New York Mets 2024 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

On 1/8/2024 at 4:45 PM, section314 said:

This current staff is all 3-4 types. Senga. is at best a 2.

In today's game, you can win with a bunch of 3/4 starters if you have one ace and a great bullpen.  I am hoping maybe Senga can be that ace, but I don't think the bullpen is close to the level it needs to be at given the weakness of the rotation.

I think its gonna be a tough year, but if they really commit to developing young guys, I can live with that.

• Upvote 2

On 1/12/2024 at 12:27 PM, Lith said:

In today's game, you can win with a bunch of 3/4 starters if you have one ace and a great bullpen.  I am hoping maybe Senga can be that ace, but I don't think the bullpen is close to the level it needs to be at given the weakness of the rotation.

I think its gonna be a tough year, but if they really commit to developing young guys, I can live with that.

I think next year is supposed to be a great year for free agency.  The Mets will probably be very active then.  But it's kind of lame that they don't seem to be adding too much talent this year.   

23 hours ago, section314 said:

good article by Joel Sherman on Alonso and his Mets future.

Tough call on Pete. I would love to keep him but Boros is a greedy MF.

5 yr. deal might not be enough for him and I dont think I'd want to go beyond that. Boros probably looking for a 10 yr. deal to get Pete to 39 yo.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Tough call on Pete. I would love to keep him but Boros is a greedy MF.

5 yr. deal might not be enough for him and I dont think I'd want to go beyond that. Boros probably looking for a 10 yr. deal to get Pete to 39 yo.

Agree. Nothing is ever easy with Boras. 5years would be great .We’ll see.

4 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Billy Wagner got screwed .

Yes. He was dominant for a long time, which used to be the main criteria for getting in. Before the anal hole ilitics crowd took over. Hall of Fame now has been terribly tarnished, almost to the point of not having to be elite anymore. Two guys got in this year who had 2,200 hits. It’s turning into the hall of good not great.

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2024 at 10:31 AM, section314 said:

Pete Crow Armstrong is tied with two other guys as the 4th best odds to win NL Rookie of the year at+900🤣

Remember when the idiots were all crowing about how the Mets acquired "El Mago"?  What a disaster!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Mets bullpen appears to be decent, with of course Diaz being the big addition. But, we know how bullpens go.

Really would like to add a veteran bat for DH. Then pray the starting pitching holds up with some luck. 

Defense should be much better. 

Seems like Stearns doesn’t  want to take AB’s from Vientos and Baty. Hopefully they both get 450+ this year. Wonder also is Marte may figure in DH picture if not ready to play full time?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Seems like Stearns doesn’t  want to take AB’s from Vientos and Baty. Hopefully they both get 450+ this year. Wonder also is Marte may figure in DH picture if not ready to play full time?

Both will get until June to show that they’ve earned his trust… if not, trade deadline acquisition 

• Upvote 1

I keep hearing complaints about the Mets not spending more and signing free agents. Like they have unlimited budget. Actually they are about 100 million over the cap and right now total player budget over 300 million. Which is at the top of MLB. So Cohen is rich but he's not crazy. 

On 2/5/2024 at 1:44 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Bobby Witt just signed for 11/288. The Lindor contract is honestly looking like one of the best value contracts in baseball at this point. 

I don't even understand baseball salaries anymore.  Plus isn't it odd that even the KC Royals are suddenly shelling out for a contract like this?  What is going on with baseball?  Are ticket prices going to quadruple?  Who is going to pay for that?  Baseball already has an attendance problem, no?

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't even understand baseball salaries anymore.  Plus isn't it odd that even the KC Royals are suddenly shelling out for a contract like this?  What is going on with baseball?  Are ticket prices going to quadruple?  Who is going to pay for that?  Baseball already has an attendance problem, no?

No. Revenue has gone way up for them. Contracts have gotten longer because it lowers AAV. Guys like Witt get deals like that now because he’ll likely be worth double that in 5 years. He’s an absolute stud.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

No. Revenue has gone way up for them. Contracts have gotten longer because it lowers AAV. Guys like Witt get deals like that now because he’ll likely be worth double that in 5 years. He’s an absolute stud.

What was the driver of revenue going up though?  I thought baseball has been changing its rules to speed up the game (and make the postseason more like other sports) to cater to younger fans (who I thought MLB kind of hasn't been getting).  All of a sudden though, MLB salaries have made a huge leap.

33 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Great point. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, Lindor now looks underpaid.😁These long term mega deals are mostly for mid 20,s guys as to be expected. That is something that is going to be a rude awakening for the soon to be 30 Alonzo.

43 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What was the driver of revenue going up though?  I thought baseball has been changing its rules to speed up the game (and make the postseason more like other sports) to cater to younger fans (who I thought MLB kind of hasn't been getting).  All of a sudden though, MLB salaries have made a huge leap.

A main reason for the rule changes was to increase attendance, which happened as they set a record for ticket revenue last year and they had the largest annual jump in attendance since expansion. The rest of it is sponsorship revenue from stuff like digital dugout ads, jersey ads...etc. MLB salaries making a huge leap makes a ton of sense given revenues exploded and there is no reason to think that won't continue, at least in the short term. The game is booming. They should have instituted the pitch clock decades ago.

There are some movements to get this current younger generation to games (i.e. Cohen and his college student ticket idea), but IMO I think the new generation of young children will really be into the game simply because they are going to grow up going to games more than Gen Z'ers did.

47 minutes ago, section314 said:

Great point. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, Lindor now looks underpaid.😁These long term mega deals are mostly for mid 20,s guys as to be expected. That is something that is going to be a rude awakening for the soon to be 30 Alonzo.

The Braves were real trail blazers with it and it seems like the new norm. I wonder if the Mets do the same if guys like Acuna and Gilbert shine after getting called up. Alvarez maybe too. The whole stretching guys through arbitration thing that the Mets have done is on the outs.

For a guy like Witt it's such a gamble because in a linear sense he's really leaving like $150-200 million on the table long-term. But, you really have to take the deal if you are in his shoes. Guys wash out (unlikely with him) or get hurt...etc.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Braves were real trail blazers with it and it seems like the new norm. I wonder if the Mets do the same if guys like Acuna and Gilbert shine after getting called up. Alvarez maybe too. The whole stretching guys through arbitration thing that the Mets have done is on the outs.

For a guy like Witt it's such a gamble because in a linear sense he's really leaving like $150-200 million on the table long-term. But, you really have to take the deal if you are in his shoes. Guys wash out (unlikely with him) or get hurt...etc.

The Indians did it too in the mid 90’s with Baerga Lofton, Bell, Thome. Kept them together for 4-5 years and had a great run.

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

The Indians did it too in the mid 90’s with Baerga Lofton, Bell, Thome. Kept them together for 4-5 years and had a great run.

I don't think Belle would have even lasted a year in today's game, lol. Oh to be a player before everyone had a camera.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Braves are the one of the best run organizations in MLB (if not #1) and are the model all teams should try to copy.  

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Braves are the one of the best run organizations in MLB (if not #1) and are the model all teams should try to copy.  

I think there are multiple ways to build a championship franchise that’s sustainable and the Braves are the best at executing that one way. The one thing that universally works no matter what method you’re using is a top farm system. Get that down and the team can do anything they want. Ex. Baltimore is going to lose a lot of their guys going forward and they will likely survive most of it.

• Upvote 1

I like Alonso.  BUt Iwouldnt sign him long term. He's already 30? Yes he has elite power BUT strikes out way to much and isnt a very clutch hitter.  I've been a Mets fan going back to early 60's so I've been arond the block.  Alonso often hits a lot of meaningless HR's.  And his defense is really a liability.  He's just not worth 30 millioon a year or whatever outrageous number his PR team is asking.  The Mets are drastically changing their approach and adopting a speed, defense style of baseball. Alonso does not fit into this scheme.  Plus, the Mets dsperately need to re-invigorate their farm sytem.  That has begun with the trades of Scherzer and Verlander last year.  So 2024 is a pass. big deal. We havent won a WS since 1986.  Thats 38 years ago.  Time flies.  Settig this team up for the near future and planting it with youth and talent is a smart approach.  they can trade Alonso and get a nice haul.  They desperately need young arms. Desperately.  First base is a positon which is probably the least 'important' in baseball.  The writing is on the wall. Alonso will be traded soon and its the smart move to make.

• Upvote 1