NY Knicks Thread (2023-2024)

Tezza

I do worry that Thibs will run the starters down and they'll having nothing left for the playoff run. I also panic that Dolan will lean on his FO guys to do something splashy (and stupid) before the trade deadline, because ... that's who he is.

The current team chemistry seems to be good. Roster turnover is an underrated problem in basketball, and I don't want him/them to mess with it more, and up the percentage to 40% of the starting lineup - and I'm not even factoring in IH's ascension in Mitch's injury absence. That would count for less, given that he's been on the team for two years, and his teammates know how he plays , but still.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I do worry that Thibs will run the starters down and they'll having nothing left for the playoff run. I also panic that Dolan will lean on his FO guys to do something splashy (and stupid) before the trade deadline, because ... that's who he is.

The current team chemistry seems to be good. Roster turnover is an underrated problem in basketball, and I don't want him/them to mess with it more, and up the percentage to 40% of the starting lineup - and I'm not even factoring in IH's ascension in Mitch's injury absence. That would count for less, given that he's been on the team for two years, and his teammates know how he plays , but still.  

The good news is that I'm not sure there is an obvious star to sell the farm for right now. Mitchell has been the long term target for a while, but the Cavs are right in the mix in the East and it doesn't sound like they want to move on from him yet. Also, one wonders how viable a Brunson/Mitchell backcourt even is given how undersized they would be.

There was some Towns smoke before the season, but Minny is currently hanging on to the best record in the West. 

To me, the obvious move to make is to add another scorer to the bench, which shouldn't cost you too much more than Fournier's expiring and draft picks  and/or minor pieces. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

The good news is that I'm not sure there is an obvious star to sell the farm for right now. Mitchell has been the long term target for a while, but the Cavs are right in the mix in the East and it doesn't sound like they want to move on from him yet. Also, one wonders how viable a Brunson/Mitchell backcourt even is given how undersized they would be.

There was some Towns smoke before the season, but Minny is currently hanging on to the best record in the West. 

To me, the obvious move to make is to add another scorer to the bench, which shouldn't cost you too much more than Fournier's expiring and draft picks  and/or minor pieces. 

Murray is the obvious target but there are a lot of teams in on that mix. The good news for the Knicks is they know Atl loves Grimes. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Luka out tomorrow. Robinson exception denied because he might be back. This is how it happens. You get rid of all the chuckers and you just start catching every single break.

If Mitch is going to be back for the playoffs then they have to go all-in on landing a top 4 seed so they can let him play himself back into shape in that first series. That would be nuts if he makes it back. 

On 1/11/2024 at 5:33 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

If Mitch is going to be back for the playoffs then they have to go all-in on landing a top 4 seed so they can let him play himself back into shape in that first series. That would be nuts if he makes it back. 

With the way Hartenstein is playing, Even if Mitch plays himself into game shape the first round, we should be ok versus a lesser caliber team 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 9:13 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

When Randle is on, man is he on. Such a throwback to the Riley years. 

Agreed. Riley team was sooo physical. Oakley was a hard ass, as was Ewing. Randle could have fit in on that team nicely. 
Brunson just amazes me. Physically, he’s a JAG but mentally, he’s like Cousy. See’s everything and nearly always makes the right decision.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Agreed. Riley team was sooo physical. Oakley was a hard ass, as was Ewing. Randle could have fit in on that team nicely. 
Brunson just amazes me. Physically, he’s a JAG but mentally, he’s like Cousy. See’s everything and nearly always makes the right decision.

It’s his footwork. Hard to think of scoring dominant PG’s that were as good from 3 and mid-range as him. I think the best comp for him is Iverson during the second half of his career but he’s a way more efficient scorer. 

His interior footwork is nuts though. McGrady and Garnett were discussing on KG’s podcast  that the biggest difference between this new generation and the previous ones is the footwork these guys are capable of and I think you have to put Brunson right at the top of that list. 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It’s his footwork. Hard to think of scoring dominant PG’s that were as good from 3 and mid-range as him. I think the best comp for him is Iverson during the second half of his career but he’s a way more efficient scorer. 

His interior footwork is nuts though. McGrady and Garnett were discussing on KG’s podcast  that the biggest difference between this new generation and the previous ones is the footwork these guys are capable of and I think you have to put Brunson right at the top of that list. 

Footwork in what sense? Quick-twitch ability defending the ball or creating space offensively?

13 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Knicks are ballin 

This is a good team 

Our conference is tough! Pacers landing Siakem is huge. 1st game 31 points in win  vs. Suns (Toppin 25/11 RBs)

We need to add another player to get ready for playoff push. Brown would be a good get. Still need a scorer off bench to replace IQ.

37 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Our conference is tough! Pacers landing Siakem is huge. 1st game 31 points in win  vs. Suns (Toppin 25/11 RBs)

We need to add another player to get ready for playoff push. Brown would be a good get. Still need a scorer off bench to replace IQ.

It will be interesting to see who they get 

The Knicks curse is almost as bad as the Jets one, though I don't know who is responsible.

Hartenstein better stay healthy from here on out, because his minutes won't be going down, now that Sims will be backing him up almost exclusively. I suspect Achiuwa will come off the bench for a big piece of Randle's minutes, rather than as a smallball center, so Hart doesn't get ground into pulp at power forward.

Sigh.

15 hours ago, Bungaman said:

The Knicks curse is almost as bad as the Jets one, though I don't know who is responsible.

Hartenstein better stay healthy from here on out, because his minutes won't be going down, now that Sims will be backing him up almost exclusively. I suspect Achiuwa will come off the bench for a big piece of Randle's minutes, rather than as a smallball center, so Hart doesn't get ground into pulp at power forward.

Sigh.

You nailed it. Almost a Triple-Double for Hart!!

image.thumb.png.b8fe7e1bb2e71d949eded001383012f1.png

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, slimjasi said:

One night later . . . Boom!

8 straight b*tches 

So... Precious is a RFA after this season and OG has a Player Option I believe he will reject. Precious will be tendered an offer and Knicks will have ROFR. OG will most likely get somewhere close to a Max Contract.  It will be curious to see if Leon brings one more stud (D. Mitchell) into the fold and see how he handles keeping some of these players on the roster for LT. 

• Upvote 2

On 1/30/2024 at 9:55 AM, 32EBoozer said:

You nailed it. Almost a Triple-Double for Hart!!

image.thumb.png.b8fe7e1bb2e71d949eded001383012f1.png

I'd like to take credit as a savant, but I'm much closer to the blind squirrel. If my own nuts weren't permanently attached to me, I'd misplace them. 

I watched them on my crappy internet feed last night, and was flabbergasted that they could take down the Hornets with such a shorthanded squad, especially with a much smaller team up front.

Dare I say they actually are playing smart and tenaciously: any team that shows up to play them will get beaten if they don't match the intensity that they seem to muster, especially in the second half. I used to shut off their games in the third quarter, knowing they would slack off or have a mental meltdown and lose - now it's the other teams that are getting pushed into that fate by the Knicks.

• Upvote 2

On 1/31/2024 at 8:55 AM, 32EBoozer said:

So... Precious is a RFA after this season and OG has a Player Option I believe he will reject. Precious will be tendered an offer and Knicks will have ROFR. OG will most likely get somewhere close to a Max Contract.  It will be curious to see if Leon brings one more stud (D. Mitchell) into the fold and see how he handles keeping some of these players on the roster for LT. 

I don't think Mitchell is a great fit

The guy I want is Bridges, I just don't think the Nets will play ball

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

It all depends on what Leon is willing to offer. Bridges is very good to a player.

Supposedly the Nets have turned down inquiries from other teams about Bridges so far and I just have a really hard time seeing the Nets trading anyone of value to the Knicks (the front offices despise each other and the Nets are already so badly overshadowed in NY). 

BUT I think he would fit like a glove 

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Supposedly the Nets have turned down inquiries from other teams about Bridges so far and I just have a really hard time seeing the Nets trading anyone of value to the Knicks (the front offices despise each other and the Nets are already so badly overshadowed in NY). 

BUT I think he would fit like a glove 

Huge game tonight! Pacers are one of the hottest teams in the NBA right now, and sit above us in the second seed. It will be interesting to see how we look without Randall.… As far as Bridges and other teams’ offers, not many teams have the same draft capital that we have. I’m sure Leon could make an offer they could not refuse. 

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Huge game tonight! Pacers are one of the hottest teams in the NBA right now, and sit above us in the second seed. It will be interesting to see how we look without Randall.… As far as Bridges and other teams’ offers, not many teams have the same draft capital that we have. I’m sure Leon could make an offer they could not refuse. 

?

The Pacers are currently the 6th seed and we are currently the 3rd seed. Yes, the Pacers are good. Really want to get OG back for this one. 

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

?

The Pacers are currently the 6th seed and we are currently the 3rd seed. Yes, the Pacers are good. Really want to get OG back for this one. 

Yes, I should have done my due diligence. With Siakam & Haliburton the Pacers are a tough matchup.