If you're Brian Cashman, who would you trade Phillip Hughes for?

AFJF

Bottom line is a player in the minor leagues none of us know how good or bad they will be in the majors- you either take a chance or not

Milledge can be a player for many years for the Mets- I would not give him up for Zito- I have stated that right from the beginning.

Minaya has shown try to win now and have the pieces for the future

That is were your point is incorrect though. A young lefty will do more for the franchise down the road. Corner outfielders are nice. But a # 1 starter, they are just swell. Especially when they are lefty.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a little harder to judge then your wife cause i've never seen her but i've seen alot of Hughes and there is no doubt in my mind that he's going to be a top of the rotation starter. (and i'm not the only one who thinks that)

I'm also alot better at evaluating pitchers then women it seems...

That is a pretty funny answer actually. I usually fall for the women with the fastball. I always forget that location is such an important part of the game.

Damn juggs. I mean juggs gun. Totally overrated.

That is were your point is incorrect though. A young lefty will do more for the franchise down the road. Corner outfielders are nice. But a # 1 starter, they are just swell. Especially when they are lefty.

With more and more Pitchers breaking down gives me a lot of concern about any trade for a pitcher-

With more and more Pitchers breaking down gives me a lot of concern about any trade for a pitcher-

The same could be said anbout the pitchers the Mets currently have.

Hey, you don't swing a deal for teh sake of swinging a deal. BUT, if I could get Zitop for Milledge, and know I could sign him long term, I have to consider that.

The Mets have a core nucleus on offense for a decent number of years. A good young corner outfielder is only a bonus to that mix.

Pitching, they are not set at. They need to fortify it for not only a deep run this year, but a nucleus to build on for the near future

The same could be said anbout the pitchers the Mets currently have.

Hey, you don't swing a deal for teh sake of swinging a deal. BUT, if I could get Zitop for Milledge, and know I could sign him long term, I have to consider that.

The Mets have a core nucleus on offense for a decent number of years. A good young corner outfielder is only a bonus to that mix.

Pitching, they are not set at. They need to fortify it for not only a deep run this year, but a nucleus to build on for the near future

Sounds a lot like what I have been saying!

Jon Lester >> Philip Hughes.

Discuss.

Nice post. anyways....

Answer: Because Hughes is projected as a top of the line starter you only trade him for a top of the line starter (sub 30yrs old too). Milledge is just a corner OF, you can replace his projected production with FA outfielders or come close to it. If Hughes and Milledge both reach their potential, without question Hughes would be more important and more valuable, so comparing the 2 is a waste of time.

There are probably 5-10 players in MLB I would consider trading Hughes for, and none of those teams would trade these players for Hughes so it is a moot point.

Hughes throws harder and has better secondary pitches. Lester projects as a middle of the rotation starter and Hughes projects as a top of the rotation starter.

but crazycarl is a red sox fan, so to him tim wakefield is the equivilant of greg maddox

I think some of the Hughes love in this thread is a bit much...after all,he's just a 20 year old kid,gotta give him time to live up to the hype.

That said,I'm sick of selling off all our pitching prospects for the aaron boones and gabe whites of the world. I say keep Hughes unless (as several said already) a Johan Santana caliber starter is offered,and they won't be. Don't deal Hughes!

If I can get Crawford and a lower pitching prospect back for Hughes, I make the deal.

The way George has made beating Tampa a high priority over the years though makes me wonder just how interested their front office would be in helping the Yankees unless they robbed them.

Can you imagine the outrage on this board if 2-3 years from now the D-rays 1 and 2 starters were Scott Kazmir and Philip Hughes?

I think some of the Hughes love in this thread is a bit much...after all,he's just a 20 year old kid,gotta give him time to live up to the hype.

That said,I'm sick of selling off all our pitching prospects for the aaron boones and gabe whites of the world. I say keep Hughes unless (as several said already) a Johan Santana caliber starter is offered,and they won't be. Don't deal Hughes!

I'd trade Hughes for Santana Halladay or Liriano. Thats it.

How many Major League victories does Phillip Hughes have? Lester has 2 in 3 starts. With the way the Yankees pitching is, if he were ready wouldn't he be up pitching already? To at least showcase for other teams?

Yes most 19 year olds who aren't ready get brought up. This way they can be "showcased". As they get knocked out of the park.

Yes most 19 year olds who aren't ready get brought up. This way they can be "showcased". As they get knocked out of the park.

Hughes could get major league hitters out right now but he's in AA because he's never pitched more then 80 innings in his life and the yankees rufuse to go the cubs or drays route and rush their best prospects up risking their arms.

Well if he is that good, like everyone is claiming, why isn't he in at least AAA? 19 years old has no bearing. Craig Hansen isn't much older, neither is Lester or Papelbon. If he is good as everyone is advertising that's good for the Yankees. I'm just saying y'all need to watch your chicken counting.

Well if he is that good, like everyone is claiming, why isn't he in at least AAA? 19 years old has no bearing. Craig Hansen isn't much older, neither is Lester or Papelbon. If he is good as everyone is advertising that's good for the Yankees. I'm just saying y'all need to watch your chicken counting.

He's 19 friggen years old you dooshey. Lester is 22. Papelbon is 25. Hansen is 22. Big difference genius. And go check out Lesters AA numbers before he was called up to Hughes AA numbers right now. :P

You seriously cannot be this stupid.

He's 19 friggen years old you dooshey. Lester is 22. Papelbon is 25. Hansen is 22. Big difference genius. And go check out Lesters AA numbers before he was called up to Hughes AA numbers right now. :P

You seriously cannot be this stupid.

Hansen pitched in the same year he was drafted. Age doesn't really matter. If was as good as everyone says, he would be pitching for the Yankees given the state of their pitching staff. It's just that simple.

Hansen pitched in the same year he was drafted. Age doesn't really matter. If was as good as everyone says, he would be pitching for the Yankees given the state of their pitching staff. It's just that simple.

Comparing him to Hansen just shows that you have NO IDEA what you're talking about. You can't compare College Relievers to HS starters. Hansen is barely a B prospect at this point by the way.

Yes, age has no baring at all.

Hansen was a collegiate pitcher, Hughes was drafted in 2004 when he was out of high school.

Nice comparison momo.

You dont rush him to the majors you dummy, how clueless are you, Hughes still has more to develop in his game. Just shut up please you sound so stupid its not even funny anymore.

Like people have said before, Hughes is 19 years old. The way he's pitching at AA will have him up at AAA before the end of this season, or at worst, next season. Hughes is only 19, the other pitchers that you've mentioned, like Barton said, are all 22 or older. 3 years or more is a huge difference. The Mariners took a big risk by bringing up Felix Hernadez when he was 19 and come to think of it he hasn't really been a household name just yet now has he? There is no rush to bring up Hughes this season either because you still have Johnson, Mussina, Wang, Chacon and Wright. If one of them were to be injuried for an expanded period of time, then maybe you'd see him. Hughes isn't needed right now. That's the truth of it. Maybe in 2007, but most likely in 2008.

Although he's on my pitching staff in 2k6 for the KC Royals. Ah Sweeney for Melky, Hughes & Proctor....the way the old Yankees would've done it.

All these age restrictions are not set in stone.

Gooden won 17 games at 19 yrs old and a CY Young at 20.

Crawford is only 25 as well and a no doubt about it proven star.

It's not a insane trade offer though I agree if the Yanks consider Hughes a can't miss I don't trade him.

Yanks will more than likely look for a stop gap outfielder and then look to aquire Damon and Matsui's 2007 running mate via free agency.

Sheff won't be back as I feel his fate as a Yankee in 07 was sealed the minute the Roids book came out in May.

Comparing him to Hansen just shows that you have NO IDEA what you're talking about. You can't compare College Relievers to HS starters. Hansen is barely a B prospect at this point by the way.

How is Hansen a B prospect. Please explain that one to me. He is supposedly a better closer, with seasoning, than Jon Papelbon. So let me hear this one.

How is Hansen a B prospect. Please explain that one to me. He is supposedly a better closer, with seasoning, than Jon Papelbon. So let me hear this one.

He's a B prospect because he can't get the ball over the plate and his FB is straight and not as hard as expected.

Well if Hughes still needs time to develop, why is everyone so high on him? Can he pitch in AAA a little bit before Yankees fans call him the next Jesus?

Go find out for yourself. I know why but I'm sick of trying to educate you.

Yankees are like 4th in AL ERA and are like .15 away from 2nd. Their pitchers have the 2nd lowest batting average against in the AL.

But the current state of the Yankee pitching is such that they need the hlp of a 19 year old. Gotcha.

The kid can be both good and not ready. It is a possibility.

The Brewers have been reportedly scouting New York Yankees pitching prospect Phillip Hughes.

The Brewers would likely send Carlos Lee to the Yankees for Hughes and a couple more prospects. Adding Lee would be a huge addition to the depleted Yankees' outfield. Jun. 25 - 12:19 pm et

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

I'd love to get Carlos Lee but not for Hughes...

All I am saying is AA stats do not necessarily translate into a top of the rotation starter. Hughes may be that, but the Yankees fans talk about him as the second coming. I just want to see how he does at AAA before we go touting him as the next Messiah.

And anyone who thinks Hansen is a B prospect needs to do a little rethinking. It's obvious to everyone else he going to be nasty. Command will come as he matures. And it doesn't matter how straight a fastball is if he blwos it by you. Just ask Papelbon. Better yet, ask Burrell.

All I am saying is AA stats do not necessarily translate into a top of the rotation starter. Hughes may be that, but the Yankees fans talk about him as the second coming. I just want to see how he does at AAA before we go touting him as the next Messiah.

And anyone who thinks Hansen is a B prospect needs to do a little rethinking. It's obvious to everyone else he going to be nasty. Command will come as he matures. And it doesn't matter how straight a fastball is if he blwos it by you. Just ask Papelbon. Better yet, ask Burrell.

Bro...you are both right and wrong. Yankee fans can be excited about Hughes. But what he does in AAA doesn't matter either. When he does it for real, then I will be excited.

The Yankees have very little pitching help ready...so they should hang on to him regardless.

Also it doesn't matter how fast it is if you can blow it by people? Who wrote that Armando Benitez?

Bro...you are both right and wrong. Yankee fans can be excited about Hughes. But what he does in AAA doesn't matter either. When he does it for real, then I will be excited.

The Yankees have very little pitching help ready...so they should hang on to him regardless.

Also it doesn't matter how fast it is if you can blow it by people? Who wrote that Armando Benitez?

Not fast, straight. But you wouldn't know much about straight now would ya Max? :)

Archived