Jeff Ulbrich

I have a feeling this is his last season with us and he gets a HC job somewhere. Which is great for him.

Who do you think takes over as DC if this does happen after this season?

In house top candidates would be…..

Secondary Coach and defensive assistant Tony Oden: has our secondary as one of the best units in the nfl. Not just getting elite play out of elite talents like sauce. But developed MC2 into arguably one of the best Nickels in the nfl as well as CBs 4-6 showing to be talent most years. I think he’s the favorite bc he’s the defensive assistant as well as secondary coach.

LB Coach Mike Rutenberg: pretty impressive what he’s done with Quincy as well as seeing really the whole LB group look like NFL starters. Whoever gets cut by us will get picked up. Hes actually who I want as the next DC. But I think Oden gets it over him just bc of experience. Even though Mike has 15 years coaching. He’s a NY guy as well.

DLine Coach Aaron Whitecotton: has had our DLine a top group for a bit now. He’s been with us since 2021 as well. Not saying it’s easy to get top talent to look great. But Q is elite and he has something to do with that. And in reality he has bottom end guys fighting for spots every year looking like for sure nfl talent. Same as above… guys he’s helped develop will get grabbed by other teams.

• Bobby816 changed the title to Jeff Ulbrich
1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Ok, but we try to have politics on the board, that’s all. It always ends badly. 

Oh, my bad. I saw a couple of Trump animated gifs in recent days and figured something like this would be ok. Won't do it again.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I have a feeling this is his last season with us and he gets a HC job somewhere.

I have never once heard his named floated as a Head Coach candidate so far.

Doesn't mean he won't be one if the Jets put up a third-strait top 10 Defense in 2024.

But I just haven't heard his name being floated by anyone as a near-term HC hire candidate.

Maybe local NY media has, I don't know.

Ulbrich will need to leave after this season one way or the other.  

DCs are not the preferred HCs.  Tougher for him because he works for a defensive HC.  He needs to work for an offensive HC if he does not get the HC job.  

Depends. If the current regime stays (and I'm mainly talking about Saleh because I have a feeling JD will stick around), then Oden seems to be a shoo-in. After that, of course you have to look at the D-line coach b/c that's where it all starts for the Jets defense. 

If Saleh is fired (which could very well happen if this season is a disaster). Then the new coach will obviously bring in his own guy.

I also think there's a chance that Ulbrich decides to stick for one more season if the Jets make a run this year. It's hard to leave something really special knowing full well you will have plenty of opportunities after giving it one more shot no matter what. Will he really want to go to a bottom dweller NOW as a head coach rather than wait one more year for a chance at a SB? Knowing that he will most likely still get that same HC opportunity the following year? Tough call.  

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

Ulbrich will need to leave after this season one way or the other.

Why? If there are no real HC opportunities and the Jets have a great season with their defense leading the way why would he leave? Like, what are you basing this on? 

4 hours ago, PepPep said:

Why? If there are no real HC opportunities and the Jets have a great season with their defense leading the way why would he leave? Like, what are you basing this on? 

Mike Pettine ended up leaving the Jets as DC under Rex Ryan.  He got a HC job, but ultimately they both flopped.  

8 hours ago, juxsta said:

Hopefully he does get a head coaching gig and doesn't leave at the same time.

Well, it'll be tough unless it's Saleh who wants to leave. Otherwise if the team does poorly they don't typically promote from within.

Never say never, but it's a lot more likely if he does get promoted to HC it's for a new team, and if he doesn't it's because the D didn't look so hot this season.

Only way he becomes the Jets' HC is if there's another repeat of the defense being among the league's best, the offense is a weekly turd after injuries like before, and again they miss the playoffs because the offense can't score points.