NFL Combine NEWS + Reports (JD Press conference)

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

Have you done any work on Zack Frazier from WVU?  

Interesting but will be picked in the exact 2nd Rd where the Jets don't have a pick

do they move Tippmann in this scenario? I wouldn't be against it, he was better at guard than center 

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2024 at 12:01 PM, Augustiniak said:

So with all these red flags we should take him with our track record of drafting qbs?

Honestly, red flags are a reason to interview him.  You need to be able to discern which lunatic narcissistic qualities you can determine from an interview and which will lead to disaster rather than success at QB.  You don't think being in a room with Leaf, Trubisky, Lynch, Rosen before the draft would provide helpful information for your next set of QB interviews?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Interesting but will be picked in the exact 2nd Rd where the Jets don't have a pick

do they move Tippmann in this scenario? I wouldn't be against it, he was better at guard than center 

Obviously this would necessitate a trade down to recoup the 2 nd rounder. If done, take OT in 1st and if you get Frazier, he is C and Tippmann G. Fingers crossed .. LT 1st rd.  LG AVT. C Frazier. RG Tippmann RT Warren or FA. I could live with that for sure.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Obviously this would necessitate a trade down to recoup the 2 nd rounder. 

too many fellow fans are predicting a trade down 

but who are teams trading up for? Bo nix or penix? It might not be a great place to trade down 

Meanwhile the Jets should be in the right place to get a starting OT at 10 why mess with that? 

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

but who are teams trading up for? Bo nix or penix? It might not be a great place to trade down 

Meanwhile the Jets should be in the right place to get a starting OT at 10 why mess with that? 

It’s an eight or nine player draft depending on whether you value an undersized tight end in that top tier, right? If a QB (McCarthy) or a defensive player (Arnold or Turner) slips into the top ten a team might want to get ahead of the tier break. If not, might want to get ahead of Minnesota for McCarthy or Arnold.

I do think it’ll be a tough spot for the Jets to trade out because if a top tier guy is there he’s likely at a position of need and if not you’re opening that second tier - again unless someone wants McCarthy.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

mccarthy or a wr.  that's kinda it. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Besides the fact that avt got hurt at RT he's got 32 inch arms 

He can be an emergency ot but he's not really a rt 

They should just move him back to LG where he was playing well and developing 

I'd rather see him at guard, myself, all things being equal. 

Having said that, he played very well at tackle (both in college and for the Jets) AND AVT filling a tackle spot for the Jets gives them maximum flexibility to build a good line because there are a number of serviceable guards in FA (and later in this draft) that could be realistic targets. Hence, you could argue that all things aren't "equal."

But, on the injury front, do we think AVT tore his achilles because he was playing tackle? Achilles injuries for a young player like AVT so random and unpredictable. The torn triceps I could see more. 

1 hour ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

AVT's position will be decided last. Once they add free agents and draft - then they can decide what's left and where to put him since he can basically play anywhere along the OL.

I think I would find that annoying if I was AVT. If he has to prepare for tackle, they should let him start now so he doesn’t blow his plant leg out again. I’m guessing the training regimens for guards and tackles would be at least somewhat different. 

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'd rather see him at guard, myself, all things being equal. 

Having said that, he played very well at tackle (both in college and for the Jets)

AVT reminds me of David Diehl a dude who can play tackle for a team in a pinch but probably shouldn't play tackle for you all the time 

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

But, on the injury front, do we think AVT tore his achilles because he was playing tackle? Achilles injuries for a young player like AVT so random and unpredictable. The torn triceps I could see more. 

it's hard to say why a dude got hurt but again Diehl was fine until the year they moved him from LT to RT he tore his hamstring and dislocated hip 

life in the NFL is hobbesian "Nasty brutish and short" it's possible Diehl and AVT get hurt no matter where they play but I do think it's bad mojo to move guys around willy nilly, and most teams avoid it like the plague 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If they just bit the bullet and lost the Pats game, they’re at 6 right now and waiting to scoop up a potential franchise left tackle. If they lose both the Washington and Pats games, iirc, they’d be at 3 fielding call for massive trade downs with whomever wants Daniels. Dumbest franchise alive. 

Fwiw I think the tackle board is going to shuffle alot between now and the draft and we could be living in a world where Fuaga goes before Alt, or Latham goes OT 1 to LAC as i think Kiper recently predicted. There's Olu and Mims and enough starting OT types (at least 5) that the Jets being at 10 doesn't hurt them 

you're right about being able to trade down from 4 or 6 or wherever though.  

Still a better draft pick is not a reason for losing simply because many well run teams pick late in the rd and have success

the bad teams pick at the top and screw it up see Wilson, Zach 

it doesn't matter where you pick it matter who you pick 

I'd rather see the Jets beat Belly in his last game than have 3 slots or whatever in April 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If they just bit the bullet and lost the Pats game, they’re at 6 right now and waiting to scoop up a potential franchise left tackle. If they lose both the Washington and Pats games, iirc, they’d be at 3 fielding call for massive trade downs with whomever wants Daniels. Dumbest franchise alive. 

Yep. 

Seems like we are lamenting these meaningless wins every single year. 

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Naive thinking.  They can get a LT if they want.  Also think guys are going to slide.  The jets are the only team desperate for OL help such that every mock has them taking one.  The lament is that they have rodgers, b/c they’re not in the qb market. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Fwiw I think the tackle board is going to shuffle alot between now and the draft and we could be living in a world where Fuaga goes before Alt, or Latham goes OT 1 to LAC as i think Kiper recently predicted 

a better draft pick is not a reason for losing simply because many well run teams pick late in the rd and have success

the bad teams pick at the top and screw it up see Wilson, Zach 

it doesn't matter where you pick it matter who you pick 

Adding on to this:

I do agree with Bit and believe there’s one of Alt or Fashanu available at 10.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this might be ludicrous but I don't think JJ McCarthy is even on the board when the Jets pick at 10 

That's not necessarily ludicrous. He has a lot of the tools that these teams look for and it seems like he has more fans by the day. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Yes, but that isn’t even a victory.  It pleases the draft gods. 

I want one of those guys so badly that I’m willing to go to jail for defamation and libel to get them here.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this might be ludicrous but I don't think JJ McCarthy is even on the board when the Jets pick at 10 

I think this McCarthy stuff has to be a joke. I know all the draft guys are saying teams love him, but he’s a skinny little dude who didn’t throw passes in college. I think McCarthy “rising” is more a commentary on Nix and Penix looking meh at the Senior Bowl. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don't really disagree but I just think moving him to RT is the route that they're going to go.

The Jets can trade down, pick up a second round pick, and pick an OT that could definitely play RT-if not Fuaga, Guyton or others.

That second round pick can be a WR or G.  Their third round pick, at the top of the round, can be a good guard.  Look at the good guards in the NFL and where they were picked.  This is a great OL year and players will drop down.

If we play AVT at RT he will not last.  he will get hurt.  Fact.  Draft a RT and LG, play AVT at RG, sign a LT.  Voila.  

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think I would find that annoying if I was AVT. If he has to prepare for tackle, they should let him start now so he doesn’t blow his plant leg out again. I’m guessing the training regimens for guards and tackles would be at least somewhat different. 

Remember that Saleh said they had been talking to AVT about making him a permanent tackle just days before he got hurt in Denver. I think it comes down to whether they associate the injury with him playing tackle. If they don't, I'd guess that they have already told him he'll be a tackle, since they were supposedly talking about it with him back in October. if they do, I expect they have already told him that they would like to keep him inside. 

Either way, I wouldn't expect them to make a final decision on it until they see who they land in FA and the draft. 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think this McCarthy stuff has to be a joke. I know all the draft guys are saying teams love him, but he’s a skinny little dude who didn’t throw passes in college. I think McCarthy “rising” is more a commentary on Nix and Penix looking meh at the Senior Bowl. 

He has a live arm, is 6'3, has plus mobility, and is known to be particularly good at throwing on the run.

I agree with you - I think he's too raw to be picked with a high end 1st. I personally wouldn't take him in the top 10, but he has the traits that these old school football guys tend to fall in love with - I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him go in the top 10. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He has a live arm, is 6'3, has plus mobility, and is known to be particularly good at throwing on the run.

I agree with you - I think he's too raw to be picked with a high end 1st. I personally wouldn't take him in the top 10, but he has the traits that these old school football guys tend to fall in love with - I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him go in the top 10. 

If zach wilson can go 2nd and trey lance can go 3rd then mccarthy can go 8th to atlanta

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

AVT needs to worry about staying healthy not the position he ends up playing. He already proved he can play guard and tackle. 

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Cecil lammey keeps saying watch harbaugh at 6 in other words he can take JJ and trade Herbert for multiple 1s 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I think it's a totally reasonable possibility. If that's the case though then they'll have Alt, Fashanu, Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, or Bowers sitting there.

• Upvote 1