Mangini- inexperienced as HC may not matter

faba

For some research work I was doing I found this interesting info- open to discussion

In 1969 a 32 year-old guy with no head coaching experience in the NFL or at a major college program named John Madden became head coach of the Oakland Raiders. In his first year, he went 12-1-1 and won a division title and Coach of the Year honors. Maybe the 35 year old Eric waited three years too long to take this Jets coaching job.

For some research work I was doing I found this interesting info- open to discussion

In 1969 a 32 year-old guy with no head coaching experience in the NFL or at a major college program named John Madden became head coach of the Oakland Raiders. In his first year, he went 12-1-1 and won a division title and Coach of the Year honors. Maybe the 35 year old Eric waited three years too long to take this Jets coaching job.

Unfortunately, I've heard of too many players who said it was Madden that held the team back on gameday ("we should've won like 4 superbowls with that team, blah blah blah"). Think I last remembered it coming from Tim Brown who'd heard it from lots of veterans who frequented Raiders camp while he was there.

As many of us keep saying, we'll see soon enough.

In the immortal words of Jerry Seinfeld, {Begin Seinfeld Voice Here} "I did not know that".

I have faith in Mangini, but then again, I don't have a choice do I? I like the early moves....let's hope it continues.

BTW Max, Johnny Carson's "I did not know that" was better, IMO.

We shalll see with Eric.

But you have to like what has been going on so far. :cheers:

We do? He couldn't sign any of first choices as DC and OC. He couldn't (wouldn't) sign a single free agent or cut player in the Sporting News's list of Super 99 free agents. Dyson, Dwight, Kasssell, von Oeffel, Pope.... none of them made the top 99. Jets lost two of the top ten free agents in John Abraham and Ty Law as well number 27 in Kevin Mawae. The only player in the Super 99 they signed was Chris Baker. All according to The Sporting News.. what do they know, they haven't drunk the green Kool Aid.

If Mangini doesn't equal Herman Edwards record in his first two years, two playoff apppearances and only the second AFC East championship in history, he should be fired. Accountablity is Mangini's watchword.. he should be held accountable to his own standard.

raj

What a second there. Herm got handed a pretty good team with talent. Mangini is getting handed a plate full of steaming dookey with a salary cap problem.

Most coaches hired that young say the job is coming at them at a 100mph. Belichick said as much in his book. Given that Mangini also gets the added pressure of winning in NY coming off a team's most successful period, he is not exactly set-up for success.

He appears to be bright and will rpoibably do better on his next job.

We do? He couldn't sign any of first choices as DC and OC. He couldn't (wouldn't) sign a single free agent or cut player in the Sporting News's list of Super 99 free agents. Dyson, Dwight, Kasssell, von Oeffel, Pope.... none of them made the top 99. Jets lost two of the top ten free agents in John Abraham and Ty Law as well number 27 in Kevin Mawae. The only player in the Super 99 they signed was Chris Baker. All according to The Sporting News.. what do they know, they haven't drunk the green Kool Aid.

If Mangini doesn't equal Herman Edwards record in his first two years, two playoff apppearances and only the second AFC East championship in history, he should be fired. Accountablity is Mangini's watchword.. he should be held accountable to his own standard.

Mangini doesn't have in place what Herm had when he first came here.

Mangini has to fix what Herm ruined.

raj

What a second there. Herm got handed a pretty good team with talent. Mangini is getting handed a plate full of steaming dookey with a salary cap problem.

Most coaches hired that young say the job is coming at them at a 100mph. Belichick said as much in his book. Given that Mangini also gets the added pressure of winning in NY coming off a team's most successful period, he is not exactly set-up for success.

He appears to be bright and will rpoibably do better on his next job.

Wow, the Pats fans really want Mangini as their HC when BB retires.;) We get it, you like our coach, now hands off!:box:

My wife says I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat. This must

have been a long sleep because I must have missed all of mini camp

training camp and the start of the season. Just because the Sporting

News printed an article that makes your agenda look good means that

Mangini will fail?????

A freaken game hasn't been played yet!

The way he is handling things is the way they did it up in NE. If

you don't like that program that's one thing, but to base your argument

on some newspaper article?????

And to top it off, guys wanted Herm fired his first year so its hard

to compare him and Mangini.

Mangini is getting handed a plate full of steaming dookey with a salary cap problem.

Our talent level isn't good on offense but on defense we have more talent than most teams in the NFL. And we simply do not have a salary cap problem. I don't know where you came up with that.

When Mangini took the HC job, the Jets were $20M over the cap.

Come on, you know that number was nothing but hypothetical. Everyone knew that Ty Law's deal was a one and done. Everyone knew that John Abraham was going to the highest bidder. Jay Fiedler, Barry Gardner, and Lance Legree were cut because they didn't fit in to the scheme, were injured, or just flat-out sucked. Jerald Sowell wasn't cut to save money (he wasn't making much), he was cut because he wanted more money and would likely have been a hold-out. I don't see the sense in resigning 30 year old full backs, do you?

If we wanted to sign John Abraham, we could have. We had the money. However, with the odds of the Jets going to a 3-4 increasing, JABE doesn't fit in too well. He was pissed and wanted out.

We've been relatively active in the FA market, signing players who fit the system of the new regime. There is a difference b/w cutting players who don't fit in due to age or ability than cutting them because they had to go to save the cap. Was Ty Law a "salary cap causalty"? Yes, he was. However, when we signed him last year, we knew that he would only be here for one year. We designed in that way, so that $20 million over the cap nonsense was nothing more than hypothetical.

My wife says I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat. This must

have been a long sleep because I must have missed all of mini camp

training camp and the start of the season. Just because the Sporting

News printed an article that makes your agenda look good means that

Mangini will fail?????

A freaken game hasn't been played yet!

The way he is handling things is the way they did it up in NE. If

you don't like that program that's one thing, but to base your argument

on some newspaper article?????

And to top it off, guys wanted Herm fired his first year so its hard

to compare him and Mangini.

Feel the same way. HAve they played any games, or even run the draft yet?

And by the way, Rjen-wnat about the bet?

Come on, you know that number was nothing but hypothetical. Everyone knew that Ty Law's deal was a one and done. Everyone knew that John Abraham was going to the highest bidder. Jay Fiedler, Barry Gardner, and Lance Legree were cut because they didn't fit in to the scheme, were injured, or just flat-out sucked. Jerald Sowell wasn't cut to save money (he wasn't making much), he was cut because he wanted more money and would likely have been a hold-out. I don't see the sense in resigning 30 year old full backs, do you?

If we wanted to sign John Abraham, we could have. We had the money. However, with the odds of the Jets going to a 3-4 increasing, JABE doesn't fit in too well. He was pissed and wanted out.

We've been relatively active in the FA market, signing players who fit the system of the new regime. There is a difference b/w cutting players who don't fit in due to age or ability than cutting them because they had to go to save the cap. Was Ty Law a "salary cap causalty"? Yes, he was. However, when we signed him last year, we knew that he would only be here for one year. We designed in that way, so that $20 million over the cap nonsense was nothing more than hypothetical.

And these players who were released/restructured were all totally way past their primes like when Herm got them?

Mawae

Martin

Fabini

Law

J.Abraham

Chad

Others counted much less on Herm's cap before the cap-fairy came calling in March 2006:

Chad

Mawae

Law

Abraham

Ellis

Coles

DRob

McCariens

Kendall

Barrett

It was not all "fake" numbers. Unless they restructured/released a lot of players, their leverage with Abraham would've gone out the window.

And do you honestly believe that the starting offense Mangini inherited is on par with the one Herm inherited:

Chad (after 2nd shoulder surgery)/Bollinger

Martin (32yo coming off knee injury)/Blaylock (coming off broken foot)

Askew (never started before)

Coles/McCariens/Cotchery

Jolley/Driessen

Jones/Kendall/Morley/Katnik/Moore/Cavka/other nobodies

Now go look up our starting offense in 2001. A good veteran team makes a first-time coach's job a LOT easier than rebuilding AND first-time HC'ing at the same time.

And these players who were released/restructured were all totally way past their primes like when Herm got them?

Mawae

Martin

Fabini

Law

J.Abraham

Chad

Others counted much less on Herm's cap before the cap-fairy came calling in March 2006:

Chad

Mawae

Law

Abraham

Ellis

Coles

DRob

McCariens

Kendall

Barrett

It was not all "fake" numbers. Unless they restructured/released a lot of players, their leverage with Abraham would've gone out the window.

And do you honestly believe that the starting offense Mangini inherited is on par with the one Herm inherited:

Chad (after 2nd shoulder surgery)/Bollinger

Martin (32yo coming off knee injury)/Blaylock (coming off broken foot)

Askew (never started before)

Coles/McCariens/Cotchery

Jolley/Driessen

Jones/Kendall/Morley/Katnik/Moore/Cavka/other nobodies

Now go look up our starting offense in 2001. A good veteran team makes a first-time coach's job a LOT easier than rebuilding AND first-time HC'ing at the same time.

I was never arguing that the talent Mangini inherited was on par with the talent that Spermy inherited; obviously Herm had more to work with, I don't dispute that.

However, the idea that we were in salary cap hell was a misconception that was blown up by the media and Jets fans. We were never in salary cap hell. Were we over the cap? Yes, we were; but that doesn't mean we had to make "tough" decisions on who to cut and who not to cut.

Mawae: Old and past his prime. He wasn't a salary cap causalty, he was cut b/c Mangini didn't want to deal with him. We saved pennies cutting him.

Law: Old, overrated, overpaid, and carried a ridiculous cap number for 2007 and beyond. We knew the day we signed him that he was a one and done.

Abraham: With the switch to the 3/4 imminent, his stay in NY was up. He wanted out, regardless of the money we offered him.

We didn't face any really tough decisions on who to cut. They were all no-brainers who didn't fit into the Tannenbaum/Mangini vision of the NYJ.

The restructering of the contracts did help us gain leverage for trading Abe. However, it also made us players in the FA market. We didn't need to restructure all of those contracts to get under the cap - we needed to restructure them to gain quality players via FA to remain competetive. If the cap was such a big "problem," how could we possibly get under it w/out losing a player who was going to be a major part of our future? Mawae, Law, Sowell, and Fabini were either done, or soon-to-be done.

Wow, the Pats fans really want Mangini as their HC when BB retires.;) We get it, you like our coach, now hands off!:box:

I always thought he was the heir apparent for Belichick. He cuts his teeth and learns for 3-5 years and then Belichick retires and Mangini steps up to be HC.

I always thought he was the heir apparent for Belichick. He cuts his teeth and learns for 3-5 years and then Belichick retires and Mangini steps up to be HC.

That's what I'm worried about!

Seriously, I have a conspiracy theory about this. When Mangini talked to BB about becoming HC of the Jets BB was like "yeah, go on young man, get some solid experience managing an entire team and then, when you've actually learned how to do that, give me a buzz and I'll submit the necessary paperwork and Krafty here will sign you up! Just don't win too much because we need to keep your price tag down.";)

Archived