What should they do with their pick???

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If Joe Alt or Olu Fashanu are there draft one of those top OT's

If not do not shy away from a weapon player if a WR falls to 10 or if Bowers is there.

Only trade down if a good offer is on the board, at 10 I am not sure if there will be any player teams will want to go up and get.  (I'm assuming the top 3 QBs are off the board)

I fully expect the Jets to take the 3rd OT off the board with some really good weapons in the board.  After the to two OTs there is a bunch of OT's to choose from but they will talk themselves into the 3rd best OT being way better than the next guy.

And if both Alt and Fashanu are gone (ALT WILL BE), take Fuaga unless Bowers falls.  Then take Bowers and use scouting input to find the OT in round two,  Or... If Bowers falls, snatch him up and trade a 2025 pick to move back into round 1 and take Fuaga

On 2/5/2024 at 9:04 PM, The Crusher said:

I’d like to think they could move it, still get a good O lineman and then recoup our second around pick. But, Joe Douglas is incapable of picking solid O lineman so it probably doesn’t matter what he does. 

So AVT is a bust? Tippman is a bust?  Becton, for all his troubles, had a very good first year. Granted, his weight would have scared me away but JD is not a total washout.  He's had immense failures and outstanding successes.  Getting a QB, lke Mac failed to do, has really hurt him. If they bomb next year, thay are all OUT THE DOOR.

On 2/6/2024 at 10:55 PM, THE BARON said:

And if both Alt and Fashanu are gone (ALT WILL BE), take Fuaga unless Bowers falls.  Then take Bowers and use scouting input to find the OT in round two,  Or... If Bowers falls, snatch him up and trade a 2025 pick to move back into round 1 and take Fuaga

Fashanu will still be there at 10 and he might be a better prospect than Alt.  Not saying anything bad about Alt but he’s from Norte Dame so he’s going to get hype

On 2/6/2024 at 12:39 PM, OilfieldJet said:

Drafting anything other than OT in R1 is a mistake.

I still think we need to draft a QB.  Rodgers is a Goddamned flake who will either retire out of nowhere or get injured again because he’s 40 and more worried about becoming a media personality.  If I have to watch another full season of Zach stink I will literally go insane.

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2024 at 3:55 PM, THE BARON said:

I can’t support taking a TE, but agree we have to find a way to add OT talent. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

So AVT is a bust? Tippman is a bust?  Becton, for all his troubles, had a very good first year. Granted, his weight would have scared me away but JD is not a total washout.  He's had immense failures and outstanding successes.  Getting a QB, lke Mac failed to do, has really hurt him. If they bomb next year, thay are all OUT THE DOOR.

Who cares what  they did or what they might do one day? AVT as of right now, is not worth what we have up to get him. Why? Because of all his ability the one he lacks is the most important one. Availability. 

Becton had an ok rookie year, last year he sucked. If he was such a great puck why didn’t extend him? Because he was the wrong pick at the time and still is. 

Tippman had a solid first year except the injury. 

Joe Douglas has a losing record as a GM. We literally need more offensive lineman than we have right now.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:18 PM, K_O_Brien said:

Trade down to 18-25 range - draft one of Guyton, Fautanu, Mims, Morgan. 

Hey, K O Brien, I kind of miss watching Kenny O'Brien play- not his slow-footedness, but his accuracy, strength and decision-making I enjoyed. Give him protection and he could sling it. I wouldn't mind having HIM on this current team (with a good O-line, of course!)

On 2/6/2024 at 4:50 PM, Beerfish said:

Further to this what do we have to spend our 8 picks on position wise?   (Douglas likes to trade around so we probably won't end up with 8 picks when all is said and done but for this let's assume 8 picks)

Offensive line:  2 picks, we for sure need a tackle and I also want a guard in the draft.  No I do not want a tackle and then say oh we can move him to guard and no I do not want a center and say oh we can move or Tippman to guard, screw that.  Draft a true wide body, short armed bull of a guard who will not get run over by DTs and can move people in the run game.

Wide Receivers:  2 picks,  Douglas has screwed up in the past by drafting one WR and then saying' we good!  in deep wr drafts.  You never find good wrs who are revelations mid to late draft ala Diggs, Nakua, Antonio Brown if you never use picks on them.

Running Back:  1 pick, After dumping Cook and Carter we need another RB,  I'd like a big power north south back to compliment Hall ad Abanikanda

Quarter Back:  1 pick, We need to pick a young developmental guy somewhere in the draft as our 3 QB.  I've said for years you #3 QB should always be a developmental guy, not some jag like Boyle who has no upside.

Defensive Tackle: 1 pick, We need some young cheap interior dline, perrrion winfrey may help next year but I'd like to see us draft a large run stopper DT somewhere, a  down cheap plug of a player.

Linebacker: 1 pick,  No I do not want the Jets annual try and find the next Fred Warner small off the ball linebacker, every year they are picking guys they try to shoehorn into that position.  I want a guy with a bit more size who makes tackles.  An easy replacement for the vastly over priced mosley at some point in time.

One problem is that we don't have high enough draft picks to actually get players who will make contributions at all of these positions. Most of these will need to be FA signings. 

1sr Rd.: Expected starter

3rd Rd: Depth and contributor, potential starter

4th Round (x2): Depth, development and potential contributor 

6th and 7th+: Specials and development 

So lets say we take a developmental QB and and DT late in the draft. Let's even say one of the two WRs we take late with one of the compensatory picks. Getting an OT, OG, WR, RB and LB who will contribute or even serve as quality depth is not going to be possible. at least not without trading down or adding draft picks via trade. 

If you want an OT who can actually start right away, you probably have to take one at 10. 

If you want a WR who can legitimately contribute and probably start in the slot or as a complimentary piece to GW, I think you can get one in Rd. 3. 

You can probably find a RB and G with our two 4th round picks and both guys can be decent depth pieces and maybe solid contributors down the line or in case of injury. 

But then we miss out on a LB. Mix and match any way you want. And this is assuming most selections are pretty much on point.  

My optimal mock that covers most of these has been:

Rd. 1: Fuaga (sign a LT in FA)

Rd. 3: Pearsall (WR) 

Rd. 4: Zinter (G), Braelon Allen (RB)

Anyone we get in Rd. 6 & 7 (three total?) cannot be expected to make any contributions other than maybe specials and I am assuming are developmental players. At LB I actually like Sherwood as the heir apparent to Mosley and I think the Jets should look for a cheap vet run stuffing DT rather than trying to draft one. As far as WR, I agree, drafting two WRs would be optimal so as not to whiff but I am also assuming the Jets will go after a FA WR like Calvin Ridley - making our Receiving core in 2024 look something like this: GW, Ridley, Lazard, Pearsall, Gipson, Charles. Lots of pass catchers, guys who can contribute on specials, guys with size, guys with speed, veterans and youth. 

I'm actually starting to think we skip drafting OT in the 1st if we fill the tackle spots in free agency, which I think will be a Rodgers mandate, especially if we somehow recoup a 2nd rounder by tagging + trading Huff.

• Rodgers won't want a rookie protecting his blindside Day 1
  • Douglas will go after a Donovan Smith type guy and a another mid level OT that can play LT or RT
  • We can draft a LT in the 2nd as it's a deep draft for OL and let them sit for a year or two 
  • 10 I think will get interesting if we have a good free agency and I can see a trade down or a WR/TE if not.
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I'm actually starting to think we skip drafting OT in the 1st if we fill the tackle spots in free agency, which I think will be a Rodgers mandate, especially if we somehow recoup a 2nd rounder by tagging + trading Huff.

• Rodgers won't want a rookie protecting his blindside Day 1
  • Douglas will go after a Donovan Smith type guy and a another mid level OT that can play LT or RT
  • We can draft a LT in the 2nd as it's a deep draft for OL and let them sit for a year or two 
  • 10 I think will get interesting if we have a good free agency and I can see a trade down or a WR/TE if not.

That’s interesting, but if they fill the OL spots in FA, then i have to entertain the possibility that woody wants a new shiny qb to throw in there when rodgers gets hurt.  Surely woody realizes that rodgers has at best 2 yrs left and maybe not even 1. 

31 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

That’s interesting, but if they fill the OL spots in FA, then i have to entertain the possibility that woody wants a new shiny qb to throw in there when rodgers gets hurt.  Surely woody realizes that rodgers has at best 2 yrs left and maybe not even 1. 

Woody is in La La La Land starry eyed over Rodgers, who at the end of the season stated he has maybe a FEW more years left. Woody will overpay Brissett (who I really like anyway) and be all in on AR8.

But I do think that 2025 draft we will be looking to draft someone in the 1st or 2nd to sit behind Rodgers, just not this year....and probably not even a mid or late round dart throw.

14 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Woody is in La La La Land starry eyed over Rodgers, who at the end of the season stated he has maybe a FEW more years left. Woody will overpay Brissett (who I really like anyway) and be all in on AR8.

But I do think that 2025 draft we will be looking to draft someone in the 1st or 2nd to sit behind Rodgers, just not this year....and probably not even a mid or late round dart throw.

Well, i think FA will dictate draft strategy perhaps more this year than others. How well can the patch up the OL?  Do they spend for a legit backup qb?  What do they do with huff?  

Also, regardless of what rodgers says, his body may say otherwise.  We’re in agreement that a guy like Pratt is what the team needs.  

26 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Well, i think FA will dictate draft strategy perhaps more this year than others. How well can the patch up the OL?  Do they spend for a legit backup qb?  What do they do with huff?  

Also, regardless of what rodgers says, his body may say otherwise.  We’re in agreement that a guy like Pratt is what the team needs.  

If they can get an additional 3rd or Pratt drops to the 4th then I think we'd have a shot at drafting him.

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

If they can get an additional 3rd or Pratt drops to the 4th then I think we'd have a shot at drafting him.

I’d be surprised if he makes it to the 4th round, though.  I do think the jets are going to trade out of 10, there will probably be takers and the jets need another day 2 pick

34 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I’d be surprised if he makes it to the 4th round, though.  I do think the jets are going to trade out of 10, there will probably be takers and the jets need another day 2 pick

QBs are funny in the draft. There is usually a rush of people who go too soon but then go too late because once the first wave goes teams are typically left looking for starters in rounds 3-4 when QBs in that range are not Day 1 starters. I won't be shocked if he's there at the top of the 4th with teams looking to trade up for him.

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

QBs are funny in the draft. There is usually a rush of people who go too soon but then go too late because once the first wave goes teams are typically left looking for starters in rounds 3-4 when QBs in that range are not Day 1 starters. I won't be shocked if he's there at the top of the 4th with teams looking to trade up for him.

That could happen, but if the jets actually want him, you have to proceed as if he’s gone by the end of the 3rd or even the middle of the 3rd.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

That could happen, but if the jets actually want him, you have to proceed as if he’s gone by the end of the 3rd or even the middle of the 3rd.  

They're in win now and the 3rd round should be producing a starter at some position (especially if we don't recoup a 2nd). They ain't spending it on a 3rd string QB.

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

They're in win now and the 3rd round should be producing a starter at some position (especially if we don't recoup a 2nd). They ain't spending it on a 3rd string QB.

Unless they strike out in FA on backup qbs and then view pratt as the backup 

7 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Fashanu will still be there at 10 and he might be a better prospect than Alt.  Not saying anything bad about Alt but he’s from Norte Dame so he’s going to get hype

I am a ND fan and I have seen all their games.  Also saw some Fashanu highlights.  I'd prefer Alt, but you may be right. 

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Who cares what  they did or what they might do one day? AVT as of right now, is not worth what we have up to get him. Why? Because of all his ability the one he lacks is the most important one. Availability. 

Becton had an ok rookie year, last year he sucked. If he was such a great puck why didn’t extend him? Because he was the wrong pick at the time and still is. 

Tippman had a solid first year except the injury. 

Joe Douglas has a losing record as a GM. We literally need more offensive lineman than we have right now.

I never said I wanted Becton back. It was a bad pick from the beginning. He's too big and that is a huge risk. But he played well in his 1st year. Thats not the argument here.   AVT and Tippy are solid picks. Injuries are part of the game. Cant help that. So dont know what you beef is. 

Rex: Lets Go Get a Snack

• Post of the Week 1

We are going to need 3 OT this year sign two draft one. If the top 2 are gone drafting the Fuaga is probably your best option you need an RT.

Your LT then has to be a vet you sign in FA. I would definitely draft a an OT right or left with are first rd pick. The TE and WR are needs but not even close to OT.

What they do before the draft could easily change the answer.  Today, Draft Alt or Fashanu.  If both are gone, trade back and add a second rounder.  Then draft a tackle in the next tier.

Their priorities should be coming out of the draft with a starting OT and a #2 receiver.  They should be able to patch the other holes in free agency.  Aaron Rodgers has a quick release and stellar blitz recognition.  He should be able to make a decent line look better.

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2024 at 6:39 AM, OilfieldJet said:

Drafting anything other than OT in R1 is a mistake.

Depends how free agency goes. Same ol’ jets won’t get any of their high priority targets. The only thing different from this upcoming offseason vs previous ones is that we’ll have Rodgers on board helping recruit. Hopefully Rodgers can be the difference vs getting used to make a team pay more vs them just signing here.

It’s not that we need a line full of first rounders (we actually have that now and that didn’t turn out too well), we need a quality starters and we are more likely to get one early. This is a position of need we can’t afford to screw up.