Cimini: Locker room is grumbling about Wilson, team is close to imploding

T0mShane

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Since you guys are bumping this thread, I thought it was wild that Saleh’s big takeaway from this season was “We should have never trusted Zach Wilson” and his takeaway from the last three years was “we never should have drafted Zach Wilson.”

Should never have trusted Zach?  Maybe that’s a little harsh because it implies he was the whole problem.  Does saleh e.ver think his porous oline has any impact? Or how about their inability to run block?  Or maybe it was not having a receiver to replace Davis?  Keep zach clean and he function pretty darn well and he was much better than last season.  And Zach wouldn’t be the first qb to bail out if the line was such a sieve.  And that’s assuming the concussion isn’t real.  I think it is.  Zach took quite a pounding this season.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, 🤡 Joe Douglas, thank you! 😂

Lamar Jackson completed 23-of-35 passes for 252 yards and two touchdowns in the Ravens’ 33-19, Week 16 win over the 49ers, adding 45 yards on seven carries. 
Jackson looked every bit the part of an MVP frontrunner against a good 49ers defense, playing four quarters of turnover-free ball and leading the team to a convincing cross-conference victory over one of the top teams in the league - on the road, to boot. The Ravens have now rattled off five wins in a row and appear to be peaking at the right time, setting up another potential thriller in Week 17 against the Dolphins. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed. 

How did MVP candidate Brock Purdy look when the OL collapsed yesterday?  Yet people think he'd still be very good, even if he had to deal with what ZW has to (terrible OL and only 1 legit WR).

The Jets have completely mishandled ZW (after they completely mishandled Sam Darnold).  Now we're going into next season with a 40 year old QB who is coming off major surgery.  And our GM isn't going to take a 1st round QB to back-fill the position (despite us desperately needing a replacement in another 1-2 years).

I get what you’re trying to do, but the Jets having an awful OL and Zach Wilson sucking are not mutually exclusive.

Even before AVT went down in Denver last year, Wilson couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn.  He somehow irrettrievably “lost his confidence” after a win (this has never been explained) and was a shell of even his old bad self the rest of the way.

The firing of LaFleur indicates a fallout betweeen the two, with the franchise choosing Wilson over the coach.

Now we are stuck with Hackett only, whereas LaFleur calling plays and Hackett being some kind of “senior advisor” would have been much better.

Rodgers just wants him around in any capacity.

As for Brock, Ravens have an elite D and Purdy had one awful game.

In the preponderance of ZW’s starts he hasn’t even looked semi-functional whereas Purdy was a legit MVP candidate until last night.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I get what you’re trying to do, but the Jets having an awful OL and Zach Wilson sucking are not mutually exclusive.

Even before AVT went down in Denver last year, Wilson couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn.  He somehow irrettrievably “lost his confidence” after a win (this has never been explained) and was a shell of even his old bad self the rest of the way.

The firing of LaFleur indicates a fallout betweeen the two, with the franchise choosing Wilson over the coach.

Now we are stuck with Hackett only, whereas LaFleur calling plays and Hackett being some kind of “senior advisor” would have been much better.

Rodgers just wants him around in any capacity.

As for Brock, Ravens have an elite D and Purdy had one awful game.

In the preponderance of ZW’s starts he hasn’t even looked semi-functional whereas Purdy was a legit MVP candidate until last night.

I think ZW absolutely svcked his 1st 2 years.  But I do think he legit improved this year (and this year only).

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think ZW absolutely svcked his 1st 2 years.  But I do think he legit improved this year (and this year only).

Zach sucks so much his local pizza parlor paid him to stay away.

Zach sucks so much he can’t even get a Rao’s endorsement.

Zach sucks so much that… I gotta stop. This is too easy.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Zach sucks so much his local pizza parlor paid him to stay away.

Zach sucks so much he can’t even get a Rao’s endorsement.

Zach sucks so much that… I gotta stop. This is too easy.

Now how about some Zach's mama jokes?

Zach's mom is so........., that she.........!

eh...   maybe not.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Since you guys are bumping this thread, I thought it was wild that Saleh’s big takeaway from this season was “We should have never trusted Zach Wilson” and his takeaway from the last three years was “we never should have drafted Zach Wilson.”

Better late then never??? Right? Heh heh...

But seriously, It's dumb they're now realizing they should've had a better back up plan but it is what it is now. I fully expect them overhaul the QB room. Probably be Rodgers - Brissett - Rookie QB from the 4th-5th round. Or a 2nd year guy at QB3.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed. 

How did MVP candidate Brock Purdy look when the OL collapsed yesterday?  Yet people think he'd still be very good, even if he had to deal with what ZW has to (terrible OL and only 1 legit WR).

The Jets have completely mishandled ZW (after they completely mishandled Sam Darnold).  Now we're going into next season with a 40 year old QB who is coming off major surgery.  And our GM isn't going to take a 1st round QB to back-fill the position (despite us desperately needing a replacement in another 1-2 years).

I am in no way defending Zach or comparing him to Mahomes, but Mahomes with weapon issues and a suspect OL has  been basically the 20th QB in the NFL or so. When you almost literally (12 in 14 games) start a new OL every week it is impossible to evaluate a QB. Zach is done here though

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Better late then never??? Right? Heh heh...

But seriously, It's dumb they're now realizing they should've had a better back up plan but it is what it is now. I fully expect them overhaul the QB room. Probably be Rodgers - Brissett - Rookie QB from the 4th-5th round. Or a 2nd year guy at QB3.

Will next year's excuse be "We didn't realize we needed a competent OL!  We'll make sure that we do a heck of a lot better with it in '25"?

2 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

I am in no way defending Zach or comparing him to Mahomes, but Mahomes with weapon issues and a suspect OL has  been basically the 20th QB in the NFL or so. When you almost literally (12 in 14 games) start a new OL every week it is impossible to evaluate a QB. Zach is done here though

That's perfectly fair.  I don't know if ZW will be good but I do think he was badly mishandled here.  And I think he's improved a good deal in his 3rd year, despite getting criticism from every angle.  To me, that's a very positive sign.  But I agree that it's extremely difficult to evaluate a QB when the OL is such a disaster (not to mention that we only have 1 WR).

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

To answer the several replies I received about Saleh’s comments, this chart encapsulates The Zach Problem pretty well as it relates to dragging the offense down. This is Time to Throw v. Accuracy %. Obviously, a higher time to throw compromises your pass blocking, and having a bad accuracy rate screws your receivers. Not factored into the below graph is the fact that Zach also doesn’t throw it downfield often and doesn’t run the ball often enough to explain the higher time to throw (which isn’t the case with the QBs holding it as long as he does). You can say that Zach was victimized by poor pass blocking, coaching, etc, but the plays he’s running aren’t designed to make him hold the ball for 3 seconds, and every OL goes to hell when it’s asked to pass block for longer than 2.5. ALSO add to this that Zach has been historically bad against the blitz, so not only is he holding the ball a long time, but DC’s have no fear of sending the blitz after him, which compounds the problem even more. Bottom line, Zach Wilson hurts everything else on the team.

IMG_4786.jpeg

Horrible 

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

To answer the several replies I received about Saleh’s comments, this chart encapsulates The Zach Problem pretty well as it relates to dragging the offense down. This is Time to Throw v. Accuracy %. Obviously, a higher time to throw compromises your pass blocking, and having a bad accuracy rate screws your receivers. Not factored into the below graph is the fact that Zach also doesn’t throw it downfield often and doesn’t run the ball often enough to explain the higher time to throw (which isn’t the case with the QBs holding it as long as he does). You can say that Zach was victimized by poor pass blocking, coaching, etc, but the plays he’s running aren’t designed to make him hold the ball for 3 seconds, and every OL goes to hell when it’s asked to pass block for longer than 2.5. ALSO add to this that Zach has been historically bad against the blitz, so not only is he holding the ball a long time, but DC’s have no fear of sending the blitz after him, which compounds the problem even more. Bottom line, Zach Wilson hurts everything else on the team.

IMG_4786.jpeg

Hmm, Derrick Carr.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Wonder what his excuse is going to be next year when he misses the playoffs again with Rodgers.

He won't need an excuse because nobody would be asking him questions other than the unemployment office.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1