Seeking Dude Perspectives: A confrontation with the town crackhead

times have changed, the freaks running rampant throughout our cities don't play by the same rules I grew up with... honestly nothing good can come from confronting anyone these days.  I know this is easier said than done, especially for me lol, but I've actually had people on scooters and bikes assault my car driving on the Westside Highway, as tempting as it is to just mow them down cooler heads prevail.  Im glad you tried to explain to your girlfriend from some obviously calmer area of the country how things work, well done

I was only trying to be friendly to you and your girl and this is what I get?  Calling me crazy and schizo?   I am very hurt.

You did the right thing to not fight the guy, you should have told the girlfriend that if she wanted someone to fight the crazy local she should be dating a bear.

Also you were right to tell her never to engage with dubious people in the first place.

As an aside I know all about that kind of crazy, I had an older brother who was schizophrenic.   What a waste of a promising human being it was.   He was a very good football and basket ball player in high school, pretty smart and started to study journalism in college.  Then he just went full on nuts.  A lot of awful years dealing with him, thankfully for about the last 20-25 years of his life he got into a stable living situation in which he was mostly looked after.  He went from being a strong fit young guy to ending up looking like the cover of album Aqualung.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 5/26/2024 at 6:57 AM, T0mShane said:

So, looking for some perspective from the dudes. Pretty sure I did the right thing, but wondering where we are, as men, when faced with this circumstance. 

The Scenario: Took the gf down the shore for a quick weekend trip. Lovely little town, B&B, boardwalk, everything is lovely. It’s about 8pm and it’s chilly, so we’re walking back a quarter mile to the hotel. Sun is setting, waves coming in, cross over to the sidewalk running parallel with the beach. Everything is nice-nice. Then I see him: the town crazy person up ahead. Mid-40’s, frail, a little hunched over, standing on the next corner looking agitated. White guy, Italian features, maybe 5’10, 125 lbs, clothes are too big for him—oversized T-shirt, baggy denim shorts, long socks, jacked up sneakers, like everything he’s got on is from a shelter. His face looks like it’s been caved in fifty times. It’s too late to cross over again, so my thought is to just try and slip by hoping the dude stays calm. 

Then the gf sees him staring at us and she stares back and says “Can I help you?” Like, sarcastically, confrontationally. Oh no. She grew up in Florida and went to college in North Carolina, and has lived in suburban Connecticut since. Not too much experience with the limits of the mental health system in the Tri-State as it relates to keeping crazy people out of the general population. Now it’s on. 

We pull even with the guy and the guy starts loudly popping off “Who areee you I don’t ******* liiiike you Who areeee you” Crazy guy sh*t. Schizophrenia sh*t. This is a quiet street with a row of restaurants and quaint seaside B&Bs. Guy starts following us, but maintains a six foot radius at all times, like he knows the rules. He’s barking at us “**** you gonna dooooo pussy. Come onnn.” Starts pulling off his shirt like he wants to fight, I guess. I am 6’2, 245. Not fat, per se, but not The Rock. Standard issue construction worker body. I’m not usually subjected to the crazy guy actually wanting to escalate. He’s still six feet away. The gf is yelling at him. He calls the gf a “hooker.” Now I’m like, ah **** I can’t let that slide.  I stop walking, square up with the guy (from six feet) and tell the guy to go back to the corner and relax. When I stopped, he backed up a step, but started getting louder. “Come on pussy. You wanna do something?” The gf’s yelling has triggered this guy, emboldened him. I pull on her arm and move her down the street. It’s clear the guy isn’t going to actually attack us and he’s looking for attention. A closer look at him and I see that he’s ****ed up on something. Eyes half-closed, face is dirty, wobbly on his feet. He starts trying to, I guess, get in a fighting stance(?)

The owner of B&B we were in front of sees what’s going on and starts yelling to the guy that he’s calling the cops. It’s clear he’s familiar with this particular town crackhead and the crackhead knows him. Crackhead guy starts yelling at the B&B guy as he slowly retreats back to his corner. I thank the B&B guy and we continue on our way. 

GF is all rattled. I gently try to explain to her that you never, ever engage with crazy people on the street because at best they’re looking for attention, to be acknowledged, to have some human interaction, and the only way they can get it is by being hostile. But then there’s the worst case where you get a crazy person who’s trying to get sent on an all-expenses-paid trip to the local psych ward where they’ll be fed, sheltered, and medicated, and the only way they can get there is via an assault charge so they can be classified as a danger to themselves or others, otherwise they just get tossed back out on the street where they have nothing. The gf is, at first, pissed that I didn’t fight the guy, but when she calms down she says she understands, I was right, etc. 

My question to the dudes here is, was I right? How do you handle it? My general thinking in life is that getting in a street fight with anyone is never worth it unless they’re posing an imminent threat to you or your gf/family, etc, but especially with a crazy person because, at best, you kick the ass of someone who’s already ****ed up and you stand a decent chance of getting stabbed/bitten/bled upon, which ends up with you in the emergency room praying to God you don’t get what that guy has. Worst case, you get killed or maimed by a crackhead.

Thoughts from the fellas? 

An English major who is a construction worker?

I did not have that on my bingo card. 

I would be pretty annoyed at the girlfriend in your situation. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/28/2024 at 10:28 AM, LionelRichie said:

it's difficult not to engage when the guy is screaming at you and calling you a pussy but really the right thing to do is keep walking without taking your eye off the guy in case he makes a run at you.    nothing good comes from a fight with a homeless dude, literally nothing.   who knows what kind of diseases that guy has and your night is immediate ruined dealing with police reports and whatnot.   

I usually carry a 16 inch exbandable baton with me on the off chance someone does attack me.   it closes down to like 5 inches and fits nicely in pockets on anything that isn't tight.   

There is a joke in there about 5 inches and expands to 16 inches. 

Whenever I get into these type of things now that I am older i stick my hands down my butt crack, push out a turd and chase whoever is bothering me. Seriously they always run away. A good booger usually does it as well but if you ate a good rich dinner always try for turd.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Whenever I get into these type of things now that I am older i stick my hands down my butt crack, push out a turd and chase whoever is bothering me. Seriously they always run away. A good booger usually does it as well but if you ate a good rich dinner always try for turd.

Do you really have boogers available? You seem like a guy that eats every available one 😅

On 5/26/2024 at 6:57 AM, T0mShane said:

So, looking for some perspective from the dudes. Pretty sure I did the right thing, but wondering where we are, as men, when faced with this circumstance. 

The Scenario: Took the gf down the shore for a quick weekend trip. Lovely little town, B&B, boardwalk, everything is lovely. It’s about 8pm and it’s chilly, so we’re walking back a quarter mile to the hotel. Sun is setting, waves coming in, cross over to the sidewalk running parallel with the beach. Everything is nice-nice. Then I see him: the town crazy person up ahead. Mid-40’s, frail, a little hunched over, standing on the next corner looking agitated. White guy, Italian features, maybe 5’10, 125 lbs, clothes are too big for him—oversized T-shirt, baggy denim shorts, long socks, jacked up sneakers, like everything he’s got on is from a shelter. His face looks like it’s been caved in fifty times. It’s too late to cross over again, so my thought is to just try and slip by hoping the dude stays calm. 

Then the gf sees him staring at us and she stares back and says “Can I help you?” Like, sarcastically, confrontationally. Oh no. She grew up in Florida and went to college in North Carolina, and has lived in suburban Connecticut since. Not too much experience with the limits of the mental health system in the Tri-State as it relates to keeping crazy people out of the general population. Now it’s on. 

We pull even with the guy and the guy starts loudly popping off “Who areee you I don’t ******* liiiike you Who areeee you” Crazy guy sh*t. Schizophrenia sh*t. This is a quiet street with a row of restaurants and quaint seaside B&Bs. Guy starts following us, but maintains a six foot radius at all times, like he knows the rules. He’s barking at us “**** you gonna dooooo pussy. Come onnn.” Starts pulling off his shirt like he wants to fight, I guess. I am 6’2, 245. Not fat, per se, but not The Rock. Standard issue construction worker body. I’m not usually subjected to the crazy guy actually wanting to escalate. He’s still six feet away. The gf is yelling at him. He calls the gf a “hooker.” Now I’m like, ah **** I can’t let that slide.  I stop walking, square up with the guy (from six feet) and tell the guy to go back to the corner and relax. When I stopped, he backed up a step, but started getting louder. “Come on pussy. You wanna do something?” The gf’s yelling has triggered this guy, emboldened him. I pull on her arm and move her down the street. It’s clear the guy isn’t going to actually attack us and he’s looking for attention. A closer look at him and I see that he’s ****ed up on something. Eyes half-closed, face is dirty, wobbly on his feet. He starts trying to, I guess, get in a fighting stance(?)

The owner of B&B we were in front of sees what’s going on and starts yelling to the guy that he’s calling the cops. It’s clear he’s familiar with this particular town crackhead and the crackhead knows him. Crackhead guy starts yelling at the B&B guy as he slowly retreats back to his corner. I thank the B&B guy and we continue on our way. 

GF is all rattled. I gently try to explain to her that you never, ever engage with crazy people on the street because at best they’re looking for attention, to be acknowledged, to have some human interaction, and the only way they can get it is by being hostile. But then there’s the worst case where you get a crazy person who’s trying to get sent on an all-expenses-paid trip to the local psych ward where they’ll be fed, sheltered, and medicated, and the only way they can get there is via an assault charge so they can be classified as a danger to themselves or others, otherwise they just get tossed back out on the street where they have nothing. The gf is, at first, pissed that I didn’t fight the guy, but when she calms down she says she understands, I was right, etc. 

My question to the dudes here is, was I right? How do you handle it? My general thinking in life is that getting in a street fight with anyone is never worth it unless they’re posing an imminent threat to you or your gf/family, etc, but especially with a crazy person because, at best, you kick the ass of someone who’s already ****ed up and you stand a decent chance of getting stabbed/bitten/bled upon, which ends up with you in the emergency room praying to God you don’t get what that guy has. Worst case, you get killed or maimed by a crackhead.

Thoughts from the fellas? 

Having dealt with the plethora of "town Crackheads" for 20+ years, you did right. UNLESS he truly became confrontational or on the verge of actual battery, there is no reason to get entangled in that sh*t, get bit or something, and have the next couple of hours dealing with PD.

In case of actual physical altercation, my Go-to was just let the guy rush me, bulldog him to the ground, and then just step on his head/neck until PD arrived. Throwing punches or rolling with a guy like that is just dumb.

• Post of the Week 1