab and prove he can actually return for the start of the season and even if he does, his mobility will forever be an issue and I’d be surprised if he even plays more than 11 games next year anyway.  The future is nearly upon us again, and the jets can’t go into next year with crap at backup having ignored the position in the draft.  I’m not saying they definitely need to take a qb in the first round, but there should be enough reasonable qb prospects so that they can get one by the middle of round 3 at the latest.  

The obvious move for any competent staff would be to break tendencies and come out throwing, maybe even a hurry up to give the offense a chance to at least play with energy and in rhythm. 

I expect 

run into a loaded box 

Run into a loaded box 

throw against a blitz 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As a QB1b / QB2 he is.  He has had 10 games with a 90+ QB rating on a bad team.  He’s a solid option to have even if he isn’t your A guy.  And right now he’s an A option for this team.  

If this team continues on the current track, there’s going to be a full implosion where the jets will be drafting a new qb and thsi whole thing will start again.  Douglas isn’t thinking about david mills, he’s thinking about sanders and maye and Caleb.  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

If this team continues on the current track, there’s going to be a full implosion where the jets will be drafting a new qb and thsi whole thing will start again.  Douglas isn’t thinking about david mills, he’s thinking about sanders and maye and Caleb.  

We’re not bad enough to tank.  It’s fools gold.

Bird in the hand > 2 in the bush.  Go get Mills and avoid a 2023 mutiny.  Wayyyy too early to be thinking about 2024.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bird in the hand > 2 in the bush.  Go get Mills and avoid a 2023 mutiny.  Wayyyy too early to be thinking about 2024.

Here’s what i believe you’re missing.  Other teams aren’t giving up their competent backup qbs.  And the jets aren’t trading draft capital to get them either.  Smart teams keep drafting qbs and grooming them.  The jets gave up after wilson and decided to trade for an aging veteran. There are no more band aids this season.  And they are going to draft a qb next year, what round idk but the higher the pick the more likely it’s in round 1.  And they don’t have to try to tank, it’s happening.  

Right now, douglas and saleh are fighting for their jobs.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we keep starting Zach Wilson at QB, we might be

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Here’s what i believe you’re missing.  Other teams aren’t giving up their competent backup qbs.  And the jets aren’t trading draft capital to get them either.  Smart teams keep drafting qbs and grooming them.  The jets gave up after wilson and decided to trade for an aging veteran. There are no more band aids this season.  And they are going to draft a qb next year, what round idk but the higher the pick the more likely it’s in round 1.  And they don’t have to try to tank, it’s happening.  

Right now, douglas and saleh are fighting for their jobs.  

For the right price they will.  Texans have Stroud and Keenum.  Mills contract expires after 2024.  He’s expendable and it’s better to get something for him while they can.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

For the right price they will.  Texans have Stroud and Keenum.  Mills contract expires after 2024.  He’s expendable and it’s better to get something for him while they can.  

If the jets were serious they would have pursued him already.  This team isn’t trading draft picks to get someone they don’t plan on playing next year.  Douglas realizes how the 2024 draft has changed considerably now that he has that 1st rounder and b/c rodgers may not even be ready for next year.  For all we know, he’s had conversations with woody about taking a qb to sit behind rodgers after this season sucks.  IMO douglas is safe but saleh is not.  

I’m not disagreeing with you that acquiring a guy like mills wouldnt help, but i am saying it’s not happening, they’re going to suck this year and take a qb and move on. 

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If the jets were serious they would have pursued him already.  This team isn’t trading draft picks to get someone they don’t plan on playing next year.  Douglas realizes how the 2024 draft has changed considerably now that he has that 1st rounder and b/c rodgers may not even be ready for next year.  For all we know, he’s had conversations with woody about taking a qb to sit behind rodgers after this season sucks.  IMO douglas is safe but saleh is not.  

I’m not disagreeing with you that acquiring a guy like mills wouldnt help, but i am saying it’s not happening, they’re going to suck this year and take a qb and move on. 

Obviously Douglas isn’t trying to do it.  My only argument is he SHOULD have been because it makes perfect sense for both us AND Houston.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Obviously Douglas isn’t trying to do it.  My only argument is he SHOULD have been because it makes perfect sense for both us AND Houston.  

The thing is, he should have done it before the season, but they were too financially tied to Wilson and the whole thing backfired obviously.  But given where everything is, the jets are trending towards a top 10 pick and there are qbs to be considered.  Plus we could also have a players mutiny that may ultimately result in a new coaching staff.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

The thing is, he should have done it before the season, but they were too financially tied to Wilson and the whole thing backfired obviously.  But given where everything is, the jets are trending towards a top 10 pick and there are qbs to be considered.  Plus we could also have a players mutiny that may ultimately result in a new coaching staff.  

Mills rookie contract is minuscule.  The finances wouldn’t have been a factor either.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

The obvious move for any competent staff would be to break tendencies and come out throwing, maybe even a hurry up to give the offense a chance to at least play with energy and in rhythm. 

I expect 

run into a loaded box 

Run into a loaded box 

throw against a blitz 

Absolutely the answer is to let Zach Wilson throw more because that wouldn’t be catastrophic at all

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mills rookie contract is minuscule.  The finances wouldn’t have been a factor either.

It’s wishful thinking.  They will probably lose tonight, may bench the qb.  They have a big game next week at denver b/c if they lose vs that crappy team it means they’re even worse, and then they play Phily.  If the jets are sitting at 1-5, that’s when you start thinking about new qbs.  

The thing is, even if rodgers returns at the start of next season, he’s not the all star he was and won’t carry a team.  The jets will still need a legit backup, and it’s not going to be someone they trade for now.  They signed a scrub and this season is effectively tanked, waiting to draft another qb to back up rodgers for as long as rodgers plays, if he even plays again. 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Absolutely the answer is to let Zach Wilson throw more because that wouldn’t be catastrophic at all

Throwing on 1st down with a safety in the box is better than throwing on third down with a blitz on and 2 deep safeties. He showed that last week. 

he stinks, but would stink less. 

5 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

If Rodgers retires, I'm still not using a 1st on a qb unless it's caleb williams which means we need the #1 pick. Enough with these projections when picking that high. Give me a clear cut generational qb in the top 5 or trade down and build a juggernaut team.

If we get a top 5 pick we have to draft a qb.  Zach sucks

• Upvote 1

On 9/26/2023 at 8:48 PM, T0mShane said:

Spicy Cimini podcast report from an off-day locker room. Opens up with Namath’s comments, but goes into (unnamed) Jets player discontent about Saleh fluffing Zach Wilson and continuing to start him. Says he knows “for a fact” that players are ready to pop off. Defensive players annoyed about having to answer for one coverage bust when they gave up a mere 13 points. Cimini puts it all in Douglas’ lap for keeping Wilson at QB2 with no safety net. 

Juiciest bits:

1. Cimini says Wilson is “done” in New York, but will play until Siemian or Boyle is ready to start. 

2. Says Saleh’s job security will be challenged if/when the locker room grumbling bubbles over and becomes public. Seems to indicate that time is closer than some think.

—However—Says it’s the bed Jets made, Cousins trade is a remote possibility and probably wouldn’t happen until the Jets season is already destroyed. Predicts the rest of the way will be a mix of Wilson, Boyle, and Siemian starts. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/flight-deck-with-rich-cimini/id1466085257?i=1000629251264

From Grant Cordone ...... 

1695067208770.jpg

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Larz said:

Refs stole the game. I was right but it was obvious 

Today isn’t the day to bag on Zach Wilson. He played as good as he’s capable of. The story of last night was the offensive line, imo. Zach still held the ball too long in spots, but this new OL configuration held up as well as any line we’ve had her me since Brick and Mangold were in their primes. 

• More Ugh 1

24 minutes ago, Larz said:

The refs were a disaster. What did you think of Zach ? 

really good game. i hope they stick with whatever they were doing. i expect some people here today will bitch that we didnt run it enough but i dont care, do whatever it is we did last night.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Today isn’t the day to bag on Zach Wilson. He played as good as he’s capable of. The story of last night was the offensive line, imo. Zach still held the ball too long in spots, but this new OL configuration held up as well as any line we’ve had her me since Brick and Mangold were in their primes. 

The aggressive play calling helped him and I was right about that 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

100%.  They played out of their minds.  It started happening in the second half of the Pats game, carried over to this week.  Their blitz pick up was outstanding.  I said it all last week after watching the all 22, this is the should the permanent line up moving forward.  

The scary part of Zach playing the best game of his career, is the Jets scored 18 offensive points on a night where they had just as many plays as the Chiefs and they ran the ball 6.8 per clip and forced 2 turnovers.  While encouraging, that aint going to cut it.  So hopefully this is one of those stepping stone moments and we see more drives converting in the future but there was TD's left on the field last night.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Bronx said:

THe NFL should ban this type of conduct immediately, unethical at best. 

Really. What are the odds Sauce signs a jersey for any ref and takes a picture with him after the game? 

I don't remember ever seeing this practice go on before the past couple years (or maybe I was just ignorant to it, which is very possible), but that has to end & I can't believe they ever allowed it in the first place. 

17 minutes ago, doitny said:

really good game. i hope they stick with whatever they were doing. i expect some people here today will bitch that we didnt run it enough but i dont care, do whatever it is we did last night.

Agree. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think Zach seemed way more in command.   He wasn’t indecisive staying on the first read.   When he was on the move extending plays he was a danger to the defense to pass. 

He was far from perfect but it looked like what he has been in practice.  He was making his team better around him until the fumble.  

It looked like a significant step forward.  You can’t load the box against the QB who played last night.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Really. What are the odds Sauce signs a jersey for any ref and takes a picture with him after the game? 

I don't remember ever seeing this practice go on before the past couple years (or maybe I was just ignorant to it, which is very possible), but that has to end & I can't believe they ever allowed it in the first place. 

I will be shocked if this wasn't a misconduct in accordance with the NFL's conduct and ethic policies. 

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That photo is legit?  Nah, can't be as it looks like it belongs on the Onion.

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

100%.  They played out of their minds.  It started happening in the second half of the Pats game, carried over to this week.  Their blitz pick up was outstanding.  I said it all last week after watching the all 22, this is the should the permanent line up moving forward.  

The scary part of Zach playing the best game of his career, is the Jets scored 18 offensive points on a night where they had just as many plays as the Chiefs and they ran the ball 6.8 per clip and forced 2 turnovers.  While encouraging, that aint going to cut it.  So hopefully this is one of those stepping stone moments and we see more drives converting in the future but there was TD's left on the field last night.

Yeah, the one miss to Wilson(?) running free toward the deep right sideline that would have been six was a killer. Overall, his accuracy was still ass and balls, but you’ll take it as long as he’s pushing the ball and giving his receivers chances to make plays. I was just goo-goo eyed over the OL playing well and we saw what Hackett’s vision for the offense is when the line blocks and the QB isn’t bailing. Lazard working deep from the slot and Garrett Wilson torturing dudes underneath. I know that shoe-gazing hater worms like @Beerfish and @Mogglez think this team sucks, but they’d be 3-1 easily if Rodgers was healthy, and I think they’d have been able to challenge the Cowboys. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Hal said:

I think Zach seemed way more in command.   He wasn’t indecisive staying on the first read.   When he was on the move extending plays he was a danger to the defense to pass. 

He was far from perfect but it looked like what he has been in practice.  He was making his team better around him until the fumble.  

It looked like a significant step forward.  You can’t load the box against the QB who played last night.  

I thought that the light came on for him a bit when he was gifted a succession of clean pockets. One of his major failings is that he has no inherent sense of where the pass rush is coming from, so his pocket presence is always a chinese fire drill. Zach is historically pretty good when not pressured, and we saw why last night. When he can just hang out and throw it, it looks pretty. 

• Upvote 2