NY Knicks Thread (2023-2024)

Tezza

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

These are excusable losses given the injuries and the run they went on the prior month, but it's tough because every game looks like it's going to matter going forward. East is really tough this year and Cleveland is playing out of their mind lately too. 

That was a BS call on JB to end the game. Rockets player stuck out his arm to initiate contact.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, slimjasi said:

This team has to get healthy 

can’t win missing 5 of your top 6 guys 

I think DDV, IH back 1st game after break. JR will be eased back into rotation 10 days after along with Robinson. OG is the big ? Uncertain how tough he is. Is he Randle/Brunson tough or soft like Robinson?

Hoping to see OG by mid-to-late March at the latest.

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I think DDV, IH back 1st game after break. JR will be eased back into rotation 10 days after along with Robinson. OG is the big ? Uncertain how tough he is. Is he Randle/Brunson tough or soft like Robinson?

Hoping to see OG by mid-to-late March at the latest.

I got the impression from what a few of the reporters were saying that OG will be back before Randle, but either way, we need both guys back healthy a couple of weeks before the playoffs to have a shot at making a run. And Robinson would also be huge. 

I think if we get DDV, IH, and Bojan back right after break, we can survive until OG and Randle come back. 

19 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I got the impression from what a few of the reporters were saying that OG will be back before Randle, but either way, we need both guys back healthy a couple of weeks before the playoffs to have a shot at making a run. And Robinson would also be huge. 

I think if we get DDV, IH, and Bojan back right after break, we can survive until OG and Randle come back. 

35 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

OG's injury was significantly less serious than Randle's. He had surgery - but it was considered very minor. 

OG was slated to miss a minimum of 3 weeks, while Randle was set to get re-evaluated in 3 weeks. 

7 hours ago, slimjasi said:

OG's injury was significantly less serious than Randle's. He had surgery - but it was considered very minor. 

OG was slated to miss a minimum of 3 weeks, while Randle was set to get re-evaluated in 3 weeks. 

Because of OG injury history and JR playing thru injuries I flipped their time frame. 😁

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Because of OG injury history and JR playing thru injuries I flipped their time frame. 😁

I hear you 

I want Randle to come back as close to full strength as possible 

worried he’ll re-injure it if he pushes it 

• Upvote 1

Nice way to come out of the break!

Precious Double-Double

Hart Double-Double 

Bojan 6-6 from 3 and 22 points

Bad shooting night from JB but went to FL 11-11

Sims 10 boards. 
IH with 11 minutes to play into game shape.
Boston next game tomorrow MSG

Edited by 32EBoozer

Its a long story, but I'm actually a Jets/Yankees/Celtics fan. Knicks played well last night considering the injuries they are dealing with, but its going to be hard for anyone to beat the Celtics if they keep shooting that way. 

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Got by the Pistons by a pubic hair! We need OG, Mitchell and Randle back next week.

forgot where I saw it but OG said he'd "hopefully" play again in the regular season. Not sure if that was a deliberately vague answer but didn't love it

Just now, Asymmetrical said:

forgot where I saw it but OG said he'd "hopefully" play again in the regular season. Not sure if that was a deliberately vague answer but didn't love it

I also just saw that he might get on the practice court as soon as the end of the week so maybe I'm being dramatic

Much needed W last night in Cleveland. 2 teams playing shorthanded of their star players. We have good depth now.

McBride stepped up and showed he has skills on both sides of ball. DDV has been an outstanding signing as has “do everything well” Hart.

Might as well give JB the night off against Boston. We’re not beating that team w/o our full aray of stars.

• Upvote 1

Great win vs. an up & coming Orlando team. JB returned to have a great game & Hart continues to prove to be a very good all-around player and great value contract. The Prince had good night as well as McBride showing why Knicks didn’t include him in trades.

OG practicing again and hopefully cleared for games soon!

Any Knicks fans remaining? This board has been awfully quiet of late.

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 2

I worry about wearing Brunson out. It's an even split with him - he's a burly midget who not only takes a lot of contact (often not called) but he initiates a bunch, too, to get space.

I pray Thibs sees the light (or hears it from his assistants) to keep to a ten man rotation now that he's got the personnel - otherwise the key pieces will have nothing left for the playoffs. Hart, Hartenstein, Anobey, Brunson and DeVin all fall into this category.

21 hours ago, Bungaman said:

I worry about wearing Brunson out. It's an even split with him - he's a burly midget who not only takes a lot of contact (often not called) but he initiates a bunch, too, to get space.

I pray Thibs sees the light (or hears it from his assistants) to keep to a ten man rotation now that he's got the personnel - otherwise the key pieces will have nothing left for the playoffs. Hart, Hartenstein, Anobey, Brunson and DeVin all fall into this category.

Thibs has done a great job this year but he is who he is. He runs his guys into the ground like he breathes oxygen. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/16/2024 at 9:44 AM, Asymmetrical said:

Thibs has done a great job this year but he is who he is. He runs his guys into the ground like he breathes oxygen. 

Despite his reputation, there isn't really evidence for this - at least not this year

There are no Knicks in the top 10 in MPG this season and only two Knicks are even in the top 20:

Randle is 14th at 35.4 MPG and Brunson is currently 20th with 35.2 MPG

After that, the next highest is OG at 39th ( 34.0 MPG)

17 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Despite his reputation, there isn't really evidence for this - at least not this year

There are no Knicks in the top 10 in MPG this season and only two Knicks are even in the top 20:

Randle is 14th at 35.4 MPG and Brunson is currently 20th with 35.2 MPG

After that, the next highest is OG at 39th ( 34.0 MPG)

during our beautiful January stretch I think all 3 were top 15 in mpg. Ihart was playing huge minutes before his Achilles went wonky. I think, to his credit, Thibs is trying to resist his darker urges when it comes to Brunson, who takes a lot of abuse. 

1 minute ago, Asymmetrical said:

during our beautiful January stretch I think all 3 were top 15 in mpg.

I don’t know if this is true (do you have a source for this?), but either way:

no Knick has been in the top 10 in MPG all season.

That right there kinda makes it a non-story this year. 

Hart plays a ton because he’s the versatile glue guy who fits with everyone and IHart was playing a ton before his Achilles got sore because the Knicks interior defense was a million times worse when he wasn’t on the floor (because we’ve been missing Mitch all year ). 

injuries have forced Thibs’ hand this year in some spots, but the idea that he’s running this team Into the ground isn’t supported by data this year (and I don’t believe it was last year, either). 

23 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I don’t know if this is true (do you have a source for this?), but either way:

no Knick has been in the top 10 in MPG all season.

That right there kinda makes it a non-story this year. 

Hart plays a ton because he’s the versatile glue guy who fits with everyone and IHart was playing a ton before his Achilles got sore because the Knicks interior defense was a million times worse when he wasn’t on the floor (because we’ve been missing Mitch all year ). 

injuries have forced Thibs’ hand this year in some spots, but the idea that he’s running this team Into the ground isn’t supported by data this year (and I don’t believe it was last year, either). 

From a January 26th article. I was wrong, it was top 20 not 15. I think Thibs has done a great job this year, really. I do worry about a couple guys being spent by the time that the playoffs roll around but I get that the injuries have forced his hand to a large extent. 

And then there is the matter of workload. Tom Thibodeau, I'm afraid, may be returning to his bullsh*t: Since the trade, three Knicks starters (Anunoby, Randle, and Brunson) are in the NBA's top 20 in minutes per game, even factoring in three blowout victories that allowed Thibodeau to extend some garbage-time minutes to his reserves. It's when the games are close that Thibodeau's habit of leaning excessively on his best players takes over: In a recent four-day span, for instance, Anunoby played at least 42 minutes in three consecutive games. Brunson's minutes have been more carefully managed this season, but he topped 40 in that Wizards game. Thibodeau is a very successful coach and his teams do smart things but it was possible to miss during the run in Chicago that his real coaching innovation wasn't loaded strong-side defense so much as it was that he almost never used his bench, a strategy that caused his best players to age like unrefrigerated fish. If preserving Brunson, Randle, and Anunoby for the playoffs is a priority, the Knicks might not be done wheeling and dealing.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Cleveland lost last night. We need a win over Nets and a Magic loss tonight vs. Kings. 
Coming down to the wire!

Thank you Sacramento!

109-107 win over Magic. Knicks 1/2 game up again and 1 game back of Cleveland with a game in hand.

3 behind Bucks with 20 games to go. Robinson coming back soon. Need him for the SA game & the French freak!

Detroit, Toronto & SA next week!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Thank you Sacramento!

109-107 win over Magic. Knicks 1/2 game up again and 1 game back of Cleveland with a game in hand.

3 behind Bucks with 20 games to go. Robinson coming back soon. Need him for the SA game & the French freak!

Detroit, Toronto & SA next week!

Only 12 games left! 

Running out of time to get guys back healthy 

sounds like Mitch and OG will play in the playoffs. Randle TBD

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Only 12 games left! 

Running out of time to get guys back healthy 

sounds like Mitch and OG will play in the playoffs. Randle TBD

Wow! You’re right. I like our closing schedule best. 

image.thumb.png.c052836674a09b8177af955565c2a376.png

image.thumb.png.c0252a3639c91c4d248a3b0a9e569c50.png

image.thumb.png.07d695f8c363b90afda73991347504e1.png