Hey guys, remember David Shaw?

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Long time good coach from Stanford.   Lots of chatter for a number of years about him going to the NFL but he never showed interest.

Then Stanfords play fell off and he was no longer a hot prospect and he resigned.

The guy comes off as a perfect head coach in his demeanor and how he acts.  Whether that translates to the pros who knows.

He has a lot of NFL experience as an assistant coach.

If the chargers do not get Harbaugh he would be a good choice imo

His father was Willie Shaw, coached with the Raiders. 

• Upvote 4

This kinda falls into a rooney rule interview if we are being honest. Shaw has been out of coaching for a couple years and was not great his years prior to that.  Always thought he was a good coach and better NFL fit but this tells me they are ready to hire Harbaugh or Vrable and have to check the appropriate boxes.

18 minutes ago, BCJet said:

The Shaw thing is a perfect example of how flawed the thinking in the football world is.  So the entire college football world changes and Stanford just doesnt have the players to compete anymore and somehow everything that Shaw accomplished is diminished?  Did he have great leadership qualities and character in 2019 and now he doesnt because his team lost a few games?

The NFL promotes coordinators into the HC role as if those 2 jobs have any sort of similar characteristics.  Of course a good OC can translate to a team having a good offense if they are the HC and in some cases that individual grows into the role and can do both.  But teams waste far too much time with guys like Matt Nagy when they should be looking for actual CEO type guys like David Shaw.

Now of course that way of thinking isnt perfect as we all know too well because when Saleh came here his leadership was lauded far more then his Xs and Os and although he seems like a great guy he obviously is struggling with accountability and managing his staff so who knows but if I was picking a HC in 2024 id spend a lot of time with David Shaw.

I'd fire Saleh today, if I thought Shaw would take the job.

Another good coach on the market, in a year when Woody decides to stick with his overmatched staff.

Shaw, like a lot of other good coaches, will likely be unavailable next year when the Jets finally move on from the current regime.

• Post of the Week 1

Shaw is the type of guy we should be hiring this offseason as a Senior Offensive Assistant HC type role.

Let AR8 keep his wooby (Hackett) and call his own plays etc and have Shaw helping support the offense and ready to assume the head coach job if and when this all implodes next year and Saleh and Hackett are fired.

Get ahead of it! CEO-type coach with a strong offensive and QB background + a leader of men. It would be a no brainer.

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Shaw is the type of guy we should be hiring this offseason as a Senior Offensive Assistant HC type role.

Let AR8 keep his wooby (Hackett) and call his own plays etc and have Shaw helping support the offense and ready to assume the head coach job if and when this all implodes next year and Saleh and Hackett are fired.

Get ahead of it! CEO-type coach with a strong offensive and QB background + a leader of men. It would be a no brainer.

First off - the wooby reference hysterical, kudos!

I love the idea of Shaw in that role, the problem is that something that a strong organization would do and that is NOT the jets.  Woody would need balls to do that and has none, nor does he probably have even the slightest understanding of accountability.  My guess is he would say "no that would make it awkward and too hard for saleh to do his job with someone over his shoulder etc.....which happens to be an argument that does have a factual basis in some cases.  Unfortunately Saleh has one of the 32 most coveted jobs in the world, one which pays him millions of dollars and with that SHOULD come an extraordinary level of accountability.  Instead we have an organization led by a person who has been a legit billionaire without being held accountable for single thing his entire life. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

I'd fire Saleh today, if I thought Shaw would take the job.

Another good coach on the market, in a year when Woody decides to stick with his overmatched staff.

Shaw, like a lot of other good coaches, will likely be unavailable next year when the Jets finally move on from the current regime.

based on what? that he was good in Stanford with Jim Harbaughs recruits? 

30 minutes ago, BCJet said:

First off - the wooby reference hysterical, kudos!

I love the idea of Shaw in that role, the problem is that something that a strong organization would do and that is NOT the jets.  Woody would need balls to do that and has none, nor does he probably have even the slightest understanding of accountability.  My guess is he would say "no that would make it awkward and too hard for saleh to do his job with someone over his shoulder etc.....which happens to be an argument that does have a factual basis in some cases.  Unfortunately Saleh has one of the 32 most coveted jobs in the world, one which pays him millions of dollars and with that SHOULD come an extraordinary level of accountability.  Instead we have an organization led by a person who has been a legit billionaire without being held accountable for single thing his entire life. 

Right ... right... right.... exactly right. We (we should stop saying we because the fanbase is smarter than the organization), THEY need to start doing the Costanza:

db7c78dc-2b5e-49cb-ab8d-1f2b96eed648_tex

Woody should be doing the opposite of his instincts. He wants to make AR8 happy by keeping Saleh and Co. fine keep 'em....but hire some people to "help support" the process but really are just waiting in the wings to take over in case of failure. And if it doesn't fail? Great you have an experienced guy like Shaw on staff for a bit. That can't be a bad thing.

• Upvote 1

I think Joe Douglas has ties to David Shaw and he would honestly be the perfect "head coach of the offense" in-house coach to take over when Saleh eventually fails. But we never do anything smart or proactive. 

If this guy doesn't get a head coaching job this year I would hope when we do fire Saleh most likely next year) that this guy is considered.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Right ... right... right.... exactly right. We (we should stop saying we because the fanbase is smarter than the organization), THEY need to start doing the Costanza:

db7c78dc-2b5e-49cb-ab8d-1f2b96eed648_tex

Woody should be doing the opposite of his instincts. He wants to make AR8 happy by keeping Saleh and Co. fine keep 'em....but hire some people to "help support" the process but really are just waiting in the wings to take over in case of failure. And if it doesn't fail? Great you have an experienced guy like Shaw on staff for a bit. That can't be a bad thing.

Love the Seinfeld reference and agree about Woody. If for some reason they "reboot" Seinfeld. George will work for the Jets and Larry David could play the bumbling Woody sitting at the desk.

• Upvote 1

It is kind of ironic that we think we need a new overseer of the offense when we hired someone already who has extensive experience as an OC and was actually paid millions and millions of $ to be HC of the Broncos.