Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

Just now, jgb said:

It’s exactly on point. We all take steps to protect our own property but in this case plenty of you are all “you should always be able to trust people.” The wallet is always smarter than the mouth.

No one reneged on their word in the Adams scenario.  Adams mucked the works by overstating his worth.  

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No one reneged on their word in the Adams scenario.  Adams mucked the works by overstating his worth.  

Or instead of playing “who’s the bad guy here” (hint: there isn’t one) — GMs should formalize and memorialize their agreements so that there is no reneging or misinterpretations later. You guys are fighting tooth and nail against people who are obviously correct regarding the state of human nature and the need to temper trust in business situations. You’re all so sure Reddick lied — you’re completely proving our point that JD should’ve firmed up that agreement in writing.

• Upvote 1

I was listening to David Canter NFL Agent talking about the Brandon Aiyuk and Haason Reddick situation. Basically saying everything being said is just posturing. He expects talks to start to pick up within the next week or so with Reddick. There is no deadline as yet so no emergency to get it done. If he misses the 1st game and looks like he will miss the 2nd game then fans should be concerned. Explained he probably wants the Hunter, except Hunter was a free agent, Reddick isn’t. So that is where they probably stand. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Do you leave your house unlocked? After all, the vast majority of people aren’t thieves.

I leave my house unlocked.  My house was broken into when i used to lock the doors.  The door they broke down was way more valuable then the TV and took weeks to replace and get hung right.   Total pain in the ass.  

i got a dog instead.  The dog will lick them to death.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I was listening to David Canter NFL Agent talking about the Brandon Aiyuk and Haason Reddick situation. Basically saying everything being said is just posturing. He expects talks to start to pick up within the next week or so with Reddick. There is no deadline as yet so no emergency to get it done. If he misses the 1st game and looks like he will miss the 2nd game then fans should be concerned. Explained he probably wants the Hunter, except Hunter was a free agent, Reddick isn’t. So that is where they probably stand. 

Do you have a link?  Or if a podcast, what was the name?  Not sure I'll listen but sounds like an interesting resource.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Do you have a link?  Or if a podcast, what was the name?  Not sure I'll listen but sounds like an interesting resource.

I don’t, it was on the radio when I was taking my son back to school. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Of course this is what it is. Like 95% of the cases that preceded it that follow the script. It is inevitable. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Claymation said:

At this point, missing the first game is baked-in, IMHO.

21 minutes ago, jgb said:

Or instead of playing “who’s the bad guy here” (hint: there isn’t one) — GMs should formalize and memorialize their agreements so that there is no reneging or misinterpretations later. You guys are fighting tooth and nail against people who are obviously correct regarding the state of human nature and the need to temper trust in business situations. You’re all so sure Reddick lied — you’re completely proving our point that JD should’ve firmed up that agreement in writing.

Rodrick also lied the day he signed his contract obligating himself to terms of that contract.  That included the dollar amount, the guarantees and the rules regarding mandatory camp.  
So yeah I’m dead sure he’s a liar.  And it’s in writing to prove it.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Rodrick also lied the day he signed his contract obligating himself to terms of that contract.  That included the dollar amount, the guarantees and the rules regarding mandatory camp.  
So yeah I’m dead sure he’s a liar.  And it’s in writing to prove it.  

Yeah… that debate has also been done to death. I guess you also believe teams that cut guys with years left on their deals are liars also.

I will stick to this is just how business works and it’s up to everyone to protect their interests as best they can.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Yeah… that debate has also been done to death. I guess you also believe teams that cut guys with years left on their deals are liars also.

I will stick to this is just how business works and it’s up to everyone to protect their interests as best they can.

No, terms of NFL contracts are rarely guaranteed.  Players getting released when they can’t perform is part of the deal.  
It’s the deal their union negotiated 

it is comical reading folks talking about the player breaking his word but ignoring the fact that gms including Joe do this all of the time . If you are going to preach morality, hold the gm to the same standards in fact since a position of authority Joe should be held to a higher standard- as I noted Joe has lied tons of times - I used Adams being a jet for life then trading him as an example . I can give plenty of other examples. In business ,contracts exist for a reason and it is because people can’t be trusted and or  change their minds and one must protect their own interests. Football is a business and multi million dollar deals are not done without contracts - even go buy a car or a house with your word lol nothing is done until you sign the dotted line 

joe knows the importance of contracts and he dropped the ball here by not getting a new deal done in writing - blaming the player is weak sauce especially when Joe is not being held to the same standard- I could pull up tons of quotes Joe made related to players he cut or traded after “ giving his word” about his intentions 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, terms of NFL contracts are rarely guaranteed.  Players getting released when they can’t perform is part of the deal.  
It’s the deal their union negotiated 

Holdouts are also part of the deal. That’s what the fines are — pre-negotiated liquidated damages for when a player exercises his right to withhold services. 

Joe Douglass said the jets would not give up on Becton - what did he do ? He gave up on Becton - Gms lie all the time so don’t sit on your high horse and blame the player when he does it 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

Joe Douglass said the jets would not give up on Becton - what did he do ? He gave up on Becton - Gms lie all the time so don’t sit on your high horse and blame the player when he does it 

The same reason fans turn a player holding out into a moral issue but when a team cuts a player with years left on his deal “oh, that’s just business.”

The good news is these fans don’t have a nefarious motive — they just want to see the players on the field and anything that prevents that must be “wrong.”

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Holdout are also part of the deal. As is the constitution and all relevant laws — all of which agree that an employer cannot enforce specific performance of an employment contract, except in exceedingly rare circumstances, none of which apply here.

Holdouts are not part of the deal.

It’s why he’s being fined every day he misses.  Not because it’s part of the deal and it’s allowed. 
The idea that owners can’t hold players to their basic contract terms; pay, time frame, mandatory camp is totally enforceable.  

Canter went on saying that Free Agents either chase money or they chase rings. Aiyuk wants to be paid as a top 3 WR, but he sure as hell doesn’t want to play in Pitt or NE. That’s why SF are looking to renegotiate the contract now.
20% of his clients are unhappy where they are because of money or playing time. They all want to request a trade. He is the one talking sense to them. 

he kept saying cooler heads prevail.

3 minutes ago, kmnj said:

What did he do?  He paid Becton under the terms of his contract until that contract expired.  Where’s the lie?  How is that sitting on a high horse?  No matter how much you’d like it to be comparable.  
Becton was paid an extra year than was mandatory,  wasn’t he?  

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

The same reason fans turn a player holding out into a moral issue but when a team cuts a player with years left on his deal “oh, that’s just business.”

The good news is these fans don’t have a nefarious motive — they just want to see the players on the field and anything that prevents that must be “wrong.”

It is always odd to me the double standards and I almost always side  with the player who can be cut or traded at anytime - from a fans perspective I want the players to play and help my team win but the reality is they have short windows and need to do what they dem is best for themselves 

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Holdouts are not part of the deal.

It’s why he’s being fined every day he misses.  Not because it’s part of the deal and it’s allowed. 
The idea that owners can’t hold players to their basic contract terms; pay, time frame, mandatory camp is totally enforceable.  

It’s absolutely allowed. No court in the land would enforce specific performance of an NFL contract. It’s the very reason they have fines — again, these are called liquidated damages (you can do this but you have to pay us damages). You can’t force a guy to work for you, contract or no. Exactly the same situation if a team cuts a guy with guaranteed money left — they are allowed to do it, but they gotta pay.

36 minutes ago, jgb said:

At this point, missing the first game is baked-in, IMHO.

Yea it will probably end similarly to the Chris Jones holdout at this point 

or maybe he’ll actually get traded if the Jets can get something/someone they want 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

What did he do?  He paid Becton under the terms of his contract until that contract expired.  Where’s the lie?  How is that sitting on a high horse?  No matter how much you’d like it to be comparable.  
Becton was paid an extra year than was mandatory,  wasn’t he?  

The lie is he said the jets would not give up on Becton , he said Adams will be a jet for life 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Yea it will probably end similarly to the Chris Jones holdout at this point 

or maybe he’ll actually get traded if the Jets can get something/someone they want 

Would be wild if Ol’ Joe could flip him for a profit if some contender has a EDGE injury next 2 weeks…

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

Teams cut players after saying they won’t all if the time 

If a team can say “we don’t want your services anymore,” a player can say “I don’t want to provide you with my services anymore.”

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Holdouts are also part of the deal. That’s what the fines are — pre-negotiated liquidated damages for when a player exercises his right to withhold services. 

LOL, fines are proof players have the right to withhold services?  

Thats a new take on fines.  Here I always thought they were more punishment for violating the terms of their contracts.  Kind of more in line with the literal definition of the word.  

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

LOL, fines are proof players have the right to withhold services?  

Thats a new take on fines.  Here I always thought they were more punishment for violating the terms of their contracts.  Kind of more in line with the literal definition of the word.  

Yes. That is proof. It’s the same reason things in the store have price tags. Otherwise the CBA would say “a player may not withhold services,” which would, of course be unconstitutional.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I looked for them, all morning, couldn’t find them. Lend a fella a hand and pull one (1) of them up for me, willya?

Did that once already @T0mShane, here you go again sir;

Should be easy for you, it's a video you can watch.

Connor Hughes shares what's next after Haason Reddick asks for trade from the Jets (sny.tv)

Now if you want to say that Connor Hughes is a liar, or isn't reputable, ummmm sure, o.k.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

If a team can say “we don’t want your services anymore,” a player can say “I don’t want to provide you with my services anymore.”

Teams break their “word” and promise of employment cutting a player ( it is allowed by the cba rules) but it is not “ morally “ correct to do so

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Teams break their “word” and promise of employment cutting a player ( it is allowed by the cba rules) but it is not “ morally “ correct to do so

Holdouts allowed also, with pre-negotiated financial penalties for doing it. The CBA does not prohibit withholding services for a very good reason — it would violate the United States Constitution.

To be free, a man must be the ultimate master of his own sweat. An entire war was fought over it and everything.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Did that once already @T0mShane, here you go again sir;

Should be easy for you, it's a video you can watch.

Connor Hughes shares what's next after Haason Reddick asks for trade from the Jets (sny.tv)

Now if you want to say that Connor Hughes is a liar, or isn't reputable, ummmm sure, o.k.

If Hasson Reddick was—to quote Hughes here—“willing to play on his current deal and dominate”—he’d still be in Philly. This is Hughes doing clean up for his golf buddies at Florham Park. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

If Hasson Reddick was—to quote Hughes here—“willing to play on his current deal and dominate”—he’d still be in Philly. This is Hughes doing clean up for his golf buddies at Florham Park. 

And even if we took Hughes at face value, people do sometimes change their minds. 

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The prevailing rumor is that Douglas at least implied they’d bump Reddick’s cash this season, and that Douglas was going to do so until Woody Johnson vetoed it. 

"prevailing rumor" wouldn't include Woody being involved. The Jets are very careful to keep that out, even when it happens.  To the best of my knowledge, the jets have never even hinted that Woody makes final call on things other than the Rodgers deal.  FFS, they wouldn't even admit that it was Woody's decision to go get Tebow.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

"prevailing rumor" wouldn't include Woody being involved. The Jets are very careful to keep that out, even when it happens.  To the best of my knowledge, the jets have never even hinted that Woody makes final call on things other than the Rodgersdeal.  FFS, they wouldn't even admit that it was Woody's decision to go get Tebow.

I wonder what kind of CDAs are in NFL front office employee contracts.