New JN Editorial by YJF

Maxman

Well written.

Expectations have to be low, since this is all new for most everyone involved with the Jets. Unless Chad becomes some miracle worker, and the lines gel and dominate, don't expect more then 5-7 wins this season.

Excellent read as always YJF. I believe most Jets fans know that this will take time. I'm going to enjoy watching how it all takes shape over the next couple years.

The only thing I'd nitpick on is calling Bob Sutton a rookie. Yes, I know technically he is with this being his first NFL DC job, but the guy has had experience and success at the collegiate levels. Plus it's seems weird calling our one "old" coach a rookie. :)

Excellent job as always YJF. Only thing I can't agree on is anyone thinking we have CLOSE to an above-average receiving corps. That would mean that 16 teams have worse receivers. The ones I bolded I think are all clearly stronger/better than we are at WR/TE. I counted 20 of them, and you could make an argument that ours are no better than (or outright worse than) others like Balt, Cle, NO, etc:

Balt - Derrick Mason, Mark Clayton, Todd Heap

Buf - Lee Evans, Peerless Price/Andre Davis, Kevin Everett(?)

Cin - Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Reggie Kelly(?)

Cle - Braylon Edwards, Joe Jeruvicius/Dennis Northcutt , Kellen Winslow

Den - Javon Walker, Rod Smith, David Terrell (assume Lelie cut/traded), Stephen Alexander

Hou - Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds, Jeb Putzier

Ind - Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Stokley, Dallas Clark

Jax - Reggie Williams, Matt Jones, Ernest Wilford, Marcedes Lewis

KC - Eddie Kennison, Sammie Parker, Tony Gonzalez

Mia - Chris Chambers, Marty Booker, Randy McMichael

NE - Deion Branch, Chad Jackson, Ben Watson/the other 7 TE's

Jets - Coles, McCariens, Cotchery, Baker/Jolley

Oak - Randy Moss, Jerry Porter, Courtney Anderson

Pit - Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Heath Miller

SD - Keenan McCardell, Eric Parker/Rashaun Woods, Antonio Gates

Ten - David Givens, Drew Bennett, Erron Kinney/Ben Troupe

Ari - Larry Fitzgerald, Anquoin Boldin, Bryant Johnson, Leonard Pope

Atl - Michael Jenkins, Roddy White, Brian Finnernan, Alge Crumpler

Car - Steve Smith, Keyshawn Johnson, Kris Magnum/Jeff King

Chi - Mushin Muhammad, Devin Hester/Justin Gage, Des Clark

Dal - Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn, Jason Witten, Anthony Fasano

Det - Roy Williams, Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Marcus Pollard

GB - Donald Driver, Robert Ferguson, Greg Jennings, Will Blackmon, Bubba Franks

Min - Koren Robinson, Michael Robinson, Travis Taylor, Troy Williamson, Kleinsasser/Wiggins

NO - Joe Horn, Dante Stallworth, Mike Hass, Zach Hilton

NYG - Plaxico Burress, Sinorce Moss, Amani Toomer, Jeremy Shockey

Phi - Reggie Brown, Todd Pinkston, Chad Lewis, Jason Avant, LJ Smith

SF - Antonio Bryant, 3 rookies, Vernon Davis

Sea - Darrell Jackson, Nate Burelson, Jeremy Stevens

StL - Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Kevin Curtis, Joe Klopfenstein/Dominique Byrd

TB - Joey Galloway, Maurice Stovall, Michael Clayton, Anthony Becht/Alex Smith

Was - Santana Moss, David Patten, Brandon Lloyd, Chris Cooley

Well written i will agree'but i disagree with the premise.This is the same exact team that went into the 2005 season with SB expectations from the Fans.The only players missing are those this Coaching staff felt were not neccessry for the immediate and furure success of the franchise.I have no such desire to sit around and wait and hope.I expect this team to win,and play to win from opening day.Why the frill else do you play if you don't believe you have a chance.If you believe you don't have a chance.explain to me why Chad pennington and Curtis Martin are still apart of this team.

Nice job YJF, but this subject has been beat to death this week

a dozen different ways. In fact the subject has been some of the

best threads.

Look amost everybody realizes this will be a tough year. But

atthe same time in recent years teams have turned things around

very quickly which gives a lot of us reason for cautious optimism.

Yes, its a cliche you play to win and as long as the team is in every

game there is always a chance. I think Mangini and crew will get

the most out of all the players and that's all you can ask for at this point.

Well written i will agree'but i disagree with the premise.This is the same exact team that went into the 2005 season with SB expectations from the Fans.The only players missing are those this Coaching staff felt were not neccessry for the immediate and furure success of the franchise.I have no such desire to sit around and wait and hope.I expect this team to win,and play to win from opening day.Why the frill else do you play if you don't believe you have a chance.If you believe you don't have a chance.explain to me why Chad pennington and Curtis Martin are still apart of this team.

Emotionally, fans should always want or expect a SB every year. Intellectually, no fan should've had superbowl expectations last year. We didn't beat anyone elite in that magnificent 2004 that should've led anyone to believe otherwise. The only "elite" teams we faced were the Steelers 2x and the Patriots 2x. We lost all 4 of those games (in addition to the nail-biters against teams we should've blown out of the water). The only reason one of those games (Pit in the playoffs) was even a ballgame was due to improbable touchdowns on an interception and a punt return (courtesy of 2 players who were off the team in 2005). Throw in Pennington's shoulder & a totally different offensive system and, while no one expected the total collapse that ensued in 2005, no one should've realisticly had "SB expectations" either.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!

I'm Mr Negative and i have us going 8-8 and off to a 2-0 start!!!!!!

reasons you say

1) I'm not counting on 1 down from Penne, ramsay starts and Clemmons backs up

2) We have a real coaching staff this year

3)We will be in F'n shape, no 2 minute quickees right Garb...

4)The players will play their asses off or be on the bench. They will also be fined for being overweight!!

5)Our OL will turn into a strength not a weakness.

6) Cause I said so!!!!!

Excellent job as always YJF. Only thing I can't agree on is anyone thinking we have CLOSE to an above-average receiving corps. That would mean that 16 teams have worse receivers. The ones I bolded I think are all clearly stronger/better than we are at WR/TE. I counted 20 of them, and you could make an argument that ours are no better than (or outright worse than) others like Balt, Cle, NO, etc:

Balt - Derrick Mason, Mark Clayton, Todd Heap

Buf - Lee Evans, Peerless Price/Andre Davis, Kevin Everett(?)

Cin - Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Reggie Kelly(?)

Cle - Braylon Edwards, Joe Jeruvicius/Dennis Northcutt , Kellen Winslow

Den - Javon Walker, Rod Smith, David Terrell (assume Lelie cut/traded), Stephen Alexander

Hou - Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds, Jeb Putzier

Ind - Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Stokley, Dallas Clark

Jax - Reggie Williams, Matt Jones, Ernest Wilford, Marcedes Lewis

KC - Eddie Kennison, Sammie Parker, Tony Gonzalez

Mia - Chris Chambers, Marty Booker, Randy McMichael

NE - Deion Branch, Chad Jackson, Ben Watson/the other 7 TE's

Jets - Coles, McCariens, Cotchery, Baker/Jolley

Oak - Randy Moss, Jerry Porter, Courtney Anderson

Pit - Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Heath Miller

SD - Keenan McCardell, Eric Parker/Rashaun Woods, Antonio Gates

Ten - David Givens, Drew Bennett, Erron Kinney/Ben Troupe

Ari - Larry Fitzgerald, Anquoin Boldin, Bryant Johnson, Leonard Pope

Atl - Michael Jenkins, Roddy White, Brian Finnernan, Alge Crumpler

Car - Steve Smith, Keyshawn Johnson, Kris Magnum/Jeff King

Chi - Mushin Muhammad, Devin Hester/Justin Gage, Des Clark

Dal - Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn, Jason Witten, Anthony Fasano

Det - Roy Williams, Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Marcus Pollard

GB - Donald Driver, Robert Ferguson, Greg Jennings, Will Blackmon, Bubba Franks

Min - Koren Robinson, Michael Robinson, Travis Taylor, Troy Williamson, Kleinsasser/Wiggins

NO - Joe Horn, Dante Stallworth, Mike Hass, Zach Hilton

NYG - Plaxico Burress, Sinorce Moss, Amani Toomer, Jeremy Shockey

Phi - Reggie Brown, Todd Pinkston, Chad Lewis, Jason Avant, LJ Smith

SF - Antonio Bryant, 3 rookies, Vernon Davis

Sea - Darrell Jackson, Nate Burelson, Jeremy Stevens

StL - Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Kevin Curtis, Joe Klopfenstein/Dominique Byrd

TB - Joey Galloway, Maurice Stovall, Michael Clayton, Anthony Becht/Alex Smith

Was - Santana Moss, David Patten, Brandon Lloyd, Chris Cooley

I agree with all of those except Tennessee(we're pretty even with them i think--i think bennett is overrated), and GB--who i think has nothing outside of driver now. Franks is injury prone for one thing, and, while not as extreme as jolley, he too has his high and low moments.

Either way...it really doesnt change much lol. Good article btw, very good read.

Good Job, YJF ... sad, but true

On a side note, its been interesting to witness your evolution as a Jet fan through the years, to say the least

You started as a wide-eyed optimist, but have evolved into a realist

Don't get me wrong, you were always a very asute and bright football fan in my view, but gone is the idealism of youth and in its place is that tad of disillusionment all Jet fans come to adopt in due time

That evolution has been interesting to watch

As for the column, well done as always ... I'm optimistic about this new regime going forward, but like you I can definitely see a work in progress ... I pretty much see it the same way, the old run is over, the window closed on that group in 2005, now its being rebuilt

Rebuilding doesn't always take three or four years during this era, and we already have some nice young pieces in place, but its the young guys who will lead this team into what we hope is a bright future, the Jon Vilma's, Brick Ferguson's and alike, and not the aging vets like Curtis Martin

Its sad to say, but Curtis Martin may not even be here anymore when this team is ready to make another serious run at the SB, or if it happens quicker than we suspect {which is possible}, he'll be more of bit player than a leading man ... and that's true off all aging vets, if this team experiences any success in the near future, it will be on the back of its young turks

Well written.

Expectations have to be low, since this is all new for most everyone involved with the Jets. Unless Chad becomes some miracle worker, and the lines gel and dominate, don't expect more then 5-7 wins this season.

Thanks mbn. Alot has to go right for The Jets to contend in 06 and the biggest key will be The QB position. If The Jets get good play from this spot. Things could be different. I think the team can be competitive because of coaching but unless they get good play from The QB spot. Winning games will be difficult.

Good Job, YJF ... sad, but true

On a side note, its been interesting to witness your evolution as a Jet fan through the years, to say the least

You started as a wide-eyed optimist, but have evolved into a realist

Don't get me wrong, you were always a very asute and bright football fan in my view, but gone is the idealism of youth and in its place is that tad of disillusionment all Jet fans come to adopt in due time

That evolution has been interesting to watch

As for the column, well done as always ... I'm optimistic about this new regime going forward, but like you I can definitely see a work in progress ... I pretty much see it the same way, the old run is over, the window closed on that group in 2005, now its being rebuilt

Rebuilding doesn't always take three or four years during this era, and we already have some nice young pieces in place, but its the young guys who will lead this team into what we hope is a bright future, the Jon Vilma's, Brick Ferguson's and alike, and not the aging vets like Curtis Martin

Its sad to say, but Curtis Martin may not even be here anymore when this team is ready to make another serious run at the SB, or if it happens quicker than we suspect {which is possible}, he'll be more of bit player than a leading man ... and that's true off all aging vets, if this team experiences any success in the near future, it will be on the back of its young turks

Thanks for the compliments Ham. I guess that I am getting older.lol

The perception of me at times was that I have been a homer but if you look at my track record. I haven't always painted the rosiest of pictures for The Jets. I killed The Jets front office after The 2002 season and predicted that The Jets would go 6 and 10 before Pennington broke his wrist in 2003. I've always tried to be logical and even keeled when looking at The Jets.

I do have a tendency for having wide eyed optimism at the start. Despite what I state in the article. I have faith in The Jets new leadership and their direction even though I realize that it's going to take time and it may not eventually work out. I like Mangini and Tannenbaum's upbringing in the league and I love alot of the moves they have made. I think Tannenbaum drives a hard bargain and tries to milk everything for what it's worth. The way he has handled the cap situation has shown that. But that style could backfire as we saw with The Gocong move in The 3rd round of the draft. I have been a huge fan of Eric Mangini's for a long time. He's one of the brightest young football minds out there but in truth, I don't know what type of leader he is going to end up being and that's a huge key. Can he take control of a team and rule with an iron hand?...Time will tell.

You raise a good point about Curtis Martin. He used to be a centerpiece player but now all that can be expected of him is to be a role player on this team. Maybe he can take on the role that Marcus Allen did late in his career or maybe he can be a Troy Brown type on this team. The level of his effectiveness in 2006 will decide what future role he will have with this team if any.

Good job, YJF.

Only issue-Sutton isn't close to a rookie.

The Jets will compete and play hard. Whether the talent level allows for anything more than 6 wins is a big if.

Thanks to Bugg and everyone else who has complimented me on the article. I realize that it may not be too popular to write off our own team right out the gate.

As far as Sutton goes Bugg. There is no question that Bob Sutton is a veteran assistant with tons of football coaching experience. He's never been a defensive coordinator on The NFL level. In The NFL, He's been a position coach but never a coordinator. So in 2006, That makes him a rookie defensive coordinator. There is no question that Sutton is qualified for his new position. He has earned it.

Excellent read as always YJF. I believe most Jets fans know that this will take time. I'm going to enjoy watching how it all takes shape over the next couple years.

The only thing I'd nitpick on is calling Bob Sutton a rookie. Yes, I know technically he is with this being his first NFL DC job, but the guy has had experience and success at the collegiate levels. Plus it's seems weird calling our one "old" coach a rookie. :)

Mangini wanted Rob Ryan, Buddy Ryan's son, as the defensive coordinator. He decided to stay with the Raiders and signed a contract extension. Ryan was an assistant with hte Patriots for three years with Mangini.

Bob Sutton was hired by Bill Parcells as a position coach. He was passed over for a defensive coordinator job three times by Al Groh and Herman Edwards.

The Jets have the weakest coaching staff in the AFC East.

Bob Sutton was hired by Bill Parcells as a position coach. He was passed over for a defensive coordinator job three times by Al Groh and Herman Edwards.

I'm not sure you can say he was passed over by Al Groh. Didn't Parcells recommend him to Groh for the LB coach position when Groh replaced Parcells as head coach?

Crennel was considering him for the DC of the Browns last year. He seems to have the respect of many players and coaches in the league.

Groh, Edwards, Cottrell and Henderson have all come and gone and Sutton is still here.

Who knows how it will pan out. I know he did have success in the collegiate levels. We'll see.

Sad for some not for others..:D Martin had his shot to shine in the 96 Super Bowl 42 yds rushing(After avg 3.6 that season and being out rushed on less carries by Murrell on the 1-15 Jets) And the 98 Championship Game in Denver where he wowed the Fans with 14 yds rushing! Face it..Martin was NEVER a Big Game back! Few stat Monkeys ever are! To many people get caught up in the Nice Guy,Class act stuff..I think he's a Great Guy too! But on my Jet Team I want a Great RB not just a great guy! If I was looking for Mr. Congeniality Cumar would get my Vote!:cheers:

Archived