Becton moving to guard for Philly

On 6/6/2024 at 5:14 PM, #27TheDominator said:

The next James Farrior!!!!

Loving T0m is a very messy proposition.  Plus, you'd better arm youself because you cannot count on him to protect you from crackheads!

So Becton getting a starting job on the NFL’s best or second best offensive line is jets fans “owning” him?

Man. Prior to that draft I said here he would be a bust, not just because of his size but because it was clear the work ethic clearly wasn't there (He ONLY decided to get serious about training and weight control the year before the NFL Draft), he was used to pushing guys half his size around, and he would get frustrated... and that his weight and top-heavy build would catch up to him. Had no idea he would flame out THAT fast, though... the problems really started with the injury. He became a victim in his own mind. Worried more about blame than getting through rehab. Weight problems, attitude problems.... kid is fragile-minded and unable to be accountable for his own problems or improve. Coming back from Injury at 400+ pounds and blaming the JETS for moving his fat ass? Please. Able to stay on the field for a few games and its the "point at knee and make Manzel Money gesture"? Stupid. Become almost unplayable and statistically the WORST LT in the league to end his stint with the Jets? Not great, Mek.

He'll eat his way out of the league within 18 months and will spend the rest of his life griping and bitter about how the "Jets f*cked him over and ruined HIS life". 

Have fun being a backup guard for a year, Mr. "I AM A LEFT TACKLE". You're welcome for the Millions of dollars in sunk cost for barely 2 years of on-field play. I hope you save and invest it wisely.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

So Becton getting a starting job on the NFL’s best or second best offensive line is jets fans “owning” him?

Whoa, who said anywhere that Becton has a starting job?

Right now he's backing up at both guard and tackle, and is making backup money. 

The Iggles' starting guards are - and are expected to be - Dickerson and last year's day-2 pick Steen, unless the latter looks awful this summer.

They also added Scharping after adding Becton, which also came after drafting two day-3 interior OLmen this April. 

• Sympathy 1

On 6/6/2024 at 12:32 PM, ARodJetsFan said:

Give him a few games at Guard (if he doesn't get hurt first) and he'll be crying to the media again, about how he's a Left Tackle!!!!

I think he’s been humbled at this point. He didn’t think he had to work hard to be a pro. Hes now playing on a short deal when he probably expected to be making 20m plus a year. He has to know that he’s one or two bad seasons away from being out of the league. If that doesn’t wake him up, nothing will.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

I think he’s been humbled at this point. He didn’t think he had to work hard to be a pro. Hes now playing on a short deal when he probably expected to be making 20m plus a year. He has to know that he’s one or two bad seasons away from being out of the league. If that doesn’t wake him up, nothing will.

I think that's what happened exactly.

No doubt - at least until he hit the wall in the 2nd half of the season. He was ok in the first half: a couple wow plays, a couple bad ones, but mostly nothing noteworthy, which is probably fine for a LT who isn't making elite money. 

It was surely a rude awakening for him when 32 teams passed on offering him $10MM/year (never mind $15-20MM) which he was surely hoping to get. Not just $10-20MM, but a guaranteed starting tackle job at that. He ended up with none of it. He got just under $3MM guaranteed, and as or right now he's a backup G/T. 

I think with at least mediocre play he could still bounce around as a backup G/T for 3-5 more years. It's not that no one else is as bad a tackle as Becton; it's that most of those underperforming so just aren't given all the starter snaps. 

It wouldn't speak well of him from a maturity standpoint, but he's human, so it's also possible that he still had such a grudge towards this coaching staff & franchise that his effort here wouldn't reach its ceiling. He's got obvious talent, plus there aren't a lot of guys who can move well at his size either. And yeah, throw in the extreme likelihood that he's going to an upgraded OL (and offense in general) coaching situation compared to the Jets, too.

He should take away the starting job that's Steen's heading into camp. We'll see if he does, or if they're just happier with him as a swing tackle for the year. 

• Upvote 1

If Becton turns into a good guard in this league I'm not going to be happy!  I said from day 1 that this guy should be a guard. Im sure a lot of us said just that. Maybe Becton was just being a turd and didn't want to play guard for the Jets cause he is a left tackle or maybe the Jets other tackles were so bad that Becton was their best tackle even though he sucked. Either way I always thought he had offensive guard written all over him. All of this could of been avoided if Douglas would of just drafted Tristan Wirfs. Why in the world did he draft Becton over Wirfs - who's recommendation was that?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Nixhead said:

If Becton turns into a good guard in this league I'm not going to be happy! 

There’s been like 6 players in the entire history of this godforsaken franchise who sucked here but ended up good elsewhere.

I think you’ll be just fine.  

7 hours ago, Nixhead said:

If Becton turns into a good guard in this league I'm not going to be happy!  I said from day 1 that this guy should be a guard. Im sure a lot of us said just that. Maybe Becton was just being a turd and didn't want to play guard for the Jets cause he is a left tackle or maybe the Jets other tackles were so bad that Becton was their best tackle even though he sucked. Either way I always thought he had offensive guard written all over him. All of this could of been avoided if Douglas would of just drafted Tristan Wirfs. Why in the world did he draft Becton over Wirfs - who's recommendation was that?

Becton had something to say about it - publicly, even after missing the prior two seasons - when they were merely moving him to RT, but still nonetheless keeping him at tackle. 

The only reason he was drafted in the first place was to play LT. They lost both the prior years' tackle starters in FA before the draft, and not wanting to be forced into trusting newly added Fant at LT all season long with no other serious options, that was the position of need.

My impression is there's little to no chance any coach/team in the league in that scenario would've moved him to guard, let alone as a rookie, where he'd never played before.