Tony Pauline (from JA board) on Malik Nabers Character Concerns: Merged

1 hour ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I couldn't disagree more. BTJ has bust written all over him. LSU produced incredibly polished prospects like Justin Jefferson, Jamarr Chase and Nabers, yet this guy is "developmental" and people think the Jets will be able to develop him?

He isn't even significantly faster (if at all) than Nabers, and barely so over Odunze. BTJ benefitted massively from a Heisman QB that was a threat to run at any time (giving him 1 on 1 matchups) and throws a fantastic deep ball. He is a body-catcher who needs to develop his hands and doesn't play to his size with catch radius or high pointing. BTJ profiles as a faster Gabe Davis to me. I think it's crazy to call him better than Odunze or Nabers, nevermind Patrick Paul lol. I think there's various day 2 and 3 WRs that the Jets should look at, but not him. I'm praying the bills trade up for him, it'd be a phenomenal waste. 

Trading back does have its merits, we can agree there. I'd be upset if we passed on a top 3 WR to do it, but assuming they're absent I'm down with it. We need extra picks bad and I do believe we could find another WR3.

I didnt say BTJ is better than Nabers or Adunze. I said BTJ and Patrick Paul (Combined) are better than just having Nabers or Odunze. Getting BTJ would come in a trade down scenario.

Not considering that we would have to trade up for one of those two guys.

If BTJ is not your favorite second tier WR, pick another guy in that tier.

4 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I didnt say BTJ is better than Nabers or Adunze. I said BTJ and Patrick Paul (Combined) are better than just having Nabers or Odunze. Getting BTJ would come in a trade down scenario.

Not considering that we would have to trade up for one of those two guys.

If BTJ is not your favorite second tier WR, pick another guy in that tier.

Okay, fair enough. I hope you can forgive me for interpreting that incorrectly, to me it seemed like you were saying either of those players was better than odunze/nabers haha. Your point is much more valid now that you cleared that up though, I do like more picks and hope we can find a long term wr2 in tier 2 if needed.

I still don't totally agree, in that I think Nabers or Odunze can have an outsized impact. A round 3 tackle and/or veteran free agents can still made an ok (or even great) swing tackle for us, but that tier 1 of WRs is way above tier 2 for me. But I wouldn't be mad if things played out as you said (except without BTJ).

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2024 at 8:25 AM, slats said:

I think this is the direction of the WR position in the NFL, much in the same way that the RB position has been devalued over the years because of the influx of young, cheap talent every year. With all of college football basically playing run & shoot all over the field, every year there’s another solid to amazing class of WRs coming out, with great players often available throughout the first round, and then usually deep after that. 

The same thing that is killing young QB’s is creating amazing young WR’s, 7v7 elite camps.

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Unless they think he's Tyreek Hill off the field then I think it's worth it to roll the dice and draft him.  Then again, if he falls to us at 10, it must be because other teams have concerns about his character.  Hmm....

The Jets had zero issue with Hill’s off the field issues, if Nabers are the same JD will probably draft him if he is there at 10 (I doubt he will be)

I too prefer Odunze over Nabers because of the character concerns but also think Nabers is going to be the more explosive player.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

Honestly if half this nabers stuff is true there's a risk of him being rashee rice lambo street racer or worse 

The ghost of Aaron hernandez, Henry ruggs, etc also play a part in his scouting report 

Aaron Hernandez was a murderer and Ruggs was convicted of manslaughter let’s take it easy

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The Jets had zero issue with Hill’s off the field issues, if Nabers are the same JD will probably draft him if he is there at 10 (I doubt he will be)

I too prefer Odunze over Nabers because of the character concerns but also think Nabers is going to be the more explosive player.

Agreed on everything.

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Honestly I'd be shocked if Nabers didn't go in the top 6 -- I think for the Jets to get one of the top three receivers they're going to have to move up.

Top 6 feels like it's going to be four QBs, MHJ and Nabers.

We should draft MHJ and sign his dad to play slot

14 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Aaron Hernandez was a murderer and Ruggs was convicted of manslaughter let’s take it easy

It's a risk is all I'm saying 

Especially compared to Marvin Harrison Jr who probably pays his taxes in late January 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's a risk is all I'm saying 

Especially compared to Marvin Harrison Jr who probably pays his taxes in late January 

I can't remember you ever making a joke on here but if this is your sense of humor, you definitely should do it more often.

• Haha 1

On 4/21/2024 at 5:58 PM, hmhertz said:

Brief chat w Tony last night. Confirmed the "diva issues" about Nabers.

1. Busted w a gun during Mardi Gras. Plead down, promised ot never carry a handgun again and charges were dropped.

Anyone that breaks firearms laws is irresponsible in the sublime.  Bad news for sure.  However, if he legally carries in other states, he may have just been careless understanding/following which states have reciprocity with others.  If that was the case, it is not quite as bad as it looks. 

2. Punched a teammate in the jaw.

I'd have to see the film and hear the whole story to form an opinion about this one.

3. Refused to get up at 9am during combine and "was a real bitch" the entire time there.

Who cares

4. Refused to do certain things bec "MH Jr didnt have to do them so why do I?"

Who cares
5. May have assaulted a girl on campus that was covered up.

If this is true, he goes directly on the DO NOT DRAFT list even if he is the most talented player in the draft.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can't remember you ever making a joke on here but if this is your sense of humor, you definitely should do it more often.

I make jokes but like 90 percent of them are at Zach Wilson's expense 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, slats said:

There seem to be two competing narratives on Nabers as we get closer, and that’s that he’s quite possibly the best WR prospect in this years class and also that he’s potentially a head case. If I wanted Nabers to drop to me, I’d be pushing that head case angle pretty hard. 

So if he falls to 10 and we draft him perhaps it would be best to get a sports psychiatrist who is a Jets fan to announce it on draft day.  "With the 10th pick in the 2024 NFL Draft The New York Jets select, (my future patient 😀 ) Egomaniac/Personality Defiant Disorder/ and Narcissist.....Maaaaaaaalik Nabers!  Lets Go Jets!"

'

52 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

On 4/21/2024 at 5:58 PM, hmhertz said:

Brief chat w Tony last night. Confirmed the "diva issues" about Nabers.

1. Busted w a gun during Mardi Gras. Plead down, promised ot never carry a handgun again and charges were dropped.

Anyone that breaks firearms laws is irresponsible in the sublime.  Bad news for sure.  However, if he legally carries in other states, he may have just been careless understanding/following which states have reciprocity with others.  If that was the case, it is not quite as bad as it looks. 

2. Punched a teammate in the jaw.

I'd have to see the film and hear the whole story to form an opinion about this one.

3. Refused to get up at 9am during combine and "was a real bitch" the entire time there.

Who cares

4. Refused to do certain things bec "MH Jr didnt have to do them so why do I?"

Who cares
5. May have assaulted a girl on campus that was covered up.

If this is true, he goes directly on the DO NOT DRAFT list even if he is the most talented player in the draft.

dnp.png

• Upvote 1