My take on Joe Douglas, and his future with the Jets.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I didn’t say that you “can’t” screw up two top ten picks, but the pro-Douglas case currently rests on having drafted Sauce and Garrett and trading for Aaron Rodgers which, ya know, not exactly Bill Walsh level stuff there

How about MC II, does that qualify for Bill Walsh level Stuff.

Bryce Huff?

Your boy Mike White? 

DJ Reed

Quincy Williams

JFM

Outside of Mike White they are all good players. And they were all found under a rock.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I think that there are a lot of parts to answer your question.  My feelings on the effectiveness of a GM:

1. Identifying the needs of the team in the short term and long term.  

In the short term, this roster appears to be loaded.  Nothing more to be said here.  In the long term, I think you have to look at key positions on the team.  QB- I love the guy we just drafted this year,  and at least for me, believe that Rodgers may very well play another year after this one.  I like what JD said about drafting a QB each and every year, to have a real pipeline at QB.  We won't know about Travis until next year, but I'm hopeful, and believe that JD will not repeat the mistake he made with drafting a QB like Zach in the future. O line:  The key position here is left tackle, and we should have Olu here for the next decade.  Tippman is a youngster, and should solidify the center position for years to come.  Simpson is back after this year at left guard, and is a young player.  Wide receiver:  After Wilson, we have question marks for the future after this year, IMO.  On defense, we have some young players at every level; players that I believe will be prt of this team for years to come.  

2.  Handling the Salary Cap

If you look at the salary cap for each NFL team, the Jets are in the 5th best place for total CAP for 2025.  And that is saying something, since the Jets roster is loaded for this year.

I believe that JD has made some bad decision in the past, but has turned this around for the positive.  After this season, I think the Jets will have lots of room to resign key players, and have no terrible contracts to be saddled with on the books.  The arrow is pointing up for JD in this area.  Many aging players are on 1 year deals, so nothing to complain about.  

3. Drafting quality players and finding talent in the Undrafted market, as well as other teams castoffs.  

You can say this is a mixed bag for JD, but I think that JD has done a quality job in the recent past.  I still can't believe how only 3 years ago, he managed to draft with his first 4 players, 4 pro-bowl players.  Sauce, Wilson, Johnson and Breece Hall.  This draft has helped transform this team.  Quincy Williams was a cast off, and is now one of the very best young linebackers in the NFL.  Not to mention we just kept 3 Undrafted players to make our 2024 roster on the D line.  That is really great work.  JD Reed was a player that JD brought on, and he is one of the young best DBs in the NFL to play opposite Sauce.  We brought on a Undrafted kick returner that we were going to cut, but were able to trade him for draft capital to the Bills.  All very good work IMO.

4.  Trades

For me, I love JD with his trades.  Jamal Adams will go down as one of the best trades the Jets have ever made in their history.  Aaron Rodgers-  we will be able to answer this question after the season.

I am a fan of who JD is now as a GM.  Again, he has made many mistakes, but for me, the arrow is pointing way up on Joe Douglas.

I disagree with the notion that the Jets are in the 5th best place in terms of salary cap for 2025. It may look that way, but that's deceiving because it doesn't take into consideration that the Jets have 5 core players that need to be extended: G. Wilson, Sauce, JJ, Breece and MC II, nor does it take into consideration that they're going to have 19 UFAs and RFAs.

These players will be FAs in 2025 ( 10 starters, and 7 top backups).

Hassan Reddick  - starting Edge (if he ever shows up and plays)

Mike Williams - #2 WR (who will replace him?)

T. Smith - starting LT (thankfully, can be replaced by Fashanu)

M. Moses - starting RT (who will replace him?)

DJ Reed  - starting 2nd CB (who thankfully can be replaced by one of JBC and Stiggers)

MC II - starting slot CB and one of the best slot CBs in the NFL

Tony Adams - starting S (RFA)

Tyler Conklin  - starting TE (who will replace him?)

Javon Kinlaw (starting NT) hopefully replaced by Taylor or a draft pick)

Chuck Clark - starting S (who will replace him?)

Solomon Thomas (top backup for Q) (who will replace him?)

Ashtyn Davis (key STer and top backup at S - he wants to start)

Jamien Sherwood - top backup for Moselely (he probably wants to start somewhere)

Brandon Echols - top CB backup and STer (he probably wants to start somewhere)

Wes Schweitzer - top IOL backup

Takk McKinley - backup Edge who could be a key player this season

Xavier Newman-Johnson - backup IOL (RFA)

Leki Fotu (backup NT)

Malik Taylor - may have been the #6 WR on the roster this season

Kenny Yeboah - good STer and #3 TE

Chazz Surratt - Backup LB and good STer (RFA)

Irvin Charles  - key STer (RFA)

Isaiah Oliver - backup S

Why hasn't MC II already been extended?  Has Woody forbidden it due to being unsure about JD's future, or is this another JD mistake, and MC II will wind up walking?

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

the reasons are simple

the players on the roster Joe put together and his hand picked coach did not play well enough with win games or execute well enough to win games

If he gets to the playoffs that means he has achieved positive results and the team is heading in the correct direction-an extension is warranted then-if he fails to get to the playoffs it would mean another year with poor results and he should be terminated

So simple you’re wrong.  
Curious, after Rodgers went down, which coach available would have won without Rodgers at QB.  Just curious since it’s Salehs fault.  

I will give Saleh credit for the defensive coaching staff he has assembled and for the job they do in developing the players that JD brings in. 

I also must credit JD for bringing high-character players who love the game, who work hard, and who have each others' backs. That was important last year when Rodgers went down after 4 plays, and the QB play was mostly mediocre or much worse.  The team as a whole or individual players could have quit immediately or started mailing it in as the season progressed, but with the possible exception of Lazard, they didn't.  They kept fighting, giving their best and sticking together.  I think that adversity will make them better and stronger this season.

• Upvote 1

I keep JD he screwed up on QB but the roster is stable and talented for first time in a decade if Saleh can't win with this roster they need to hire a coach. The last 2  GMs were horrible the roster was in shambles but this time around the team has a solid roster so to change another GM isn't going to fix this falls squarely on coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Bryce Huff?

Your boy Mike White? 

DJ Reed

Quincy Williams

JFM

Outside of Mike White they are all good players. And they were all found under a rock.

I'd add to that JBC who was a 6th-round draft pick, MC II who was a 5th-round draft pick, and this year Taylor, McGregor, and Watts.  and Takk McKinley looks rejuvenated.

Also, Swilling, Malone and Key all looked pretty good this season, .  We'll see whether these 3 develop and if Taylor, McGregor and Watts continue to develop and contribute.

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So simple you’re wrong.  
Curious, after Rodgers went down, which coach available would have won without Rodgers at QB.  Just curious since it’s Salehs fault.  

Good coaches find ways to win look at Parcells had he went to Ray Lucas sooner they might made the playoffs Belichick won with Cassel Shula used Scott Mitchell good coaches find ways to win.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

My point is, my 8 year old nephew would have picked both sauce and Garrett just by using the cheat sheet mock draft charts. Easy to make top 10 picks because your so bad every yr you get could draft positions. There were a lot of red flags for becton that JD ignored. That all seem to come true.. JD loved Zach, and rumors have been Saleh wanted to keep darnold and trade the 2 overall for picks. 

I agree , they have to be held accountable now. No more excuses. 

What were those lot of red flags with Becton?  He had no injury history.  He was dominant.  His movement was great at 335.  He had a feisty attitude and would bury LBs and DBs.  He was great at getting to the 2nd level.  I watched as many games as I could, read everything I could find on him, and never heard about a "lot of red flags."  IMO that's nonsense.

3 hours ago, Alka said:

Great answer!  By the way, the last time Tyron Smith played in all 16 games of the season was in 2015.  That is 9 years ago!!

In 2016:  13 games played

2017       13 games played

2018       13 games played

2019        13 games played

2020        2 games played

2021         11 games played

2022          4 games played

2023         13 games played

Unless my math is wrong, the Jets will play 17 games this season.  The last time Tyron played in more than 13 games is 9 years ago.

Which means that for at least 4 games, we need to play another Offensive Left Tackle that will keep Aaron Rodgers upright.

Drafting Olu was not only the correct move, it was the smart move!  I have said it over and over again well before the draft.  And oh, by the way, Morgan Moses missed more than several games last year with injuries.  Putting Olu at right tackle if we need him, is not a bad move.

The only problem with this is that we only have Olu do to dumb luck.  JD was bound and determined to trade up for one of Nabers and Odunze and was going to ignore OT, at least until the 3rd round.  He might have been able to draft an OT there that could be developed if we had a good OL Coach (which I'm not sure that we do), but that OT would have been little or no help this season.  It would have been Mitchell or Warren at LT, and as soon as Smith went down with injury, Rodgers would have gone down and then Taylor in quick succession, and the season would have been over.  That cannot and should not be glossed over and ignored.  Not only would it have sabotaged this season, but the next 1-3 seasons if they weren't able to find two viable starting OTs in the draft next year.  That shows a basic lack of understanding of roster building, or what the team's needs were, and shows that he is delusional if he though Warren and Mitchell could handle LT when Smith went down. It's like he learned nothing from the previous 2-3 seasons of Jets' OL injuries and wretch OL play.

He not only deserves to be fired for something that stupid, but publicly ridiculed and embarrassed, maybe even publicly flogged.

6 hours ago, rangerous said:

Not that I think Douglas isn’t a good gm, but good teams develop their talent.  I think this falls mainly on the head coach.  True that some players brought in on offense haven’t panned out but I think their failure lies mainly with saleh and his offensive staff.  IMO they were set back by having both saleh and milfy at the same time.  I would not mind seeing Ulbrich getting the hc job if saleh gets launched.

I agree that the offensive coaching staff is not nearly good enough. They haven't done a good job of developing players, but there are a number of new offensive coaches that Saleh didn't hire initially.  The problem is Hackett, and I think quite possibly the QB Coach.  I'm not certain about the WR, OL and RB Coach, also thought it appears as if the latter is doing a good job with Allen, Davis, Abanikanda, and even Valladay.

If Saleh is fired, I hope that the Jets retain Ulbrich as DC, but I don't want him as HC.  The NFL is an offensive league.  The Jets are still trying to win with defense.  The only two offensive HCs they've had in the last two decades are Richie Kotite and Adam Gase, and neither one of them should have even been considered for the HC job. It's time the Jets hire a former OC who has a track record with handling and/or developing young QBs and hopefully is creative.  If he isn't really creative, hopefully, he will hire a young creative OC who will not just copy and paste and offensive scheme and try to shoehorn players into it, but will pick or create a scheme that matches the talent of the young QB they draft and the players they have on offense, and hopefully, it won't be some complicated offense that takes 3 years to learn and begin mastering.  Enough with the former DCs. It hasn't worked and the offense has been continually ignored.

One of the definitions of insanity is continuing to do things the same way and expecting a different outcome.

6 hours ago, slats said:

Joe Douglas is managing the team like a GM who expects to be here next year. He traded away a fourth rounder this year for a third in 2025. He hasn’t succumbed to the pressure to buy himself success this year. The moves he’s made have both upgraded the roster and maintained the long term financial stability and maneuverability of the franchise. I’d’ve extended him already, but I do expect him back. If not, some other team will fire their GM just to scoop him up. 

I agree that he has done a good job of balancing the present and the future, and hasn't sold out in an effort to try and save his job.  If he had, that should have sealed his fate.

The thing is however, that he almost screwed the pooch with the Jets 1st round draft pick this year.  Trading up for a WR and not having a competent backup for Smith and Moses, nor having a young OT on the roster who was a capable starter for next season would have been insanity, and total incompetence.

I don't think a GM who would make a dumbass move like that deserves an extension.  He should be a lame duck and should have to answer questions as to why he would even consider doing something that stupid.  In addition, every move that he wanted to make during his lame duck year would have to be run by the owner.  Of course in the Jets' situation,  Woody is a dumbass and he wouldn't know what a dumb move would be.  That's why he needs to hire a VP of Football Operations who is a quality, experienced football man who wouldn't allow such a dumbass move as JD wanted to make in the draft this year or going into last season with Brown, Becton, Warren, Mitchell and Turner his OTs, not to mention all of the other dumbass bad moves that he has made.

7 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I agree that the offensive coaching staff is not nearly good enough. They haven't done a good job of developing players, but there are a number of new offensive coaches that Saleh didn't hire initially.  The problem is Hackett, and I think quite possibly the QB Coach.  I'm not certain about the WR, OL and RB Coach, also thought it appears as if the latter is doing a good job with Allen, Davis, Abanikanda, and even Valladay.

If Saleh is fired, I hope that the Jets retain Ulbrich as DC, but I don't want him as HC.  The NFL is an offensive league.  The Jets are still trying to win with defense.  The only two offensive HCs they've had in the last two decades are Richie Kotite and Adam Gase, and neither one of them should have even been considered for the HC job. It's time the Jets hire a former OC who has a track record with handling and/or developing young QBs and hopefully is creative.  If he isn't really creative, hopefully, he will hire a young creative OC who will not just copy and paste and offensive scheme and try to shoehorn players into it, but will pick or create a scheme that matches the talent of the young QB they draft and the players they have on offense, and hopefully, it won't be some complicated offense that takes 3 years to learn and begin mastering.  Enough with the former DCs. It hasn't worked and the offense has been continually ignored.

One of the definitions of insanity is continuing to do things the same way and expecting a different outcome.

fair points.  i think this problem predates hackett so it lands firmly on saleh, milfy and the previous offensive coaches.  we'll see soon enough if hackett can do the job with a healthy rodgers and oline.  as for ulbrich, i know so many people want an offensive minded head coach.  i think it's too simplistic.  parcells and bellichicken were both defensive coaches.  as were shula and landry.  i believe noll was too.  so it's not like defensive minded head coaches can't succeed.  they just need, like any head coach, a firm grasp of how the game is played.  parcells and bellichicken were masters of the rules.  guys like rex, not so much.  i think ulbrich would be really capable of directing an offense against his defense.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I'd add to that JBC who was a 6th-round draft pick, MC II who was a 5th-round draft pick, and this year Taylor, McGregor, and Watts.  and Takk McKinley looks rejuvenated.

THEY’VE DONE NOTHING. ZERO THINGS.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Bryce Huff?

Your boy Mike White? 

DJ Reed

Quincy Williams

JFM

I’m glad you mentioned MCII because it highlights a luxury that Joe Douglas currently enjoys because he’s mostly sucked as a GM here, especially early on: he hasn’t had to hand out big money deals to his draftees because the vast majority of his draftees have sucked. The hard part for Big Joe is yet to come: when he has to build a roster with a ton of salary constraints because guys like Sauce, Wilson, Breece, MCII etc are on their second contracts. As of now, he’s had to give AVT his fifth year option at $14 mil. But who else has he had to pay? Ashtyn Davis? And yet he’s sitting on one of the highest cash expenditures in the sport with a week $6 mil in cap space because he’s plugging a bunch of holes with aging veteran free agents. It’s not good, and it’s about to get a lot harder. 

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m glad you mentioned MCII because it highlights a luxury that Joe Douglas currently enjoys because he’s mostly sucked as a GM here, especially early on: he hasn’t had to hand out big money deals to his draftees because the vast majority of his draftees have sucked. The hard part for Big Joe is yet to come: when he has to build a roster with a ton of salary constraints because guys like Sauce, Wilson, Breece, MCII etc are on their second contracts. As of now, he’s had to give AVT his fifth year option at $14 mil. But who else has he had to pay? Ashtyn Davis? And yet he’s sitting on one of the highest cash expenditures in the sport with a week $6 mil in cap space because he’s plugging a bunch of holes with aging veteran free agents. It’s not good, and it’s about to get a lot harder. 

To be clear-eyed, he is under the weight of about $53M in dead cap this year that disappears next year.  In fact, the Jets have the 5th most cap room in 2025 at the moment (with about $60M in effective cap space, give or take a few based on actual cap growth).  And they will need every dollar of it.

For laughs...the Saints are $95M over the cap in 2025.

• Upvote 1

To be clear-eyed, he is under the weight of about $53M in dead cap this year that disappears next year.  In fact, the Jets have the 5th most cap room in 2025 at the moment (with about $60M in effective cap space, give or take a few based on actual cap growth).  And they will need every dollar of it.
Garrett, Sauce and Cool Breeze loom large.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The hard part? So he finds talents, and there is a harder part? Signing players that deserve it to a 2nd contract is a good problem to have. Oh, they have 65 million in cap space next year to sign them, that's before the annual cap increase and restructuring contracts or letting players like Lazard walk.

He has found UDFAs, late round finds and other teams cast-offs to round out their roster. I don't see why that trend can't continue to find these inexpensive talent to offset paying stars like Garrett and Sauce.

5 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Fourth year? It’s year 5 1/2. If we are counting 5 full off seasons and 2019 as a half year since he wasn’t here for draft and free agency. I think people forget how long it’s actually been. The biggest issue with JD is that he preached sustainable success but after some huge misses and huge hits, there’s no consistency or sustainability. The roster the last 2 years are “all in” rosters. That’s not what he preached at all and it’s not overly impressive considering Tannenbaum was able to do that. We were told for years sustainable success like the Ravens and other great teams and he has fallen incredibly short of that.

On top of that, the W-L record is atrocious. He can’t be crowned for anything without the wins and going “all in” is not a good long term strategy. I get that the rosters have looked loaded on paper these last 2 years but he is responsible for the glaring holes or the lack of backup QB last year that ruined the season. That’s completely irresponsible. You just can’t give him a pass because of the horrible win % over that period. If he is truly good, the wins will come and you’ll see an obvious turning point.

The problem with the timing is that his contract is up and you can’t commit really long term to this regime based on hope alone or finally having success at the very end of a long 4-5 1/2 years (Saleh and JD’s tenures). Unfortunately I do see 4 year extensions but that only happens if they actually win. They(JD) cannot be extended until later in the year AFTER the playoffs have been locked up and that’s 100% on them for taking so long to not suck. I think they and Woody are on the same page about this and they don’t want to minimize their value by resigning early. It would be smart to hit Woody for $ when he’s happy with the winning and attention. 

I’m fine with going all in it at this point. This fanbase and team needs some success but I would never trust him long term. He has shown some great traits but more terrible than great, which is reflected in the record. Context is very important when looking at the entire picture with JD. I see through this regime and wouldn’t hitch my wagon to them but that’s just one creep’s opinion. I won’t be responding since I’m busy. 

Good post with a number of good points.  It points out about where I am with JD.

The roster the last two years haven't really been "all in." IMO JD has done a good job of balancing the present season and the future.  If he was truly "all in" this season, he would have put the team in cap hell by extending Reddick, and by signing Justin Simmons at S back during FA, and possibly another 1-2 veterans.  There wouldn't be 3 UDFAs on the roster.  He may have even traded some of our draft picks this year for players.  Last season, he would have ensured that he had a healthy starting LT.  He would have traded up in the draft or traded for an LT.  He wouldn't have counted on Rodgers staying healthy, especially with Brown and Becton not being totally health/trustworthy.  He would have brought in a viable backup QB that could save the season, and Zach would have been on the bench or traded/released.  The fact that he didn't do all of that, is a positive in his favor.

It has taken him a long time to build a roster that's really capable of making some noise in the playoffs.  He is mostly to blame for that, but the fact is that he has, in spite of more than a little bad luck with injuries and FAs playing subpar for the Jets.  The problem is that the Jets have 10 starters who will be FAs next offseason and 6-7 top backups who also be FAs.  This comes at the same time as needing to extend MC II, Sauce, G. Wilson, JJ, and Breece, as well as any of the starters and top backups who are slated to become FAs.  Will he be able to keep everyone that the team wants to keep?  Even if he is, will the team wind up in cap hell?  How he handles that should determine whether he gets extended and for how long.  If the team flops this season, he shouldn't even get the chance to handle next offseason as it is critical for the team's future.  If handled correctly, with the exception of the QB position, the team will be set for stability and being competitive for the forseeable future.  Rodgers and Taylor may play next year, but what happens after that?  Does JD deserve a 2nd chance at drafting a potential franchise QB?  With some of the truly dumb decisions/mistakes that he's made, I don't know that I'd trust him to handle next season well or to draft another young QB.  Without major changes in the team's offensive coaching staff, it likely wouldn't matter anyway, as there's no one there who is capable of developing a young QB.  If the team makes the playoff games this season and wins a couple of playoff games, then I think he probably deserves a short-term extension, a chance to maintain the players that he added to the roster, and to have a second chance at getting a QB.  I wouldn't offer anything more than 2 years, however, and if he didn't accept it, then that's on him.  If the team winds up not making the playoffs this year due to injuries or a poor job by Saleh (lack of discipline, stupid penalties, the team not being ready to play, poor game and clock management), then I would be hard-pressed to let JD have a 2nd chance at hiring a CS.  If the D plays extremely well, but the offense doesn't, then I think I'd find out what JD's ideas were about improving the offensive staff for next season.  If Hackett, Carter and others who needed to go were to be replaced, I'd want to know by whom, and also find out whether Ulbrich and the defensive would stay if Saleh were fired.  Even though I think the Jets need a HC who is a former OC, I'd be willing to consider making Ulbrich HC if he hired experienced, quality OC, OL Coach, and QB Coach.  Hopefully Middleton would stay, and maybe Dews.  I'm not sure about Jefferson, but lean towards keeping him as well.

I don't think giving JD a long-term extension (4 or more years) at this point would be wise, as I just don't trust him not to make more big, dumb mistakes.  Context is important, and hope alone is not enough.  Hopefully, this season provides some clear answers.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, nycdan said:

You're correct that they will need every dollar of it, with MC II, Sauce, Breece, G. Wilson, and JJ needing extending, not to mention they will have 10 starters (including MC II) and 7 top backups scheduled to hit FA.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

THEY’VE DONE NOTHING. ZERO THINGS.

MC II has done nothing? Interesting.  JBC didn't get a chance to last season because he was injured, but he will get his chances, as will Stiggers, Corley, Allen, Davis, and the rest.

52 minutes ago, rangerous said:

fair points.  i think this problem predates hackett so it lands firmly on saleh, milfy and the previous offensive coaches.  we'll see soon enough if hackett can do the job with a healthy rodgers and oline.  as for ulbrich, i know so many people want an offensive minded head coach.  i think it's too simplistic.  parcells and bellichicken were both defensive coaches.  as were shula and landry.  i believe noll was too.  so it's not like defensive minded head coaches can't succeed.  they just need, like any head coach, a firm grasp of how the game is played.  parcells and bellichicken were masters of the rules.  guys like rex, not so much.  i think ulbrich would be really capable of directing an offense against his defense.

I never said that defensive-minded HCs can't succeed.  The difference between those guys were that they were smart enough to know that they needed offense, and the NFL was different then.  We're in a new era in the NFL, the era of the QB and offense.  We had one of the top 2 Ds in the NFL last year, that may have prevented the Jets from losing even more games, but it didn't help them win more than 7 games out of a 17 game schedule.  Defensive coaches want to focus on their D, and they want the GM to focus on D.  The Jets have gone the former defensive coach route with Herm, Mangini, Rex, Bowles, and now Saleh.  It's time to try something different.  No more failed/awful former offensive coaches like Kotite and Gase.  They've hired first-time head coaches who were defensive coaches since Parcells (including Groh).  Gase was the only former offensive coach during that span.  There are good young offensive minds out there.  The Jets need a 21st century offense, not a 20th century offense.  They need someone who sets the trends, not follows the pack.  They need someone who will be true to their name and their history, that of a high-flying, aggressive aerial attack.  No first-time defensive coach is going to do that.  If Ulbrich did that, he would be the first and an anomaly.  If he promised to do that, I would give him a chance with the understanding that if he were lying or changed his mind and went into his defensive, conservative shell that he would be fired during the season.  I don't think he'd accept the job under those circumstances.

the only and main thing i hold against JD is sticking with Wilson when it was clear he was not the guy. he sank 2 years of elite defenses just to not admit the mistake with Wilson. that is a serious lack of good judgement and inability to admit a mistake. i can live with everything else.