Tanny Makes Jets Draft Pick In His New Mock

29 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I'd be fine with any of the following:

Alt, Bowers, Nabers, Odunze, MHJ, Fuaga, Fashanu

Picks that would cause me to have a total melt down even if they are trade-down picks later in the first round. 

JC Latham. Brian Thomas Jr.

I like that list but would prefer Fautanu (Wash OT) over Fuaga. Fuaga seems to be projected as a RT (or G) only. I think Fautanu has the athletic ability to continue as a LT.

It all depends on who is available and who is best on our board. My gut tells me though Latham in the end winds up first or second offensive lineman taken and I think we would take him over the others and maybe just below Alt.

My gut tells me that the Jets are not going OL in the first. It is a very risky pick now with the changes in college football. 

To me a QB and OL at 10 are sort of similar in that neither would be expected to or is likely to play much in 2024.  We could be in position to get at 10 or with a smaller trade up a QB we think is elite and then sit him behind Rodgers for a year or 2. Even for a lame duck GM it is not a bad move. In fact picking a QB could be a way for JD to save his job and pick a second HC.

Plus Woody will want a "face" in the wings. Don't discount Love looking good this year. Choosing QB allows the Jets to develop a QB that way. I could even see Woody forcing QB because of this. If I had to rate the likelihood of things right now it might be this:

1. Small trade up for QB if the one they really want is there

2. Trade up for one of the receivers and maybe as high as 4 if they love MHJ that much

3. Pick WR/QB at 10

4. Trade down

5. Pick defense at 10

6. Draft OL

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

I like that list but would prefer Fautanu (Wash OT) over Fuaga. Fuaga seems to be projected as a RT (or G) only. I think Fautanu has the athletic ability to continue as a LT.

Agree... Fautanu would be the better "swing" tackle.  Fuaga looks like an elite player, but RT only.  What to do ??? The FA additions have really opened things up.  The Jets can go in a multitude of directions.  

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, jetsons said:

image.png.50bb1ef410e0675efca39d2161a0b3ac.pngimage.thumb.png.fc7b71bf373f2b1dd9dd82e54cb8b5a5.pngBoth Marvin Powell & D'Brickashaw Ferguson were more widely known for their ability to play their position with finesse rather than mauling others. I see Fashanu in the same light. 

Marvin Powell deserves a statue in the HOF

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

image.png.50bb1ef410e0675efca39d2161a0b3ac.pngimage.thumb.png.fc7b71bf373f2b1dd9dd82e54cb8b5a5.pngBoth Marvin Powell & D'Brickashaw Ferguson were more widely known for their ability to play their position with finesse rather than mauling others. I see Fashanu in the same light. 

I remember Marvin Power.  Nice comparison to Brick.  Both were technical players. Powell was a better run blocker though with Brick being a better pass blocker.  Powell A- to B + pass blocker.  A- run blocker.  Brick A+ pass blocker and C - Run blocker.  Nick Mangold was also a very technical blocker vs. being a mauler.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Our starting OTs are 31 and 33 on one year contracts.  Just saying.

I get it but I can’t recall any ot in modern draft picked in top 10 that wasn’t picked to be the starter.  You just don’t do that for a backup OT even if they start the following year.

5 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I remember Marvin Power.  Nice comparison to Brick.  Both were technical players. Powell was a better run blocker though with Brick being a better pass blocker.  Powell A- to B + pass blocker.  A- run blocker.  Brick A+ pass blocker and C - Run blocker.  Nick Mangold was also a very technical blocker vs. being a mauler.  

Mangold was also known for having very strong hands, (Klecko like), once they were on you ... you were done.

3 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

I get it but I can’t recall any ot in modern draft picked in top 10 that wasn’t picked to be the starter.  You just don’t do that for a backup OT even if they start the following year.

With the  injury history of your starting LT, you have to expect to need a second starting OT.  Chances are that Smith is going to miss a few games.  I HOPE just a few.  

While I would REALLY like to have Bowers or a tip WR in the draft, the smart play would be OT at 10 and WR in the third round.  Or, give something up in the 2025 draft to garner a 2nd round pick this year.  The draft is so deep at WR and OT, you can get both this year if they work a deal to get back into the 2nd round this year.  

1 hour ago, MysticalJet2 said:

No way we pick OT at 10.

We took at DE at 15 last year, why not an OT at 10 this year?

Protecting Rodgers is a pretty high priority task. If he stays healthy we're likely a playoff team. Tyron is only a 1 year deal and he has been injured a lot.

Tackle is still pretty likely at #10 imo.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Mangold was also known for having very strong hands, (Klecko like), once they were on you ... you were done.

I remember Wilfork saying how "miserable" it was to play against Mangold.  

The Jets sure have had a nice string of elite centers. Schmitt, Fields. Sweeny. Mawae, Mangold... 

Will Tipp join the list ???

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

With the  injury history of your starting LT, you have to expect to need a second starting OT.  Chances are that Smith is going to miss a few games.  I HOPE just a few.  

While I would REALLY like to have Bowers or a tip WR in the draft, the smart play would be OT at 10 and WR in the third round.  Or, give something up in the 2025 draft to garner a 2nd round pick this year.  The draft is so deep at WR and OT, you can get both this year if they work a deal to get back into the 2nd round this year.  

I’m not saying they don’t draft an OT.. just not at 10.  They go top WR or Bowers.  If not they trade back imo and get OT later maybe they get a 2nd with the trade back.  It will be a weapon at 10.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We took at DE at 15 last year, why not an OT at 10 this year?

Protecting Rodgers is a pretty high priority task. If he stays healthy we're likely a playoff team. Tyron is only a 1 year deal and he has been injured a lot.

Tackle is still pretty likely at #10 imo.

DE  and OT are very different in terms of value to be a starter.  Especially with the defense we play rotating.  OT that high needs to be a starter day 1.

Trade back and take oline has been the wet dream of this fanbase forever. 

We saw the draft room video last year JD suspected the Steelers would come up for Jones, Jets could use a LT, didn’t do anything about it. 

He asked Jon who his top 3 were and took the first guy even though they could have used a TE , the second prospect of the three, more than the DE he took. 

He’s a stick and pick BPA guy. 

anything can happen of course and an OT could be the BPA but in that range it would not surprise me if Bowers and Verse are in play. 

The Jets scouts thought Mayer was the 16th best prospect last year I think they may have Bowers higher. Maybe. 

Add to that the win now strategy and I think draft day should be pretty amusing around here lol 

Just now, MysticalJet2 said:

I’m not saying they don’t draft an OT.. just not at 10.  They go top WR or Bowers.  If not they trade back imo and get OT later maybe they get a 2nd with the trade back.  It will be a weapon at 10.

I see two good OT's that will be there in round three.  ND Blake Fisher.  He may take a bit of time to develop but he could be a steal in the 3rd round.  He also seems to be well built for a man blocking line with less motion. The type of scheme that Rodgers likes.  Since the Jets already have a starting OT on both sides, they may have the time to develop a prospect like BF for the pro game. 

https://www.bigblueview.com/2024/3/3/24089198/2024-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-blake-fisher-ot-notre-dame-scouting-report-ny-giants#:~:text=It isn't exactly uncommon,their right tackle%2C Blake Fisher.

Another I like is Matt Goncalves

https://www.bigblueview.com/2024/3/3/24089198/2024-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-blake-fisher-ot-notre-dame-scouting-report-ny-giants#:~:text=It isn't exactly uncommon,their right tackle%2C Blake Fisher.

I'd expect him to be available in the 3rd round.  I also see him as very versatile. Probably not ideal on the left side, but at least quick enough to play RT and stout enough to play RG or LG.  Again... With some development, he could be a starting quality OL player.  

Just some ideas if the take a pass catcher WR/OT in the 1st at 10

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

according to who?

Well according to me 😁.  DE on our team is part time.  OT is every down.  Last year was a huge mistake and panic pick imo at 15.  JMO but my jaw would hit the floor with OT at 10.

23 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

We could sign Bakhtiari for cheap depth

16 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Bowers is going to love that idiotic new hip drop tackle rule that just got passed 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

We could sign Bakhtiari for cheap depth

Agree 100 %.  He would be a nice depth piece.  It would make Rodgers happy too, I would gather.  It will of course be predicated on the deal being 1 year and lean on the dollars.  He'd also have to be ready for game 1 or no deal. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, THE BARON said:

Agree 100 %.  He would be a nice depth piece.  It would make Rodgers happy too, I would gather.  It will of course be predicated on the deal being 1 year and lean on the dollars.  He'd also have to be ready for game 1 or no deal. 

Yeah I’m ok with Bakhtiari as a backup. I was terrified Aaron was going to sign him to be the starter but then Tyron Smith saved us from that crapshow 

• Haha 1