Jets Sign Braelon Allen, Jordan Travis and Isaiah Davis

Braelon-Allen-carry.jpg

The Jets official twitter account has confirmed the signing running back Braelon Allen.  Chosen in round four of the draft (134th overall), Allen is expected to bring some thump to the Jets backfield.

Power. Explosion. Agility. Contact Balance.

Newest at @nyjets RB Braelon Allen. pic.twitter.com/BwcIlFlPH5

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) April 27, 2024

The youngest player in this year’s draft at just twenty years old, the powerful runner out of Wisconsin should bring a short yardage and goal line weapon out of the backfield that the Jets lacked in 2023.  In three seasons with the Badgers, Allen amassed 3,494 yards and 35 touchdowns.

In addition to Allen, the Jets locked up quarterback Jordan Travis whom they added with pick number 171 in the fifth round.

OFFICIAL: Winning mentality comin' to NY with @jordantrav13.

— New York Jets (@nyjets) May 13, 2024

A young signal caller who should have time to sit back and learn, Travis is viewed as an excellent leader who uses a combination of mobility and accuracy to challenge opposing defenses.

Fellow fifth-round pick Isaiah Davis also signed his rookie deal with the Jets where he’ll likely push Izzy Abanikanda for a roster spot.

And now RB Isaiah Davis, the second of three picks in the fifth round, has signed his rookie contract — four years, about $4.3 million. #Jets

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) May 13, 2024

The post Jets Sign Braelon Allen, Jordan Travis and Isaiah Davis appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

17 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Perine could only dream of being as fast or good as either Allen or Davis

So Douglas all of a sudden knows what he is doing?   Praise the Lord, hallelujah!

Drafting Allen was a good move, we need another RB.  Taking two RbS instead of another Wr or S or guard was el stupido

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So Douglas all of a sudden knows what he is doing?   Praise the Lord, hallelujah!

Drafting Allen was a good move, we need another RB.  Taking two RbS instead of another Wr or S or guard was el stupido

I wasn't commenting on Douglas.  Just Perine as compared to Allen and Davis.  I agree that taking Allen was a good move, and that taking another RB rather than an IOL, WR or S was dumb.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

IMG_5202.jpeg

I don't care what some media guy says.  Perine's feet were never nimble with the Jets. He always looked slow and didn't have the vision or power that Davis does.  After the Jets drafted Perine I looked at film and I never saw him looking as good as Davis does.  FTR, however, I think taking Davis was a bad move.  JD should have taken an IOL or a S.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I don't care what some media guy says.  Perine's feet were never nimble with the Jets. He always looked slow and didn't have the vision or power that Davis does.  After the Jets drafted Perine I looked at film and I never saw him looking as good as Davis does.  FTR, however, I think taking Davis was a bad move.  JD should have taken an IOL or a S.

Agree with this 100%.  Perine was an absolute slug - hated that pick with a passion.

The Davis pick shocked me at the time, but now that I have watched some clips I can see why the Jets liked him. He runs way harder and is much more dynamic than Perine ever was.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JKlecko said:

That’s not a “media guy.” It’s a raw comparison of athletic testing numbers. 

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Agree with this 100%.  Perine was an absolute slug - hated that pick with a passion.

The Davis pick shocked me at the time, but now that I have watched some clips I can see why the Jets liked him. He runs way harder and is much more dynamic than Perine ever was.

From what I’ve seen, Davis runs harder than Allen does, too. I think that’s a big part of the reason they drafted him. Allen was the youngest player in the draft, hasn’t really learned to use his substantial body to his advantage yet, and also has had some fumbling issues. He’s probably something of a (FB?) project. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that Davis wins the #2 RB spot this year. I expect that to be a wide open competition. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I hated Perine as much as the next guy, but the film you were looking at for Perine was against the SEC, not Holy Cross, Incarnate Word or Youngstown State.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I'm sure you're being sarcastic, but.....

Braelon Allen Running Back Wisconsin | NFL Draft Profile & Scouting Report (nfldraftbuzz.com)

Ran a 4.40 forty...

We already went through this.  That time is not reputable.  See the asterisk?  Not the combine.  Not a pro day.  Presumably hand-timed.  Maybe by his grandmother.  You can find "sources" saying Rice ran a 4.8, Fitzgerald ran a 4.63 (at the combine where he declined to run!) or Jamal Adams ran a 4.33.  None of those things happened, but they are on the internet.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I hated Perine as much as the next guy, but the film you were looking at for Perine was against the SEC, not Holy Cross, Incarnate Word or Youngstown State.

True, but Perine didn't even show quick feet or great vision against the SEC, and he certainly didn't with the Jets.  Quick feet and great vision should help a RB at any level.  Davis' speed may not be good enough to be ultimately effective in the NFL, but he at least has a chance.  Perine never had a chance.  I never understood why JD drafted him.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That’s not a “media guy.” It’s a raw comparison of athletic testing numbers. 

What's the source?  Regardless, Perine wasn't that long ago.  I can clearly remember how slow and ineffective he was. He wasn't even all that in college.  His stats were decent, but imo he never passed the eye test.  He never looked like an NFL RB to me.  He didn't have elite spped and didn't have elite power.  He was just meh.

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2024 at 1:04 PM, JKlecko said:

What's the source?  Regardless, Perine wasn't that long ago.  I can clearly remember how slow and ineffective he was. He wasn't even all that in college.  His stats were decent, but imo he never passed the eye test.  He never looked like an NFL RB to me.  He didn't have elite spped and didn't have elite power.  He was just meh.

The source is their numbers at the combine and pro days.  You constant harping on how poor of an athlete Perine was is just making Shane's point.  Davis probably isn't an NFL level athlete.  

FWIW, I think that sh*t goes out the window with RB and QB.  A lot of it is vision and desire for RB.  Sure power and speed always helps but marginal guys can be successful.  I did not like the Perine pick.  I think he was kind of a jack of all trades master of none, but FWIW, he just got lhis second ring with the Chiefs.  They signed him in January of 2023.  He was on and off the practice squad, but was with them last all season.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

We already went through this.  That time is not reputable.  See the asterisk?  Not the combine.  Not a pro day.  Presumably hand-timed.  Maybe by his grandmother.  You can find "sources" saying Rice ran a 

Well it's out there, here it is again - with no asterisk next to it:

Player Spotlight: Wisconsin Running Back Braelon Allen (withthefirstpick.com)

Strengths

Physical Specimen: Allen possesses a rare blend of size, strength, and speed that makes him a nightmare for opposing defenses. His 6'2", 245-pound frame allows him to power through tackles, while his 4.40-second 40-yard dash time gives him the ability to outrun defenders. It's rare to find a back that has both.

3 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Well it's out there, here it is again - with no asterisk next to it:

Player Spotlight: Wisconsin Running Back Braelon Allen (withthefirstpick.com)

Strengths

Physical Specimen: Allen possesses a rare blend of size, strength, and speed that makes him a nightmare for opposing defenses. His 6'2", 245-pound frame allows him to power through tackles, while his 4.40-second 40-yard dash time gives him the ability to outrun defenders. It's rare to find a back that has both.

. . . and their source is?  Probably the same one you cited.  Watch him.  That kid does not run 4.40.  It's a bullsh*t time.  He did not run during the draft process.  I can show you video of most of these guys running.  Not Braelon Allen.  Even if he did run a hand-timed 40, it is not exactly trustworthy.

FWIW, if you think nfldraftbuzz is a reputable source, this looks like the same people and they have him at a 5.10 40.  Also not valid, but just as much "out there." 

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/stats/Braelon-Allen-RB-Wisconsin

There were some studies that the bench actually might correlate to success for RB and Allen was a beast (26 reps, 93rd percentile), particularly since he doesn't have short T-Rex arms.  Davis also had a pretty good bench (23 reps - 79th percentile).  I am not sure how valid to correlation is, it was from the field gulls guys and their SPARQ analysis and the Seahawks draft trends.  I have not seen anything lately.