Jets restructure Quincy Williams and Tyler Conkin contracts

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

All teams are doing this.

CAP COMPLIANCE, END OF RULE OF 51 – At 12:00 a.m. on the Thursday, September 5th this year, the Rule of 51 expires and teams must have all players – 53-man roster, IR, PUP, PS – fit under the Cap. So, from that point forward, the team would have to count the 53 players on the active roster + anyone that starts the season on IR/PUP + 16 PS players under the Cap. This means that a minimum of 69 players will count against the Cap as of the beginning of the season.

Thank you for clarifying for me @C Mart very much appreciated.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Jets made it clear they will not negotiate with terrorists If they do it makes them look bad for not getting this deal done sooner and they have egg all over their faces. Let him Rot until he reports. He's not a Jet, he's never played for the Jets, and the only way I would have taken his side in this was if he played for us and was actually doing positive things as a Jet. ROT

We (JD) has egg on his face if Reddick doesn't play too. 

All this principled "don't pay him" stuff is great, but it doesn't help us win games on the field.

I, for one, care more about winning that this staring contest between JD and Reddick.

If Reddick is a stud, and will help us win, and will be a better pass rusher than the guys we have (which literally everyone here claimed he would when we traded for him), then JD needs to get him on the field. 

Pride goeth before the fall.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

All this principled "don't pay him" stuff is great, but it doesn't help us win games on the field.

I, for one, care more about winning that this staring contest between JD and Reddick.

If Reddick is a stud, and will help us win, and will be a better pass rusher than the guys we have (which literally everyone here claimed he would when we traded for him), then JD needs to get him on the field. 

If Reddick provides more to the team overall than a 2026 3rd would the trade is a win.  If he doesn't it's a loss.  There is more to not paying Reddick than just "pride."  You can't pretend to have rules and principles if you give up on them every time things get tough.  The optics of this whole thing have been fairly terrible from the start.  Thing is, I'm pretty sure this tubby mother****er has egg on his face every morning at breakfast.  I think he can handle it.  I certainly hope so.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Welcome!  It could still mean something gets done w/Reddick but I see on twitter this week that most teams are redoing/restructuring contracts

Makes a lot of sense for these teams to get cap compliant prior to the first game. I can see Reddick signing as well too many variables for him not to show up and keep losing almost a Mil a game. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Falco21 said:

One doesn't have anything to do with the other. Both will be on the field 

Yeah Adams in Las Vegas and Reddick maybe here.  If JD even seriously considers trading for Adams, he should be fired on the spot.  I love Adams, and would love to have him, but unless JD could work a miracle, trading for him would mean that we'd wind up losing some of the Fab Four and most of our other FAs over the next 2 years.

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If Reddick provides more to the team overall than a 2026 3rd would the trade is a win.  If he doesn't it's a loss.  There is more to not paying Reddick than just "pride."  You can't pretend to have rules and principles if you give up on them every time things get tough.  The optics of this whole thing have been fairly terrible from the start.  Thing is, I'm pretty sure this tubby mother****er has egg on his face every morning at breakfast.  I think he can handle it.  I certainly hope so.

Every team gives in.  The 49'ers, a real Super Bowl contender in 2024, just gave in to both the WR and Trent Williams.  It happens.

Again, all I care about is putting the best team on the field.  I don't care about Woody's money, or the Cap in 2024 or similar.  

This forum told me Reddick was an absolute beast as pass rush, in ways we haven't had for ages.  I want that on the field week 1, the fact it isn't is an unforced error on our part.  Figure it out, and win on Monday.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Every team gives in.  The 49'ers, a real Super Bowl contender in 2024, just gave in to both the WR and Trent Williams.  It happens.

Again, all I care about is putting the best team on the field.  I don't care about Woody's money, or the Cap in 2024 or similar.  

This forum told me Reddick was an absolute beast as pass rush, in ways we haven't had for ages.  I want that on the field week 1, the fact it isn't is an unforced error on our part.  Figure it out, and win on Monday.

Bah.  

The 49ers did it so it must be right?  Do we have to rehash the whole Trey Lance thing again?  The 49ers are an excellent team.  It does not mean every move they make should be copied.  They are in a different position than the Jets and Ayiuk and Trent Williams mean much more to them than Reddick does to the Jets.   The whole "putting the best team on the field" thing is nice, but some moves are made for the future and I would like there to be one.  The cap in 2024 isn't the issue.  The issue is 2025 and beyond.

Reddick is a great pass rusher.  The board convinced you we haven't had a beast like that in ages?  I thought the board was saying that we would be lucky if he could replace the irreplaceable Bryce Huff?  

Reddick not being on the field is an unforced error?  They could have just not traded for him and few would be complaining.  Huff leaving and moving JFM were moves expected this offseason for a couple of years.  Trading for Reddick was a risk.  So far, they are on the losing end of that, but time will tell and week 1 will not be the determining factor.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Jets made it clear they will not negotiate with terrorists If they do it makes them look bad for not getting this deal done sooner and they have egg all over their faces. Let him Rot until he reports. He's not a Jet, he's never played for the Jets, and the only way I would have taken his side in this was if he played for us and was actually doing positive things as a Jet. ROT

d1449b2d-d465-4004-960d-57e841217897_text.gif

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think it was made very clear by JD dont show up and at least show some damn interest in the team or no talks . Reddick chose the idiot route and now he's going to be paying for it. I 100% back JD on this issue and Im also sure reporting was discussed from day 1. Reddick could have told the Jets at the time of the trade I will not be reporting until a deal was done and I think at that stage The Jets would have moved on. Instead he went along with this deal then tried to hold the team hostage a team he never played for. Screw him let him lose paychecks until him and his agents grow some damn brains.  This was a sucm bag move by Reddick 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Aiyuk signed the deal that was on the table for a month, and Williams got just enough new money to cover his fines for holding out. The 49ers didn’t cave, the players caved. Reddick would be wise to, too. 

Especially since the guy never played for us and agreed to the trade.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Aiyuk signed the deal that was on the table for a month, and Williams got just enough new money to cover his fines for holding out. The 49ers didn’t cave, the players caved. Reddick would be wise to, too. 

He would.

So would we.

Too many of you think you're the teams Cap Manager, or Woody's personal accountant, as opposed to being a Fan who wants the best team on the field.  JMO.

To me, JD makes some well planned moves without long term financial risk. I think he just knows how to manage a roster really well.

The Jets have a real good roster right now, some would say the deepest in 20-25 years.

For example:

The Jets are top 5 in both Cap Space AND Players under contract in 2025 & 2026. Also 4th least dead cap hits in 2025. Not to mention basically a full slate of draft picks each of those years. No other team in the league is structured that way right now. 

Zero.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, slats said:

The 49ers didn’t cave

Except they did with Williams.  Hem and haw all you like, he got most of what he wanted.  

Stop worrying about money.  Start worrying about winning.

It would not be good policy to just bend over.

You know what's worse policy?  Losing.  

The same fans who think JD did too much for Rodgers are now complaining we’re not doing enough for Reddick.

JD made the trade.  It's on him and him alone to get the player on the field.  Blaming fans is stupid.

But that’s all he should do, if that. 

He "should" do what it takes to win.  Nothing less.

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Except they did with Williams.  Hem and haw all you like, he got most of what he wanted.  

Stop worrying about money.  Start worrying about winning.

You know what's worse policy?  Losing.  

JD made the trade.  It's on him and him alone to get the player on the field.  Blaming fans is stupid.

He "should" do what it takes to win.  Nothing less.

You've gone full Fidelio. Never go full Fidelio.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Were you not here when we ****ed our cap and had to sit through a bunch of mediocre sh*t and dump quality players because of it?  I don't want a rehash of it.  Sticking your head in the sand about financial realities of the NFL and saying you want to put the best team on the field does not make you noble.  It makes you silly.  You know, they probably could have traded the next few year's 1st rounders and added a WR that would help today.   They didn't because next year is coming and so is the year after that.

Calvin Ridley is an excellent example. Would he have made the team better? Absolutely. Should the Jets have outbid the Titans for him? Absolutely not. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Were you not here when we ****ed our cap and had to sit through a bunch of mediocre sh*t and dump quality players because of it?

I was here.  Previous GM's piss poor management does not mean this situation today would recreate it.  You have no idea what their cap situation is or isn't.  Even the supposed fan-experts don't really, truly know.  It's a stupid minutia some fans get obsessed over, nothing more.

Sticking your head in the sand about financial realities of the NFL and saying you want to put the best team on the field does not make you noble.

Here is a reality:  We're better with Reddick than without, and winning in what is CLEARLY a "win now" situation trumps a little pain a few years from now.  Fact is, failure to win means JD won't have to worry about the cap in future years, lol.

You know, they probably could have traded the next few year's 1st rounders and added a WR that would help today. 

Equivocating between a made-up hypothetical, and a guy they actually chose to trade for....is pretty silly. 

Worse, if they refuse to give in because the player is holding out instead of holding "in", makes this all doubly silly.   

They didn't because next year is coming and so is the year after that.

If our Cap is a problem, look no further than Aaron Rodgers for that problem.  That ship sailed the day JD traded for him.

Or that every player worth resigning to big money was taken in a single draft, lol.  

End of the day, I want to win more than I want to pretend I'm some kind of salary cap expert projecting future cap needs.  But yall do you I guess, Capologists.

• Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Bah.  

The 49ers did it so it must be right?  Do we have to rehash the whole Trey Lance thing again?  The 49ers are an excellent team.  It does not mean every move they make should be copied.  They are in a different position than the Jets and Ayiuk and Trent Williams mean much more to them than Reddick does to the Jets.   The whole "putting the best team on the field" thing is nice, but some moves are made for the future and I would like there to be one.  The cap in 2024 isn't the issue.  The issue is 2025 and beyond.

Reddick is a great pass rusher.  The board convinced you we haven't had a beast like that in ages?  I thought the board was saying that we would be lucky if he could replace the irreplaceable Bryce Huff?  

Reddick not being on the field is an unforced error?  They could have just not traded for him and few would be complaining.  Huff leaving and moving JFM were moves expected this offseason for a couple of years.  Trading for Reddick was a risk.  So far, they are on the losing end of that, but time will tell and week 1 will not be the determining factor.  

• Trey Lance is another example of the QB conundrum.  Scouts have a hard time with QBs.  With the way the rookie contracts work, if you can find a good rookie contract, even for a year or two, it can transform a franchise.  So teams take chances on Wilson and Lance.   Jordan Love worked out.  Josh Allen worked out.   Others don't.
  • This Reddick situation is just bad.  I don't see it ending well, but I could see Reddick putting in the minimum time, getting paid whatever he gets paid, and then waiting for next year.  
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I was here.  Previous GM's piss poor management does not mean this situation today would recreate it.  You have no idea what their cap situation is or isn't.  Even the supposed fan-experts don't really, truly know.  It's a stupid minutia some fans get obsessed over, nothing more.

Here is a reality:  We're better with Reddick than without, and winning in what is CLEARLY a "win now" situation trumps a little pain a few years from now.  Fact is, failure to win means JD won't have to worry about the cap in future years, lol.

Equivocating between a made-up hypothetical, and a guy they actually chose to trade for....is pretty silly. 

Worse, if they refuse to give in because the player is holding out instead of holding "in", makes this all doubly silly.   

If our Cap is a problem, look no further than Aaron Rodgers for that problem.That ship sailed the day JD traded for him.

Or that every player worth resigning to big money was taken in a single draft, lol.  

End of the day, I want to win more than I want to pretend I'm some kind of salary cap expert projecting future cap needs.  But yall do you I guess, Capologists.

“If our Cap is a problem, look no further than Aaron Rodgers for that problem.“

You mean the guy that took a pay cut to help with the cap?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If our Cap is a problem, look no further than Aaron Rodgers for that problem.  That ship sailed the day JD traded for him.

Basically, we are at the point of agree to disagree.  If you think cap management is something that no fans can understand, I wholeheartedly disagree.  The fact that "every player wroth resigning to big money was in a single draft" is an issue and it is all the more the reason why caving to Reddick would be a mistake.   I am willing to be that at least part of the issue is how much you believe Reddick will make compared to what I think.  

They gave up a far future 3rd for Reddick.  Yes, they traded for him, but on a fairly low one year deal.  What it would take to get him in is also hypothetical.  When you saying "do what you have to" to get him in, you don't have any certainty of what that is, but you don't care because you "want the best team on the field."

18 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • Trey Lance is another example of the QB conundrum.  Scouts have a hard time with QBs.  With the way the rookie contracts work, if you can find a good rookie contract, even for a year or two, it can transform a franchise.  So teams take chances on Wilson and Lance.   Jordan Love worked out.  Josh Allen worked out.   Others don't.
  • This Reddick situation is just bad.  I don't see it ending well, but I could see Reddick putting in the minimum time, getting paid whatever he gets paid, and then waiting for next year.  

Yep.  I'm not so sure that Jordan Love really worked out from a financial standpoint.  They literally got one year out of him before they had to pony up.  $55M a year with $160M guaranteed?  I don't see that as "transformational."  Especially when Warfish is complaining that Rodgers is the reason for any cap woes.  I think the difference between what they are paying Rodgers this year and what Reddick gets if he came in on the current deal is less than they are paying Isaiah Oliver.

33 minutes ago, slats said:

NFL salary information is widely and easily available to anyone interested in looking at it. I don’t claim to be an expert, I’m just more interested than you are and, as a result, better informed. 😉

You're spouting uninformed outsider opinions online, just like everyone else slats.  Don't flatter yourself now.  You're no more better informed than anyone else outside of the organization, and the idea you think "salary information is available online" makes you in any way informed just proves the point.  If only it were that simplistic.  

• Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Milo1735 said:

“If our Cap is a problem, look no further than Aaron Rodgers for that problem.“

You mean the guy that took a pay cut to help with the cap?

How kind of him.  Remind me, what is his cap hit the next few years again?

Also, he did not take an actual cut in pay.  He won't get a dollar less than he was supposed to get.  He allowed the team to better manage the cap hit (he was due to be a spectacular amount in 24 before the reneg.), but he did not reduce his net pay at the end of the day.  Some of the pay was converted to a roster bonus and paid out, and option years added to allow the total cost to be spread over extra years.  The media gets this wrong every single time they report on so-called "pay cuts" players take.  Most of the time, it's not a cut, but a immediate new bonus of some kind, and extra years to spread the total out.

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You're spouting uninformed outsider opinions online, just like everyone else slats.  Don't flatter yourself now.  You're no more better informed than anyone else outside of the organization, and the idea you think "salary information is available online" makes you in any way informed just proves the point.  If only it were that simplistic.  

Sorry Buddy, but you’re out of your depth here by your own choosing. There’s enough info available for any lay person to become an expert, and it’s not even hard to find. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Warfish said:

How kind of him.  Remind me, what is his cap hit the next few years again?

Also, he did not take an actual cut in pay.  He won't get a dollar less than he was supposed to get.  He allowed the team to better manage the cap hit (he was due to be a spectacular amount in 24 before the reneg.), but he did not reduce his net pay at the end of the day.  Some of the pay was converted to a roster bonus and paid out, and option years added to allow the total cost to be spread over extra years.  The media gets this wrong every single time they report on so-called "pay cuts" players take.  Most of the time, it's not a cut, but an immediate new bonus of some kind, and extra years to spread the total out.

See? Here’s an example of being willfully ignorant. Players take actual pay cuts all the time. Carl Lawson took a nice one last year. Rodgers gave up over $30M in guaranteed money when he “restructured” his contract here. It was a massive give back. 

I’m curious, though, how you can have any opinion on the matter at all, though, when you don’t believe anyone can know. 

• Upvote 2