New York Mets 2024 Thread (LFGM)

Scott Dierking

Here’s a question for all my fellow Mets fans and, really, for just baseball fans in general that want to escape the 24 hr torture of Jets FA here on the board.😩  Here goes…. what was the worse trade Nolan Ryan to Angels or Tom Seaver to the Reds? I think it’s a fascinating question to really do a deep dive into, and I think it will lead to some good discussion and thought. I went back and forth on it and it was tough, but I feel good in my decision but it was tough. Interesting to hear what you guys think. I will post my answer after we get a few of yours. Hope this helps to get us out of the FA funk.😎

18 minutes ago, section314 said:

Here’s a question for all my fellow Mets fans and, really, for just baseball fans in general that want to escape the 24 hr torture of Jets FA here on the board.😩  Here goes…. what was the worse trade Nolan Ryan to Angels or Tom Seaver to the Reds? I think it’s a fascinating question to really do a deep dive into, and I think it will lead to some good discussion and thought. I went back and forth on it and it was tough, but I feel good in my decision but it was tough. Interesting to hear what you guys think. I will post my answer after we get a few of yours. Hope this helps to get us out of the FA funk.😎

Both were bad, with disappointing returns! I’ll go with Seaver, just because of what he meant to the fan base.

Ryan took a few years after the trade to find his groove 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, section314 said:

There is a reason it was called the "Midnight Massacre".  lol 

• Upvote 1

For me, the worse of the 2 trades was the Seaver trade. The Ryan trade was made in an attempt to make the ball club better. The Mets through their entire history to that point had been unable to develop a 3rd baseman. They thought Fregosi could plug that gap and extend what looked like a contending club for the near term future.

The Seaver trade was made by an ignorant and belligerent Chairman of the Board, M. Donald Grant, that had no business meddling in personnel decisions. It was done to be cheap and it escalated to a feud that should not have happened like that. Then to involve Dick Young to help promote that Seaver was the one being petty was pure villainous. And, they got pennies on the dollar. 

Pure stupidity. 

• Upvote 2

Three good responses so far. Will wait on a couple more from the usual suspects and then I will give my thoughts, as I know you are all on pins and needles for.🤣 @Lith  I know you are busy with sign up day but I know we told like your thoughts when you have time.

Signing Martinez is a big deal. He had 33 HRs last year. Vientos has 5 HRs in spring training and hit with power at the end of last season. The bench will be a lot better this year. But the key will still be Diaz. If he comes back to what he was 2 years ago the Mets can win a lot of games. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Signing Martinez is a big deal. He had 33 HRs last year. Vientos has 5 HRs in spring training and hit with power at the end of last season. The bench will be a lot better this year. But the key will still be Diaz. If he comes back to what he was 2 years ago the Mets can win a lot of games. 

The young pitchers have really wowed this spring. That is a huge sign for the future. And its not just one or two. Several young arms have impressed.

• Upvote 1

On 3/13/2024 at 11:57 AM, 32EBoozer said:

Both were bad, with disappointing returns! I’ll go with Seaver, just because of what he meant to the fan base.

Ryan took a few years after the trade to find his groove 

Ryan was not human. He was a robot. I saw him in 1970 pitch against the Phillies. He gave up a single to his first batter. Walk, walk, K K K. he ended up pitching a 1 hitter, walking 6 and striking out 15. It was amazing and was still throwing bullets late in the game and pitched all 9 innings.  He was UNHITTABLE. 

6 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Ryan was not human. He was a robot. I saw him in 1970 pitch against the Phillies. He gave up a single to his first batter. Walk, walk, K K K. he ended up pitching a 1 hitter, walking 6 and striking out 15. It was amazing and was still throwing bullets late in the game and pitched all 9 innings.  He was UNHITTABLE. 

Absolutely…. he was unhittable. There were stretches where he couldn’t find the strike zone however. 

We lost 2 HOF players…. Seaver hurt the most.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That dude on the Brewers waited until he was behind 30 of his teammates to finally bark back.

Sevy should drill him the first time he is up today. Mendoza is old school… protect your teammates.

One hit on Opening Day… nice to see the offense pick up right where they were last year. 🙄

I get more frustrated with the Mets than I do the Jets. I know they’re hoping to cobble together 85 wins and compete for a wild card, but I’d rather they they tear this team apart. I’m just tired of watching guys like Nimmo, McNeil, Marte and yes, Lindor never come through in a big spot.

We’re going to see a bunch of games like yesterday’s where the offense doesn’t show up and than has the occasional outburst where they pad numbers. This core hasn’t won anything since they’ve been here. They’re not going to do it now with a shi**y starting rotation.

Nice to see Baty and Alvarez both go deep and Diaz get back on the hill.

Hoskins manned up today. The Mets had the perfect chance to throw at him in his first AB when first base was open and the Brewers had men on second and third. It made no sense doing it when they did.
We’re 0-2 😢

• Upvote 1

I usually have no prob if the Mets lose on Opening Day because they usually win on Opening Day and the rest of the season sucks. But 0-4 to start the year isn't a good start by any measure and it's hard not to be pessimistic. Look it's only 4 games I know. As for signing Teheran gut feeling is that the guy is a real good pitcher but that was in the past. He pitched about 70 innings with the Brewers last year and was ok his ERA in the 4s. And the Mets GM knows the guy. But he hasn't been a good MLB pitcher for five years and that's a long time. I'm surprised they gave him a MLB deal and are paying him 2.5 plus. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/04/mets-to-sign-julio-teheran.html

On 4/3/2024 at 6:08 PM, Rangers9 said:

I usually have no prob if the Mets lose on Opening Day because they usually win on Opening Day and the rest of the season sucks. But 0-4 to start the year isn't a good start by any measure and it's hard not to be pessimistic. Look it's only 4 games I know. As for signing Teheran gut feeling is that the guy is a real good pitcher but that was in the past. He pitched about 70 innings with the Brewers last year and was ok his ERA in the 4s. And the Mets GM knows the guy. But he hasn't been a good MLB pitcher for five years and that's a long time. I'm surprised they gave him a MLB deal and are paying him 2.5 plus. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/04/mets-to-sign-julio-teheran.html

We need a professional starting pitcher who can eat some innings and at a low salary.  Teheran fits the bill. 

Teheran was a Mets killer but that's in the past. But surprised they cut him so fast. He had two good innings before getting hit hard. Maybe it was something off the field. Of course the deal he signed gave him 2.5 million if he pitches in MLB but only 150 if he's in the minors.