Tony Pauline (from JA board) on Malik Nabers Character Concerns: Merged

10 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

I was just pondering that after posting that he's basically Garrett Wilson with 10 lb's of muscle. We could have a nice problem to have, though probably not until next season, with the big question of who is our #1 receiver.

It's only a problem, as it was with E. Moore, if one feels slighted by how he's being, or not being used. And these new questions of Nabers maybe being a diva are worth considering.  That to me is our only potential problem picking him that would cause them to pass in a trade down for the next level #2 type receiver that this draft has an abundance of. 

I imagine Rodgers wouldn't take to kindly to rookie Nabers complaining to him he needs to get the ball more.

8 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Knowing we won't get MHJ, I've firmly been on the Odunze or trade back bandwagon for months. Nabers never qualified for a top 10 pick for me due to his attitude.

Trading back and getting a guy like Brian Thomas Jr who is just scratching the surface of his potential and could really develop into a monster WR and then adding a 2nd rounder and drafting a guy like Patrick Paul could really be the best long-term option.

Trading up for MJH or Nabers would obviously have the most impact Day 1 but I just don't know how realistic either are. It's always dicey with trading up or down in the draft.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The MHJ and GW fit would be natural since they are friends?

Might be hard to keep both long-term, but that’s a “good problem” to have and one for the future if they are somehow able to get MHJ without giving up too much.

That did also cross my mind... good call!

I feel we're going one of the 2  WR's , MHJ or Odunze in a trade up, Nabers at 10?,  or we do a trade down and then get a OT , #2 WR with our first 2 picks...

Bowers will most likely flourish somewhere else but he's off the table at #10 IMO

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Trading back and getting a guy like Brian Thomas Jr who is just scratching the surface of his potential and could really develop into a monster WR and then adding a 2nd rounder and drafting a guy like Patrick Paul could really be the best long-term option.

Trading up for MJH or Nabers would obviously have the most impact Day 1 but I just don't know how realistic either are. It's always dicey with trading up or down in the draft.

I agree, but when the jets are on the clock and fuaga is there to be had and bowers is sitting there and teams like LV and Indy are calling asking for the 10 pick i wonder if jd has the chops to move back and wait for his guy.

On 4/21/2024 at 9:07 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Draft him, feed him 90+ balls a year, then trade him for a couple high picks to draft his replacement.

ALL receivers are crazy.  Some just hide it better.  Draft one in the first round every 2-3 years and move them out before paying them 30 million a year.

Keep the assembly line going. 

Most do. Correct.  I like GW though. Doesnt seem like a head case and badly wants to win.  Nabers has OBJ diva written all over him.  Not exactly a case point in humility in that interview.  That really turns me off and eventually causes personality clashes on the team.  See how the Bills sent Diggs off into the sunset.  I could see this guy being a Minnie Me Diggs. PASS.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Most do. Correct.  I like GW though. Doesnt seem like a head case and badly wants to win.  Nabers has OBJ diva written all over him.  Not exactly a case point in humility in that interview.  That really turns me off and eventually causes personality clashes on the team.  See how the Bills sent Diggs off into the sunset.  I could see this guy being a Minnie Me Diggs. PASS.

If there’s some off field thuggery, that’s one thing. If the problem is that he’s an egotistical diva, I can accept that as long as he backs it up on the field. If the diva-hood gets too bad, he’s a player who potentially gets back more in draft capital than you spent (think 2 first rounders for The Prez). That’s a risk I’d be willing to take. 

Have to believe he’d be on some of his best behavior short term especially with Rodgers at QB, but also some respect to Wilson and Breece who are star caliber players in their own right, on a team that once again seems to have deep playoff run hopes. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2024 at 12:12 PM, Augustiniak said:

I agree, but when the jets are on the clock and fuaga is there to be had and bowers is sitting there and teams like LV and Indy are calling asking for the 10 pick i wonder if jd has the chops to move back and wait for his guy.

If anyone calls, unlike last year when he threw a dart at the board and took McDuck, he should pull the trigger and trade back. Lot of elite talent on OL and WR in rounds 1, 2 , 3. Getting a 2 for 1 trade back would lessen the blow of surrending the high picks we lost in the Rodgers trade.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

If there’s some off field thuggery, that’s one thing. If the problem is that he’s an egotistical diva, I can accept that as long as he backs it up on the field. If the diva-hood gets too bad, he’s a player who potentially gets back more in draft capital than you spent (think 2 first rounders for The Prez). That’s a risk I’d be willing to take. 

Have to believe he’d be on some of his best behavior short term especially with Rodgers at QB, but also some respect to Wilson and Breece who are star caliber players in their own right, on a team that once again seems to have deep playoff run hopes. 

I dont see that in him.  Not a bit. I could see him biatching all game long at Rodgers and GW shaking his head like he used to at Zach. The negative outweighs the positive.  If Odunze or Nabers is there at 10, which would be highly improbable, I take Odunze all day. Hopefully, Odunze falls like GW fell a bit in teh draft. JD was smart to scoop him right up. 

3 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I dont see that in him.  Not a bit. I could see him biatching all game long at Rodgers and GW shaking his head like he used to at Zach. The negative outweighs the positive.  If Odunze or Nabers is there at 10, which would be highly improbable, I take Odunze all day. Hopefully, Odunze falls like GW fell a bit in teh draft. JD was smart to scoop him right up. 

Not pretending to have scouted either, but Odunze seems to have the more pleasant attitude and I like his size as the starting X starting in 2025. I think it’s maybe 50-50 one of them falls to #10, though, I don’t imagine getting to choose (unless they trade up). 

Nabers in the slot this year, though, with Wilson, Williams, and Breece, would be a pretty sick offense. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, slats said:

I hear the points you're making and they sound reasonable but I guess it depends on how the team evaluates his character.  I do think JD wants higher character players, especially after what we saw from Eli Moore (and, to some extent, Mecole Hardman, even though he's a lesser player).  

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

Not pretending to have scouted either, but Odunze seems to have the more pleasant attitude and I like his size as the starting X starting in 2025. I think it’s maybe 50-50 one of them falls to #10, though, I don’t imagine getting to choose (unless they trade up). 

Nabers in the slot this year, though, with Wilson, Williams, and Breece, would be a pretty sick offense. 

Right.  If Nabers falls, he'll be a very intriguing option, even though it sounds like he's going to be a real risk.  If we're going to try to compete with teams like KC and Cincy (amongst others), we're going to need some real firepower.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I hear the points you're making and they sound reasonable but I guess it depends on how the team evaluates his character.  I do think JD wants higher character players, especially after what we saw from Eli Moore (and, to some extent, Mecole Hardman, even though he's a lesser player).  

I hear you. I think Moore’s big problem was Zach, and it’s hard to blame him. I think Rodgers neutralizes most of that just by staying upright. But of course, if they see major red flags with his character they have to pass on him. I liked Ruggs a lot coming out with his blazing speed and giant hands, but he’s not helping any NFL team right now. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jimmy 2 Times said:

There’s no risk with Nabers on the first contract.  Draft him, grind him up, and move him for picks in four years. 

Unless Rodgers goes down again. 

Unless they think he's Tyreek Hill off the field then I think it's worth it to roll the dice and draft him.  Then again, if he falls to us at 10, it must be because other teams have concerns about his character.  Hmm....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Unless they think he's Tyreek Hill off the field then I think it's worth it to roll the dice and draft him.  Then again, if he falls to us at 10, it must be because other teams have concerns about his character.  Hmm....

There seem to be two competing narratives on Nabers as we get closer, and that’s that he’s quite possibly the best WR prospect in this years class and also that he’s potentially a head case. If I wanted Nabers to drop to me, I’d be pushing that head case angle pretty hard. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2024 at 12:08 PM, Adoni Beast said:

Trading up for MJH or Nabers would obviously have the most impact Day 1 but I just don't know how realistic either are. It's always dicey

I'd love a world where MHJ could happen for 2 1sts and change, but it's a pipe dream sadly. Pick 6 is about as high as the Jets could go, assuming McCarthy goes at 4/5. MHJ will have gone to the Cards or Chargers by then.

I simply cannot imagine the Jets shelling 3 firsts and more out to go above 6. I know everyone is just speculating so this isn't a criticism, but Daniel Jeremiah was on some clown stuff when he mocked this.

On 4/22/2024 at 2:46 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Its a board of around 7 old guys that bicker like old women and scream about politics constantly. Used to post there... Imagine all of this ENTIRE boards worst posters boiled down to 10 individual people. 

HMHERTZ is "lefty larry" over there. I guess he got tired of GJ&H and pops in here now. There are a few really cool, good old posters over there (MSGold, Ret2ski), but its a tiny clique of bitter old guys now. 

Larry got banned for some silly stuff which is why i stopped posting/reading over there myself

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2024 at 11:08 AM, Adoni Beast said:

Brian Thomas Jr and Patrick Paul > Nabers or Ordunze

Not even considering the lost picks from a trade up.

Even early on, Brian Thomas Jr can have an impact. He will stretch the defense vertically allowing Garrett Wilson to feast from the slot. Then we get a year 1 swing tackle and one of our future OT.

A trade back is the best option.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Brian Thomas Jr and Patrick Paul > Nabers or Ordunze

Not even considering the lost picks from a trade up.

Even early on, Brian Thomas Jr can have an impact. He will stretch the defense vertically allowing Garrett Wilson to feast from the slot. Then we get a year 1 swing tackle and one of our future OT.

A trade back is the best option.

I couldn't disagree more. BTJ has bust written all over him. LSU produced incredibly polished prospects like Justin Jefferson, Jamarr Chase and Nabers, yet this guy is "developmental" and people think the Jets will be able to develop him?

He isn't even significantly faster (if at all) than Nabers, and barely so over Odunze. BTJ benefitted massively from a Heisman QB that was a threat to run at any time (giving him 1 on 1 matchups) and throws a fantastic deep ball. He is a body-catcher who needs to develop his hands and doesn't play to his size with catch radius or high pointing. BTJ profiles as a faster Gabe Davis to me. I think it's crazy to call him better than Odunze or Nabers, nevermind Patrick Paul lol. I think there's various day 2 and 3 WRs that the Jets should look at, but not him. I'm praying the bills trade up for him, it'd be a phenomenal waste. 

Trading back does have its merits, we can agree there. I'd be upset if we passed on a top 3 WR to do it, but assuming they're absent I'm down with it. We need extra picks bad and I do believe we could find another WR3.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I couldn't disagree more. BTJ has bust written all over him. LSU produced incredibly polished prospects like Justin Jefferson, Jamarr Chase and Nabers, yet this guy is "developmental" and people think the Jets will be able to develop him?

He isn't even significantly faster (if at all) than Nabers, and barely so over Odunze. BTJ benefitted massively from a Heisman QB that was a threat to run at any time (giving him 1 on 1 matchups) and throws a fantastic deep ball. He is a body-catcher who needs to develop his hands and doesn't play to his size with catch radius or high pointing. BTJ profiles as a faster Gabe Davis to me. I think it's crazy to call him better than Odunze or Nabers, nevermind Patrick Paul lol. I think there's various day 2 and 3 WRs that the Jets should look at, but not him. I'm praying the bills trade up for him, it'd be a phenomenal waste. 

Trading back does have its merits, we can agree there. I'd be upset if we passed on a top 3 WR to do it, but assuming they're absent I'm down with it. We need extra picks bad and I do believe we could find another WR3.

Brian Thomas is significantly faster than Garret Wilson and GW is significantly faster

than Odunze. I like both LSU guys. Nabors has the better rounded game but

he might bust Rodgers jaw

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I read a Bruce Feldman article on the Athletic this morning where an NFL personnel guy comped Nabers to a hybrid between Tyreek Hill and Deebo Samuel.

I think you'd have to deal with some off field diva issues if that's true.

Drafting Bowers over Nabers is the next great jet debacle

2 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Honestly if half this nabers stuff is true there's a risk of him being rashee rice lambo street racer or worse 

The ghost of Aaron hernandez, Henry ruggs, etc also play a part in his scouting report 

8 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Honestly I'd be shocked if Nabers didn't go in the top 6 -- I think for the Jets to get one of the top three receivers they're going to have to move up.

Top 6 feels like it's going to be four QBs, MHJ and Nabers.

33 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

Brian Thomas is significantly faster than Garret Wilson and GW is significantly faster

Thomas 4.34

Wilson 4.38

Odzune 4.45

I don't think 0.04 is "significantly faster".

0.11?  Eh, maybe.  In real world situations this is still pretty damn close.

14 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

BTJ is what,. 05s faster in the 40yd dash? And GW is another .07 faster than Odunze?

And that's un-padded and in a straight line. GW is probably more agile. Odunze may be slower, but from watching on tape the difference isn't as drastic as mock drafters make it out to be.

There's no doubt BTJ has a tantalizing size and athletic profile. It's everything else I don't like. Every year, teams get enamored by a John Ross, Corey Davis or even Tavon Austin (who I really thought would be a hit). I fear BTJ will be in that category.