For Crying Out Loud, It's the Offense

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Part of why they "barely had the ball" was their own inability to do anything with it when they had it.

Drive #1:  3 and Out
Drive #2:  1 play, Lost Fumble
Drive #3:  12 play, 70 Yard Drive, Rushing TD.  
Drive #4:  3 and Out
Drive #5:  3 and Out
Drive #6:  Kneeldown with 4 second Left to end Half
Drive #7:  3 plays, Interception
Drive #8:  5 play, 70 Yard Drive, Passing TD (only took less than 2 min. off the clock)
Drive #9:  6 plays, 26 yard drive, failed 4th down turnover on downs at midfield.
Drive #10:  12 play, 70 Yard Drive, Passing TD by Tyrod Taylor in late trash time.

6 out of 10 possessions were either 3 and outs or a turnover in 3 or less plays.  That's not on the Defense.

Over the first 7 drives, well into the late 3rd quarter, the Jets Offense had possessed the ball 8 times, and only done anything with it twice, one of which was a VERY short (time-wise) possession.

We had the ball plenty.  We just mostly didn't do anything with it when we had it.  This number of 3 and Outs and Under 3 play turnovers is more of what a Zach Wilson offense looked like, as opposed to anything resembling an Aaron Rodgers led offense.

So like I said above, the Offense was mostly horrible, but it's skating primarily because the Defense was just pathetic, no pass rush, no run stopping, no pass coverage, and no playmakers at all Monday night.  

But be assured, the O has a TON to prove come week 2 vs. Tenn.

Its a little more nuanced than that. The way we go three and out and had two turn overs is a lot different than it was last year. 

You can compare the stats of Week 1 Arod vs Week 1 Z Wilson and they look similar, but anyone watching the game knows it was completely different. Arod was the best player on the field yesterday, and the Oline was the best unit.  

It was a brutal game for fans, but really nothing to over reach to yet. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Playing starters in the preseason has become a no win situation.  If someone goes down you’re killed.  Come out flat and you’re killed.  

If I was the coach and had the injury history of this team, I would sit my starters too.  

It’s a little bit of a double edged sword.  I remember in 2000 Al Groh had a tough camp and played everyone in the preseason.  He pissed off alot of the vets like Vinny and Mawae but we did start off 4-0 only to finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs 

8 scoring drives in a row. That unacceptable for any professional team, let alone one that has a top ranked defense.

The offense wasn’t great, but unlike last year it was the offense that gave the team small chances to come back, not the defense.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Ulrich said:

When is the last time the Jets offense has carried this team? 2015? Even then the Jets defense was stout led by the ferocious Sons of Anarchy pass rush.

So everyone’s bitching about the defensive performance last night? Fair enough but wtf about that pathetic offensive output? Seven points heading in to half time - wow, great job Aaron & can’t Hackett!

Rodgers & Hackett seemingly rolled out a scheme I feared they would. Unimaginative, vanilla fear ball. Leading to constant 2nd & 3rd longs - as usual with this putrid offense under Saleh.

Where was the creativity, the aggression? Where was any semblance of attacking verticality until it was too late? You have Aaron f—cking Rodgers yet you keep him on a leash?

Niners scored on 8 straight drives? How about the offense keep up with them? If not score for score, then enough scoring to keep the game within legitimate striking distance entering the 4th quarter?

For crying out loud, overrated as it is Jets defense has absolutely carried this team the past two seasons. The Jets would have like 6ish wins total during that span if not for the defense.

No, last night’s shellacking was very much an on the offense, too. In an offensive league that unit more than any other will determine the Jets’ fate as a whole. It’s only one week, but because the offense has been so awful they don’t get the benefit of the doubt. Light up the scoreboard, average 27ish ppg, and put up or shut up beginning Sunday.

Weird take, dude.  The offense couldn't get on the field.  The 9ers literally got the ball and held it for 2/3rds of the game because our d couldn't get a single stop.  I don't even think they punted once.  You blame the offense for that?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 9/10/2024 at 9:34 PM, Ulrich said:

When is the last time the Jets offense has carried this team? 2015? Even then the Jets defense was stout led by the ferocious Sons of Anarchy pass rush.

So everyone’s bitching about the defensive performance last night? Fair enough but wtf about that pathetic offensive output? Seven points heading in to half time - wow, great job Aaron & can’t Hackett!

Rodgers & Hackett seemingly rolled out a scheme I feared they would. Unimaginative, vanilla fear ball. Leading to constant 2nd & 3rd longs - as usual with this putrid offense under Saleh.

Where was the creativity, the aggression? Where was any semblance of attacking verticality until it was too late? You have Aaron f—cking Rodgers yet you keep him on a leash?

Niners scored on 8 straight drives? How about the offense keep up with them? If not score for score, then enough scoring to keep the game within legitimate striking distance entering the 4th quarter?

For crying out loud, overrated as it is Jets defense has absolutely carried this team the past two seasons. The Jets would have like 6ish wins total during that span if not for the defense.

No, last night’s shellacking was very much an on the offense, too. In an offensive league that unit more than any other will determine the Jets’ fate as a whole. It’s only one week, but because the offense has been so awful they don’t get the benefit of the doubt. Light up the scoreboard, average 27ish ppg, and put up or shut up beginning Sunday.

The Jets defense could not get off the field and gave up numerous scoring drives in a row  . If we would have stopped a few drives early this could have been a game but we didn't, not once. At one point in the third quarter I think the Jets had 4 Possessions total in the game so just like it was on the offense the past 4 years this game was on the defense.

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2024 at 7:31 AM, Augustiniak said:

The jets had 5 drives not including the last one with seconds left.  They scored on 1 drive . Worse, in those 5 drives, they only got a first down on one - the touchdown drive. So 4 out of 5 drives went 3 and out.  If they had scored on another drive that game is much closer at the half. 

We must have watched a different game. I saw three touchdowns by an offense that only had a few drives and was sitting on the sideline most of the game. Look at time of possession. That's on the D. You can't sit for 20 minutes and then stay in rhythm. 

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

We must have watched a different game. I saw three touchdowns by an offense that only had a few drives and was sitting on the sideline most of the game. Look at time of possession. That's on the D. You can't sit for 20 minutes and then stay in rhythm. 

In the first half, the jets had 5 drives.  One was a td, the rest were 3 and out.  It’s in the box score.  If they had scored on another drive it’s 16-10 or 16-14 at the half.  The first drive of the 2nd half was an Interception.  The jets didn’t get into double digits until there was almost a minute left in the 3rd quarter.  

Rodgers in these interviews this week keeps mentioning that the OL kept him upright and he had time to throw and keeps mentioning that the running game MISSED SOME TARGET POINTS!!! Sounds like Breece was missing some holes the OL maybe created.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Rodgers in these interviews this week keeps mentioning that the OL kept him upright and he had time to throw and keeps mentioning that the running game MISSED SOME TARGET POINTS!!! Sounds like Breece was missing some holes the OL maybe created.

seems like the 9ers, the team that's been in multiple super bowls the past few years, knows how to stop the run

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

seems like the 9ers, the team that's been in multiple super bowls the past few years, knows how to stop the run

That's not addressing that I mention that AR is stating multiple times that we missed target points in the run game. That's not saying hats off to SF D. Which has been said. We all know they're a good team.

It's me addressing that he seems to think Breece missed holes perhaps. And has brought it up multiple times.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That's not addressing that I mention that AR is stating multiple times that we missed target points in the run game. That's not saying hats off to SF D. Which has been said. We all know they're a good team.

It's me addressing that he seems to think Breece missed holes perhaps. And has brought it up multiple times.

if breece missed a few lanes, ok, but still that offense was awfully predictable and it seemed the 9ers were on him quickly

On 9/10/2024 at 10:34 PM, Ulrich said:

Yes. This.  The offense does not have to carry the team, but when the defense can not do their usual stellar job, the offense has to be charged to score points.  

Clearly, the 49'ers had the horses on offense to push the Jets defense around.  We all know the Jets defense is built to stop the pass.   It's a solid way to staff and run a defense in today's pass happy NFL.  What we saw in the 9'ers game was an offense of Norman cavalry vs. a defensive stable of My Little Pony.  However, when the Jets go against an offense that can run power and out-leverage the Jets defense, it is up to the Jets offense to put up some points.  As bad as the Jets defense got pushed around, they did not lose the game by a massive spread.  If the offense was dynamic, they could have overcome.  

They have Rodgers and all the new beef for the offensive line.  

Score points with it. 

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Yes. This.  The offense does not have to carry the team, but when the defense can not do their usual stellar job, the offense has to be charged to score points.  

Clearly, the 49'ers had the horses on offense to push the Jets defense around.  We all know the Jets defense is built to stop the pass.   It's a solid way to staff and run a defense in today's pass happy NFL.  What we saw in the 9'ers game was an offense of Norman cavalry vs. a defensive stable of My Little Pony.  However, when the Jets go against an offense that can run power and out-leverage the Jets defense, it is up to the Jets offense to put up some points.  As bad as the Jets defense got pushed around, they did not lose the game by a massive spread.  If the offense was dynamic, they could have overcome.  

They have Rodgers and all the new beef for the offensive line.  

Score points with it. 

even good defenses have bad days and you need to put up 30+ to win.  the jets never understood this.  you didn't get rodgers to win 20-17, you got him to win 30-17

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

even good defenses have bad days and you need to put up 30+ to win.  the jets never understood this.  you didn't get rodgers to win 20-17, you got him to win 30-17

I get your point (the NFL has changed the rules to promote high scoring -- it's what they want), but the top offense in the NFL last year barely cracked 30.0 ppg (Dallas)

Typically the #1 offense in the league averages maybe 29 ppg, and SF has one of the better defenses

It's Aaron's first real full game in 2 years.  I'd expect him to be a bit rusty.

Whereas Saleh has no excuse.  None.

On 9/10/2024 at 10:34 PM, Ulrich said:

I'm not saying the offense has no part in this. They were not up to snuff, particularly when it came to creativity and aggression as you said. Some nice timing routes from Wilson/Rodgers kept us in some drives, and obviously a few chunk plays by Lazard. I think the passing game will be okay, particularly once Williams (and hopefully Corley) are up to speed. We'll see if they use it properly. The run game was abysmal but the Niners do have damn good defenders. 

Really though, the defense was truly the primary culprit. 8 straight scoring drives allowed, most of them very long, draining, possession heavy drives. The niners dominated time on the ball. The offense could have scored on every possession after the first touchdown and still may have lost, because the niners were doing the same thing. That's when you can truly blame the D. When the offense is facing a constant deficit and can't get in a rhythm due to waiting entire quarters to get back on the field, you can only criticize them so much. 

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I get your point (the NFL has changed the rules to promote high scoring -- it's what they want), but the top offense in the NFL last year barely cracked 30.0 ppg (Dallas)

Typically the #1 offense in the league averages maybe 29 ppg, and SF has one of the better defenses

It's Aaron's first real full game in 2 years.  I'd expect him to be a bit rusty.

Whereas Saleh has no excuse.  None.

True, saleh is out of excuses.  And if that’s the best thing to come out of this season then i guess there’s that for a silver lining.

but, to my point, if you average 23 ppg, sometimes you score 16, sometimes you score 30.  And when your d craps the bed you need to score more.  In any event I’m looking forward to the next month of games b/c we’ll know if saleh is staying or going. 

On 9/11/2024 at 8:23 AM, Matt39 said:

It’s the entire operation. They don’t take training camp seriously. They’ll gaslight you with the 10 extra reps they took each practice, but guys were getting days off left and right etc. it’s not a surprise they couldn’t block or tackle on Monday.

I blame this on Zach Wilson and being in Utah all summer