this just in: curtis is not a stat compiler

joewilly

Not only is he not a stat compiler, but his legs will carry the jets for many years to come. I think they should extend his contract even further as he is a lock for the hall. with our q-back situation up in the air, look for cumar to gain about 1800 yards on the ground this year

If this doesn't bring savage back into the jn posting arena, I'm afraid he's gone for good guys, which is too bad really

I defy anyone, ANYONE to give an argument that Martin is a stat compiler.

I don't believe the argument can logically be made.

How about playing an entire season on not one, but two high ankle sprains with a healthy Lamont Jordan on the bench...you can blame Herm for starting him and CM for not telling Herm that the team would be better served with LJ running the ball and "not my 1,000 yards".

All Curtis joking aside...that was my biggest Herm disappointment. Last year saying the priority was getting Curtis 1,000. How about finding a QB? Or O Lineman that could play? Nah, those were not priorities.

Sad.

When was Martin's last post-season TD?

In the one game that Savage uses to bring him down, the 13 carry 14 yard performance against DEnver in 98. However, since that game he has run 84 times for 388 yards (4.6 YPC) and caught 19 balls for 153 yards. In one of thoes games (the Indy blowout) Lamont had 2 TDs

If you want to cite ypc in games where he was terrible but the ypc showed otherwise, I can't help your affliction. Take the Pittsburgh playoff game. Martin stunk up the joing the entire game, if you actually watched it & didn't just look up his game-total-ypc 17 months later. For the record:

2nd and 18 at NYJ 24 Curtis Martin (NYJ) rushed up the middle for 5 yards.

3rd and 25 at NYJ 22 Curtis Martin (NYJ) rushed up the middle for 13 yards.

1st and 20 at NYJ 31 Curtis Martin (NYJ) rushed right side for 10 yards.

2nd and 10 at PIT 39 Curtis Martin (NYJ) rushed up the middle for 5 yards.

33 yds on 4 passing downs; all of which were so useful that they led to a grand total of 0 Jets points & 0 Jets first downs on those drives. Other than those four stat-padding runs the total was 44 yards on 15 carries (2.9 ypc) which is more like what I remember watching during that how-not-to-coach clinic that Herm/Hackett put on. He had one "nice run" - a 2nd-&-6 run for 8 yards through a canyon-sized running lane the OL created that anyone with decent speed gets 15+ yards through.

you do know that SAVAGE can smell this thread from JI, dont ya...

I'll lay this down so he can pick up the scent. I posted this in September about the incumbent rushing champion:

The Martinette Handbook of Excuses

1. At all points, recite the string of 1000-yard seasons, no matter how irrelevant it is to the current season, game, drive, or play being discussed.

2. When the line opens up a gaping, 15-yard lane & Martin runs 10 yards through it, comment on the great 10-yd run he had. Dismiss the idea that a faster RB gets through that lane faster & maybe gets another 10-20 (or even 50) yards in the same situation.

3. Insist that running ramped over 10 weaklings in 2004 is the true mark of a rushing champion. sh*tting the bed in playoff games is irrelevant.

4. Always refer to him as the 2004 Rushing Champion and/or a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer, as though it has some bearing on how he’s running currently.

5. Glow about his 4.0 career ypc as though 4.0 was the minimum benchmark for greatness rather than minimum benchmark of acceptability. Also ignore that he has failed to reach this “average” in most of his seasons with the Jets.

6. When it is brought up that he sucked in certain games, always say that no one else could’ve done any better. This is key, since it is impossible to prove otherwise. Now mention someone off the charts like Barry Sanders or Jim Brown as follows: “Maybe [insert name] could’ve done better,” as though he is the only RB more dangerous than Curtis in NFL history.

7. When a defender touches Curtis’ thigh or shoulder with 2 fingers, nod in agreement like a dashboard doggie when the announcers say, “…Martin breaks a tackle…”

8. If Curtis is running like crap, insist that he is a "warrior" taking one for the team. If there are good, healthy RB’s on the sideline itching to get into the game, say that they “couldn’t hold Martin’s jock.”

9. When Curtis is running like crap, blame the offensive line. “The line played like sh!t” and “There was no place for him to run” are useful quips. As “evidence” be sure to state the “fact” that Martin has the best “vision” in the NFL so if he couldn’t find a hole, neither could anyone else.

10. Discuss what a great guy he is, as though that has any bearing on running speed or ability to break tackles on Sundays.

11. When citing his career #’s in the post-season only give gross totals (182-793-4.4) that get badly skewed because of his first one back in 1996. Do not ever draw attention to his inability to get into the endzone even once in the Jets’ last 5 post-season games, nor that the last touchdown he did get in a playoff game was when John Elway & Pepper Johnson were still playing, when he got 14 yds on 13 carries & didn’t even look that good.

12. If Curtis stays in the game despite injury or fatigue, with healthy, well-rested playmakers on the bench, & note that he is a “warrior” and is somehow a “team player” because of it. (I know this is is basically the same as #8, but this point can never be stressed enough times).

13. Insist that despite all the accolades the announcers give him for doing very ordinary things with the football in hand, that Curtis is the most underrated RB in NFL history.

14. If you must predict 1300 yards for Curtis in any season, do so without predicting 320+ carries to do so.

15. Dismiss his lack of a single run of more than 25 yards despite 371 carries as being indicative of nothing.

16. Yards are more important & more impressive accomplishments than touchdowns.

17. Ignore that 32 of his 95 touchdowns (and 5 of his 8 playoff touchdowns) came in his first two NFL seasons for the friggin' Patriots.

18. If Martin doesn’t get a lot of yards from the get-go, it’s because he needs lots of carries to get in his groove. If he gets plenty of carries & still is unimpressive, revert back to the “it’s because there was nowhere to run & Barry Sanders would’ve fared no better” mantra.

19. Against tougher opponents, when Martin underperforms, say it would have been fruitless to try giving someone else the rock for a few series like every other team does since it is a physical impossibility for anyone to have done better than Martin in any situation. In those same situations, say “who would you rather have, Martin or [insert name of other team’s stiff]” even though the “stiff” didn’t get a cap-breaking $50M contract that renders him uncuttable & retaining young backfield talent an impractical luxury.

20. Make sure you label to critics as Jet haters. They are usually the same imbeciles that dare criticize Herm Edwards, too.

Jordan was 5 carries for 30 yards in that Pitt playoff game. In the Bolts game, Edwards has a fight on the sidelines with Bishop Harris about it, and the head Fool still insisted on playing Martin. Crazy idea-play the guy who's actually effective, stats be damned? But having that IDIOT babble about Curtis Martin, WARRIOR! always mattered more than winning games.

Savage is but minutes away. He may even be typing right now!

Actually, much like your entire joke list, 8 and 12 are virtually the same. I base what I just said on the words that come straight from the camel's mouth. If you ever listen to what Martin says in interviews, or if you ever listen to the guy's life story for Christ's sake, you'd know that in fact he is a team player. And like I said-He has run for a lot of yards.

I'll lay this down so he can pick up the scent. I posted this in September about the incumbent rushing champion:

The Martinette Handbook of Excuses

1. At all points, recite the string of 1000-yard seasons, no matter how irrelevant it is to the current season, game, drive, or play being discussed.

2. When the line opens up a gaping, 15-yard lane & Martin runs 10 yards through it, comment on the great 10-yd run he had. Dismiss the idea that a faster RB gets through that lane faster & maybe gets another 10-20 (or even 50) yards in the same situation.

3. Insist that running ramped over 10 weaklings in 2004 is the true mark of a rushing champion. sh*tting the bed in playoff games is irrelevant.

4. Always refer to him as the 2004 Rushing Champion and/or a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer, as though it has some bearing on how he

Actually, much like your entire joke list, 8 and 12 are virtually the same. I base what I just said on the words that come straight from the camel's mouth. If you ever listen to what Martin says in interviews, or if you ever listen to the guy's life story for Christ's sake, you'd know that in fact he is a team player. And like I said-He has run for a lot of yards.

Ever listen to Chad Pennington? He's a team player too...so what?!

see #10. Any more? I'll be here all week.

The Sperm Edwards Handbook of Fighting Martinretardedattemptataname Excuses

1. Exclude any factor which could make for a good running back.

2-20. Repeat Step 1

You must mean like breaking tackles or getting a few 40+ yd runs a season to drive a stake through the heart of an opponent. Martin is a miracle: with all those carries and mostly above-average OL's he does neither.

There's also a difference between "toughness" which Martin clearly has, and effectiveness in circumstances that call for toughness, which he does not.

Playing with 2 sprained ankles is certainly only a tough guy could do. But he hurt the whole team with it. Compare that to Terrell Davis busting his way into the endzone while he was having a migraine in the superbowl. Also very tough, but he didn't hurt the team with it.

You must mean like breaking tackles or getting a few 40+ yd runs a season to drive a stake through the heart of an opponent. Martin is a miracle: with all those carries and mostly above-average OL's he does neither.

There's also a difference between "toughness" which Martin clearly has, and effectiveness in circumstances that call for toughness, which he does not.

Playing with 2 sprained ankles is certainly only a tough guy could do. But he hurt the whole team with it. Compare that to Terrell Davis busting his way into the endzone while he was having a migraine in the superbowl. Also very tough, but he didn't hurt the team with it.

Your claim that Curtis Martin doesn't and has not broken tackles is preposterous and I can't even argue with it.

Your claim that Curtis Martin doesn't and has not broken tackles is preposterous and I can't even argue with it.

Curtis Martin does not break real tackles. I don't know what games you watch. The ones I see are when some defender gets two fingers on him (assuming he doesn't go down from that, which he frequently does).

I'm quite sure I haven't missed a game in 15 years since I started watching football...In his prime Curtis Martin would not go down on first contact. I don't know where you guys get this stuff

Yeah, I must be mistaken. I must have amnesia not to remember all those games or tackle-breaking runs that left me in awe through the years. All those carries that left me thinking "WOW - how the HELL did he do that???" I must bet getting old. And any of the current crop of top-10 RB's - EVERYONE around the league is saying, "Yeah, he's pretty good. But he was nothing compared to Curtis Martin in his prime."

This is awesome. It is just like getting a contact buzz,

Thanks.

You're welcome.

Archived