Do you think we see a bounce back season from Lazard?

His biggest strength and the main reason we signed him was his chemistry and relationship with Rodgers which was lost instantly and replaced with the inept Zach Wilson.

Seems like a given he was a bad contract but assuming Rodgers actually plays I have to think he'll be much, much better than last year.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

His biggest strength and the main reason we signed him was his chemistry and relationship with Rodgers which was lost instantly and replaced with the inept Zach Wilson.

Seems like a given he was a bad contract but assuming Rodgers actually plays I have to think he'll be much, much better than last year.

Chemistry? He couldn’t break 800 receiving yards as Rodgers first read for an entire season

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

No argument about Wilson and Hall, those two are no brainers. I do think you’re vastly overrating what Corley’s impact and role will be this year however. IMO he’s going to be behind both Lazard and Williams (when healthy). Probably your guy Gipson and maybe Brownlee also.
He’s a rookie from a mid major school. I don’t see him stepping into a big role on a win now team.

That doesn’t mean I want to see Lazard get time over him, or that Lazard will put up big numbers this year, it’s just what’s going to happen. This CS plays their veterans, and Lazard, like him or not has a history with, and meshes well with Rodgers. Let’s be real… the OC and HC know that, and the vets will be out there with Aaron.

It would be difficult for me to disagree much more. They wanted a WR in the first round so that this CS could play another rookie just like they did with Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall. When they missed on that, they targeted Corley as their Plan A on Day 2. Douglas started making calls in the second round in an attempt to move up to get him because they still wanted a rookie WR to play this year, and the YAC King is who they wanted for the role. Saleh could barely contain himself talking about the guy and all the different ways they’ll be trying to get the ball into his hands. Barring injury, he’ll have a bigger role than Lazard this year. Lazard will be the backup X, and sometime receiver #4. Corley’s #3. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

It would be difficult for me to disagree much more. They wanted a WR in the first round so that this CS could play another rookie just like they did with Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall. When they missed on that, they targeted Corley as their Plan A on Day 2. Douglas started making calls in the second round in an attempt to move up to get him because they still wanted a rookie WR to play this year, and the YAC King is who they wanted for the role. Saleh could barely contain himself talking about the guy and all the different ways they’ll be trying to get the ball into his hands. Barring injury, he’ll have a bigger role than Lazard this year. Lazard will be the backup X, and sometime receiver #4. Corley’s #3. 

We’ve both stated our cases here. Agree to disagree?

TBH, I hope you’re right. I’m no fan of Lazard. We’ll see how it all plays out soon enough.

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Backup X could be Day 1 starter. Williams could be miles away from ready.

He won’t be a Jet by this time next year. Wish we could trade him. I think he’ll be outplayed by Brownlee and Corley.

So, no I don't think he will bounce back. He’ll be the 5th WR on this team by mod season.

1 minute ago, Jethead said:

Backup X could be Day 1 starter. Williams could be miles away from ready.

This is just another issue with Lazard to the slot. He’s gonna get a lot of work in camp at X, while Corley gets all the work in the slot. Gipson might open camp as the starter in deference to the veteran, but Corley will quickly take over. 

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

Dude was so bad last year that I have extended periods of time in which I forget he's even still on the team.

But he'll be back with his guy at QB and has proven he can be a productive NFL recevier.

If he turns things around as the 4th/5th option as a pass catcher it would be huge for this offense.

But do you think he does that, or will he stink up the joint once again?

I think he will be better - he couldn't be much worse than last year.   But, I think his playing time will be limited.  I think we will utilize more 3WR sets with Wilson, Williams, and Corley and 2 TE sets with Conklin and Ruckert 

16 minutes ago, slats said:

This is just another issue with Lazard to the slot. He’s gonna get a lot of work in camp at X, while Corley gets all the work in the slot. Gipson might open camp as the starter in deference to the veteran, but Corley will quickly take over. 

Corley is definitely getting a lot of looks in both camp and the PS games. Nobody is going to disagree with that.

57 minutes ago, Pac said:

He shut it down last year while Garrett gave it everything he had with Zip at QB.  That can't and won't be forgiven. 

Yeah he'll have a better year but then it's time to gtfoh. 

We're very lucky to have a non-diva like GW.  Let's hope it stays that way.

• Upvote 1

My first instinct was "no" but if he gets over 400-500 yards with the additions we've made and a healthy Rodgers, I'd consider that a bounce-back season.  With a healthy group that's all we'll need from him.  If Williams goes down though he'll probably become the #2, and we'll need a lot more out of him. 

3 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Sometimes I think people dont realize how awful Zach Wilson truly was at trying to be an NFL QB and the negative impact it has on the individuals who were dependent on him, not just the team as a whole. 

Good examples of what you're talking about are below.  All of these plays are ZW's fault!  lol

_Scripted_NFL_Allen_Lazard_With_The_Drop_Los_Angeles_Charg.gif.5c0b34e270be8bb6209fbd77ee7ea361.gif

CJUzomahDroppedPass.gif.2634d187bdd648e6c262c90927e12306.gif

New_York_Jets_vs_Las_Vegas_Raiders__2023_Week_10_Game_Highli.gif.2186c385f2f7e9feaa58509c1228ffd2.gif

Zach_Wilson_EVERY_THROW__Week_10__New_York_Jets_vs_LV_Raid.gif.6b23b04c5905df2941321c6433a6a76a.gif

Zach_Wilson_EVERY_THROW__Week_10__New_York_Jets_vs_LV_Raid2.gif.5401eb8bc414dff094f4283e1bb8346f.gif

ZachWilsonBouncedAround.gif.1927782c72fb5ddd211a6c660a14b7ae.gif

image.gif.cd0b665456026dc760423d001063eaef.gif

image.jpeg.98af3f2cf1d368c7ef5d7a6c33702a5d.jpeg

Fail_Mary_And_Robert_Saleh_Colgate_Commercial__NFLs_Biggest(1).gif.dc7ce5d90938b64d17859898244e2037.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

One would think. If and when he’s healthy. @BreeceHallofFame was replying to a post calling Lazard #2 and that’s the one I quoted.

Personally I think our starters when push comes to shove will be GW, Williams and Lazard.

I think Corley is going to pass Lazard on the depth chart.  The team is obviously very high on him, and Lazard was placed on the trade block a couple months back.  Speaks volumes.

With that said, if Lazard is on the team, he will be rotated in and get some opportunities.  I don't think he's going to do much.  The epitome of a role player.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

image.gif.cd0b665456026dc760423d001063eaef.gif

I still cannot fathom how this hit was not flagged for roughing the passer.  If ever there was a clear shot to the head of a QB, this is it.

And it absolutely amazes me that people were against taking an OT in the first round.  I, for one, am looking forward to the days where the Jets quarterback doesn't need to run for his life after two seconds on every drop back.

• Post of the Week 3

9 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

I think Lazard realized it was a lost season and had no desire to run around for 2 hours on a Sunday and get clocked by DB’s reaching back for errant passes. Business decisions. With Rodgers back, he will bounce back. They had a good chemistry together.

This is about all we can hope for but whats to say about a guy that ******* gives up on the team probably making it even harder on the hideous QB throwing him the ball. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

My first instinct was "no" but if he gets over 400-500 yards with the additions we've made and a healthy Rodgers, I'd consider that a bounce-back season.  With a healthy group that's all we'll need from him.  If Williams goes down though he'll probably become the #2, and we'll need a lot more out of him. 

Also if rodgers plays most of the season, i expect the jets to be winning way more than last year.  The plan is clearly to get early leads and then pound the ball for as much of the 2nd halves as they can.  If the other wrs are healthy and productive Lazard will be an afterthought in this offense.  

I expect Lazard will be better with Rodgers but you'd hope that's true for every offensive player. He had some ok seasons with Rodgers in GB but it doesn't seem like the coaching staff here has much love for him. My expectation is that he's put into a role similar to Cobb last year and also slid around to cover injuries and rookies early in the season. His contract is only guaranteed through this year, so hopefully he plays well to try to get another contract...somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

So you’re saying WR1, TE1 and RB1 will all get more targets than WR2?
Pete Davidson Ok GIF by Saturday Night Live

If Lazard is WR 2 it will be for the first month of the season (worst case scenario) and that is with Corley taking a lot of touches. 4 games (max) =\= 17 game season 

If there’s one thing I learned today, it’s you guys sure do love yourselves some Malachi Corley.

Apparently this kid from Western Kentucky is gonna step right in from the jump and run roughshod through the league. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

Dude was so bad last year that I have extended periods of time in which I forget he's even still on the team.

But he'll be back with his guy at QB and has proven he can be a productive NFL recevier.

If he turns things around as the 4th/5th option as a pass catcher it would be huge for this offense.

But do you think he does that, or will he stink up the joint once again?

Lazard was never brought in to be the teams de facto WR2. He was brought in because he was a system fit. He is a mediocre pass catcher. Was never going to be the #2 that can get 900-1k yards. Where he was supposed to help the team was in the running game, as he is a great run blocking WR. He was supposed to help in situations where Rodgers goes rouge and throws a screen pass when the rest of the offense thinks it’s a run play. he was also supposed to be a helpful veteran presence that could help the offense move forward as the rest of the guys learned how to play with Rodgers. When Rodgers was lost, Lazard became worthless. I’m not saying he’s a good player compared to other WRers in the NFL when we think of pass catchers but I think he is one of those guys that can be a good role player in an Aaron Rodgers offense. His value, or at least his expected value isn’t necessarily tied to catches and yardage. Hes supposed to be a guy that helps make the offense work and allows the more talented guys around him to be more productive.

8 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Lazard was never brought in to be the teams de facto WR2. He was brought in because he was a system fit. He is a mediocre pass catcher. Was never going to be the #2 that can get 900-1k yards. Where he was supposed to help the team was in the running game, as he is a great run blocking WR. He was supposed to help in situations where Rodgers goes rouge and throws a screen pass when the rest of the offense thinks it’s a run play. he was also supposed to be a helpful veteran presence that could help the offense move forward as the rest of the guys learned how to play with Rodgers. When Rodgers was lost, Lazard became worthless. I’m not saying he’s a good player compared to other WRers in the NFL when we think of pass catchers but I think he is one of those guys that can be a good role player in an Aaron Rodgers offense. His value, or at least his expected value isn’t necessarily tied to catches and yardage. Hes supposed to be a guy that helps make the offense work and allows the more talented guys around him to be more productive.

I kinda agree with you, but if you think he’s that guy you just described, you must have been screaming bloody murder when JD gave him all the money he did.

16 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

If there’s one thing I learned today, it’s you guys sure do love yourselves some Malachi Corley.

Apparently this kid from Western Kentucky is gonna step right in from the jump and run roughshod through the league. 

no… if rogers throws for 4k we are saying Corley will have like 500 yards

Wilson 1200 yards

Willliams 800 yard 

Conk 500 yards

Corley 500 yards 

Breece 400 yards 

that leaves 600 yards between Lazard, TE2, RB 2/3, and WR 5/6

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I kinda agree with you, but if you think he’s that guy you just described, you must have been screaming bloody murder when JD gave him all the money he did.

Thats why I said expected value lol. Hes supposed to be the guy that is aware that Rodgers is about to throw a quick pass in a run formation and he makes the key block on the DB that allows Garrett Wilson to make a big gain. The guy that makes the big block on the safety to allow breece to get to the next level. I expected him to be the guy that did the dirty work that kind of flys under the radar. I never thought he was your typical WR2 type. 

• Upvote 1