NY Knicks Thread (2023-2024)

Tezza

@slimjasi

Not a great shooting night for the Knicks. JB carried them throughout the game. 
Here’s the way we won….. 

Knicks +14 rebounds ( +16 OReb) Precious 16/ Hartenstein 19

Knicks took 10 more shots despite 39.8% FG & horrendous 21% 3-Pt

Looks as if Halliburton played only 21 minutes… big loss for Pacers

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

@slimjasi

Not a great shooting night for the Knicks. JB carried them throughout the game. 
Here’s the way we won….. 

Knicks +14 rebounds ( +16 OReb) Precious 16/ Hartenstein 19

Knicks took 10 more shots despite 39.8% FG & horrendous 21% 3-Pt

Looks as if Halliburton played only 21 minutes… big loss for Pacers

the rebounding and Brunson being an MVP caliber player won the game 

Big win 

Sucks about Halliburton, but the Knicks were missing 3 of their best 4 players. We’ll call it “even”

• Upvote 2

The second half of this game was one of the most inspiring wins I can remember in a long time: the intensity the team brought/showed was playoff level. I think the Pacers were surprised by the sustained ferocity of it all, and they slowly got worn down by it. IIRC, the rebounding difference was 60-44. The Knicks had no letup, even though they shot pretty poorly - they kept after it.

It's become must see TV for me. While I still have to rely on crappy bootleg feeds, I am anticipating an upgrade this spring from my Neanderthalic 10MB/7690K DSL service to fiber, as I have been passing the trucks putting it up on the phone poles on my dirt road the past two weeks. I will be able to unbunch my crusty undies for a change.

• Upvote 1

Precious, Hartenstein, and Hart are just a beast of a trio to have on the court at the same time on the glass. 

I don't think this streak is surprising at all. Knicks schedule was brutal the first 30 games of the season. The fact that they made it through the way they did spoke volumes. MSG crew was predicting for a while that they would go on a run after Christmas.

I may have to splurge for Saturday's game. Not sure if this is going to be Lebron's last time at the Garden but I wouldn't want to miss it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

This is just S.A.D.

2018 Draft:

#9 NY Knicks select Kevin Knox (BUST)

#10 76ers select Mikal Bridges (+ Player)

#11 Hornets select Shai Gilgeous Alexander (STUD)

Depressing!

I just never understood the Knox pick. There was next to nothing in his career up to that point that indicated that he would be a productive pro.  

5 hours ago, Bungaman said:

I just never understood the Knox pick. There was next to nothing in his career up to that point that indicated that he would be a productive pro.  

Maybe the Knicks don't scout Canadian players?

SGA leads the league in +-

3rd in Pts. avg. at 31.3

1st in steals/game at 2.3

I hope they MAKE Brunson sit through the All-Star break, though getting him to not play in the AS game will be difficult - I'm sure he wants to play badly. He's got to maximize healing time and shave off as many minutes of playing time as he/they can.

Time for the new guy Flynn (?) to get some time on the court and be the "next man up." Achuwa has done that with Randall's minutes. Thibs has got to loosen his steel substitution sphincter and have the bench players ready to come in and hold leads late in blowouts so the starters can get extra rest like most other teams do it. Otherwise, we'll get to the playoff and the important starters will be spent.

Mixed feelings about this trade. Knicks have one of the deepest rotations in the league now and the horses to legitimately make a run at Boston, but man, I was a huge Grimes fan and always saw him as a long-term Knick. 

Knicks finally have the necessary amount shooters they’ve needed desperately the last two years. That’s for damn sure. They are a better team this year for it and with Embiid out they have to go for it this year. 

• Upvote 1

Well the talking heads on tv all seem to think the Knicks are the big winners today for what it is worth.

The Raptors are just sad now, they can;t make any moves to get good now or in the future so they just go after Canadian players.

No way they should be dealing 1st rounders in any trade no matter how weak the 2024 draft is.

Yeah I am Canadian and we have one Bball team so I can talk about the Raptors.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Mixed feelings about this trade. Knicks have one of the deepest rotations in the league now and the horses to legitimately make a run at Boston, but man, I was a huge Grimes fan and always saw him as a long-term Knick. 

Knicks finally have the necessary amount shooters they’ve needed desperately the last two years. That’s for damn sure. They are a better team this year for it and with Embiid out they have to go for it this year. 

Agree on Grimes. Lot’s of potential.

Bogdo is a very good pickup. Smart, makes the right decisions, can make the pressure shot (unlike Hart) and fits in defensively with Tibs system.

Burks also plays smart and in control and distributes the ball well. 70% of what IQ brought to the table , but cost us very little for both. 
Kendrick Perkins said Knicks are as deep as the Pacific Ocean & ready to compete for a title

the office GIF

Knicks did a great job keeping this quiet heading into trade deadline. Way to go Leon. 4 tough matchups heading into ASB. .500 would be incredible without JR, OG, Robinson and a banged-up Brunson.

New York Knicks forward OG Anunobyunderwent surgery to remove a loose bone fragment in his right elbow on Thursday, and sources tell ESPN that he's expected to resume basketball activities in three weeks.

Anunoby's procedure was considered minor, and the belief is that he'll be fully healed to play for the Knicks' stretch run and playoffs, sources said. Anunoby has missed five straight games and will miss four more before the All-Star break that begins for the Knicks on Feb. 15.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Agree on Grimes. Lot’s of potential.

Bogdo is a very good pickup. Smart, makes the right decisions, can make the pressure shot (unlike Hart) and fits in defensively with Tibs system.

Burks also plays smart and in control and distributes the ball well. 70% of what IQ brought to the table , but cost us very little for both. 
Kendrick Perkins said Knicks are as deep as the Pacific Ocean & ready to compete for a title

Healthy they’re the second best roster in the east. Best shot they have at a title is the 2 seed and not having to catch Boston till the end. 

But we’ll see. I think this might be Tatum’s year. Just a gut feeling. 

• Upvote 1

I love what the Knicks did, they need knock down shooters and now, they're even more deep and while Grimes was a nice little player w/ potential, he's not the shooter you were hoping him to be and this adds that missing element.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Well the talking heads on tv all seem to think the Knicks are the big winners today for what it is worth.

I think it's the salary aspect of things that have everyone going nuts over it. Burks expires this year and they essentially traded Fournier's contract out for  Bogan's contract so it's an even swap, except Bogan's deal only has 2 million guaranteed, so they can cut him too if they want.

There had been talk of holding off on trading Fournier and picking up his option if they couldn't move him simply because his contract would be so valuable. Now they were able to keep the number but also add a guy that can actually play and play well. Factor in the fact that they gave up no first rounders in anything and watching the Knicks improve without sacrificing their cap or picks is kind of bizarre for them. 

No matter what happens this year they are still set up fantastic capwise and draftwise. Hard to believe we're talking about the Knicks here.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Healthy they’re the second best roster in the east. Best shot they have at a title is the 2 seed and not having to catch Boston till the end. 

But we’ll see. I think this might be Tatum’s year. Just a gut feeling. 

Brown will blast off one game and Porzingis will blast off another game and somebody will win two of the other five and they will lose a series.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think it's the salary aspect of things that have everyone going nuts over it. Burks expires this year and they essentially traded Fournier's contract out for  Bogan's contract so it's an even swap, except Bogan's deal only has 2 million guaranteed, so they can cut him too if they want.

There had been talk of holding off on trading Fournier and picking up his option if they couldn't move him simply because his contract would be so valuable. Now they were able to keep the number but also add a guy that can actually play and play well. Factor in the fact that they gave up no first rounders in anything and watching the Knicks improve without sacrificing their cap or picks is kind of bizarre for them. 

No matter what happens this year they are still set up fantastic capwise and draftwise. Hard to believe we're talking about the Knicks here.

You are so right. If they get healthy and make a deep run, they won't have to over pay for anyone, and if they keep playing the front office games slow and smart (stay away, Dolan!), eventually bigger names will want to sign on as free agents, and trading assets (while overpaying) won't be the problem.

4 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Brown will blast off one game and Porzingis will blast off another game and somebody will win two of the other five and they will lose a series.

I agree that they don't pass the ball enough, rely too much on iso, and have a history (albeit limited) of choking when the lights get bright, but they're the best rebounding team in the league this season and Tatum looks like he's making a Kobe-level leap some time within the next year. Knicks will be a nightmare matchup for them if they can stay healthy given their litany of shooters and the fact that they're the best perimeter defense in the league since the OG trade. But I dunno, best player on the floor makes the difference IMO.

4 hours ago, Bungaman said:

You are so right. If they get healthy and make a deep run, they won't have to over pay for anyone, and if they keep playing the front office games slow and smart (stay away, Dolan!), eventually bigger names will want to sign on as free agents, and trading assets (while overpaying) won't be the problem.

Supposedly they checked in on Wiggins. I wonder if they'll revisit those talks over the summer. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2024 at 9:23 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Barrett gone spreads everything out. Locking McBride up on the cheap in the aftermath of moving Quickley looks brilliant so far. 

OG looks good so far. Hartenstein playing out of his mind and turning into ‘99 Camby is certainly helping mitigate any adjustment period. 

Thank God they finally got rid of Barrett ...Butler ate him alive last year . Guy was terribly inconsistent

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Supposedly they checked in on Wiggins. I wonder if they'll revisit those talks over the summer. 

With our draft ammunition, I would hope we can do better than Wiggins! We need a lead dog, similar to LeBron, Mitchell, Butler etc. thus making JB our #1A scoring option and JR an impressive #3 option. I realize Brunson has been lighting it up at 30+ on consecutive nights over & over, but they’re burning him out. There’s a puzzle piece out there next summer that can get us over the top if we come up short this year.

I think we have enough to get to the Championship, with terrific depth, but getting Lebron would likely have sealed it. Guy does everything and the moment is never too big for him. Too bad this would require a rebuild following the assets needed to acquire him or the others I mentioned. Is The Ring worth it?

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

With our draft ammunition, I would hope we can do better than Wiggins! We need a lead dog, similar to LeBron, Mitchell, Butler etc. thus making JB our #1A scoring option and JR an impressive #3 option. I realize Brunson has been lighting it up at 30+ on consecutive nights over & over, but they’re burning him out. There’s a puzzle piece out there next summer that can get us over the top if we come up short this year.

I think we have enough to get to the Championship, with terrific depth, but getting Lebron would likely have sealed it. Guy does everything and the moment is never too big for him. Too bad this would require a rebuild following the assets needed to acquire him or the others I mentioned. Is The Ring worth it?

Who knows. Lebron probably goes where ever his son goes. 

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

It would be a mistake for Bronny to come out. He has not shown anything special. 
Lebron better off getting another ring

image.thumb.png.6ce5933f15840f6e80a46fcc8e737414.png

He had a heart attack at the beginning of the season. If he decides to come Out my guess is he still gets drafted just by someone wanting to lure his dad away. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He had a heart attack at the beginning of the season. If he decides to come Out my guess is he still gets drafted just by someone wanting to lure his dad away. 

LeBron has created generational wealth. Let Bronny walk his own path and be happy…. not a part of “your story”. Young man is carrying a lot of expectations on his shoulders. I wish him all the best.

These are excusable losses given the injuries and the run they went on the prior month, but it's tough because every game looks like it's going to matter going forward. East is really tough this year and Cleveland is playing out of their mind lately too. 

This is the best season the league has had in over a decade, and I think even more exciting because of the generational shift that's happening with the passing of the guard. Would have been nice had the Knicks hit this stride 5 years ago when everything was up for grabs but I'll take it.

The playoffs are going to be awesome. You look at the top 4-5 teams in both conferences and it's reasonable to envision any of them winning a ring.

• Upvote 1