Those poor Lions fans

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

even if you want to excuse those decisions because "that's what got them there" there is zero excuse for taking the timeout with possession at the end of the game. Run the ball on 3rd if you want but you HAVE to call 2 plays in the huddle in case you don't make it so you keep the timeout.

To me that's the most ugly mistake he made. Just stupid to make a decision where you choose to rely on recovering an onsides kick. 

Yup-the way he managed the clock at the end was egregious. He should have passed into the end zone. Score a touchdown that's great, if it falls incomplete you kick the FG with your three timeouts and only down 7 and try to get a stop and the ball back. Instead, he banked on getting an extremely low percentage play in the onside kick.

43 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Yup-the way he managed the clock at the end was egregious. He should have passed into the end zone. Score a touchdown that's great, if it falls incomplete you kick the FG with your three timeouts and only down 7 and try to get a stop and the ball back. Instead, he banked on getting an extremely low percentage play in the onside kick.

Badgley isn’t exactly reliable as a kicker.

He’s a journeyman who has bounced around and doesn’t have the strongest leg.

All other things being equal, you have to attempt the 48 yarder to tie the game there.

But I wonder if this is an overlooked factor, and if so, that’s more on Brad Holmes.

50 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Green Bay is going to be good again but the Bears gotta prove they're going to be a problem first.

Chicago has a king’s ransom worth of draft capital this year in a talent-rich class.

They may not be good right away, but this a golden opportunity for them to build a juggernaut over the next 2 to 5 years.

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

They have a king’s ransom worth of draft capital this year in a talent-rich class.

They may not be good right away, but this a golden opportunity for them to build a juggernaut over the next 2 to 5 years.

This is the Bears you’re talking about. I’ll believe it when it see it. 

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

This is how the lions have played all season and it got them to the NFC championship.  It’s disingenuous to change at the end.   I give campbell a lot of credit for sticking with what he believes in a high stress moment.   

eh.  I understand but I don't know if I agree.  Just because you did it to get there doesn't mean it's the same especially in the playoffs and the NFC championship and when the competition is the best of the best.  You had the niners reeling and that was a 10 pt swing rather than a 3 score lead (assuming the FG was made).  To me its ok to adjust based on the situation, time, place ,etc.

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Perfect example of a very good head coach who knows how to coach football and motivate men but has no idea how to manage a game. If the Detroit organization is smart they will hire a situational consultant to help Campbell with these situations. Having faith in your offense to convert a first down on 4th down is one thing but making that decision in a game altering enviornment where the field goal is definetly the smarter play is another . 

A consult? Like the guy who wrote Football For Dummies? Perfect.

Lions won their division, won two home playoff games, and they have a bright future. Lions should hold their head high. They had an awesome season, and Dan Campbell is great for the game. 
I'm sure the Lions fans feel great like Jets fans did after their Championship game losses. Oh what a feeling!
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

even if you want to excuse those decisions because "that's what got them there" there is zero excuse for taking the timeout with possession at the end of the game. Run the ball on 3rd if you want but you HAVE to call 2 plays in the huddle in case you don't make it so you keep the timeout.

To me that's the most ugly mistake he made. Just stupid to make a decision where you choose to rely on recovering an onsides kick. 

At that point it realy didnt matter.  They were done.

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:

You don't say? emoji28.png

I'm well aware of our history but in neither of those game were we up 17 points. In 2009 we were only up 4 at the half. Against the Broncos the game was tied halfway through the 3rd quarter.

The Lions had a 17 point lead at the half and then a 14 point lead halfway through the 3rd quarter with a chance to go up by 17 again. Their loss if far worse than either of the Jets championship games where we had a lead in the 2nd half. I get that Jets fans love being the sad clowns of the NFL but yesterday's game was a collapse of epic proportions.

What an odd thing to dick-wave over "Our pathetic loss in the Championship Game was less bad than their pathetic loss in the Championship Game!".

Some of you really seem to desperately need something, anything, to cling to when it comes to the Jets record of futility since SBIII.

It's the same as the "Mahomes is the GOAT now vs. Brady" argument that literally only Jets Fans ever make.....as if that being somehow true undoes or softens the decades of Brady clowning our franchise while winning Super Bowls, lol.

We are what we are.  Own it.  Nothing anyone else does will ever undo it.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

what about the first 4th down?  should they have kicked there?  i think it iwas 4th and 2

Absolutely. I would have. It just puts more pressure on the opposing team and woul dhave put them back up by 17.   I could see doing it if they were up by more but you always want to stretch that lead out in terms of needing more possesions for othe opposing team too tie or take the lead.  With a 17 point lead, the 49'ers would have needed at least 3 possesions with scores.  2 TD's still would have left them a point short.  And after the first failed 4th down atempt, the Niners woke up.  It was like night nad day after that.  Lions were over their head in 2nd half and self destructed.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Origen said:

Yeah, we let the Kicker go out there and straight up Miss the kicks.

Exactly, kneeling instead of running the ball to give our kicker a shorter FG was sheer brilliance.

Especially since Dougie had just missed one.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

eh at that point they were done.  

they fought back to make it a 1 score game. how were they done? I totally disagree. 

save the timeout and kick off with ~50 seconds left. get a 3 and out using all 3 timeouts and you're getting the ball back w ~30 seconds left only needing a FG to tie. Admittedly, Campbell probably goes for the TD instead of the FG because stuff.

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

A consult? Like the guy who wrote Football For Dummies? Perfect.

believe it or not most HC's have a clock management guy they talk too in their headset who can focus on that while the coach focuses on X's and O's

52 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

they fought back to make it a 1 score game. how were they done? I totally disagree. 

save the timeout and kick off with ~50 seconds left. get a 3 and out using all 3 timeouts and you're getting the ball back w ~30 seconds left only needing a FG to tie. Admittedly, Campbell probably goes for the TD instead of the FG because stuff.

I disagree 50%

58 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think giving your team a chance to win the NFCCG does matter, but maybe just me.

they had a chance if they kicked the field goal with 1:40 or so left on the clock with 3 timeouts ...Once you make the decision to go for the TD you are in a black hole . They wasted 50 seconds and a time out by going for the TD.  On top of that they ran one and forced themselves into using their first time out and that cost them any chance at all of winning.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Devastating loss. Not quite 28-3 but they basically were buying tickets to Vegas and then completely collapsed. I figured 9ers offense would figure it out eventually but the Lions just imploded -- couldn't catch a cold in the 2nd half, the Gibbs fumble, getting stopped in the redzone, etc.

I don't know if this is a hot take or not -- but given expectations and "legacy" on the line I could argue the Ravens loss was actually worse. Everything fell into place for them to win it all this year. Best defense, best overall team, Lamar wins MVP. Mahomes and Allen have "down" years, Burrow out injured, Rodgers out injured, Watson out injured. Top seed, etc.

Instead (as many of us predicted) Lamar comes up small again and you lose to the Chiefs. Guy can't play from behind... And what now? If you couldn't beat the Chiefs under these circumstances what makes you think you'll do it next year?

Sobering loss because while their window hasn't closed it's difficult to imagine they'll have a "better" chance in the future while if you're a Lions fan you can at least sell yourself on the idea that the window just opened and you'll be back... Granted I thought the Jets would be back after losing to the Steelers 13 years ago.

This applies to Josh Allen as well

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

believe it or not most HC's have a clock management guy they talk too in their headset who can focus on that while the coach focuses on X's and O's

Would love to see Vince lombardi's face when some guy whispers in his ear to tell him how to manage the game.

vince.jpg

30 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

they had a chance if they kicked the field goal with 1:40 or so left on the clock with 3 timeouts ...Once you make the decision to go for the TD you are in a black hole . They wasted 50 seconds and a time out by going for the TD.  On top of that they ran one and forced themselves into using their first time out and that cost them any chance at all of winning.

going for the TD was fine. using the timeout was the problem.

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

This applies to Josh Allen as well

Eh, not the same. Allen is 5-5 with good stats in the playoffs. He's got a passer rating over 100 with 272 YPG, 21 TDs to 4 INTs, etc,

By contrast Lamar is 2-4 with a passer rating of 75. 6 TDs and 6 INTs.

Allen can't get over the hump but I don't think he has the same perception as Lamar (or someone like Peyton Manning) where he's just not as good in the playoffs as the regular season and his performance is why his team isn't winning.

13 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

SO its ok he blew the game because they are a young team? Because he's a relatively new coach? Any fair weathered fan who knows beans about football would have kicked teh FG - not once but twice in those same sitautions. Its notlike they were up by 28 points. they were up by 17 and that can chane on a dime just lie it did AND the failed 4th down tries changed the whole momentum not once BUT twice.  Which just makes the 2nd time he did even stupider. 

Never said it was ok. I'm just saying he's a young coach and will learn from his mistakes. Plus, those conversion attempts weren't even the big turning points in the game as they seemed.

• Haha 1