Troy Fautanu - OT

So I hadnt paid much attention to Troy Fautanu as I kept reading that he was better guard prospect then OT but really wanted to look into the OT prospects and started reading up on this kid.  Why exactly are people projecting him to guard?

First off he is a 2 year starter at LT who can run and pass block and plays with a mean streak.  He didnt start out at RT and move to LT - hes been a LT for 2 straight years after playing a bit at guard.  So I figured it was his measurables at the senior bowl/combine that led people to project him to guard.   His combine measurables at 6'4 317 with 34.5 inch arms- for comparison Joe Alt is 6'8 with 34.25 inch arms, so why exactly would Fautanu project to guard?

For additional context, AVT did play LT in college and he measured at 32 .125 inch arms which would make sense projecting him to guard.  

I just dont see why Fuaga is considered a better prospect as a OT who played exclusively at RT when we could trade back and potentially add someone who is a legit LT in Fautanu.

• Upvote 1

Fautanu would be an excellent draft pick. 
His player comp is AVT. 

Trading down to get him would likely net us a pick in that range of WRs that could step into a slot role, which is something we need more than a logjam at X.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, BCJet said:

So I hadnt paid much attention to Troy Fautanu as I kept reading that he was better guard prospect then OT but really wanted to look into the OT prospects and started reading up on this kid.  Why exactly are people projecting him to guard?

First off he is a 2 year starter at LT who can run and pass block and plays with a mean streak.  He didnt start out at RT and move to LT - hes been a LT for 2 straight years after playing a bit at guard.  So I figured it was his measurables at the senior bowl/combine that led people to project him to guard.   His combine measurables at 6'4 317 with 34.5 inch arms- for comparison Joe Alt is 6'8 with 34.25 inch arms, so why exactly would Fautanu project to guard?

For additional context, AVT did play LT in college and he measured at 32 .125 inch arms which would make sense projecting him to guard.  

I just dont see why Fuaga is considered a better prospect as a OT who played exclusively at RT when we could trade back and potentially add someone who is a legit LT in Fautanu.

“so why exactly would Fautanu project to guard?”

I believe that was before the combine and his arm measurement. Since most “experts” now say he can play OT. 

With his versatility, hopefully the Jets have him high on their board. 

• Upvote 1

This is the guy I want us to absolutely draft if we trade back and maybe even if we stay at 10. While he is that T/G hybrid he is MORE tackle than guard, while someone like AVT is more guard than tackle.

He's not a nasty angry streak in his play and I think would be a great pick.

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2024 at 11:34 PM, BCJet said:

This is my favorite guy in the draft. I do those mock things and I always trade down to take Fautanu and get Brandon Fiske in the third. Unfortunately, I don’t think either guy will be available that late at this point. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is my favorite guy in the draft. I do those mock things and I always trade down to take Fautanu and get Brandon Fiske in the third. Unfortunately, I don’t think either guy will be available that late at this point. 

My fear is that if we trade down to even the mid teens he won't be there.

I would be very happy if we got him at 10, but trading down and still ending up with him would probably be on the same level of success as this free agency has been....sort of unimaginable.

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I would be very happy if we got him at 10, but trading down and still ending up with him would probably be on the same level of success as this free agency has been....sort of unimaginable.

Problem at 10 is if Fuaga is there, you’d probably take him because the ceiling is probably higher, no? 

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Problem at 10 is if Fuaga is there, you’d probably take him because the ceiling is probably higher, no? 

I don’t think so. The ceiling picks are Guyton and Mims. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

He has LT feet and is versatile.  If they go tackle at 10 he’s the guy, and then you really have your OL set.  

• Upvote 1

The only negative with Fautanu is that he's slightly overaged, as he will be a 24 year old rookie.

That's it.  Everything else with him is a positive. Has started on a good team and played at a high level at tackle, plays with a mean streak and can move inside to Guard if needed.

A really valuable and versatile guy who I would love to see become a Jet.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Positional value considered I'm not so sure. LT being a higher priority than RT and it really depends on if the Jets even view Fuaga as more of a tackle than guard. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Positional value considered I'm not so sure. LT being a higher priority than RT and it really depends on if the Jets even view Fuaga as more of a tackle than guard. 

Isn't LT for a lefty the same as RT?  It certainly should be for comparing statistics like those PFF sh*t heads.  I guess Fuaga's arms are over an inch shorter, but when talking mean streak he seems meaner.  FWIW, I think all the Fuaga talk centered on the Senior Bowl.  The Jets invest heavily in that with Savage and with Ulbrich coaching this year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Isn't LT for a lefty the same as RT?  It certainly should be for comparing statistics like those PFF sh*t heads.  I guess Fuaga's arms are over an inch shorter, but when talking mean streak he seems meaner.  FWIW, I think all the Fuaga talk centered on the Senior Bowl.  The Jets invest heavily in that with Savage and with Ulbrich coaching this year.

I like Fuaga but I think the Sewell comparisons are a bit ridiculous. LT and RT are both important but LT is clearly MORE important and harder to find. 

I'm not sure how the Jets have them ranked obviously or what positions they project either at. I'm sure they feel like most that either player can play either guard or tackle and excel at both for their respective sides. I think all things considered equal you go with the LT over a RT. I do not think either is substantially a better prospect enough to warrant taking a RT over a LT here.

• Upvote 1

On 3/21/2024 at 9:59 AM, Adoni Beast said:

I like Fuaga but I think the Sewell comparisons are a bit ridiculous. LT and RT are both important but LT is clearly MORE important and harder to find. 

I'm not sure how the Jets have them ranked obviously or what positions they project either at. I'm sure they feel like most that either player can play either guard or tackle and excel at both for their respective sides. I think all things considered equal you go with the LT over a RT. I do not think either is substantially a better prospect enough to warrant taking a RT over a LT here.

Sewell was a generational prospect.  This is ludicrous it’s like comparing Zach to Trever Lawrence oh wait that actually happened 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I am advocating that we don’t. Fautanu is LT and I think we should skip drafting Fuaga at 10.

If we go OT i think it’s him b/c then they can use him at guard for 2 yrs if they want while Tyron is here if he stays.  

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

If we go OT i think it’s him b/c then they can use him at guard for 2 yrs if they want while Tyron is here if he stays.  

I thought this but if Fashanu is there at 10 (which I now think he will be) then Fashanu should and would probably be the pick.

If Fashanu is gone then I think we take Fautana (granted Nabers isn’t there and he won’t be)

10 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I thought this but if Fashanu is there at 10 (which I now think he will be) then Fashanu should and would probably be the pick.

If Fashanu is gone then I think we take Fautana (granted Nabers isn’t there and he won’t be)

Fashanu should be the pick, but b/c the jets are in this pseudo win now mode, if they took him and Tyron smith plays most games at LT, they may not even play the guy.  If they start throwing a pure LT at g or Rt when injuries hit they’re not developing him properly.  

In an odd way they’ve kinda boxed themselves in regarding what they do at 10.  If they stay at 10 it has to be a starter, even if it’s Fautana at guard initially.   It’s another reason why i favor a trade back if possible.  If they can get an OL and wr for the 10 pick that’s great.  Then, they could take a tackle in round 1 and not play him right away, but also get a wr and he is used immediately.  

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Fashanu should be the pick, but b/c the jets are in this pseudo win now mode, if they took him and Tyron smith plays most games at LT, they may not even play the guy.  If they start throwing a pure LT at g or Rt when injuries hit they’re not developing him properly.  

In an odd way they’ve kinda boxed themselves in regarding what they do at 10.  If they stay at 10 it has to be a starter, even if it’s Fautana at guard initially.   It’s another reason why i favor a trade back if possible.  If they can get an OL and wr for the 10 pick that’s great.  Then, they could take a tackle in round 1 and not play him right away, but also get a wr and he is used immediately.  

I don't think it's below Joe Douglas to carbonate a 1st round pick. Look at WMDIV + you add the fact that Tyron Smith has not started more than 13 games since 2015 you would expect to get about 4 or 5 starts out of Fashanu.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don't think it's below Joe Douglas to carbonate a 1st round pick. Look at WMDIV + you add the fact that Tyron Smith has not started more than 13 games since 2015 you would expect to get about 4 or 5 starts out of Fashanu.

I think after the mcdonald situation last year he can’t do it again.