Mike McDaniel

I've been wondering about this more than I should since I hate the fins, but their QB situation is so hard for me to get my head around.

Why?  Because I believe, as I think most people do, that Mike McDaniel is a legit offensive genius.  Several coaches around the league admitted to ripping him off early last year when he started using motion the way he did and we've seen his offenses put up some video game numbers since his arrival.

How is it then that he has a crop of backup QB's reminiscent of the Luke Falk/David Fales era with the Jets?

This guy can draw up an offensive game plan as well as he does but can't identify a quarterback?

I don't get it.

• Upvote 1

i dont think its that, i think good backup QBs dont go to places they have no hope of starting.

Brissett- went to backup up a rookie in NE and winds up starting.

Taylor- went to backup up a 40 yr old who just missed the year with an Achilles.

Minshew- went to start in Vegas

Darnold- went to back up a rookie in Minnesota

Marriotta- back up a rookie in Washington

Lock- Daniel Jones sucks. its just a matter of time before he starts

Flacco- back up a 2nd yr players who missed the whole year last year in Indy

same as last year. these guys went to places they could start. when Tua went all year without getting hurt none of these guys were ever going to play if they went there.

with Miami you would have to hope for Tua to get hurt to play, which is horrible and im sure guys dont want to do that. but where they went they all went to places where they had a good chance to start without injury.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Back up QBs suck. If they have to start for an extended period of time, its usually not gonna work out. 

Right, but there's "you're probably going to lose if you start this guy" suck, and there's "holy sh*t I can't believe that guy almost got us on the other side of the 50" suck.

The guys he has ID'd and developed are the latter.

40 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I've been wondering about this more than I should since I hate the fins, but their QB situation is so hard for me to get my head around.

Why?  Because I believe, as I think most people do, that Mike McDaniel is a legit offensive genius.  Several coaches around the league admitted to ripping him off early last year when he started using motion the way he did and we've seen his offenses put up some video game numbers since his arrival.

How is it then that he has a crop of backup QB's reminiscent of the Luke Falk/David Fales era with the Jets?

This guy can draw up an offensive game plan as well as he does but can't identify a quarterback?

I don't get it.

37 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

That was more of a GM decision not his. They didn’t wanna pay Mike White’s salary. 

This is the only explanation I can think of as to why they cut Mike White and kept Skylar Thompson and Tim Boyle.  

51 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I don't get it.

There is a common issue amongst fans on this board that there are quality backup NFL QBs all over the NFL. There are barely enough quality starting QBs, the backups are either former busts or guys like Tyrod Taylor who are marginal game manager types. Once in a while you get a Geno/Darnold/Baker who figure it out, but then they immediately go from backup to starter because of the lack of starting quality NFL QBs. 

Guys like Flacco and Jameis can come into games and look great, but if given enough reps turn into INT machines. 

That is why the Dolphins paid a noodle arm, serious concussion issues QB 200 million dollars last year. Because at least he is above average. 

55 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Back up QBs suck. If they have to start for an extended period of time, its usually not gonna work out. 

True.  But you can't tell me that Skylar Thompson and Tyler Huntley are better options than currently-sitting-on-his-couch Ryan Tannehill.  Not signing him the day after the Tua concussion was baffling.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There is a common issue amongst fans on this board that there are quality backup NFL QBs all over the NFL. There are barely enough quality starting QBs, the backups are either former busts or guys like Tyrod Taylor who are marginal game manager types. Once in a while you get a Geno/Darnold/Baker who figure it out, but then they immediately go from backup to starter because of the lack of starting quality NFL QBs. 

Guys like Flacco and Jameis can come into games and look great, but if given enough reps turn into INT machines. 

That is why the Dolphins paid a noodle arm, serious concussion issues QB 200 million dollars last year. Because at least he is above average. 

Not the case here.  I understand that most backup QB's suck, but McDaniel is supposed to be an elite offensive mind.  And with that being the case, he doesn't have "bad" backups, he's got hot trash.

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Not the case here.  I understand that most backup QB's suck, but McDaniel is supposed to be an elite offensive mind.  And with that being the case, he doesn't have "bad" backups, he's got hot trash.

No OC alive is getting anything out Skyler Thompson and Tim Boyle 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

I don't get it.

His offense has sucked for half a season now. It started the back half of last season with Tua. He struck lightning in a bottle and hasn't come up with anything new since it got figured out.

• Upvote 1

All of the nonsense about not having a plan of Rodgers last year was nonsense.

There is no backup plan for loosing your starting qb snaps into the season.

None, zero nada.

Brady went down and the greatest coach in the history of the nfl couldn’t get them to the playoffs.

Dolphins are coached by an offensive “genius” but still suck when the qb goes down.

There is no plan, punt and move on to the next season

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I don't get it.

Not having a viable backup was bad, but paying Tua was the most predictably self-defeating act of McDaniels’ career. The chances of that working out were nil. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not having a viable backup was bad, but paying Tua was the most predictably self-defeating act of McDaniels’ career. The chances of that working out were nil. 

We rarely discuss other teams on the JN podcast but man I had to touch on that.  How the hell do you dole out that much guaranteed money over that many years to a guy with that history?

Insanity.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

We rarely discuss other teams on the JN podcast but man I had to touch on that.  How the hell do you dole out that much guaranteed money over that many years to a guy with that history?

Insanity.

Hubris. I wonder if Stephen Ross cleans house. McDaniel and Grier have burned a ton of cash and now they’re a bottom three team in the league. Recall that McDaniel wasn’t even Ross’ first choice—he thought he was getting Sean Payton and Tom Brady. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Another way of looking at it is either it works out because Tua stays healthy, or it blows up + ruins the franchise + McDaniels gets blamed & let go, and then gets a clean slate elsewhere. 

On the off-chance Miami lets him go, it's easy to predict he'll get another shot with another team immediately. Even with generally poor defenses and plenty of injuries all over, he's 20-12 with his starting QB. That's good enough to get scooped up by someone else right away if he wants it. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Another way of looking at it is either it works out because Tua stays healthy, or it blows up + ruins the franchise + McDaniels gets blamed & let go, and then gets a clean slate elsewhere. 

On the off-chance Miami lets him go, it's easy to predict he'll get another shot with another team immediately. Even with generally poor defenses and plenty of injuries all over, he's 20-12 with his starting QB. That's good enough to get scooped up by someone else right away if he wants it. 

You think so? I don’t know how his general weirdness—combined with the team falling apart—will play if/when he’s fired. I think he’d have to be an OC again and do a Kliff Kingsbury reboot

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, doitny said:

i dont think its that, i think good backup QBs dont go to places they have no hope of starting.

Brissett- went to backup up a rookie in NE and winds up starting.

Taylor- went to backup up a 40 yr old who just missed the year with an Achilles.

Minshew- went to start in Vegas

Darnold- went to back up a rookie in Minnesota

Marriotta- back up a rookie in Washington

Lock- Daniel Jones sucks. its just a matter of time before he starts

Flacco- back up a 2nd yr players who missed the whole year last year in Indy

same as last year. these guys went to places they could start. when Tua went all year without getting hurt none of these guys were ever going to play if they went there.

with Miami you would have to hope for Tua to get hurt to play, which is horrible and im sure guys dont want to do that. but where they went they all went to places where they had a good chance to start without injury.

Really good point…

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You think so? I don’t know how his general weirdness—combined with the team falling apart—will play if/when he’s fired. I think he’d have to be an OC again and do a Kliff Kingsbury reboot

Depends on how many openings there are. I think there are enough out there who still think he's impressive - provided he doesn't give off a bad vibe when interviewing. His offenses were good until injuries mounted (not just Tua, but their OL had a bunch of injuries, too). Someone will bite on anyone perceived to have the ability to outsmart other coaches.

The big question mark is did he help Tua turn from a weak-armed meh starter into Miami's FQB, or was it just adding Hill that did that. If it was as simple as the latter, then his scrub backups would be able to fake it Jake Browning style. 

With that receiving corps down there, there are a couple cheap guys who could've faked it for a bit. Mushiota, Heinicke, or a QB he's coached before with some success like Garoppolo (oft-injured as he is himself). Truth is JG - if he'd have signed with them - was kind of an easy one. At $3MM, he's only $2MM more than Skylar Thompson. If the Rams lose again this Sunday & everyone there is still injured, and if Tua is insistent on returning this year, JG is a better seat-warmer than Thompson -- if it meant keeping their heads above water this season until Tua returns, that move's probably worth a 5th-6th rounder (or like a 5th/6th round swap) in April. 

And yeah there's no way I'd have made that offer to Tua. I'd put him on the trading block & start over with someone else first. This isn't the 1970s-80s; with his well-publicized prior concussions, one more bad one at any point over the next few seasons (which he ended up getting two games in) & there'd be pressure/calls for him to retire. 

Also let him spend the whole offseason getting used to it, but if there's anyone who needed to be playing with the soft-padded guardian caps it's this guy.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

what about kliff?  we need to groom a young QB soon