Do you think we see a bounce back season from Lazard?

19 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

no… if rogers throws for 4k we are saying Corley will have like 500 yards

Wilson 1200 yards

Willliams 800 yard 

Conk 500 yards

Corley 500 yards 

Breece 400 yards 

that leaves 600 yards between Lazard, TE2, RB 2/3, and WR 5/6

Ahhh…. So you’re hoping for the kid to average 29 yards a game as the WR3?

43 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

If there’s one thing I learned today, it’s you guys sure do love yourselves some Malachi Corley.

Apparently this kid from Western Kentucky is gonna step right in from the jump and run roughshod through the league. 

They like him because his name sound like Kerley

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

And with the running game we are hoping to have I expect rogers to throw closer to 3200-3600 yards honestly. In his back to back mvps I don’t think he broke 4k both years 

I see… and I assume you have our defense finishing in the top 3 statistically so just out of curiosity what’s our final record going to be? Do we make the playoffs, and if so how deep do they go?

Just now, Green Ghost said:

I see… and I assume you have our defense finishing in the top 3 statistically so just out of curiosity what’s our final record going to be? Do we make the playoffs, and if so how deep do they go?

Are you trying to argue that Rodgers isn’t throwing for 3200 yards? 

I expect the defense to be the same or better than last year. If for no other reason that they will spend less time on the field and get to play with more leads. 

5 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Are you trying to argue that Rodgers isn’t throwing for 3200 yards? 

I expect the defense to be the same or better than last year. If for no other reason that they will spend less time on the field and get to play with more leads. 

Argue? Not me… far from it.
I’m simply trying to wrap my head around you saying that’s what you’re expecting from him. Why are a you such a hater?

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

Argue? Not me… far from it.
I’m simply trying to wrap my head around you saying that’s what you’re expecting from him. Why are a you such a hater?

I’m trying to understand the point you are trying to make. 

8 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Again, I’m not arguing. It was a question

7 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

I’m trying to understand the point you are trying to make. 

I’m not trying to make a point, I’m (once again) asking you a question.

Lazard is playing with Rodgers again, and basically playing for his next contract-whether to stay on the Jets (unlikely regardless of how he plays) or for his next team after he is cut.  

I am expecting a big bounce back year from Lazard.  He will be a key to the Jets playoff season.

Then they will cut him. 

On Lazard:

1) Its crazy that we paid Lazard 10+ million per year, and turned around and asked Corey Davis to take a pay cut.  In no world is/was Lazard a better receiver than Corey Davis (bridge burned!).

2) Rodgers has trust that Lazard knows the in-game adjustments that Aaron wants.  That is valuable to Rodgers despite Lazard's questionable hands and limited athleticism.  As a 4 or 5th option in the offense, Lazard should "do better" but will still suck (as GB fans already knew when we signed him.)

3) Lazard sucking will not hurt the Jets as much since the offense should be able to move the ball consistently.  The hope is Lazard doesn't suck at a big time moment...

4) Optimistic expectation:  Lazard to produce 30-35 catches, 375- 425 yards (basically ~1 to 2 catches a game, and ~10 to 12 yds/catch

19 minutes ago, jNYC1 said:

Lazard sucking will not hurt the Jets as much since the offense should be able to move the ball consistently.  The hope is Lazard doesn't suck at a big time moment...

Optimistic expectation:  Lazard to produce 30-35 catches, 375- 425 yards (basically ~1 to 2 catches a game, and ~10 to 12 yds/catch

That’s you being optimistic, huh? Yeesh.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, jNYC1 said:

On Lazard:

4) Optimistic expectation:  Lazard to produce 30-35 catches, 375- 425 yards (basically ~1 to 2 catches a game, and ~10 to 12 yds/catch

For his career, Lazard has averaged 13.3 yds per catch.

Even last season, he averaged 13.5 yds per catch.

I think your 10-12 yd per catch average, is definitely on the low side.

1 hour ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

And with the running game we are hoping to have I expect rogers to throw closer to 3200-3600 yards honestly. In his back to back mvps I don’t think he broke 4k both years 

FACT CHECK THIS sh*t.  You think wrong.  He had almost 3700 in 2022.  Before that 4 straight years over 4,000.  

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

For his career, Lazard has averaged 13.3 yds per catch.

Even last season, he averaged 13.5 yds per catch.

I think your 10-12 yd per catch average, is definitely on the low side.

Fair point.  My assumption is that Rodgers will trust Wilson and Williams down the field more often than he trusts Lazard (thus a drop in ADOT)  With that said, even if he hits his career average in yds/catch, I still think he is less than 500 yds in the offense in 2024.

8 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He'll put up slightly better numbers for sure - it's not that he'll get better.  It's just going to be a slight upgrade in QB.

Again, trying to hard.  No one would ever say Rodgers is only a slight upgrade over Zach Wilson unless they were trolling or brain dead.

Lazard’s last season in Green Bay was his most productive, as it was the year they let Davante Adams leave. It’s also the year that Rodgers probably spread the ball around the most. That season, Lazard had 60 catches on 100 targets. Rodgers’ other targets were RB Aaron Jones at 72 (with 59 catches, good for second on the team), Doubs and TE Tonyan at 67, Watson at 66, Cobb at 59 and RB Dillon with 43. 

2021 was probably more representative of how Rodgers prefers to distribute the ball. Adams had 169 targets, Jones second again at 65, Lazard at 60, and Valdez-Scantling at 55 (in just 11 games). Three TEs split 90 targets. 

2020 was similar to that, with Adams at 149, Valdez-Scantling and Jones tied at 63, Tonyan at 59, and Lazard coming in fifth at 46. 

‘20 and ‘21 were Rodgers MVP years with Hackett at OC, so I think it’s fair to say they might give us a little glimpse of what this year’s distribution might look like. I’d expect Wilson way out in front, similar to his 168 targets last year with Breece next up because the RB is always #2. Then you have Conklin and Williams in the starting lineup, and they probably would have to be the favorites to be targets #3 & 4. So then -what?- Corley and Lazard in the battle for fifth, with either potentially being capable of sliding into the 3-4 range, I guess. My thinking is that Corley will be the slot and Lazard will primarily backup outside, so those targets go to the rookie from Western Kentucky. It’s just difficult to see Lazard getting enough opportunities, barring injury, to qualify for that bounce back year. I think he’s primarily insurance this season, and probably on his way off the team. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

And we want this loser (who checks out at the first sign of controversy) on our team for what reason again?  

I hope JD can somehow find a way to trade him and we never hear from this bum again.

Controversy? LOL. I guess thats ONE way to describe playing with ZW under center...

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Controversy? LOL. I guess thats ONE way to describe playing with ZW under center...

Controversy as in "the guy he signed here to play with (AR8) got injured".

People will make any excuse to trash ZW.  Players are allowed to check out.  WRs are allowed to drop perfectly thrown passes.  OL are allowed to turn into pylons.  Everything is explained away as "ZW svcks".

But why did we replace 3 of our 5 starting OL (including both OTs) and draft an OT at 1.10?  Why did we sign a WR2 and trade up to draft another potential WR2 at 3.1?  Why did we also draft 2 RBs? 

All of that despite a HOF QB coming back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

People will make any excuse to trash ZW.  Players are allowed to check out.  WRs are allowed to drop perfectly thrown passes.  OL are allowed to turn into pylons.  Everything is explained away as "ZW svcks".

But why did we replace 3 of our 5 starting OL (including both OTs) and draft an OT at 1.10?  Why did we sign a WR2 and trade up to draft another potential WR2 at 3.1?  Why did we also draft 2 RBs? 

He is gone.  I don't see the need to keep rehashing it.  This is like arguing about Pennington having a chicken arm in 2011.  In all your "why did we"s you left out the most important one.  Why did we sign a viable backup QB?  

Zach sucked.  I doni't know if you can see that or not.  That doesn't mean that other players didn't suck too, or played to an acceptable level.   If they are, God willing, good on O this year you think it will be from all the other changes and not the HOF QB? 

3 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

Fair point.  My assumption is that Rodgers will trust Wilson and Williams down the field more often than he trusts Lazard (thus a drop in ADOT)  With that said, even if he hits his career average in yds/catch, I still think he is less than 500 yds in the offense in 2024.

We really don't disagree.

I'm already on record as saying that I think it's realistic for Lazard regain his 2019 through 2021 production levels:

In 2019 he had 35 catches for 477 yds & 3 TDs.

In 2020 he had 33 catches for 451 yds & 3 TDs.

in 2021 he had 40 catches for 513 yds & 8 TDs.

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Zach's fault!!!  He has to throw a tighter spiral there (instead of that duck) and be a lot more accurate with the placement of that throw.

Understandable why Lazard checked out.

I'm not sure who said this on the board first but they deserve credit:  

"Lazard is a body catcher and Zach threw the ball 60 mph every time"

Lazard was over paid when he signed but there's no way he's just as bad with Aaron Rodgers dropping the ball in the basket rather than Zach throwing bazookas 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Players are allowed to check out.  WRs are allowed to drop perfectly thrown passes.  OL are allowed to turn into pylons.  Everything is explained away as "ZW svcks".

the OT group of Duane Brown, Billy Turner, Max Mitchell, Carter Warren and Mekhi Becton was GM malpractice, tho

they signed a WR2 because Lazard and Cobb were both terrible as signings. Cobb was a waste of a roster spot, which is a shocking level of mismanagement by any NFL team 

As for Lazard, I agree. Yes, he's a bum. Yes, he's checked out and overpaid. Not a great signing.

but also, he doesn't have the hands to catch these piss missiles Zach was throwing out there. The slo-mo gif isn't an accurate representation of how little touch Zach had 

It's fair to imagine Wilson-Williams-Lazard as a better trio than Wilson-Lazard-Cobb - by definition, almost anything would be. Cobb was gifted an extra year on Rodgers' say-so but had no business being on an NFL roster in any capacity except for maybe assistant WR coach 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

When you can legitimately answer why/how the Jets Offense managed to average #1 in yards and averaged 300+ yards of passing in every game when someone other than Zach Wilson was under center  with the exact same OL and skill players in '21 and '22, we can have a legitimate discussion.... 

Zach was an anchor, a cancer, and a bad luck charm all in one for the franchise and paying him to NOT be on the NYJ is addition by subtraction. 

Good day, my friend!

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I'm not sure who said this on the board first but they deserve credit:  

"Lazard is a body catcher and Zach threw the ball 60 mph every time"

Lazard was over paid when he signed but there's no way he's just as bad with Aaron Rodgers dropping the ball in the basket rather than Zach throwing bazookas 

I don't think it was the speed of the throws.  That was Nagle.  I think it was the processing meant that the ball was not there when expected.  That is bigger than you guys think.  When you are looking for the ball, waiting for it, and then "oh here it comes!"  That ****s you up big time.  I have experienced this myself both as a good receiver and meh QB.

36 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

When you can legitimately answer why/how the Jets Offense managed to average #1 in yards and averaged 300+ yards of passing in every game when someone other than Zach Wilson was under center  with the exact same OL and skill players in '21 and '22, we can have a legitimate discussion.... 

Zach was an anchor, a cancer, and a bad luck charm all in one for the franchise and paying him to NOT be on the NYJ is addition by subtraction. 

Good day, my friend!

We don't disagree about ZW in 2021 and 2022.  He stunk those years (and I criticized him as much as anyone).  I'm specifically referring to this past year, 2023, where I think he made a jump.

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We don't disagree about ZW in 2021 and 2022.  He stunk those years (and I criticized him as much as anyone).  I'm specifically referring to this past year, 2023, where I think he made a jump.

By what metric?  His INTs per attempt were down.  Other than that he was the same or worse in pretty much every metric.  I assume you mean "the eyeball test" based him not throwing groundballs.  There is more to it than that.  I think his timing appeared terrible and to me "the eyeball test" showed a closer to functioning O with a sh*tty QB like Simien.  

Excluding his rookie year, Lazard averages roughly 500 yards and 4-5 TDs a season. Last year, he had 311yd and 1 TD.

If a "bounce back" is a regression to the mean, then yes I suspect that will occur given a healthy Rodgers. With his size and blocking prowess, Lazard will likely still get some red zone slot looks and may spell at outside WR occasionally. 

I am not really expecting a significant exceedance of his career averages, unless he has to step into a larger role (and even then I doubt he exceeds his 2022 career year).

• Upvote 1