New York Mets 2024 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

10 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

This team is showing some fight. Gutsy comeback tonight, just came up short.

Yeah, they have shown a little bit of gumption. They will be mildly more interesting once the kids that coming up and injecting a little more life. The bottom third of their roster is Oakland A's worthy. 

I know there is a plan, but it is a bit of a painful process. 

The best take-away thus far this season is it looks like Baty is starting to get comfortable. 

• Upvote 1

Watching Syracuse Mets game tonight on SNY after Mets actually crushed Atlanta earlier. So early on there was a "just a little outside" moment when Worcester pitcher threw one way over the head of Syracuse batter. Syracuse announcers downplayed it later I guess realizing just how silly their original call of the play was acknowledged it. 

I think all eyes are on Mendoza. When a team starts the season in a slump and they're 0-5 for a first time manager you want to see how he handles things esp with the players. One thing that stuck out to me was the positive and unsolicited support he got from Alonso after his first win. Pete seemed to honestly like and respect him and all the stories we hear are on the plus side on him. 

• Upvote 1

Total greenhorn to following MLB outside of superficial playoff fandom... Decided (foolishly) to give it a go - been fun having the Mets on this year (less so with the White Sox).... Different kind of experience having a game on the TV, less intense more nuanced.  

Ironically Mets actually predated the Jets, Was collecting sports cards back in 90/91 and just kinda fell into the Mets, sporadically keeping up as kids do.   

16 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I think all eyes are on Mendoza. When a team starts the season in a slump and they're 0-5 for a first time manager you want to see how he handles things esp with the players. One thing that stuck out to me was the positive and unsolicited support he got from Alonso after his first win. Pete seemed to honestly like and respect him and all the stories we hear are on the plus side on him. 

I guess he's passed his first test so far.  For the most part though, I don't think MLB managers are even allowed to do all that much.  They're pretty much middle managers at this point, slaves to the analytics team.  But I guess they can keep up a team's morale and stuff like that.  I think Aaron Boone calls it "Care Factor".

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I really don't like to see these types of injuries, even on an enemy like the Braves.  But it's definitely a huge loss.

Totally agree. You can root against these guys but NEVER to get hurt. By the way, Zach Wheeler is 0-3.😎

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

i hate to say this cause i hate the Yankees but they tend to produce good managers (Buck, Willie..) yeah i know Willie choked twice but that was a sound team. 

The bottom line with most managers in all sports is a time line on communication. After a time period their message with that group of players goes stale. And that usually means the manager goes. There are exceptions but even those guys like BB, Tomlin etc have communication probs. 

7 hours ago, doitny said:

i hate to say this cause i hate the Yankees but they tend to produce good managers (Buck, Willie..) yeah i know Willie choked twice but that was a sound team. 

So far, I like Mendoza (and I liked Buck a lot) but I couldn't stand Willie (who always talked himself up plus ran back to the Yankees once the Mets fired him.  Yet neither they nor anyone else gave him another managing job).  Girardi was good with the Yanks but awful with the Phillies.  Torre was probably horribly overrated and a bit of a fraud regarding his "nice guy" image.

Of that group, give me Buck all day.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So far, I like Mendoza (and I liked Buck a lot) but I couldn't stand Willie (who always talked himself up plus ran back to the Yankees once the Mets fired him.  Yet neither they nor anyone else gave him another managing job).  Girardi was good with the Yanks but awful with the Phillies.  Torre was probably horribly overrated and a bit of a fraud regarding his "nice guy" image.

Of that group, give me Buck all day.  

i love Buck. i was really mad they let him go.

• Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I know I am going to jinx it here, but have to really love what the Mets bullpen has done.

Yes. Love the confidence Mendoza shows in the young guys. Biggest issue so far that has to be fixed..starters have to throw more strikes. It’s a disgrace and is gonna kill this team going forward.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, section314 said:

Yes. Love the confidence Mendoza shows in the young guys. Biggest issue so far that has to be fixed..starters have to throw more strikes. It’s a disgrace and is gonna kill this team going forward.

Yup. They have to get deeper in games, or they will wear this bullpen out. Reed Garrett has been a revelation.

Excited to see Scott come up, hopefully in the next several weeks. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yup. They have to get deeper in games, or they will wear this bullpen out. Reed Garrett has been a revelation.

Excited to see Scott come up, hopefully in the next several weeks. 

Looks like the real deal.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

One thing that Stearns is known for is his "pitching lab", and it has already seemed to have some results. I am worried about Senga, though.

Me too. I posted in this thread last week that it’s giving me bad vibes. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I know I am going to jinx it here, but have to really love what the Mets bullpen has done.

What scares me though is the amount of work they are getting.  Mets starters throw a lot of pitches and don't go very deep.  84 innings out of starters through 17 games is not enough. 

Does not help that Met starters average 17.9 pitches per inning, second most in MLB to the Marlins.  They need to get more efficient.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

What scares me though is the amount of work they are getting.  Mets starters throw a lot of pitches and don't go very deep.  84 innings out of starters through 17 games is not enough. 

Does not help that Met starters average 17.9 pitches per inning, second most in MLB to the Marlins.  They need to get more efficient.

Last night, Quintana was 3-2 on 7 of the first 9 batters. 60 pitches thru 3 innings. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Last night, Quintana was 3-2 on 7 of the first 9 batters. 60 pitches thru 3 innings. 

Its unsustainable. 

At least Severino got through 6 innings today.  And then with the offense exploding late we were able to get another rest day for the top guys.  Really nice to finish off the sweep before heading out west. I hate these west coast trips.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Its unsustainable. 

At least Severino got through 6 innings today.  And then with the offense exploding late we were able to get another rest day for the top guys.  Really nice to finish off the sweep before heading out west. I hate these west coast trips.

Great recovery for the Mets after an 0-5 start!  They've won 10 of their last 13 and are now 10-8.

• Upvote 1

Unexpected win tonight. Thought it would be the typical, we finally are on a winning streak and let the pitcher we almost got in the offseason, embarrass our hitters. Instead we came up with clutch hit after clutch hit and even though Joey Wendle (why is he on this team?) tried to single handedly give the Dodgers the game, Lindor finally had a big hit and our bullpen continues to impress.  

At 0-5, never expected them to be where they are now at 11-8. Don’t underestimate Eric Chavez back as hitting coach. Though we need to pray for Alvarez to not be out for too long. Not sure Narvaez is going to cut it. Not that our catchers throw anyone out stealing. I think we have some kind of pathetic record for that now. 

Either way, big win. Taking 2 of 3 in this series vs the Dodgers, would be tremendous. 

• Upvote 2