Tanny Makes Jets Draft Pick In His New Mock

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/2024-nfl-mock-draft-tannenbaum-makes-gm-picks-for-round-1/ar-BB1ky6nT?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=48898f53af2947018066125d3c15d53a&ei=10

Tanny still believes Jets will take an OT.  In this case, Fashanu.  Not sure about that vs. taking an offensive play-maker like Bowers or Odunze, but I also agree with him that Alt will go in the top 5.

11 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/2024-nfl-mock-draft-tannenbaum-makes-gm-picks-for-round-1/ar-BB1ky6nT?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=48898f53af2947018066125d3c15d53a&ei=10

Tanny still believes Jets will take an OT.  In this case, Fashanu.  Not sure about that vs. taking an offensive play-maker like Bowers or Odunze, but I also agree with him that Alt will go in the top 5.

I can't  see Harrison lasting until 9 and Nabers going ahead of him. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

What would you offer them besides the #10 pick?

one of our 4ths and a 2nd or 3rd next year.  not sure the exact value but would be willing to trade any pick besides #1 next year

3 minutes ago, jbt said:

one of our 4ths and a 2nd or 3rd next year.  not sure the exact value but would be willing to trade any pick besides #1 next year

Interesting. I think that's a fair deal (4th this year, 3rd next year).

It is bizarre that no matter who the GM is, using first rounders to replace the busted draft pick they just took is like the one thing the Jets are consistent at more than anyone else. The only difference between Douglas and his predecessors is that he does it with OL instead of DL or safeties.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

It was very interesting that he had Arizona trading Murray to Minnesota. Make it happen Tanny!!!

That would be a trip.

Might make Gannon look like a fraud in the locker room though, since he's been singing Kyler Murray's praises ever since he got the job.

I am not confident that Fashanu is a real hard-nosed guy who likes to hit people and play football, as opposed to a big kid with long arms who knows he can make money playing football.  

This is where JD will make his money.  He has missed on this concept before.  In his great draft, he basically hit on it (I think JJII is a little bit opportunistic, but for his position and effort, he is making it work-I don’t know what contract 2 looks like for him-could be 5 year option and done).

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

odunze goes before 10 in like every mock out there.  The recent ones. He's always gone. Be prepared for an alternative. Sadly.

• Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, varjet said:

I am not confident that Fashanu is a real hard-nosed guy who likes to hit people and play football, as opposed to a big kid with long arms who knows he can make money playing football.  

This is where JD will make his money.  He has missed on this concept before.  In his great draft, he basically hit on it (I think JJII is a little bit opportunistic, but for his position and effort, he is making it work-I don’t know what contract 2 looks like for him-could be 5 year option and done).

image.png.50bb1ef410e0675efca39d2161a0b3ac.pngimage.thumb.png.fc7b71bf373f2b1dd9dd82e54cb8b5a5.pngBoth Marvin Powell & D'Brickashaw Ferguson were more widely known for their ability to play their position with finesse rather than mauling others. I see Fashanu in the same light. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Dcat said:

odunze goes before 10 in like every mock out there.  The recent ones. He's always gone. Be prepared for an alternative. Sadly.

I'd be fine with any of the following:

Alt, Bowers, Nabers, Odunze, MHJ, Fuaga, Fashanu

Picks that would cause me to have a total melt down even if they are trade-down picks later in the first round. 

JC Latham. Brian Thomas Jr.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, varjet said:

Not a mauler but I don't know if that represents his love for the game or not.

I know he was a Captain at Penn State and stayed an extra year at school even though he could've been a top 15 pick last year (wouldn't have gotten by the Jets that's for sure)

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I'd be fine with any of the following:

Alt, Bowers, Nabers, Odunze, MHJ, Fuaga, Fashanu

Picks that would cause me to have a total melt down even if they are trade-down picks later in the first round. 

Latham is really high on some boards.  good read below

.C. Latham, Alabama RT

6'6, 342lb Junior
Arms: 35 1/8"
Hand: 11"

Played in:
- 14 games as a backup OT during true Freshman season. Limited playing time
- 13 games as the starting RT during true Sophomore season
- 13 games as a starting RT during Jr. season

Pros:
• Plays with good pad level
• Maintains great pad level throughout run blocks and can really move defenders
• Damn (run plays against Texas, just demolished people)
• Excellent core strength. Can really twist DL out of the hole and away from the play
• Very good mover going to the 2nd level
• Very active feet, works to keep his center in front of rushers on passing plays
• Consistently good hand placement
• Is excellent at coming off of his man and redirecting to a delayed blitzer
• Terrific hand fighter
• Excellent footwork for zone scheme. Alabama an mostly from the gun and Latham executed run concepts consistently well.
• Completely stymies counter moves in pass pro
• This is so stupid: on a play during the LSU game, he picked up the edge rusher and noticed there was a CB blitzing outside of the rusher……Latham saw this and quickly pushed the rusher along his rush arc to get in the blitzers way, essentially blocking 2 people at once by using the edge rusher as a human wall to block off the CB
• Really solid puller
• Blitz and stunt recognition is absurdly good. He immediately redirects once he knows what the defense is doing. Clearly he's a film studier

Cons:
• Will open his hips in pass pro after completing first 2 kicks of slide
• At times won't "set the edge" on passing plays. This means that while he maintains appropriate position and technique, if he doesn't go out and meet the defender at a specific spot, and the defender can still win the rep by getting to the QB through the Latham. He needs to get to his position and engage the defender. He can't always receive the defender (this cost a sack against Michigan in the Rose bowl)
• Can be fooled by some blitzes and will block nobody out of confusion (Michigan)
• Concern arises surrounding conditioning. He was fairly tired toward the end of games
• Needs to do a little better in looking for work when he's uncovered/unengaged by a rusher

Run Blocking | 94
1. Latham can absolutely annihilate people off of the line. He has active hands, strong twitchy feet that keep driving, and really good hip drive, not to mention a violent mentality to finish people
2. I rarely saw him have bad pad level. He always was as low or lower than the defender in front of him. That is huge! It allows him to not only flourish, but to dominate and stand out
3. He has excellent play concept recognition and knows where to be and how to get there quickly and eliminate his defender. Has great feet for zone concepts and the power to excel in power run scheme
4. I can't say much more regarding his run blocking. He's got it all

Pass Blocking | 92
1. Has terrific "phone booth" athleticism that allows him to almost always be in position using proper form
2. His hands are amazing to me. He is an amazing hand fighter and when he inevitably wins the hand contest he latches on and dominates the rep and neutralizes his defender
3. Shows good movement in space on screens and on QB scrambles and will try to demolish 2nd level defenders
4. Sometimes will fail to "set the edge" and can pass protect his way into the QB
5. Core, hands, strength, length, feet are all there. Allows Latham to really shine and dominate.

Overall | 93, Top 10 prospect
• For what it's worth, he looked phenomenal in his drill work at the combine
• Is he the best OT prospect in this draft?………………….(sigh) he might be. His tape is outstanding. I hate to admit it, he's terrific. I would have to look at some other guys (Alt, Fashanu, etc….) but Latham is so far the best one I've officially evaluated
• He's twitchy and active and violent in the run game (something Mims is missing) and he regularly displays his strength by moving people out of the hole and twisting them out of the play like rag dolls. He also shows the grace and athleticism to move well in pass pro and he uses good technique which puts him in position to win many battles. Finally, his best asset is his hand usage. He's probably the best hand fighter in the class and he has consistently phenomenal hand placement that allows him to leverage defenders and regularly neutralize them
• I can't help but feel like I'm watching a seasoned NFL veteran when I'm watching Latham. He's so dominant and it looks so easy, it's not even funny. Even from a mental/cerebral standpoint he's so advanced. He's clearly NFL ready and I think he'll be an All-Pro at some point.
• Outside of some concerns around conditioning I have nothing really negative to say. Everything else is like micro-nitpicking. Not even regular nitpicking.

Just now, Dcat said:

Latham is really high on some boards.  good read below

.C. Latham, Alabama RT

6'6, 342lb Junior
Arms: 35 1/8"
Hand: 11"

Played in:
- 14 games as a backup OT during true Freshman season. Limited playing time
- 13 games as the starting RT during true Sophomore season
- 13 games as a starting RT during Jr. season

Pros:
• Plays with good pad level
• Maintains great pad level throughout run blocks and can really move defenders
• Damn (run plays against Texas, just demolished people)
• Excellent core strength. Can really twist DL out of the hole and away from the play
• Very good mover going to the 2nd level
• Very active feet, works to keep his center in front of rushers on passing plays
• Consistently good hand placement
• Is excellent at coming off of his man and redirecting to a delayed blitzer
• Terrific hand fighter
• Excellent footwork for zone scheme. Alabama an mostly from the gun and Latham executed run concepts consistently well.
• Completely stymies counter moves in pass pro
• This is so stupid: on a play during the LSU game, he picked up the edge rusher and noticed there was a CB blitzing outside of the rusher……Latham saw this and quickly pushed the rusher along his rush arc to get in the blitzers way, essentially blocking 2 people at once by using the edge rusher as a human wall to block off the CB
• Really solid puller
• Blitz and stunt recognition is absurdly good. He immediately redirects once he knows what the defense is doing. Clearly he's a film studier

Cons:
• Will open his hips in pass pro after completing first 2 kicks of slide
• At times won't "set the edge" on passing plays. This means that while he maintains appropriate position and technique, if he doesn't go out and meet the defender at a specific spot, and the defender can still win the rep by getting to the QB through the Latham. He needs to get to his position and engage the defender. He can't always receive the defender (this cost a sack against Michigan in the Rose bowl)
• Can be fooled by some blitzes and will block nobody out of confusion (Michigan)
• Concern arises surrounding conditioning. He was fairly tired toward the end of games
• Needs to do a little better in looking for work when he's uncovered/unengaged by a rusher

Run Blocking | 94
1. Latham can absolutely annihilate people off of the line. He has active hands, strong twitchy feet that keep driving, and really good hip drive, not to mention a violent mentality to finish people
2. I rarely saw him have bad pad level. He always was as low or lower than the defender in front of him. That is huge! It allows him to not only flourish, but to dominate and stand out
3. He has excellent play concept recognition and knows where to be and how to get there quickly and eliminate his defender. Has great feet for zone concepts and the power to excel in power run scheme
4. I can't say much more regarding his run blocking. He's got it all

Pass Blocking | 92
1. Has terrific "phone booth" athleticism that allows him to almost always be in position using proper form
2. His hands are amazing to me. He is an amazing hand fighter and when he inevitably wins the hand contest he latches on and dominates the rep and neutralizes his defender
3. Shows good movement in space on screens and on QB scrambles and will try to demolish 2nd level defenders
4. Sometimes will fail to "set the edge" and can pass protect his way into the QB
5. Core, hands, strength, length, feet are all there. Allows Latham to really shine and dominate.

Overall | 93, Top 10 prospect
• For what it's worth, he looked phenomenal in his drill work at the combine
• Is he the best OT prospect in this draft?………………….(sigh) he might be. His tape is outstanding. I hate to admit it, he's terrific. I would have to look at some other guys (Alt, Fashanu, etc….) but Latham is so far the best one I've officially evaluated
• He's twitchy and active and violent in the run game (something Mims is missing) and he regularly displays his strength by moving people out of the hole and twisting them out of the play like rag dolls. He also shows the grace and athleticism to move well in pass pro and he uses good technique which puts him in position to win many battles. Finally, his best asset is his hand usage. He's probably the best hand fighter in the class and he has consistently phenomenal hand placement that allows him to leverage defenders and regularly neutralize them
• I can't help but feel like I'm watching a seasoned NFL veteran when I'm watching Latham. He's so dominant and it looks so easy, it's not even funny. Even from a mental/cerebral standpoint he's so advanced. He's clearly NFL ready and I think he'll be an All-Pro at some point.
• Outside of some concerns around conditioning I have nothing really negative to say. Everything else is like micro-nitpicking. Not even regular nitpicking.

seen some highlights.  to my untrained eye, he looks awkward and often off balance.  watching his feet reminded me too much of vlad ducase.  i could be wrong, but no... please no.  dont draft him

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, jetsons said:

image.png.50bb1ef410e0675efca39d2161a0b3ac.pngimage.thumb.png.fc7b71bf373f2b1dd9dd82e54cb8b5a5.pngBoth Marvin Powell & D'Brickashaw Ferguson were more widely known for their ability to play their position with finesse rather than mauling others. I see Fashanu in the same light. 

Fair point.  Let’s hope so. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I think this draft is made or broken by Brian Thomas Jr.  

Take him mid round and he changes games, the GM is a hero. 

Take him in the first round and he busts, the GM is a failure. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

seen some highlights.  to my untrained eye, he looks awkward and often off balance.  watching his feet reminded me too much of vlad ducase.  i could be wrong, but no... please no.  dont draft him

I follow that writer for several yrs.  I trust his analysis.  Latham getting dinked for that one bad play

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

That'd be my pick.  Wrong or right, I still think beyond 2024.  LT is the 2nd most important position on the field.  They almost never come up in FA unless they're old/injured (Tyron - whom I'm thrilled to have)

overall great mock by Tanny- like the picks outside of usual ones I’m seeing

Yeah we should get Donovan Smith. I know he’s the reason the Chiefs haven’t won the Super Bowl but still.

• Upvote 1