Penalties, Stats, and other stuff

JETS SB

Any way you want to look at this game, it was the offense being undisciplined tonight, more than being bad (360+ yards but no TDS) They did drive the ball down the field, especially in the first quarter and the end of the game. But again, couldn’t put it in the end zone, other than of course, the TD called back due to penalty. 

8 penalties for 83 yards. Mostly big penalties at bad times, on the offense, including Zach intentional grounding (he was getting sacked anyways) and chop block on Michael Carter. But the biggest was the Uzomah holding.

I saw at least 5-6 holding penalties on the Raiders. There were probably more. Not called. Seems as though refs just love calling penalties on us, but hardly ever for us. This isn’t just one isolated game. This has been for 2 years.

If you look at all of the other stats, Zach made up for exactly half (54 yards) of the rushing yards (108 yards) and surprisingly, Dalvin Cook was effective, when he rushed tonight. 

Conklin is an effective TE. Uzomah stinks. Conklin caught all 7 targets for 70 yards and is easily Zach’s guy, when Garrett isn’t targeted. 

Breece showed burst, but three big plays, including the TD, called back for penalties. 

Quinnen Williams 3 QB hits, big tackle for loss, pass deflection, and 1/2 sack, while being double teamed and held all night, will hopefully keep the haters in their cages.

And yeah, the offense is terrible, when it matters the most. Zach has been the main reason we have lost games. Tonight he wasn’t. This has to be on the coaches, specifically Saleh and Hackett. The only glaring stat against us was the penalties. We were even decent on 3rd down, nearly 50%. 

Found it interesting  that on a 3rd and 1, Hackett called a run play and the cameras immediately went to Aaron Rodgers and he was shaking his head no, Before the play blew up for a loss and then a punt.  

If a Garrett Wilson WR option pass, to our worst WR (Lazard) is as innovative as we can get, then maybe huge changes need to be made. Unfortunately we are stuck with Hackett, while Rodgers is here and likely all of the rest of the coaches, but maybe give Aaron the keys to the car, and let him make the calls?

We have nothing to lose, other than keep losing. 

• Upvote 4
  • More Ugh 1

4 hours ago, JETS SB said:

If a Garrett Wilson WR option pass, to our worst WR (Lazard) is as innovative as we can get, then maybe huge changes need to be made. Unfortunately we are stuck with Hackett, while Rodgers is here and likely all of the rest of the coaches, but maybe give Aaron the keys to the car, and let him make the calls?

Hackett won't be really calling the plays as Rodgers will be calling plays based on what he sees from the D, which was the idea going into this season.

Season's over, look to the draft and free agency and a healthy Rodgers in 2024.

Beef up the OL, get a real backup QB, get another WR and let's see what we can do.

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Hackett won't be really calling the plays as Rodgers will be calling plays based on what he sees from the D, which was the idea going into this season.

Beef up the OL, get a real backup QB, get another WR and let's see what we can do.

Does that backup qb plan include drafting one?  Not necessarily in round 1, but maybe day 2?  B/c this team has no young QBs on the roster.  

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Forget FA. This organization is so dysfunctional, nobody will want to play here. This makes the Hess years look like the Lombardi Packer years. Just an absolute disgrace.

• Upvote 1

Rodgers and hackett were supposed to be a duo. Hackett installs the game plan, gets the offense on the same page and does all the things an OC is supposed to do. Then on game days, Rodgers would be an extension, basically customizing each play on the field based on what he’s reading from the defense.  Unfortunately, Zach isn’t capable of doing that so we’re stuck with an offensive system that is predictable and has very limited big play potential. Blame Zach, blame the line, blame hackett, blame lazard or CJ, blame whoever you want but at the end of the day, this offense is broken. This season was doomed the moment Rodgers went down. Rodgers was more than a qb, he was the driver of the entire offense.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Rodgers and hackett were supposed to be duo. Hackett installs the game plan, gets the offense on the same page and does all the things an OC is supposed to do. Then on game days, Rodgers would be an extension, basically customizing each play on the field based on what he’s reading from the defense.  Unfortunately, Zach isn’t capable of doing that so we’re stuck with an offensive system that is predictable and has very limited big play potential. Blame Zach, blame the line, blame hackett, blame lazard or CJ, blame whoever you want but at the end of the day, this offense is broken. This season was doomed the moment Rodgers went down.

The Aaron Rodgers experience is a short-term patch for a team that was supposed to be building long-term success.  

Its 50/50 next season is anything worth watching.  The defense will only get worse.   Then in 2025, we are back to 2017 without a real QB.  Hopefully McCown is available. 

1 minute ago, extmenace said:

Rodgers and hackett were supposed to be duo. Hackett installs the game plan, gets the offense on the same page and does all the things an OC is supposed to do. Then on game days, Rodgers would be an extension, basically customizing each play on the field based on what he’s reading from the defense.  Unfortunately, Zach isn’t capable of doing that so we’re stuck with an offensive system that is predictable and has very limited big play potential. Blame Zach, blame the line, blame hackett, blame lazard or CJ, blame whoever you want but at the end of the day, this offense is broken. This season was doomed the moment Rodgers went down.

The problem is that they kept Wilson after they benched him last year and the entire team celebrated.  They only kept him b/c he’s a huge sunk cost and either JD, woody or both didn’t want to admit a fail.  The whole months long saga of the rodgers trade shows how much they wanted to bench Wilson but didn’t have the balls to just cut him and eat the money.  Instead we all get this.  JD and woody get another season of embarrassment where otherwise, the gm has done a decent job adding players who would probably look better with a functional qb.

i get that plan A was rodgers but they screwed the entire team with this plan B.  Now that they can’t bring Wilson back, i just hope the gm knows he better have a better plan B or he’s out.

Just now, varjet said:

The Aaron Rodgers experience is a short-term patch for a team that was supposed to be building long-term success.  

Its 50/50 next season is anything worth watching.  The defense will only get worse.   Then in 2025, we are back to 2017 without a real QB.  Hopefully McCown is available. 

Rodgers was supposed to be the bridge qb so they could get rid of Wilson with little fanfare and then draft someone to sit for a year or two or when rodgers was injured.  

15 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Hackett should be relieved. Rodgers can stick around or not. Doesn’t really matter and the franchise should no longer cater to him. We’re in this position bc we catered to him w/awful signings like Lazard, Cobb & Hackett. It’s a clown show. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Zach has been the main reason we have lost games. Tonight he wasn’t. This has to be on the coaches, specifically Saleh and Hackett.

All you say is true, but Zach was bad. He fumbled the ball, he overthrew receivers, he threw an interception, he got an intentional grounding.

Wilson is so awful that when he goes up to just plain bad, we tend to think that he played well.... but that's just in comparison, but he played bad. He did that because he's a bad QB.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

All you say is true, but Zach was bad. He fumbled the ball, he overthrew receivers, he threw an interception, he got an intentional grounding.

Wilson is so awful that when he goes up to just plain bad, we tend to think that he played well.... but that's just in comparison, but he played bad. He did that because he's a bad QB.

We now grade Wilson on such a curve that i was so pumped when they got fgs on their first 2 drives.  But then you turn on red zone and remember how bad it really is.  

• Post of the Week 1

The innovative play you're knocking, was wide ass open and a good throw from G.Wil and it's a TD.  It was a great play design, a great time to call it and it was there for the taking.  At some point in this league, players gotta make plays.   I know Jets fans love to blame everything on the coaching staff, it's easy, takes zero thought or analysis, and makes you feel better about your wrong assumptions of a players talent but this is the NFL, and the one verified proof point about this league is that; it's a players league and coaching, means very little.

Look no further then the worst team in the league and the fraud named Bill Belicheat.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Does that backup qb plan include drafting one?  Not necessarily in round 1, but maybe day 2?  B/c this team has no young QBs on the roster.  

IT SHOULD! But I seriously doubt it will...although I do think theres a real chance we are drafting top 5-10 when all is said and done, I think we end up with 5 or 6 wins now.

If that's the case then I think we can possible trade down grab a OT and possibly a QB in the 2nd round or something.

But if I had to bet, we're going all in with Rodgers for the next 2 years and everything will focused on supporting the roster for win now. We'll probably sign Minshew-type backup.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

IT SHOULD! But I seriously doubt it will...although I do think theres a real chance we are drafting top 5-10 when all is said and done, I think we end up with 5 or 6 wins now.

If that's the case then I think we can possible trade down grab a OT and possibly a QB in the 2nd round or something.

But if I had to bet, we're going all in with Rodgers for the next 2 years and everything will focused on supporting the roster for win now. We'll probably sign Minshew-type backup.

I hear you but if you’re Douglas, you’re also fighting to keep your job.  Your only big swing and miss was of course Wilson.  So he trades for rodgers while appeasing the owner to keep Wilson and try to fix him but that of course backfires.  So again, if you’re Douglas, and you have, say, the 10th pick and 3 QBs go in the top 9 picks, you have a great opportunity to trade back and get a day 2 pick and then draft a qb on day 2.  If he doesn’t take a qb next draft worth developing you have to wonder if that’s a bat signal that he’s not being allowed to have another shot at one.  

Of course if this season plays out as it is, and rodgers never returns and the jets win 1 more game and get the 7th or 8th pick, at that point you have to think that Douglas may be thinking ok, i have to find a qb in case rodgers gets hurt again to demonstrate that i should continue to be the gm.  So i wonder if that would open it up to take a guy like McCarthy and have him sit until rodgers is hurt.  

27 minutes ago, DireJet said:

Hackett should be relieved. Rodgers can stick around or not. Doesn’t really matter and the franchise should no longer cater to him. We’re in this position bc we catered to him w/awful signings like Lazard, Cobb & Hackett. It’s a clown show. 

You're not wrong at all. I just know how this will all play out. Woody will cater to whatever Rodgers wants as long as he's here and that includes HC, OC, GM, Roster, everything.

That shamash guy is responsible for helping Saleh with analytics, in game decisions, and scouting the referee crew. I posted this so they must have known it. The holding and roughing penalties are even worse given his crew’s reputation 

Shawn Hochuli’s Impact on Jets at Raiders

The New York Jets head to Vegas for the first time to face the rejuvenated Raiders on Sunday Night Football.

Let’s assess the strengths and weaknesses of both teams from a penalty perspective and how the officiating of Shawn Hochuli will potentially impact this game

Penalty Tendencies:

Shawn Hoculi currently ranks fifth overall for offensive holding penalties per game midway through the 2023 season

The Raiders defense has been effective at generating offensive holding penalties on the opposing offense this season, currently ranking eighth overall. The Raiders haven’t done many things well this season, but a bright spot for this team in 2023 has been its defensive front, led by Maxx Crosby

Shawn Hochuli ranks second overall for ineligible man downfield penalties this season. This is not a high volume penalty but extremely impactful. While the result is a five-yard penalty, it’s often negating a 15 or 20-yard play. It is a penalty that has contributed to lower-scoring games his season

Troy Aikman specifically mentioned the Jets’ pre-snap penalty issues on their MNF loss to the Chargers. The primary contributor to the Jets’ pre-snap woes is false start infractions. The Jets offense commits far too many of these, and they simply don’t have the quarterback play to overcome five-yard setbacks

The Raiders offense is responsible for 55% of the team’s overall penalties this season. False start penalties are also an issue with the Vegas offense at the midway point of the season

Shawn Hochuli leads the NFL in roughing the passer penalties

The Jets currently rank third overall for roughing-the-passer penalties

The Jets defensive secondary is one of the most physical and arguably the best overall unit in the NFL. What’s even more impressive is they have been penalized just once all season for defensive pass interference. Frankly, that call was questionable. It was assessed late in the game on SNF versus the Chiefs, a controversial call that essentially ended any chance of a Jets victory

Shawn Hochuli has called very few defensive pass interference penalties in 2023, averaging the third-fewest per game of any referee

• Sympathy 1

Zach played pretty well.  The int was bad mainly because of when it happen but he was moving well in the pocket and made some good throws.  A few drops again. Wilson came very close to coming up with the Hail Mary. But the penalties really need to stop.  A couple were tricky tacky but then there are the ones that come in big moments like uzomahs holding call.  It’s pretty clear they need another receiver. Both Wilson and Lazard were pretty beat up at the end of the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1