New York Mets 2024 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

8 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I like Alonso.  BUt Iwouldnt sign him long term. He's already 30? Yes he has elite power BUT strikes out way to much and isnt a very clutch hitter.  I've been a Mets fan going back to early 60's so I've been arond the block.  Alonso often hits a lot of meaningless HR's.  And his defense is really a liability.  He's just not worth 30 millioon a year or whatever outrageous number his PR team is asking.  The Mets are drastically changing their approach and adopting a speed, defense style of baseball. Alonso does not fit into this scheme.  Plus, the Mets dsperately need to re-invigorate their farm sytem.  That has begun with the trades of Scherzer and Verlander last year.  So 2024 is a pass. big deal. We havent won a WS since 1986.  Thats 38 years ago.  Time flies.  Settig this team up for the near future and planting it with youth and talent is a smart approach.  they can trade Alonso and get a nice haul.  They desperately need young arms. Desperately.  First base is a positon which is probably the least 'important' in baseball.  The writing is on the wall. Alonso will be traded soon and its the smart move to make.

I ultimately think this is what is going to happen.

• Upvote 1

On 2/20/2024 at 11:16 AM, Maynard13 said:

First base is a positon which is probably the least 'important' in baseball.  The writing is on the wall. Alonso will be traded soon and its the smart move to make.

Agreed on positional value and while his HR & RBI #s will need to be replaced, to a certain level, having someone that can keep the lineup moving down the line is important as well. Too many times Pete would take the K or fly out to the WT. Between HRs, you need a player who can just get the clutch single to move the runners along. 
Pete took a step back this past season and while he will continue to post above average HR & RBI #s, his bat speed and fielding will deteriorate in the next 2-3 years and will be a DH the rest of his career. Is that worth a 7-10 year deal at $200+ mil? Make the trade for 1-2 young studs and use the $ elsewhere.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Agreed on positional value and while his HR & RBI #s will need to be replaced, to a certain level, having someone that can keep the lineup moving down the line is important as well. Too many times Pete would take the K or fly out to the WT. Between HRs, you need a player who can just get the clutch single to move the runners along. 
Pete took a step back this past season and while he will continue to post above average HR & RBI #s, his bat speed and fielding will deteriorate in the next 2-3 years and will be a DH the rest of his career. Is that works 7-10 year deal at $200+ mil? Make the trade for 1-2 young studs and use the $ elsewhere.

He'll be traded by the summer.  Its pretty obvious Stearns wants nothing to do with signing him long term or else it would have already transpired.  I'd grab two young pitching prospects and call it a day. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

He'll be traded by the summer.  Its pretty obvious Stearns wants nothing to do with signing him long term or else it would have already transpired.  I'd grab two young pitching prospects and call it a day. 

If this Senga thing is anything serious, I could see it happening before the season starts for a veteran ace type guy, maybe the White Sox guy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Senga already to IL. Ladies and gentlemen the Mets are back and right on schedule!

This year is going to be a disaster. Stearns said 'he'll make a bunch of starts this year' but doesnt know when Senga will be back'. LOLOLOL.  Might as well clean house by the trade deadline and take a 3-4 year approach to compete by bring ALL the newbies in and see who's who. Right now, we will finsih next to last just above the Nats.  Maybe 70 wins tops.   

22 hours ago, section314 said:

If this Senga thing is anything serious, I could see it happening before the season starts for a veteran ace type guy, maybe the White Sox guy. 

Not sure why they don’t at least try to make a run at Montgomery.  I understand that they have a couple of kid pitchers they feel are on the verge, but Montgomery could be a mainstay for 5 years or so. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not sure why they don’t at least try to make a run at Montgomery.  I understand that they have a couple of kid pitchers they feel are on the verge, but Montgomery could be a mainstay for 5 years or so. 

Do you really think he’s that good? I have to admit, haven’t seen him much since he left NY.

On 2/28/2024 at 9:32 AM, JustInFudge said:

Anyone catch Daniel Murphy on SNY last night w/ the boys?  He's good.  Gets a little technical and passionate about hitting to where it goes slightly over your head but I like it.  He's a good listen.

I didn't but I was always a fan of his.  Was he just being interviewed or is he an actual SNY announcer now?  Hopefully the latter.  SNY does a terrific job with announcers. 

For those who don't know, FOX's lead NFL announcer, Kevin Burkhardt, used to be a roving reporter for the Mets for several years.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I didn't but I was always a fan of his.  Was he just being interviewed or is he an actual SNY announcer now?  Hopefully the latter.  SNY does a terrific job with announcers. 

Yes, he was calling the game.  Not sure if it's just like a try out or what but he's a great listen.

https://www.mlb.com/news/new-york-mets-top-30-prospects-list-2024-preseason

Meet the future Mets may never be more apt a phrase.

Of the 13 prospects atop MLB Pipeline’s updated Top 30 list for the 2024 season, seven weren’t in the organization at all this time last year.

The biggest additions came from New York’s blockbuster sale at last year’s Trade Deadline. No. 2 prospect Drew Gilbert and No. 4 Ryan Clifford came over as the returns in the deal that sent Justin Verlander to the Astros, while No. 3 Luisangel Acuña was brought over from the Rangers straight-up for Max Scherzer. No. 8 Marco Vargas and No. 12 Jeremy Rodriguez came over in separate deals, and No. 7 Colin Houck and No. 13 Brandon Sproat were the club’s two picks in last year’s Draft.

That isn’t to say there aren’t impressive returnees, either. Top prospect Jett Williams will build on a first full season in which he posted a .425 OBP with 45 stolen bases over 121 games and reached Double-A at just 19. No. 5 Christian Scott, No. 10 Blade Tidwell and No. 11 Mike Vasil should all play meaningful roles in the Major League club’s pitching group soon, given their performance and proximity.

Amid a disappointing season at the Major League level last year, the Mets built on their foundation with a mix of upper-level talent (Gilbert, Acuña) and long-term high-ceiling plays (Clifford, Vargas, Rodriguez), and it’s a more dynamic farm as a result heading into 2024.

Here’s a look at the Mets’ top prospects:
  1. Jett Williams, SS/OF (MLB No. 45)
  2. Drew Gilbert, OF (MLB No. 53)
  3. Luisangel Acuña, SS/2B (MLB No. 66)
  4. Ryan Clifford, OF/1B (MLB No. 97)
  5. Christian Scott, RHP
    Complete Top 30 list »

Biggest jump/fall

Here are the players whose ranks changed the most from the 2023 preseason list to the 2024 preseason list:

Jump: Christian Scott, RHP (2023: NR | 2024: No. 5)
The 2021 fifth-rounder had only 21 1/3 innings above Single-A and was just on the outside looking in of our list last spring. Scott has benefitted from a move toward throwing mid-90s four-seamers instead of two-seamers, and his control took off in 2023 with a 3.6 percent walk rate that ranked fourth among Minor Leaguers with at least 80 innings. The former Florida Gator’s slider and changeup are also at least average pitches. He should factor into New York’s starting depth this summer.

Fall: Joel Díaz, RHP (2023: No. 12 | 2024: NR)
Shortly after last year's list dropped, Díaz underwent Tommy John surgery that knocked him out for the entire 2023 season. The 6-foot-2 right-hander absolutely dominated the Dominican Summer League in 2021 (0.54 ERA in 15 starts) but took a step back at Single-A St. Lucie a year later. Entering his age-20 season, he’s yet to throw more than 55 1/3 innings in a single campaign and will have to show how his three-pitch mix bounces back from the missed time.

Best tools

Players are graded on a 20-80 scouting scale for future tools – 20-30 is well below average, 40 is below average, 50 is average, 60 is above average and 70-80 is well above average. Players in parentheses have the same grade.

Hit: 60 – Marco Vargas
Power: 60 – Ronny Mauricio (Ryan Clifford, Kevin Parada, Nolan McLean)
Run: 70 – Nick Morabito
Arm: 70 – Nolan McLean
Defense: 60 – Rhylan Thomas (Luisangel Acuña)
Fastball: 70 – Raimon Gomez
Curveball: 60 – Calvin Ziegler
Slider: 60 – Blade Tidwell (Raimon Gomez, Mike Vasil)
Changeup: 60 – Brandon Sproat
Control: 65 – Christian Scott

2 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

So really , how much are the Mets going to suck this year ?

It doesn't seem like they have much starting pitching, other than Senga (who is currently hurt).  Unless there are some pleasant surprises, that sounds like a recipe for an awful season.

• More Ugh 1