If you're Brian Cashman, who would you trade Phillip Hughes for?

AFJF

Bro...you are both right and wrong. Yankee fans can be excited about Hughes. But what he does in AAA doesn't matter either. When he does it for real, then I will be excited.

The Yankees have very little pitching help ready...so they should hang on to him regardless.

Also it doesn't matter how fast it is if you can blow it by people? Who wrote that Armando Benitez?

Correct. Imagine if the Mets had foolishly insisted on Crawford instead of Zambrano in the Kazmir trade.;)

Better yet. Imagine if we had just kept Kazmir.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good segment on Hughes this morning on YES, anyone catch it? Just basically talked about how he's 19 and he knows that the biggest thing is knowing that his fastball isn't going to be the only pitch he's able to throw in AA, AAA and the majors and how maturity is the most important thing. The managers believe he'll be up in 07 or 08.

All I am saying is AA stats do not necessarily translate into a top of the rotation starter. Hughes may be that, but the Yankees fans talk about him as the second coming. I just want to see how he does at AAA before we go touting him as the next Messiah.

And anyone who thinks Hansen is a B prospect needs to do a little rethinking. It's obvious to everyone else he going to be nasty. Command will come as he matures. And it doesn't matter how straight a fastball is if he blwos it by you. Just ask Papelbon. Better yet, ask Burrell.

Imagine that, Pat Burrell striking out looking, what a shock lol.

Hansen has nasty stuff but his fastball is straight, unlike Papelbon who has sick movement on his fastball.

Teams will get a book on Papelbon and it will be let him throw some strikes. Everytime I see him pitch, hitters are swinging and getting out on pitches that arent close to being strikes. His secondary stuff isnt thrown for strikes either. We'll see if he continues this success once the league gets a handle on his stuff.....

Imagine that, Pat Burrell striking out looking, what a shock lol.

Hansen has nasty stuff but his fastball is straight, unlike Papelbon who has sick movement on his fastball.

Teams will get a book on Papelbon and it will be let him throw some strikes. Everytime I see him pitch, hitters are swinging and getting out on pitches that arent close to being strikes. His secondary stuff isnt thrown for strikes either. We'll see if he continues this success once the league gets a handle on his stuff.....

Actually, Pat Burrell, whom the Yankees have been said to have had an interest in, swung three times and three fastballs clocked at 96, 96, and 97. Then again, Paps has made A-Rod look foolish in both of their encounters as well.

Actually, Pat Burrell, whom the Yankees have been said to have had an interest in, swung three times and three fastballs clocked at 96, 96, and 97. Then again, Paps has made A-Rod look foolish in both of their encounters as well.

The yankees wouldn't be stupid enough to give up anything for Burrell who can only get hits vs the mets.

This was posted on the "truth and rumors" section of CNNSI.com today:

"The Yankees may be on the verge of acquiring slugger Carlos Lee from the Brewers. Former Sox executive Lee Thomas, who is now an assistant to Milwaukee GM Doug Melvin, was seen in Trenton, N.J., on Friday night scouting Yankees pitching prospect Philip Hughes, who allowed one hit and struck out eight for the Double-A Thunder. -- Boston Herald"

This was posted on the "truth and rumors" section of CNNSI.com today:

Not a chance.

Hughes is untouchable as said by Cashman who runs the show these days.

They were probably scouting other talent at Trenton, Yankees arent trading Hughes for a corner outfielder even as good as Lee.

Not a chance.

They were probably scouting other talent at Trenton, Yankees arent trading Hughes for a corner outfielder even as good as Lee.

Best case for the yanks is Lee becomes a FA and they sign him in the offseason.

Not a chance.

your probably right, but since the yanks managment, at least in the last 10 years, has always had a win-now philosophy in regards to the trading deadline, you never know. Carlos Lee would certainly add more power to your lineup, but you guys still need help in the bullpen.

a lineup of Cano, Jeter, A-Rod, Giambi, and Lee, with Sheffield and Matsui comign back would be sick.

Well I don't agree entirely but I get your point.

Yankee fans are saying hold on to your best pitching prospect. If MBN thinks he is the real deal that is saying a lot, he knows the game.

The Lastings situation was a bit different. I was saying trade him for an ace (Zito). Met fans said no.

The point is pitching wins championships. If Hughes is or isn't the real deal...time will tell. But you need arms.

Who is Philip Hughes?

LL

how about mark prior or kerry wood? 3 years ago people were putting them in Cooperstown and now neither of them can stay off the DL. Hughes is a nice prospect but he is still a prospect. if the a's wanted to move zito for hughes i would do it in a heartbeat. same can be said for numerous PROVEN major league pitchers.

i used to attend double-a games when the yankees were in albany-colonie. i cannot tell you the # of can't miss prospects that missed. 1 season leyritz won the league MVP and another AC Yankee won their version of the Cy Young. You know who that was? Steve Atkins. Ever heard of him? the list of failed prospects goes on and on, taylor was just 1 example of the #1 overall pick who threw 98 mph flaming out because his head was up his ass and he couldn't stay out of a fight in a trailor park with over $1M in the bank.

Zito is a .500 pitcher since his Cy Young season. This on a team that wins 90 games every season.

Pass.

As for your comment about other AA prospects, how many 20 year old pitcher (turned 20 on Saturday) have a mid 90s heater, a 2 seamer, a curve that breaks late, and sharply, and a slider, which he does not throw much, but was his best pitch in HS before he was drafted. He is miles ahead of anyone who ever played at Albany.

Well if he is that good, like everyone is claiming, why isn't he in at least AAA? 19 years old has no bearing. Craig Hansen isn't much older, neither is Lester or Papelbon. If he is good as everyone is advertising that's good for the Yankees. I'm just saying y'all need to watch your chicken counting.

You usually are better then this. This response from you is one of the most unintelligent comments on these boards, ever.

Zito is a .500 pitcher since his Cy Young season. This on a team that wins 90 games every season.

Pass.

As for your comment about other AA prospects, how many 20 year old pitcher (turned 20 on Saturday) have a mid 90s heater, a 2 seamer, a curve that breaks late, and sharply, and a slider, which he does not throw much, but was his best pitch in HS before he was drafted. He is miles ahead of anyone who ever played at Albany.

actually, i saw louisianna lightning himself in a rehab start so i wouldn't go quite that far but i understand your point.

the bottom line is that prospects are still that. the other aspect of being a young pitcher is that their arms have never thrown 200+ innings. look at what happened to prior and wood. i remember when prior came up everyone talked about his delivery and how he would never have arm problems.

i give hughes a 50/50 shot at making it big in the majors. all it takes is a torn labrum, rotator cuff, or elbow and his ceiling lowers considerably. at least zito has shown that he can 1. make it through a mahor league season. and, 2 - be the best pitcher in the AL.

actually, i saw louisianna lightning himself in a rehab start so i wouldn't go quite that far but i understand your point.

the bottom line is that prospects are still that. the other aspect of being a young pitcher is that their arms have never thrown 200+ innings. look at what happened to prior and wood. i remember when prior came up everyone talked about his delivery and how he would never have arm problems.

i give hughes a 50/50 shot at making it big in the majors. all it takes is a torn labrum, rotator cuff, or elbow and his ceiling lowers considerably. at least zito has shown that he can 1. make it through a mahor league season. and, 2 - be the best pitcher in the AL.

Zito may also sign a rediculous 5 year 60 milliondollar contract and then rip his rotator in ST. Any pitcher is a gamble. Each pitch can be his last one ever.

Hughes is nearing 100 innings for this season (Tampa and Trenton combined). He should log in the 150+ range. He has been brought along slowly. Do it again next season, then he will be ready to take over for Randy in 2008 at the ripe old age of 21 and 10 months.

Zito may also sign a rediculous 5 year 60 milliondollar contract and then rip his rotator in ST. Any pitcher is a gamble. Each pitch can be his last one ever.

Hughes is nearing 100 innings for this season (Tampa and Trenton combined). He should log in the 150+ range. He has been brought along slowly. Do it again next season, then he will be ready to take over for Randy in 2008 at the ripe old age of 21 and 10 months.

By take over for Randy do you mean that they will overpay him and expect an ERA around 5.00?

By take over for Randy do you mean that they will overpay him and expect an ERA around 5.00?

Nice try pal.;)

No, I hope he lives up to his hype, and becomes the next Roger Clemens. Actually, I really hope he settles into the type of pitcher he seems to be able to be.

Nice try pal.;)

No, I hope he lives up to his hype, and becomes the next Roger Clemens. Actually, I really hope he settles into the type of pitcher he seems to be able to be.

By the next Roger Clemens do you mean that he will play for his first team (the Yankees) for 10 years or so. Then leave to take a big free agent deal somewhere else? Only to leave again for more money.

And the whole time claim to just want to win? :rolleyes:

Archived