*Rumor* Aiyuk requests trade

It's all still rumor and even if not, it's more likely just negotiating stance (re: Deebo and Bosa) but I would really NOT like to see him end up in the AFC (unless, of course, it's with the Jets).

Thoughts on this so far:

1) I'd HATE to see him on BUF, but I don't think they have the draft capital to pull it off anyway, unless they use this year's #28 and next year's 1st, which would be a lot, although I'm not sure they wouldn't consider it.  The bigger problem for them is cap space.  He will want a monster contract and they just don't have anywhere near enough room right now.  

2) The other suitor being discussed is PIT.  They could start looking like a good team if Wilson turns things around and they land a WR like Aiyuk.  Would turn the AFCN into an absolute blender, which would be kind of fun to watch.

3) NYG certainly have need.  But the cost for them to trade in-conference would high and they also have cap problems.  And they can certainly get a WR with that 6-pick anyway.

4) Just to get this out of the way, I think anyone would gladly trade our #10 for Aiyuk, but I see NO way we could manage it under the cap unless we contorted the deal to backload almost all of the cap.  I don't think that's going to make a lot of sense.  I'd rather trade up and grab one of the top-3 WRs with that 10 pick.

5) The team at the top of the available cap list - NE - certainly needs a WR.  #3 is almost certainly reserved for a QB pick so they would be starting from #34 and would have to throw in a LOT more to get it done, but I could see it being of interest there.  Again, I'd rather not.

I expect it to go nowhere and result in a new deal for Aiyuk in SF, but something to keep an eye on.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jets and Redskins said:

I would watch Arizona if the don't take MHJ. Aiyuk played for Asu and they need a Wr. 

Good one.  They could probably trade down a bit and still use that pick to get him (plus whatever else they can score on the trade).

26 minutes ago, Jets and Redskins said:

I would watch Arizona if the don't take MHJ. Aiyuk played for Asu and they need a Wr. 

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Good one.  They could probably trade down a bit and still use that pick to get him (plus whatever else they can score on the trade).

I'd think SF would rather not move him within the division. 

25 minutes ago, derp said:

I'd think SF would rather not move him within the division. 

I think that would be what would stop that trade. Cards have two first rd picks this year 27 and 4. They have cap room so if not Aiyuk they could go after Higgins or Jefferson if available.

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Aiyuk is on the last year of his deal. Matt O'Leary suggested we could trade 10 for 31 & Aiyuk. I'd be all over that if it were actually an option.

I'm not giving up ten this year. Not when I can get a better wr or te

Not giving up any future firsts either. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Aiyuk is on the last year of his deal. Matt O'Leary suggested we could trade 10 for 31 & Aiyuk. I'd be all over that if it were actually an option.

So we lose 21 spots in the draft and have to pay Aiyuk big money immediately when we know full well we're going to have to pay that great rookie class from 2 years ago soon?  Why not just draft a WR at 1.10 and have him on a rookie contract?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So we lose 21 spots in the draft and have to pay Aiyuk big money immediately when we know full well we're going to have to pay that great rookie class from 2 years soon?  Why not just draft a WR at 1.10 and have him on a rookie contract?

For one we don't know that any of the top 3 will be there at 10. Second, Aiyuk is really good now. A rookie WR might need time to get up to NFL speed and may never be as good as Aiyuk. We're in a short win now window. 

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So we lose 21 spots in the draft and have to pay Aiyuk big money immediately when we know full well we're going to have to pay that great rookie class from 2 years soon?  Why not just draft a WR at 1.10 and have him on a rookie contract?

Bingo. The jets can draft a stud wr or te at ten, get the future ot later and more wr depth. Then after the draft trade for Aiyuk or Adams. 

D. Adams/ Gibson

G. Wilson/ Pearsall*

M. Williams/ Lazard

Bowers*/ Conklin 

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

For one we don't know that any of the top 3 will be there at 10. Second, Aiyuk is really good now. A rookie WR might need time to get up to NFL speed and may never be as good as Aiyuk. We're in a short win now window. 

Thomas jr has a much higher ceiling and ability than Aiyuk. 

But ppl disagree and have different opinions. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We already have Wilson and Williams.  The rookie will have time to adjust.  It's really a top 4 and one of them will be there at ten. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Tyreek freakin Hill garnered less than that. Cmon now. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

We already have Wilson and Williams.  The rookie will have time to adjust.  It's really a top 4 and one of them will be there at ten. 

Williams 29 coming off ACL and hopes to be ready for week 1. Williams looks like he's going to get folded in half every time he's carrying the ball in traffic. 

1 hour ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Thomas jr has a much higher ceiling and ability than Aiyuk. 

But ppl disagree and have different opinions. 

Aiyuk is an elite route runner who has proven himself in the league.

BT is a 1y wonder at LSU who ran gos and hitches.

The Bills spending their 1st rounder on BT would be a win for the Jets and rest of division.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Barton said:

Tyreek freakin Hill garnered less than that. Cmon now. 

The Jets should not be in the market for Aiyuk.

#10 is off limits.

He is going to demand a massive extension.

Just move up for MHJ, Nabers or Odunze and get your WR1 at controlled cost for the next 5y.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Can they do both? I think Aiyuk costs them a two-plus, and a trade-up to ~12 costs them a 1.

Yup. It's very feasible and it's why I keep saying that if Douglas passes on one of the top 5 weapons at ten for an offensive lineman then he's clueless. 

It could be a situation where we literally let Buffalo get Thomas jr and that's extremely dumb

21 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Aiyuk is an elite route runner who has proven himself in the league.

BT is a 1y wonder at LSU who ran gos and hitches.

The Bills spending their 1st rounder on BT would be a win for the Jets and rest of division.

No it wouldn't dude. 

Buffalo getting Thomas jr and adding Aiyuk is an absolute nightmare. ( I'm hoping they don't trade up or they just get one guy, not both)

We need to hope and possibly position ourselves to block Buffalo from getting one of the top 4 wrs. 

If we get Bowers, that will also get Thomas jr picked sooner so buffalo can't get him. Or at least reduce the chance buffalo gets him...

I would take Thomas jr over not just Aiyuk but many wrs starting in the NFL right now. 

• WTF? 1

20 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

No it wouldn't dude. 

Buffalo getting Thomas jr and adding Aiyuk is an absolute nightmare. ( I'm hoping they don't trade up or they just get one guy, not both)

We need to hope and possibly position ourselves to block Buffalo from getting one of the top 4 wrs. 

If we get Bowers, that will also get Thomas jr picked sooner so buffalo can't get him. Or at least reduce the chance buffalo gets him...

I would take Thomas jr over not just Aiyuk but many wrs starting in the NFL right now. 

I wouldn’t want them to get Aiyuk.

Aiyuk is good.

You are responding to something I never said.

I don’t care if they get BT.  I think he has a WR2 ceiling, and that’s if he develops properly.  I have little fear of him beating Sauce or DJR or anyone else as a rookie.

Aiyuk is a proven, known commodity.

• Upvote 2