Are Jets Fans Being Prepped for Free Agency Flop?

Joe Douglas

While Jets fans are fired up about the start of free agency in just a few days, some ominous tweets have been fired off by Jets beat writers that could be preparing fans for a free agency flop.  In a story that couldn’t look more like a line that came directly from the team, Connor Hughes of SNY had this to say about Joe Douglas and free agency:

Don't expect Joe Douglas to deviate from his plan and spend big in free agency (via @Connor_J_Hughes) https://t.co/wCEVbVo5sy pic.twitter.com/xHHOtu7lHN

— SNY (@SNYtv) March 10, 2024

“Douglas, even with his job on the line, will not succumb himself to being one of those desperate teams. He is hellbent in his belief that the right way to build the Jets is the way that he’s building the Jets. He’s not going to stray from that plan — the Ozzie Newsome plan — just because 2024 is do-or-die. He’s going to see this through.”

-Connor Hughes, SNY

Zack Rosenblatt of The Athletic also chimed in right here to cool expectations.

While there is something to be said for having a restrained approach and not overpaying for marquee players, having a seat as hot as the one Douglas is sitting in right now would usually result in trying to make multiple significant upgrades.

The good news for Douglas and the Jets is that while fans are incredibly frustrated by the team’s 13-year playoff drought, the return of Aaron Rodgers could end that drought with just a few key signings.

Should the Jets add two quality starting lineman and a wide receiver in free agency, hitting on another lineman in a historically deep class would fix most of what’s wrong at 1 Jets Drive.  But it’s not that simple.

The Jets are saddled with an offensive line coach who, even in his own locker room, commands little respect and an offensive coordinator whose resume leaves plenty to be desired.

With that being the case, when it comes to his team’s biggest needs, Joe Douglas is essentially going big game hunting armed with a super soaker.

The post Are Jets Fans Being Prepped for Free Agency Flop? appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

Yes.

No-one with options wants to come to the Jets to play for a doomed regime that is circling the drain.

We will get some 3rd tier targets by overpaying, but good players with options will prefer those option to the Jets.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Yes.

No-one with options wants to come to the Jets to play for a doomed regime that is circling the drain.

We will get some 3rd tier targets by overpaying, but good players with options will prefer those option to the Jets.

Hate to say this but I agree completely.  All the crap that came out from former players is going to be huge if JD doesn't pay top dollar.

• Upvote 2

The way FA is already looking (before legal tampering has even started), I think the Jets will be lucky to land guys like Tyler Boyd.

Now, I like Tyler Boyd and think he has been a good player for the Bengals, but I'd be dishonest if I claimed he's the type of upgrade that I think the Jets were hoping for this offseason.

We've gone from hoping for guys like Mike Evans or Tee Higgins, through hoping for guys like Calvin Ridley or Kendrick Bourne, to crossing our fingers that we can land Tyler Boyd - a soon to be 30 year old receiver who has primarily played as the #3 WR on the Bengals from the slot.

And it's not a gimme that we actually land him, either.  The WR market is much thinner with the early re-signings, so there will be legit competition for the guys like Boyd who are left.

If we do get him, I'll be quite pleased as he's a solid player, but it would be considerably short of the type of upgrade we were all hoping for from FA.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

The way FA is already looking (before legal tampering has even started), I think the Jets will be lucky to land guys like Tyler Boyd.

Now, I like Tyler Boyd and think he has been a good player for the Bengals, but I'd be dishonest if I claimed he's the type of upgrade that I think the Jets were hoping for this offseason.

We've gone from hoping for guys like Mike Evans or Tee Higgins, through hoping for guys like Calvin Ridley or Kendrick Bourne, to crossing our fingers that we can land Tyler Boyd - a soon to be 30 year old receiver who has primarily played as the #3 WR on the Bengals from the slot.

And it's not a gimme that we actually land him, either.  The WR market is much thinner with the early re-signings, so there will be legit competition for the guys like Boyd who are left.

If we do get him, I'll be quite pleased as he's a solid player, but it would be considerably short of the type of upgrade we were all hoping for from FA.

I hear what you are saying and I feel your pain. But, truth be told, this WR class is extremely deep and we could get guys in the 3/4th rd that are better than Boyd.

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

I hear what you are saying and I feel your pain. But, truth be told, this WR class is extremely deep and we could get guys in the 3/4th rd that are better than Boyd.

True, there are a lot of nice WR prospects in this draft and we should be able to land at least one of them.

I do think FA will be a disappointment, though, so we're kind of pinning our hopes on JD being able to replicate the Sauce/Garrett/JJ/Breece draft, but without the same amount of draft ammo in terms of high picks.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

True, there are a lot of nice WR prospects in this draft and we should be able to land at least one of them.

I do think FA will be a disappointment, though, so we're kind of pinning our hopes on JD being able to replicate the Sauce/Garrett/JJ/Breece draft, but without the same amount of draft ammo in terms of high picks.

Agreed. In a weird way, this offseason is setting up like a job interview all over again for JD. How he performs will either get him a nice extension here , a 2 nd chance somewhere else in the league  or maybe time to go the Mr. T route and spew nonsense on TV and radio every day. 😎

• Upvote 1

Already a blunder I see the Rogers train starting sign and overpay for bakhtiari and possibly Arron Jones and Valdez scantling I see all Packers being signed this clearly Rogers calling the shots. We will see but bakhtiari is defiantly coming probably already on the phone with JD and Rogers