Training camp updates: Lazard still stinks

3 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Yeah, not a chance, I guess you havent been reading the reports. 

And just fyi, I booked mark this for when Justin wins a Super Bowl title and SB MVP, probably this year, maybe next year too but at least one of the next 2 years he'll win it.

D52A254C-8902-4F34-B918-DB1E0C30EA37.thumb.jpeg.b3f5708be87f66b9435253ea29f1b240.jpeg

4 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

And just fyi, I booked mark this for when Justin wins a Super Bowl title and SB MVP, probably this year, maybe next year too but at least one of the next 2 years he'll win it.

Uh Huh Yes GIF

8 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

JustinFudge you are a funny guy.  I guess Fields could theoretically win a Super Bowl holding a clipboard watching a rejuvenated Russell Wilson

I remember when Justin Fudge was a funny guy for predicting that Lamar Jackson was going to win the MVP again this season....

and oh wow, looksee 

I always win, Rich.  Be prepared. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think it’s highly problematic that Douglas has been here for six years, has spent a ton of resources on OL, and the final, workable, presumably best result of that effort is two old veteran tackles on small, one-year deals, a free agent guard that the Ravens tossed, and two relatively super-high draft picks at center and guard. Not the ideal way to build an OL, especially when that’s supposed to be your niche as a talent evaluator. To counter @Mogglez, Becton didn’t flop because of injuries. Becton flopped because he’s a dog. Because Becton was a dog, it necessitated giving a shot Duane Brown $20 million dollars. He paid Connor McGovern and McGovern was roughly as good as Ryan Kalil. And he doesn’t get a pass on AVT because he traded up to draft a guard in the top ten and that guard now has shoulder and knee issues and they have to decide on his $16 million dollar fifth year option after the season, and he’s probably going to be a one-contract player here. 

A few counters to your counter:

- Becton’s failure was injury based because he was constantly overweight and not conditioning properly.  I acknowledge that, agree with it, and labeled him a bust because of these reasons.  We’re in agreement here.

- AVT was not drafted in the top 10, they picked up his 5th year option, and barring another season ending injury, will probably get locked up with a 2nd contract that protects the team in the event of future injuries, but also pays him handsomely (in line with the market) if he stays healthy.  I would use the Tyron Smith contract as a reference.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I remember when Justin Fudge was a funny guy for predicting that Lamar Jackson was going to win the MVP again this season....

and oh wow, looksee 

I always win, Rich.  Be prepared. 

I don’t recall ever arguing anything regarding Lamar Jackson with you but go hold up your trophy because Justin Fields ain’t winning one for you

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

But a 24 year old RB in his final year is at his peak, a 28 year old is a couple of years removed from his peak.

When you are dealing with 4th and 5th rounders you are hoping they have a peak. 

Besides, I think you are looking at it backwards.  If your RB is hitting FA @24 you don't have him for his peak.  If he is 28, you controlled him until he was washed.

On 5/29/2024 at 7:10 PM, Matt39 said:

This really has nothing to do with this report, but my concern with Fashanu is I’m worried the Jets just went with the consensus without really digging enough on him as a prospect especially compared to the other tackles who went after. And the fact he “fell.” I liked both of the Polynesian kids especially the guy who Pittsburgh drafted. And their history of drafting well compared to the Jets is just another hmm. Of course they swiped Jones last year too. Fashanu just from a first impression, I don’t know if he has that nastiness you need.

If it makes you feel any better, Fashanu's performance in OTAs looks very much the way Brick did.  It took Brick three seasons before he stopped making technical mistakes.  LT is challenge to learn even for the best of them.  Few of the LT's that became pro bowlers did so in the first season.  In the last 20 years, only two rookie LTs made pro bowl.  Rashawn Slater and Jake Long.  Even Anthony Munoz had his struggles early on.  I remember Gastineau schooling him his rookie year. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I don’t recall ever arguing anything regarding Lamar Jackson with you but go hold up your trophy because Justin Fields ain’t winning one for you

oh just you wait, sir.  I always win, it's almost at the point where if you have to wonder, would it even happen if I didnt say it?  Oracle sh*t bro.  I'm it.

Sit back, relax, dont stress about it.  We'll have a good laugh when the Steelers start 0-3, put in Fields and eventually are playing the 49'ers in the Super Bowl.  You'll love me more than you do today.

• WTF? 1

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

When you are dealing with 4th and 5th rounders you are hoping they have a peak. 

Besides, I think you are looking at it backwards.  If your RB is hitting FA @24 you don't have him for his peak.  If he is 28, you controlled him until he was washed.

I believe 23-26 are peak years for RBs. At the age of 28, there is little tread left on the tire.

26 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Why did you get yourself involved?  You know this always works in my favor.

trolling is in my nature

honestly just having fun.

no idea what to expect from Fields/Wilson this year

I will say that the early tea leaves suggest Wilson is the favorite to the start the season - but that means nothing past the first few games. 

On 5/29/2024 at 9:07 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

So, so glad we won those meaningless December/January games.  Again.

Announcing Bill Murray GIF

So glad folks overreact to May OTA reports on a rookie.

Also glad folks harp on draft position when dynasties and semi dynasties draft last/near last while perennially contending for a Super Bowl.

Unless it’s a truly elite QB you miss out on from winning meaningless games late or maybe - maybe - a handful of other great non QBs like a Nick Bosa - it doesn’t matter where you draft in the first round. There are high quality players throughout the draft. Which winning programs find & develop like an assembly line. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

well he has changed his name a few times these past few years so you might have argued with him but didnt know it was him..lol

2 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Also glad folks harp on draft position when dynasties and semi dynasties draft last/near last while perennially contending for a Super Bowl.

Unless it’s a truly elite QB you miss out on from winning meaningless games late or maybe - maybe - a handful of other great non QBs like a Nick Bosa - it doesn’t matter where you draft in the first round. There are high quality players throughout the draft. Which winning programs find & develop like an assembly line. 

Keep telling yourself that.  If you're going to have a failure of a season, its better to pick high.  Not just for your 1st round pick but ALL your picks.  Nothing good comes out of winning December/January games in a lost season.  Nothing. 

Meanwhile, we have tangible evidence that BAD things have resulted for this franchise when it occurs.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ulrich said:

It's still better to pick higher than lower. The picks have a value attached to them - if you trade the 3rd overall pick, it will always be worth more than the 10th overall pick. Always

We are saying 3 comes before 10 and you are saying "yeah, but 3 is good enough." Maybe so - but 3 still comes before 10. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

trolling is in my nature

honestly just having fun.

no idea what to expect from Fields/Wilson this year

I will say that the early tea leaves suggest Wilson is the favorite to the start the season - but that means nothing past the first few games. 

Jim and Pat were saying yesterday that they are hearing the intent with Fields is to just use him in the slash role. They think they should give him a shot to be the QB but sounds like that is not in the cards.

12 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Jim and Pat were saying yesterday that they are hearing the intent with Fields is to just use him in the slash role. They think they should give him a shot to be the QB but sounds like that is not in the cards.

He will catch the winning TD to win the Superbowl! Book it!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

It's still better to pick higher than lower. The picks have a value attached to them - if you trade the 3rd overall pick, it will always be worth more than the 10th overall pick. Always

We are saying 3 comes before 10 and you are saying "yeah, but 3 is good enough." Maybe so - but 3 still comes before 10. 

nyjets-playtowinthegame.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Keep telling yourself that.  If you're going to have a failure of a season, its better to pick high.  Not just for your 1st round pick but ALL your picks.  Nothing good comes out of winning December/January games in a lost season.  Nothing. 

Meanwhile, we have tangible evidence that BAD things have resulted for this franchise when it occurs.

Send in the tanks! 

tanks.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nothing good comes out of winning December/January games in a lost season.  Nothing

There was nothing romantic about the snowstorm that arrived at the end. The field was slush. The stadium was 70% empty. He and Kraft passed on the field and didn't acknowledge each other. Not even a nod. The Jets -- whom Belichick hated so much that for a stretch he didn't list his time there on his official bio -- dominated the entire game and won, ending a fifteen-game losing streak to Belichick. The cameras swarmed as Belichick walked across the field with his face covered by a mask and a hood up. He looked down. Most fans left early to beat the traffic; he gave neither a wave nor a nod to those who stayed to thank him.

image.thumb.jpeg.5295848054eb7a0df887eefe9906fa36.jpeg

I beg to differ.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

There was nothing romantic about the snowstorm that arrived at the end. The field was slush. The stadium was 70% empty. He and Kraft passed on the field and didn't acknowledge each other. Not even a nod. The Jets -- whom Belichick hated so much that for a stretch he didn't list his time there on his official bio -- dominated the entire game and won, ending a fifteen-game losing streak to Belichick. The cameras swarmed as Belichick walked across the field with his face covered by a mask and a hood up. He looked down. Most fans left early to beat the traffic; he gave neither a wave nor a nod to those who stayed to thank him.

image.thumb.jpeg.5295848054eb7a0df887eefe9906fa36.jpeg

I beg to differ.

I definitely enjoyed that win and couldn't help but smile. 

The win that pissed me off was the Commanders win. We blew a 20 point lead and basically choked the game away only to win on a long FG. It almost felt like a loss, anyway. Would have been nice to lose that one. 

• Upvote 3

While he’s not dynamic like Wilson and Williams, Lazard is a good run blocker and will see a lot of reps especially on running downs. 

I just watched the Breece highlights from last season on 1JD and Lazard was mentioned in several of the runs for his blocks. 

33 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I definitely enjoyed that win and couldn't help but smile. 

The win that pissed me off was the Commanders win. We blew a 20 point lead and basically choked the game away only to win on a long FG. It almost felt like a loss, anyway. Would have been nice to lose that one. 

I agree with this, although I generally am in the camp that if you’re not in the market for a QB a few slots of draft position means very little.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I agree with this, although I generally am in the camp that if you’re not in the market for a QB a few slots of draft position means very little.

If Odunze is great, especially early, we’re going to have nobody to blame but ourselves.

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If you’re not in the market for a QB, you can trade the pick to a team that is for a great price. 

Draft capital matters.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you’re not in the market for a QB, you can trade the pick to a team that is for a great price. 

Draft capital matters.

I agree draft capital matters. Losing every game you play matters too.

I’ll never agree that the team is actually “better off” if this young core we’re relying on turtles and gets their sh*t pushed in every week.

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Odunze is great, especially early, we’re going to have nobody to blame but ourselves.

Maybe. I wanted Odunze.

But maybe Tyron Williams plays four games and Fashanu saves the season.

Advocating for deliberate failure is tough to make work — we were stating Trevor Siemien for Christ’s sake. Kinda nice that the roster was too good to lose every game.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I agree draft capital matters. Losing every game you play matters too.

I’ll never agree that the team is actually “better off” if this young core we’re relying on turtles and gets their sh*t pushed in every week.

lol, losing those games late mean next to nothing.  The vets on the team (even the youngish ones) are already thinking about the offseason regardless.  We've been through this before.  There's no positive carryover impact.  Only tangible negatives.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol, losing those games late mean next to nothing.  The vets on the team (even the youngish ones) are already thinking about the offseason regardless.  We've been through this before.  There's no positive carryover impact.  Only tangible negatives.

Don’t buy this. If you’re finishing a season with like 7 or 8 consecutive losses it means your team ******* sucks and/or quit on you.

The idea that “doesn’t matter” for he following year is divorced from reality.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1