All rookie team......

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

IDK about that. Have to figure that pick#10 will be either OL or WR and FA will also add to Offense to satisfy AR. Paying Huff might be the bone they throw to the D.

I’m not optimistic based on Huff’s comments, JD’s comments, how many holes we have on offense, and how expensive Huff will be, but I hope I’m wrong. 

Huff flat out said that he’s looking for a scheme that uses him as an every down player - I don’t see that happening here. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Jets got.....

players on the list.

John Micheal Schmitz over Joe Tippman, drafted 14 picks after Tippman

Byron Young edge rusher for the Rams with 8 sacks, picked #77 in the 3rd round

Addision picked 23 all rookie wr

Anton Harrison OT picked 27th

Douglas borked that drafted terribly bad, just awful.

I was pissed when we didn't get John Michael Schmitz.  Stupid drafting again by JD.  He was the top ranked Center.

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I’m not optimistic based on Huff’s comments, JD’s comments, how many holes we have on offense, and how expensive Huff will be, but I hope I’m wrong. 

Huff flat out said that he’s looking for a scheme that uses him as an every down player - I don’t see that happening here. 

Good points.👍

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

You haven’t figured out yet that assessing a draft after one season is really dumb? 

This is fair.  But I do think it's reasonable to assess a process.  JD's process seems pretty rigid IMO.  It's obvious he's trying to follow the Newsome blueprint by developing a pipeline on the DL that produces comp picks and few 2nd contracts (which is why I believe he purposely targeted McD with the idea of letting Huff go).  To do this in 2023 he took the risk that his OL pieces would all produce for a 40-year old QB. available to us in a finite elite window, even though Becton, AVT and Brown were all coming off serious injuries (can't blame him for McG).  It just seems a bit too one-dimensional to me to force a system like this onto a team that clearly is still lacking many key pieces to be a consistent winner...

• Upvote 1

Huff is gone.  He is better suited to play 3-4 EDGE.  The better decision was to see his talent last year, sign him to a cheaper extension like Quincy Williams (who is likely regretting his contract) and drafting Addison, Anton Harrison instead.   

But from where we stand now, saving the bigger contract on Huff, getting a comp pick hopefully, and using the money on the OL is the better call.

But it does seem to me like JD was completely sleepwalking last off season.  

5 hours ago, jamesr said:

Tippman not starting straight away likely hampered his chances at this "award".

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I agree with you, but I also feel that Warren will end up being a good pick in the 4th round.  He was injured, and got involved towards the second 3rd of the season.  Where I feel that JD failed was with McDonald at #15.  The Jets didn't need another edge rusher, one that needs to develop.  

If I'm being honest, I give JD a "C" grade on the draft.

3 minutes ago, Alka said:

I agree with you, but I also feel that Warren will end up being a good pick in the 4th round.  He was injured, and got involved towards the second 3rd of the season.  Where I feel that JD failed was with McDonald at #15.  The Jets didn't need another edge rusher, one that needs to develop.  

JD is not getting another job anywhere unless he can find starting OL below the second round. 

Even his predecessors found starting OL below the second round. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

But it does seem to me like JD was completely sleepwalking last off season.  

Agree on Huff.  Not sure about the above. Sleepwalking suggests JD was oblivious to a lot of things.  I feel he consciously made the decision to risk a soon-to-be 40 yr old somewhat immobile QB behind a) a 38-yr old LT coming off an injury serious enough to not allow him to practice in camp, b) a RT/LT who he drafted that had not seen the field in 2 years, and c) an OG/OT he also drafted who lasted 6 games into his rookie season.  He also consciously took the risk that Rodgers would elevate Lazard and Cobb enough that he could replace Moore and Davis with a package of undrafted unknowns in Brownlee and Gipson.  When assessing his risk, he overhedged his DL rotation with McDonald, and played the hardway line at the table for everything else related to Rodgers... 

They didn't need him in 2023, no. But if Huff walks, as seems likely, we'll need him in 2024. And he should be more game ready in year 2, like JJ was.

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

They didn't need him in 2023, no. But if Huff walks, as seems likely, we'll need him in 2024. And he should be more game ready in year 2, like JJ was.

We hope he develops like JJ did, but until it happens, we just don't know.  And Huff is our best edge pass rusher, so it will be a downgrade, anyway you look at it.