NFL Combine NEWS + Reports (JD Press conference)

24 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I'm not sure how many fans know about what really goes on at the combine but it's really just one big party.  These dudes all go and have dinner to talk biz and then go hard every night at the bars.  It's almost more of a time for GM/scouts/coaches to mix it up and start planting seeds, push propaganda, etc. then it is to evaluate prospects.  Also, there are just as many hired individual coaches that players use ie; John Beck, Denny Thompson's of the world, etc, as there are NFL people and there are way more media personalities than anything else.  Like, I'm just not now watching some reruns of the Qb's and look at who's on the field.  It's not NFL peeps.  It's media and random 3rd party position coaches.

So, not many HC's value the combine and lets be real, you dont need to see the action anyway, you can just look at the results if you really value it or now if you really want to see it, just watch the NFLN.  The value comes from the one on one time w/ prospects which many HC's do leave up to the GM/scouts/position coaches and wait for prodays and visits to have their time w/ the prospect. 

Figured I'd just educate the masses if this wasnt known.  Not really so much a defense of Saleh but this news isnt surprise if you understand the mechanics of the combine.

It’s an NFL personnel-side annual convention with a lot of drinking and rubbing of elbows. There’s value in being there, particularly if you’re an endangered coach who probably needs to network, and who needs face time with the prospects he’s going to have to coach considering how many recent cornerstone prospects are washing out of your program. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So Woody "MADE" JD acquire Rodgers (despite "making" JD draft Wilson for JetBlue).

Now Woody is "MAKING" JD trade Rodgers.

JD:  Innocent Victim, Powerless.  Pity him (and keep paying him)?

Wow, this forum some days is sooooooo lol.

it makes no sense for a GM with one year left to draft a QB when you have Rodgers. so if that did happen it had to be Woody.

i know so people here think JD is bad but is he that stupid with his job on the line to draft a QB for the future that he most likely wont be here for?

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s an NFL personnel-side annual convention with a lot of drinking and rubbing of elbows. There’s value in being there, particularly if you’re an endangered coach who probably needs to network, and who needs face time with the prospects he’s going to have to coach considering how many recent cornerstone prospects are washing out of your program. 

100%.  Again wasnt defending Saleh but more so just saying if JD has him running recon on something and not as focused on the "scouting" part, it's not a shock.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

100%.  Again wasnt defending Saleh but more so just saying if JD has him running recon on something and not as focused on the "scouting" part, it's not a shock.

Sorry to jump into defense-mode. Still seething over your Taylor Swift slander. **** @Jetsfan80 too. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

And just like that, he’s gone

Is this the Jets attempt to make it look like they are interested in a QB in order to drum up some trade up possibilities for their pick? 

4 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

Is this the Jets attempt to make it look like they are interested in a QB in order to drum up some trade up possibilities for their pick? 

I think it was just a cya attempt bc of the bad press. That’s if he was even there. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think it was just a cya attempt bc of the bad press. That’s if he was even there. 

That could be as well. Hard to believe losing coach Saleh sees no value in being there and finding some way to improve himself and give organization better input on potential picks or undrafted signings for the team he's paid millions to coach. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Yeah, I want Bob Saleh evaluating offensive linemen emoji28.png

Him being there yesterday to evaluate QBs and WRs was so much better...

He's supposed to be the Head coach, he could take an interest in the entire team.

Jim Harbaugh saw the value in being there every day, and I am sure he is already better acquainted with college prospects than the stair-running motivational speaker is.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Him being there yesterday to evaluate QBs and WRs was so much better...

He's supposed to be the Head coach, he could take an interest in the entire team.

Jim Harbaugh saw the value in being there every day, and I am sure he is already better acquainted with college prospects than the stair-running motivational speaker is.

FWIW, I think they did the interviews with the OL guys yesterday

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

DJ Reed and 10 for Davante Adams and 13.

That's a lose for the Jets.  Imo.

I like my chances of finding a second WR to "compliment" Wilson versus "stunt" Wilson.

Wilson needs to be the guy 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW, I think they did the interviews with the OL guys yesterday

Ok mr. Fashanu, i have one for you:  you’re 174 yards from the pin, dogleg left, slight tailwind, bunkers in front of the green.  What club you using?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Huh. Cimini’s tidbits today: The vibes are bad, they’re not replacing Alexander or Hogan, there’s gonna be a huge dead cap charge by the time they’re done cutting all the dead weight, and a former exec is blind-quoted as saying that Woody would have fired everyone were it not for being trapped by the Rodgers deal. Most interesting quote, though? 

7. Heeere's Robert: After initially planning to skip the combine for the third straight year, Saleh called an audible and was scheduled to arrive over the weekend. He's not there to evaluate prospects; he has a couple of meetings lined up. "A couple of interesting situations could present themselves," Douglas said cryptically.

“The Packers said they might let us give them picks for a player they no longer want again.”