Wide Receivers: Alternatives Analysis

They should stay put.  I think the list of WRs with day 2 projections is closer to 25 than it is 15.  Though some may not be on the Jets board, they will certainly be on others.  Missing from the list above are players like Anthony Gould, Jermaine Burton, Jacob Cowing, Anias Smith, Ryan Flournoy, just to name a few that have day 2 projections.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

I would still draft a WR in the 3rd, but Odel and Aaron have made it public they would like to play on the same team.

I’d be shocked if salah didn’t bully JD to use 3rd round pick on D. Going 1st 3 rounds without a D draft pick, JD is going to get some black eye Ps lol

The Wide Receiver group has many quality wideouts. But the best available, but will be gone is Mitchell, Franklin, McConkey, Wilson, Polk and Coleman will be gone in the 2nd round. And probably McMillian and Corley in the early 3rd.  But there will still be a few more really good receivers. Like a Devontez Walker. The kid had the drops at the Senior Bowl. But I watched him all year and he has 1st round talent. And he has a great story behind him with his grandmother and the NCAA.  You also have Brenden Rice, Jerry Rice's son. He has the work ethic as his dad. And has excellent hands. You also have Jermaine Burton from Alabama and Johnny Wilson from two top schools. And two excellent slot receivers...Jacob Cowing of Arizona and Malik Washington of Virginia. You have injury prone but very good Anias Smith from Texas A&M.  And finally there is a great route runner Javon Baker and Luke McCafferty, brother of Christian McCafferty. All should be available when the Jets pick in the 3rd round.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

so on that list we have 13 wideouts

there are 42 spots until we pick. 

so to miss out there would have to be a wr taken every 3 pick or so. Unlikely?

It would be great if we can trade a 4th and the 3rd to just move up even 6 or 7 spots. Hell I would trade next years 3rd as well to move up even more

You also have to consider that 7 teams have already taken WR, the chances that any of those team double up, before the Jets pick, is very remote.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

The Wide Receiver group has many quality wideouts. But the best available, but will be gone is Mitchell, Franklin, McConkey, Wilson, Polk and Coleman will be gone in the 2nd round. And probably McMillian and Corley in the early 3rd.  But there will still be a few more really good receivers. Like a Devontez Walker. The kid had the drops at the Senior Bowl. But I watched him all year and he has 1st round talent. And he has a great story behind him with his grandmother and the NCAA.  You also have Brenden Rice, Jerry Rice's son. He has the work ethic as his dad. And has excellent hands. You also have Jermaine Burton from Alabama and Johnny Wilson from two top schools. And two excellent slot receivers...Jacob Cowing of Arizona and Malik Washington of Virginia. You have injury prone but very good Anias Smith from Texas A&M.  And finally there is a great route runner Javon Baker and Luke McCafferty, brother of Christian McCafferty. All should be available when the Jets pick in the 3rd round.  

If we don't end up trading up or having one of the better WRs drop to use at 72 then I am all for going WR back to back with our next two selections.

You grab a guy like Walker in the 3rd with blazing speed who could take the top off a defense and then Rice in the 4th who could be a solid route runner with sure hands and create good WR depth.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You also have to consider that 7 teams have already taken WR, the chances that any of those team double up, before the Jets pick, is very remote.

I think we will have AT LEAST 1 WR with higher value than he'll be picked fall close to 72 and maybe we have to move up just a bit to grab him but won't cost a ton to.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yes and then consider teams that took a wr high last year as well.  So with so many wrs still around, would the jets actually go defense early 3rd and then trade up from round 4 to get a wr thinking at that point they’re just so similar?  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Yes and then consider teams that took a wr high last year as well.  So with so many wrs still around, would the jets actually go defense early 3rd and then trade up from round 4 to get a wr thinking at that point they’re just so similar?  

No no defense nothing. We should double down at WR if anything. 

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Watch them take Jenkins the NT.  

If he actually fell to 72 I wouldn't hate it honestly. The value there will be hard to pass up. But yes we do need to go WR and possibly twice out of all of 3rd + 4th round picks.

I still think we're signing OBJ for depth as well.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

If he actually fell to 72 I wouldn't hate it honestly. The value there will be hard to pass up. But yes we do need to go WR and possibly twice out of all of 3rd + 4th round picks.

I still think we're signing OBJ for depth as well.

I wonder if the wrs are so abundant that as you get into the 3rd round compared to the 4th there’s not much difference.  The jets found Gipson after the draft.  So i could see things fall a certain way and they say ok, we have 3 picks in round 4 and a lot of these wrs we have graded very similarly, so let’s take the best defensive guy we have rated much higher than these guys and then we can target certain wrs tomorrow.  It would not surprise me.   If they went that route it would be DT or S.

3 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Option 1: Do Nothing

While this alternative is unlikely given that JD and the Jets are in "win now and save your job" mode, it's not out of the question. The Jets have 3 UDFA as WR4-6 on the depth chart, Lazard at 3 coming off an atrocious season, and Mike Williams at 2 fresh off an ACL tear. Some level of insurance is almost definitely warranted, but Aaron Rodgers has expressed confidence in the players we have rostered, including Brownlee, Gipson and Lazard. If he is as influential on personnel decisions as some here speculate, there is the small chance he is telling JD to build out the rest of the team, bring in some more UDFA WR and let him elevate this group. If injuries didn't exist this alternative might be viable, but it's safe to assume at least 1 contingency player is inbound, if not more.

I wish I could bet money that the Jets will draft one, if not 2 wide receivers before the end of this draft.  Even if it's pick #185 or #137, or pick #257, we will draft a player or two.  I think that while JD and Saleh expect a much different result out of Lazard than last year, they have to be prepared that Lazard will be the bum that he was last season.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I wonder if the wrs are so abundant that as you get into the 3rd round compared to the 4th there’s not much difference.  The jets found Gipson after the draft.  So i could see things fall a certain way and they say ok, we have 3 picks in round 4 and a lot of these wrs we have graded very similarly, so let’s take the best defensive guy we have rated much higher than these guys and then we can target certain wrs tomorrow.  It would not surprise me.   If they went that route it would be DT or S.

I think JD has shown he is taking BPA with positional value mindfulness over need. I'm sure we'll be hunting for pass catchers tonight but if someone like Jenkins falls to 72 I think he takes him.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I think JD has shown he is taking BPA with positional value mindfulness over need. I'm sure we'll be hunting for pass catchers tonight but if someone like Jenkins falls to 72 I think he takes him.

That sounds right and with 3 picks in the 4th you would think he’s ready to trade up for someone who falls within range

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

JETS ALTERNATIVES AT WR:

• do nothing (current group)

• Trade for a Vet

• Veteran Free agents

• Trade up for a WR day 2

• Sit pat at Round 3, pick 8

Another alternative would be to trade for a "do nothing" Vet.

The Boston Sports Journal’s Mike Giardi reports the Patriots and Bills are interested in acquiring Deebo Samuel.
The smoke that the 49ers are preparing to deal one of Samuel or Brandon Aiyuk is thickening instead of dissipating, and the Bills have a key piece of trade ammunition after modestly trading down on Thursday and acquiring the No. 33 overall pick. The Pats select at No. 34. At this point, it is beginning to appear likely that Samuel has a new home in the next couple of hours, but the all-in 49ers could maintain trade discipline and hold onto both wideouts with an eye toward a “last dance"-style run with this skill group in 2024.