Semi-OT - Buffalo - KC Playoff Game.

4 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Blockbuster movies are usually awful.  Consider the Top Gun sequel and Indiana Jones And The Dial Of Dysentery.  Absolute garbage.   If TS is in a movie it will make money due to her brand and not her acting chops.  Her support people including music producer and especially marketing people are brilliant.  That is why a TS move will profit.   In all fairness, though,  she may have some acting skills too,  Who knows.  

Bro.... wash your filthy fingers after typing that.  Top Gun 2 was ******* great.... do NOT mention it in the same sentence as Dial of Dysentery. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Bro.... wash your filthy fingers after typing that.  Top Gun 2 was ******* great.... do NOT mention it in the same sentence as Dial of Dysentery. 

Have you lost your cinematic mind ??? The characters in Top Gun II were as shallow as skillets.  They were all Hollywood caricatures.  If that wasn't bad enough, you had a rank amateur story line.  Not only was the plot tediously formulaic, it was remarkably implausible with respect to the military/tactical aspects.  In 2023, you don't use a treetop altitude strike with F-18's for that application.  You wouldn't even go that rout in 1990 .  The entire premise that they dreamed up to get Tommy boy into action-man heroics was a laughable concoction.  Along with all of that, there was no larger point to the movie.  No significant or compelling message. Tom Cruise has a lot of range as an actor and he's played some great rolls, but in this case, with full control being his and no constraints, Tommy boy produced a total dud.   It was akin to letting Aaron Rodgers have full control of a football roster. 

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Have you lost your cinematic mind ??? The characters in Top Gun II were as shallow as skillets.  They were all Hollywood caricatures.  If that wasn't bad enough, you had a rank amateur story line.  Not only was the plot tediously formulaic, it was remarkably implausible with respect to the military/tactical aspects.  In 2023, you don't use a treetop altitude strike with F-18's for that application.  You wouldn't even go that rout in 1990 .  The entire premise that they dreamed up to get Tommy boy into action-man heroics was a laughable concoction.  Along with all of that, there was no larger point to the movie.  No significant or compelling message. Tom Cruise has a lot of range as an actor and he's played some great rolls, but in this case, with full control being his and no constraints, Tommy boy produced a total dud.   It was akin to letting Aaron Rodgers have full control of a football roster. 

It was Star Wars with Fighter Planes and Jennifer Connolly. 

You Lose Good Day GIF

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

It was Star Wars with Fighter Planes and Jennifer Connolly. 

You Lose Good Day GIF

Jennifer Connelly.  Yes... Even her endless talents and charms were wasted in the role that was written for her.

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2024 at 11:37 AM, THE BARON said:

Count on it... Bills are in for a league sponsored screwing. 

The team in the AFC Champ game vs. the Swiftie-Chifes are in for a screwing too.

So how much are you betting on the Chiefs then, given the "sure thing" status?

17 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Perhaps. But it was the best mainstream movie in forever. 

• Post of the Week 2

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So how much are you betting on the Chiefs then, given the "sure thing" status?

Not going to bet on that game.  But I did win $500.00 from an Cowboys fan that I work with.  I was all but positive that Dak would blow it as per standard procedure.  And he did.  2 interceptions and should have been 3.   It started out as a friendly bet, but the Cowboys fan escalated to $100.  Then I escalated to $200.00.  And then he escalated to $500.00.  

23 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Blockbuster movies are usually awful.  Consider the Top Gun sequel and Indiana Jones And The Dial Of Dysentery.  Absolute garbage.   If TS is in a movie it will make money due to her brand and not her acting chops.  Her support people including music producer and especially marketing people are brilliant.  That is why a TS move will profit.   In all fairness, though,  she may have some acting skills too,  Who knows.  

Top Gun sequel was bad? Huh? First I heard that. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Perhaps. But it was the best mainstream movie in forever. 

The cinematography was amazing at least.  If they would have deleted all the parts other than the flying segments and then, deleted all the dialog from the flying scenes and just played appropriate companion music, I would have approved.  It would have made a cool short. 

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

The cinematography was amazing at least.  If they would have deleted all the parts other than the flying segments and then, deleted all the dialog from the flying scenes and just played appropriate companion music, I would have approved.  It would have made a cool short. 

Take this crap to the Criterion forums, nerdlinger

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Meh. Jon Hamm is always good. Obviously some corny stuff but for Hollywood these days was pretty tame. The original had its corny moments too. Good movies just don’t exist anymore so you take what you can get. Did anyone see Scorsese’s latest? I’m sure it was dreadful. Ditto Napoleon. The last great move was Once Upon a Time and that was what 5 years ago already?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Meh. Jon Hamm is always good. Obviously some corny stuff but for Hollywood these days was pretty tame. The original had its corny moments too. Good movies just don’t exist anymore so you take what you can get. Did anyone see Scorsese’s latest? I’m sure it was dreadful. 

There are still plenty of good movies being made.  Some from the last decade that I thought were quality:

Wolf Of Wall Street, Parasite, Dunkirk, Arrival, The Two Popes, Against The Ice, Oppenheimer, Belfast, First Man, Dune, Arctic and a dozen others.  

Compared to those, Top Gun II was right up there with good old Saturday morning cartoons without the charm.  It really was a total POS of a movie. 

10 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

There are still plenty of good movies being made.  Some from the last decade that I thought were quality:

Wolf Of Wall Street, Parasite, Dunkirk, Arrival, The Two Popes, Against The Ice, Oppenheimer, Belfast, First Man, Dune, Arctic and a dozen others.  

Compared to those, Top Gun II was right up there with good old Saturday morning cartoons without the charm.  It really was a total POS of a movie. 

I haven’t seen Oppenheimer yet. 

18 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Tom Cruise has a lot of range as an actor and he's played some great rolls, but in this case, with full control being his and no constraints, Tommy boy produced a total dud.

Top Gun: Maverick grossed $718.7 million in the United States and Canada, and $777 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $1.496 billion.

It also holds 96% (Critic) and 99% (Audience) positive ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.

Sure looks like it accomplished the goal to me.

Not every film needs to be "To Kill a Mockingbird" or "The Godfather" or "Citizen Kane".  Sometimes folks just want a silly, fun popcorn flick to take their minds off the world.

Also, the original Top Gun was a cheesefest too.  Not remotely a serious film.  Ask any women what they remember, it'll involve oiled chests playing volleyball, lol.

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Top Gun: Maverick grossed $718.7 million in the United States and Canada, and $777 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $1.496 billion.

It also holds 96% (Critic) and 99% (Audience) positive ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.

Sure looks like it accomplished the goal to me.

Not every film needs to be "To Kill a Mockingbird" or "The Godfather" or "Citizen Kane".  Sometimes folks just want a silly, fun popcorn flick to take their minds off the world.

Also, the original Top Gun was a cheesefest too.  Not remotely a serious film.  Ask any women what they remember, it'll involve oiled chests playing volleyball, lol.

Nothing wrong with a mindless romp.  Classics like Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes or Killer Clowns From Outer Space.  Also agree that the studio and Tommy Boy made their profits.  For me, it was not the good kind of cheese.  It was tediously bad.  Still.. I'm just one person.  All that matters with visual or performing arts is what the individual likes. As they say... In the eye of the beholder.  I was at the Philadelphia Art Museum again a few weeks back.  I had another look at the Cy Twombly exhibit.  Some looked and laughed.  Others see something profound.

image.jpeg

Lot-15-Twombly-front-1024x832.jpg

18 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

For me, it was not the good kind of cheese.  It was tediously bad.  Still.. I'm just one person.

Yup.  You're a 1%'er. 

The 1% who didn't like the film.

18 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

All that matters with visual or performing arts is what the individual likes. As they say... In the eye of the beholder.  I was at the Philadelphia Art Museum again a few weeks back.  I had another look at the Cy Twombly exhibit.  Some looked and laughed.  Others see something profound.

I'd argue that Top Gun II was not an attempt at art in any form, but simply a commercial entertainment product.  Akin to the NFL, or the latest Call of Duty video game or a Circus.  It did not attempt to be profound, or enlightening to the human condition, or anything like that.

It attempted to entertain people for a few hours.  And make alot of money doing it.  And it succeeded gloriously in both aspects.

If you went in seeking or expecting more, I think the error was your own.  Especially f you had seen the first one, you really should have known what to expect...and more importantly, what not to expect.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Yup.  You're a 1%'er. 

The 1% who didn't like the film.

I'd argue that Top Gun II was not an attempt at art in any form, but simply a commercial entertainment product.  Akin to the NFL, or the latest Call of Duty video game or a Circus.  It did not attempt to be profound, or enlightening to the human condition, or anything like that.

It attempted to entertain people for a few hours.  And make alot of money doing it.  And it succeeded gloriously in both aspects.

If you went in seeking or expecting more, I think the error was your own.  Especially f you had seen the first one, you really should have known what to expect...and more importantly, what not to expect.

The first one was good cheese.  The second Top Gun was old, recycled smelly cheese.  The relationship between Goose and and Mav in the first movie was engaging.  The Goose's kid character and his relationship with Mav in TGII was preposterous. 

Once again. I agree with you that there is a market for movies that aren't grasping for Oscars.  If you want to see a good movie with plenty of fighter jet action and good characters...  Plain old fun without slinging garbage like TGII did, I recommend the following.  

The Final Countdown (1980)

Firefox (1982)

re top gun 2, i was greatly entertained and as a man of a certain age felt very nostalgic.
and pretty much the only film worth seeing in the theater in 2022.
ps ferrari and oppie (a jewish ferrari, if you will) both quite good. just my opin.

• Upvote 1