My long history of being a Jets fan

Alka

I was born in 1963 so I am just young enough to not remember the SB, but old enough to remember the 70's drought and having to listen to them on radio because of the TV blackout. This team is taxing on all of us over the years. I believe that the current, long-term ineptitude of the front office and coaching staff is worse than the excruciating late season / playoff losses: Buffalo in '81, Miami '82, Cleveland '86, Detroit '97, Denver '98, Pittsburgh '04, Indianapolis '09, Pittsburgh '10, Buffalo '15, etc.

While I still invest time watching the team on the Sunday Ticket, I really don't have too much emotional investment based on wins and losses like i was when i was younger. My motto which I have adopted over the years is, "It doesn't really matter in the long run. You still have to go to work on Monday".

Unfortunately our adult children have become Jet fans instead of 49er fans (who my wife roots for).  Also my 4 year old grandon already has Jets garb. Poor kid. I really hope the Jets get better for their sake.  Earlier this year my 31 year old son said that he felt bad for my son-in-law (who roots for the Broncos) after they lost to Miami 70-20. I told my son, "You're a Jet fan, you don't have to feel sorry for anybody else."

27 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

I was born in 1963 so I am just young enough to not remember the SB, but old enough to remember the 70's drought and having to listen to them on radio because of the TV blackout. This team is taxing on all of us over the years. I believe that the current, long-term ineptitude of the front office and coaching staff is worse than the excruciating late season / playoff losses: Buffalo in '81, Miami '82, Cleveland '86, Detroit '97, Denver '98, Pittsburgh '04, Indianapolis '09, Pittsburgh '10, Buffalo '15, etc.

While I still invest time watching the team on the Sunday Ticket, I really don't have too much emotional investment based on wins and losses like i was when i was younger. My motto which I have adopted over the years is, "It doesn't really matter in the long run. You still have to go to work on Monday".

Unfortunately our adult children have become Jet fans instead of 49er fans (who my wife roots for).  Also my 4 year old grandon already has Jets garb. Poor kid. I really hope the Jets get better for their sake.  Earlier this year my 31 year old son said that he felt bad for my son-in-law (who roots for the Broncos) after they lost to Miami 70-20. I told my son, "You're a Jet fan, you don't have to feel sorry for anybody else."

You’re my brother…….  Same here ole friend. 

So to bump this thread a sit hits so hard for most of us born before 1970. 

We thought the 70's drought was bad, the 90's Kotite era was bad but Woody's ineptness has taken us to new lows.

I used to joke  "I just want 1 more SB before I die..  everyone laughed. Now , no one is laughing.

@Alka @Ron Rico @Biggs @Sonny Werblin @JohnnyD

I'm sure there a a ton of others.

• Upvote 2

I told my son years ago that if the Jets get to the Super Bowl we will go no matter what.  I'm coming to the realization that by the time they get there he may have to take me in an urn.  Of course the urn would probably get confiscated at the gate as a final eff you from the Jets.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Alka, your name must be short for Alka Seltzer, because you and the rest of us have all consumed mass quantities of it due to our allegiance. I turned 74 in November. My whole family rejoiced in the SB III season, Highlight was  being there with my dad for the AFLC game against the Raiders when Joe Willy threw what Jimmy Breslin called "the greatest pass ever thrown". We had two season tickets for Mr. Namath's first ten years and it was never dull, though sometimes disappointing. I've been stoic since then, at least through last season. But seeing Douglas change his whole GM philosophy this year because of express or implied pressure from Woody and AR has been painful. I thought we finally had a GM who made some gaffes but got the big picture, which is the slow and steady model of GB, Pitt,, Philly and the Ravens. I hope he tells Rodgers and Woody to pound sand and return to slow and steady this off season. But I'm not holding my breath

On 12/30/2023 at 2:08 PM, Alka said:

I was born in 1959, in Brooklyn, NY.   We moved to NJ in 1961, and through my dad's company, we had season Jets tickets every single year.  Sitting on the 40 yard line, 12 rows up from the field, I went to games starting when I was around 7 or 8 years old. I loved the Jets, and watched every single play of every single game.  I remember how upset I was when the Jets were up by 10 points watching the Heidi game against the Raiders, and the TV switched to Heidi, running up some ******* mountain.  I was so angry, and the Jets lost.  I should have realized right then and there, that this team was forever cursed.

I attended the AFC Championship game against the Raiders in 1969, watching a seriously hard struggle of a victory over the Raiders to get to the Superbowl.  Joe Namath was the man, and I loved how he stood tough in the pocket, leading the Jets to the Superbowl.  I watched in complete joy the Jets beating the Colts, and felt at that time, that I chose the right team to root for.  I was forever a Jets fan, no matter what.

Through the years and decades, I watched the team struggle year after year, and got hope from time to time with Joe Klecko and the NY Sack Exchange, and getting to the AFC Championship game, only to lose in a monsoon to the hated Dolphins.  I watched the best player on the Jets some years earlier, John Riggins leaving the Jets and going to the Redskins, watching him lead that team to the Superbowl.

We got to the AFC Championship 3 more times, with high hopes and dishearening losses.

After that, it has been mostly all downhill.  High hopes have constantly been dashed by injuries, bad draft choices, horrible free agency pickups, horrible coaching, and a horrible ownership.

Now, after around 55 years a avid Jets fan, I feel emptiness, year after year, with constant losing, and many times not even having the ability to compete in games. 

But, the one thing that I appreciate, is the ability to be on this website, and commiserate with people who love the Jets as much as I do.  It is great therapy for me, and I believe that most Jets fans are intelligent and successful people, which make me feel that I am in the right place. 

I honestly believe that I will never see the Jets again go to the Superbowl, and I am trying to make peace with that.  I will continue to root for our Jets, but my yearly positive feelings are now being replaced by a realism, and that is that as long as Woody is the owner, the Jets will forever never be good enough to get to the promised land.  If you've read this entire thread, I thank you for hearing me out.

I told this story before, but my mom was born in Boston in 1917 and so was alive when the dead Sox won their last championship back then.  She also lived long enough to watch the one they won 86 years later.  So there is some hope that the jets will win another, hopefully within the next decade.

• Upvote 2

On 12/30/2023 at 1:08 PM, Alka said:

I was born in 1959, in Brooklyn, NY.   We moved to NJ in 1961, and through my dad's company, we had season Jets tickets every single year.  Sitting on the 40 yard line, 12 rows up from the field, I went to games starting when I was around 7 or 8 years old. I loved the Jets, and watched every single play of every single game.  I remember how upset I was when the Jets were up by 10 points watching the Heidi game against the Raiders, and the TV switched to Heidi, running up some ******* mountain.  I was so angry, and the Jets lost.  I should have realized right then and there, that this team was forever cursed.

I attended the AFC Championship game against the Raiders in 1969, watching a seriously hard struggle of a victory over the Raiders to get to the Superbowl.  Joe Namath was the man, and I loved how he stood tough in the pocket, leading the Jets to the Superbowl.  I watched in complete joy the Jets beating the Colts, and felt at that time, that I chose the right team to root for.  I was forever a Jets fan, no matter what.

Through the years and decades, I watched the team struggle year after year, and got hope from time to time with Joe Klecko and the NY Sack Exchange, and getting to the AFC Championship game, only to lose in a monsoon to the hated Dolphins.  I watched the best player on the Jets some years earlier, John Riggins leaving the Jets and going to the Redskins, watching him lead that team to the Superbowl.

We got to the AFC Championship 3 more times, with high hopes and dishearening losses.

After that, it has been mostly all downhill.  High hopes have constantly been dashed by injuries, bad draft choices, horrible free agency pickups, horrible coaching, and a horrible ownership.

Now, after around 55 years a avid Jets fan, I feel emptiness, year after year, with constant losing, and many times not even having the ability to compete in games. 

But, the one thing that I appreciate, is the ability to be on this website, and commiserate with people who love the Jets as much as I do.  It is great therapy for me, and I believe that most Jets fans are intelligent and successful people, which make me feel that I am in the right place. 

I honestly believe that I will never see the Jets again go to the Superbowl, and I am trying to make peace with that.  I will continue to root for our Jets, but my yearly positive feelings are now being replaced by a realism, and that is that as long as Woody is the owner, the Jets will forever never be good enough to get to the promised land.  If you've read this entire thread, I thank you for hearing me out.

Alka, thanks for this. We are the same age and have the same perspective. I’m gonna try to hang in here, but brother, this ain’t easy.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alworth said:

Alka, your name must be short for Alka Seltzer, because you and the rest of us have all consumed mass quantities of it due to our allegiance. I turned 74 in November. My whole family rejoiced in the SB III season, Highlight was  being there with my dad for the AFLC game against the Raiders when Joe Willy threw what Jimmy Breslin called "the greatest pass ever thrown". We had two season tickets for Mr. Namath's first ten years and it was never dull, though sometimes disappointing. I've been stoic since then, at least through last season. But seeing Douglas change his whole GM philosophy this year because of express or implied pressure from Woody and AR has been painful. I thought we finally had a GM who made some gaffes but got the big picture, which is the slow and steady model of GB, Pitt,, Philly and the Ravens. I hope he tells Rodgers and Woody to pound sand and return to slow and steady this off season. But I'm not holding my breath

I love your post!  And you got my last name right!  My friends in high school called me "Alka".  The thing that you got over me, is that I enjoyed the Jets winning the Superbowl only from a 9 1/2 year old child's perspective, and you were 19 1/2 years old at the time, so you enjoyed it from a different perspective.  I don't think I appreciated it as much as you did.  I just firgured that the Jets would be in the Superbowl ever few years or so.  I didn't appreciate how hard it was to get to a Superbowl at the time.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Biggs said:

@Alka It’s a great ride.  The Jets, the Mets, the Knicks, NY in the 60s, the Worlds fair.  We are the luckiest Jets fans on the board.  The ride continues…

I don't want to make you jealous, but we had season tickets for the Jets, Mets, and Knicks at that time.  I saw Tom Seaver pitch in the World Series in 1969, and we had box seats in the 2nd row off the field behind 1st base.  We had season tickets for the Knicks, sitting at courtside right behind the basket, off to one side.  We also had season Nets tickets when the ABA existed, and I was at game 7 of the Championship series at midcourt, courtside, watching Julius Irving play amazing basketball.  Paultz, who was the center, ran into me on one play, trying to get the ball before it went out of bounds.  

Yes, I was very lucky kid back then.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I don't want to make you jealous, but we had season tickets for the Jets, Mets, and Knicks at that time.  I saw Tom Seaver pitch in the World Series in 1969, and we had box seats in the 2nd row off the field behind 1st base.  We had season tickets for the Knicks, sitting at courtside right behind the basket, off to one side.  We also had season Nets tickets when the ABA existed, and I was at game 7 of the Championship series at midcourt, courtside, watching Julius Irving play amazing basketball.  Paultz, who was the center, ran into me on one play, trying to get the ball before it went out of bounds.  

Yes, I was very lucky kid back then.  

I went to all 3 of the WS games.   I got a Job with Harry M Steven’s as a peanut vendor at 15.  Best thing about the WS was 3 day games great weather.   It was amazing.   

Season tixs at the garden was expensive even back than.  You were very lucky.

• Upvote 1

On 12/30/2023 at 11:08 AM, Alka said:

I am at my lowest point as a Jets fan. I am 6 years younger but remember the Super Bowl win. I was originally a Namath fan, Unfortunately I think the Rodgers move was one of the dumbest moves by a NFL team ever. We will be mediocre to bad next year and then maybe the worst team in the NFL in 2025. Question becomes will Woody finally stop with hiring defensive coordinators that are ultra conservative or finally hire a modern day offensive minded HC? I guess we will see.

• Upvote 1

On 12/30/2023 at 2:08 PM, Alka said:

Born in '58.  Starting going to Shea w/my grandfather in 1966 as he had company seats too.  Bought my own season tickets in '84 when they made the move. I'm super jealous that you got to attend the 1969 AFC Championship.  Wow!  I share almost all of the same feelings as you expressed so well above.  Thank you.

• Upvote 1