Thanksgiving feast questions from a Canadian to my American friends...

Beerfish

@TrotterΒ there’s a wine my grandparents always had, and I stumbled upon it in a liquor store a few years back. I can’t remember the name right now, but I’ll hit you up in a couple weeks with the name of Β it. I always grab a few bottles around Christmas time.

It’s only about $8-9 a bottle (has a yellow label) but it reminds me of the homemade wine that they used to make in Brooklyn basements. It’s the exact opposite of that bougie type wine @Sperm EdwardsΒ  and @Warfish areΒ talking about. πŸ˜‰

Just now, Green Ghost said:

@TrotterΒ there’s a wine my grandparents always had, and I stumbled upon it in a liquor store a few years back. I can’t remember the name right now, but I’ll hit you up in a couple weeks with the name of Β it. I always grab a few bottles around Christmas time.

It’s only about $8-9 a bottle (has a yellow label) but it reminds me of the homemade wine that they used to make in Brooklyn basements. It’s the exact opposite of that bougie type wine @Sperm Edwards is talking about. πŸ˜‰

Let me know

• Upvote 1

Being Italian-Canadian thanksgiving was as the old timers would say,

il giorno du tachinoΒ 

turkey day or not, lasagna, meatballs, even a nice wedding day soup ( little pastene and little meatballs) was always served. The bird was the side attraction.

anyway,Β 

Only until we began Fried turkey did it become something interesting meal-wise.

Grazie America!

Happy thanksgiving to all my American NYJ fans!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

Sounds like a Sangria thing

Sorta, but not really?

. You peel and core the peaches (the softer the better) stuff as many as you can into a carafe of red wine. Let it sit for at least a few hours then you stick a fork in and go to town.Β 
You can get pretty bombed because they’re so tasty you won’t want to stop. When the peaches are gone, then you can drink the wine, which I guess does taste like a sangria by then. πŸ˜‰

3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

My family leaves off the last vowel with a lot of things, and a c is pronounced g. πŸ™„

Rigutt, galamad, gannol etc.

Yup same here but I can’t bring myself to leave off the vowel for ricotta. It sounds like someone scraped their balls on the tip of a thorn bush.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m guessing you go all out on Christmas Eve also with the Seven Fish?

for us its 5 fishes cause none of the new generation goes to crazy for fish. usually Flounder, fried shrimp, galamar, baked clams, Lobster tails. used to makeΒ scungilli salad but only a few eat it.

but im with you guys with Thanksgiving. since we eat late maybe 4-5 pm i buy all Italian cold cuts and olives. tomorrow morning i will buy some fresh twist bread and we will pick on that until the turkey.

you remember tripe? i hate it. i remember they use to always make that when i was a kid. i cant remember what holiday it was. maybe Thanksgiving.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, doitny said:

for us its 5 fishes cause none of the new generation goes to crazy for fish. usually Flounder, fried shrimp, galamar, baked clams, Lobster tails. used to makeΒ scungilli salad but only a few eat it.

but im with you guys with Thanksgiving. since we eat late maybe 4-5 pm i buy all Italian cold cuts and olives. tomorrow morning i will buy some fresh twist bread and we will pick on that until the turkey.

you remember tripe? i hate it. i remember they use to always make that when i was a kid. i cant remember what holiday it was. maybe Thanksgiving.

Agree. Tripe was a one and done thing with me… 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

My wife isn’t Italian so she Cooks a very traditional thanksgiving compared to my mother and grandmother. We always started with a soup, great grandmother made Β a pizza pie to much on while waiting to eat. Usually like a meatball soup. Then they would cook Sunday dinner for the most part. We wouldn’t even eat Turkey typically till sandwiches later in between games. Mom or Grandma sent everyone home Β with Turkey, stuffing, veggies and whatever was left. Sometimes first time you saw something was once you got home. Wouldn’t even make the table. Once dessert started and my grandfather started putting whiskey, Annisette, Frangelico in the black coffee memories faded. Haha So fun back then.Β 

Frangelico - priceless

don’t forget the galiano

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Men who drink wine are insufferable.

This year, in addition to doing the turkey, I'm doing a wine pairing from w/ all the incredible estate bottles we purchased when we visited Paso/Sonoma/Napa during the harvest.Β  We will be starting w/ a delicious Rose, finding our way to a delightful Pinot w/ the Turkey and then busting out a 40 year old Port w/ dessert.Β 

Β 

• Upvote 4
  • Ugh 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

This year, in addition to doing the turkey, I'm doing a wine pairing from w/ all the incredible estate bottles we purchased when we visited Paso/Sonoma/Napa during the harvest.Β  We will be starting w/ a delicious Rose, finding our way to a delightful Pinot w/ the Turkey and then busting out a 40 year old Port w/ dessert.Β 

Β 

80S Dancing GIF

• WTF? 1