Jets Titans observations

12 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

He wasn't in preseason against poor teams' scrubs.  He was getting pushed around in the run game.  What makes you think he would be good vs the starters of better teams?

He actually played really well in the final pre-season game.

That said, I think playing with our starting defense would open up opportunities for him to make plays.

'Unblockable' Leonard Taylor III Dominates Jets-Giants Game (heavy.com)

Per the ESPN box score, Taylor finished the game with 1.5 sacks and a tackle for loss.

9 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Here’s my observation: they should count their lucky stars that Levis plays hero ball, not QB. 
100 total yards of penalties…again. Meanwhile our cheerleader head coach stares into the abyss.

Rogers’ adjusting to go to a quick pass offence won us the game.

Game after game, I’m becoming more convinced that Saleh’s incompetence is the only component that’s holding back this team. He doesn’t hold his players accountable for anything, personal foul-wise.

If we had a REAL HC of the NYJ, this team is talented enough to make lots of noise this year.IMG_5121.jpeg.58b7cb9cb3d2fe92d66f6b682d12eda3.jpeg

I agree that we need a real, competent HC, but Pete Carroll isn't the answer as HC.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Quincy has been a real head-scratcher (in a good way).

A mid-round pick afterthought, spent time on IR & then got outright released by the team that took him, and was picked up on waivers. Then was meh here for a year even while it was really enjoying to see him going all-out every play it was too often over-pursuit or outright in the wrong direction.

Then he became a serious playmaker AFTER getting paid - how often does that happen? - as the neck-up part of the game matched his absolute disgust for the idea of spending any time on the field without running full speed.

Had a bleh game vs SF but so do a lot of players week 1. Settled back down and was great again yesterday.

It's impossible to not love watching him progress into the player he's become. Exciting player who acts like every play he's getting in everything he has because he realizes the ability to do this can (and eventually will) all be taken away from him. Saw early-on how fast he can be put on IR - twice - on top of recognizing no one gets to start on the same side of the ball with his own brother? Deserved eye rolls at this overused cliché aside, he gets it. 

Wish we had ten more just like him. Or even one more, frankly. He's an easy player to absolutely love. 

Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, funaz said:

If the game was reversed we would being saying that the Titans completely dominated us in all phases of the ball.

We would be saying that we were never any threat to win the game at any time.

All of this is true. The jets commanded the game from the onset and it was a great bounce back win. Let’s see how we come out on Thursday.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

The Jets did NOT command the game from the outset.  That's just ridiculous.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

His block sprung Allen on the TD.  Agree his receiving skills are not there yet...

In Ruckert's "Origins", since he was young and through high school, he had a reputation as a receiver. I know that at Ohio St. he wasn't used much as a receiver, but I believe he has the ability.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, doitny said:

hes staring at having the 3rd best least penalized defense in the league with 9.

what do you want him to do? throw his headset down like a little baby. Daboll does that and he will be out of a job by Thanksgiving at this rate. chased away a very good DC in Wink with his antics.

idk man i dont see Andy Ried or Belichick doing cartwheels on the sidelines. not sure what you expect to see when they show him on the sideline.

Bobby Saleh can't carry Andy Reid's or Belichick's jock.  He can't outcoach opposing HCs, and his teams always seem to start games slowly, and commit stupid penalties, so maybe he needs to try something different before he no longer has a HC job in which to try to do thing differently.

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Play your best guys and he deserves a look esp. now with jj out.  Any guy who can create a pass rush is worth something and it’s not as if they’re really stopping the run that well anyway

Taylor isn't one of their best guys.  They could perhaps substitute him in occasionally on 3rd down, and I think that may happen as the season goes on since, it's questionable whether Kinlaw will be back, but right now the Jets are just struggling to win games. It's not the time to panic and play a UDFA over their high-priced FA who is himself a better pass rusher than run stopper.

3 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Bobby Saleh can't carry Andy Reid's or Belichick's jock.  He can't outcoach opposing HCs, and his teams always seem to start games slowly, and commit stupid penalties, so maybe he needs to try something different before he no longer has a HC job in which to try to do thing differently.

He's not as good as two of the all time greats, so he should. . . yell more?   Throw his headset?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

I would play Solomon Thomas on the outside to take up JJ's role.

Play Taylor in Thomas' old role.

I believe that Thomas started out as a DE with SF and his career was almost a bust.  He didn't start playing better until he moved inside. I'm not sure that playing him on the outside would help, nor am I sure that Taylor a UDFA who got pushed around in the run game by the likes of the Commanders, and Giants and Panthers scrubs, is ready to take on better teams' starters.

I like that it's thinking out of the box, and Thomas does have experience playing outside, but I don't think it's time to make that move.  Perhaps as the season progresses, and they either have some wins under their belt, or they continue to get killed by opponents' rushing attacks, they will begin trying something different. 

21 minutes ago, jetfan40yrs said:

In Ruckert's "Origins", since he was young and through high school, he had a reputation as a receiver. I know that at Ohio St. he wasn't used much as a receiver, but I believe he has the ability.

I agree that he has the ability, but he hasn't shown it yet with the Jets.  I know that injuries have set him back some, but I don't understand why he seems to struggle. Maybe it's that the WCO is just too complex for him, and he hasn't learned it well enough yet.  I've read repeatedly that it takes 3 years to learn this offense.

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He's not as good as two of the all time greats, so he should. . . yell more?   Throw his headset?

I didn't say throw his headset, but he needs to perhaps show some fire and passion.  Try getting pissed at his players when they commit a stupid penalty.  Complain vociferously or yell at the referees for blowing calls when his DL are being held.  He's never going to be able to outcoach opponents.  If he wants to win consistently and keep his job, he'd better try something different.

1 minute ago, JKlecko said:

I didn't say throw his headset, but he needs to perhaps show some fire and passion.  Try getting pissed at his players when they commit a stupid penalty.  Complain vociferously or yell at the referees for blowing calls when his DL are being held.  He's never going to be able to outcoach opponents.  If he wants to win consistently and keep his job, he'd better try something different.

I'm not a huge Saleh guy, but he has to be true to himself.  Fake emotion is about the lamest thing a coach can do.  It serves no purpose since the players can see right through it.  I spent the better part of 30 years rolling my eyes at guys like that.   I don't remember this being a thing in the past - there were times that he was so fired up we were worried he wasn't paying attention to things.

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

Who would of thought that Echols is a stronger man than Burks.

Echols could easily have been called for pass interference on this.  He was tackling Burks before the ball even got there.  I'm surprised that it wasn't flagged.

In terms of Echols being stronger than Burks, I don't think he is.  Burks was falling backwards, Echols' left arm was in Burks way, and then he brought it down and had leverage over Burks.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not a huge Saleh guy, but he has to be true to himself.  Fake emotion is about the lamest thing a coach can do.  It serves no purpose since the players can see right through it.  I spent the better part of 30 years rolling my eyes at guys like that.   I don't remember this being a thing in the past - there were times that he was so fired up we were worried he wasn't paying attention to things.

It's not a matter of not being true to himself.  I know and agree that fake emotion is lame and that players can see through it.  When he was with SF as the DC, he had one of his defensive assistant coaches stay right with him and keep him from going the field or going off on officials, so the passion and temper are there.  He's just become too calm, too passive as HC of the Jets.  It's one thing to be a "players' coach," but when your players are getting jobbed by the referees, then he needs to stand up for his players.  JJ shouldn't be continually getting personal fouls for roughing the passer, especially when he is being held much, if not most of the time.

6 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

It's not a matter of not being true to himself.  I know and agree that fake emotion is lame and that players can see through it.  When he was with SF as the DC, he had one of his defensive assistant coaches stay right with him and keep him from going the field or going off on officials, so the passion and temper are there.  He's just become too calm, too passive as HC of the Jets.  It's one thing to be a "players' coach," but when your players are getting jobbed by the referees, then he needs to stand up for his players.  JJ shouldn't be continually getting personal fouls for roughing the passer, especially when he is being held much, if not most of the time.

Agree to disagree.  Maybe he has reigned it in a bit too far, but I don't think going off on refs with passion ever saved a team a personal foul call.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Agree to disagree.  Maybe he has reigned it in a bit too far, but I don't think going off on refs with passion ever saved a team a personal foul call.  

That fine.  No one said we had to agree.  I think he has reigned it in too far. He can file a formal complaint with the league offices over officiating.  He can submit footage of the beatings Zach used to take and footage of the non-penalties that are now being called as penalties against JJ, and point out all the holding by opposing teams' OTs.  As far as we know, he's done and is doing nothing but standing there like a deer in the headlights.

I see Jets fans on twitter arguing this is just hand fighting. It was at one point but clearly evolved to holding. I know Sauce gets a lot of BS for holding from people who just don't understand the rules but this is 100% holding and should have been a flag. Arguing that it is not will only make those voices complaining about things that aren't holding louder.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I see Jets fans on twitter arguing this is just hand fighting. It was at one point but clearly evolved to holding. I know Sauce gets a lot of BS for holding from people who just don't understand the rules but this is 100% holding and should have been a flag. Arguing that it is not will only make those voices complaining about things that aren't holding louder.

I agree that it is holding.  I think Sauce gets away with it, at least in part, because Hopkins it jamming his hand in the facemask before it happens.  Refs seemed to let a decent amount of that stuff go.  There were at least a couple of completions where the Jets receiver was getting mugged and still made the catch, but I didn't see flags.

• Upvote 3

Rewatch the tape of the Irv Charles punt block. Saleh is running down the sideline to congratulate him ... and there's a Jet staff guy trying to hold him back from going on the field.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

That fine.  No one said we had to agree.  I think he has reigned it in too far. He can file a formal complaint with the league offices over officiating.  He can submit footage of the beatings Zach used to take and footage of the non-penalties that are now being called as penalties against JJ, and point out all the holding by opposing teams' OTs.  As far as we know, he's done and is doing nothing but standing there like a deer in the headlights.

FWIW, I am sure the Jets staff is sending cut ups in every week.  Didn't they get apologies from the league twice last year?  I know they got one after the Chiefs game. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree that it is holding.  I think Sauce gets away with it, at least in part, because Hopkins it jamming his hand in the facemask before it happens.  Refs seemed to let a decent amount of that stuff go.  There were at least a couple of completions where the Jets receiver was getting mugged and still made the catch, but I didn't see flags.

yea they were letting the DB's get away with a lot yesterday. Should have been DPI on Breece's TD catch.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Biggs said:

Rodgers was a little bit better than Will Levis this week.  

The disussion in TN is going to look a lot like the discussion around here when Zach was our QB.  

This is correct.  Rodgers has now had 1 good half in 4.  

It's clear he can't move anymore and the few times he's tried he's been woefully inaccurate.  Hitting people in the feet or throwing it far over their heads. 

Sure, he gives us a better chance to win Zach but unless something changes the record is likely to look quite similar.

With all of that said, as he gets more comfortable with the talent around him I expect he'll get better but losing almost all of his athleticism will be tough to overcome.

• Thumb Down 2

14 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

yea they were letting the DB's get away with a lot yesterday. Should have been DPI on Breece's TD catch.

Yeah, but Sauce got away with a lot too.  It would have been very easy to call DPI in the endzone on Sauce on the last drive and in that case the Jets are likely 0-2 right now.

• WTF? 2

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, but Sauce got away with a lot too.  It would have been very easy to call DPI in the endzone on Sauce on the last drive and in that case the Jets are likely 0-2 right now.

I started the conversation with a video of Sauce blatantly holding in the endzone. Why you think the Jets are likely 0-2 if the Titans manage to tie it is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I started the conversation with a video of Sauce blatantly holding in the endzone. Why you think the Jets are likely 0-2 if the Panthers manage to tie it is beyond me.

I think they get a TD from the one and then go for two.  I think it's unlikely they stop the 2 point conversion after giving up the TD.

Didn't say it was a lock they lose but "likely"

image.thumb.png.9ba5db1526625285f284c1aa58cd55eb.png

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

thats fine, but i keep reading how hes doing nothing. or he has this look.

as for penalties we have only 9 on defense thats 3rd best. last year we had 93 on defense thats was 9th best. the year before we had 90 for 12th least. 

so this notion that we have a problem with penalties is wrong.

oh im sorry we take only "stupid" penalties. the other teams take "smart" penalties. lol 

last year Cleveland lead the league with 118 penalties. thats 25 more than us and they had the best defense in the league. oh and their coach is supposed to be soooo goood. the Eagles 107 and Ravens 106 had more too.

i watched 2 Lions games last year, the Dallas game that the stupid HC went for 2 to win and cost them a Home NFCCG and another stupid call that cost them a chance to got to the SB. Daboll just played a injured Kicker and he lost the game because of it. 2 guys who get their balls waxed regularly here. if Saleh did that you guys would drag him out of his office and hang him.

when we only watch Jets games and not all 330 plus games we live in a bubble thinking that stuff only happens to us. ut they happened to everyone even the best teams.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

FWIW, I am sure the Jets staff is sending cut ups in every week.  Didn't they get apologies from the league twice last year?  I know they got one after the Chiefs game. 

The NFL probably issued apologies after the Chief's game about.....17 times last season.

5 hours ago, greasyt said:

Extremely overrated.  I really think his cute nickname is a big part of why he is so recognized around the league.  If he went by Ahmad Gardner he would be regarded as the slightly above JAG that he truly is.  Also, I am sure Saleh has told him that he is one of the all-time greats already.

Branding Greasy T, it's all about the branding.