Who's No. 1?

TaborJet

Who's No. 1?

Jets faced with 4-man QB controversy

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

833-pennington_chad.JPGAfter missing nearly all of last season with a shoulder injury, Chad Pennington enters camp as just one of four QBs battling for the starting job.

It has been 16 years since the Jets opened training camp with a genuine, mano a mano quarterback competition. Ken O'Brien versus Tony Eason in the summer of 1990 didn't polarize the locker room or the sports populace of New York, but it did begin with a fair amount of suspense.

Just like the one that is about to commence at Hofstra - except this time, you're going to need a couple more "manos" to complete the fight card.

It's incumbent Chad Pennington versus Patrick Ramsey versus Brooks Bollinger versus rookie Kellen Clemens, a four-way battle that may be unprecedented in recent NFL history.

"It's an interesting dynamic," says first-year general manager Mike Tannenbaum, insisting, "All four guys have a legitimate chance to start."

That seems like a stretch - does anybody believe Bollinger has a shot? - but the Jets continue to sell it as a wide-open race, a wholesome competition that will bring out the best in each player.

But some outsiders are calling it a mess, an overcrowded situation that will stunt the growth of the entire offense. Indeed, if two's company and three's a crowd, what do you call four? It could feel like Penn Station at rush hour.

Clearly, this is no ordinary quarterback battle. Even though rookie coach Eric Mangini has said he will line them up, let them play and pick the best guy, it's not that simple.

Not with the uncertainty surrounding Pennington, whose daily stock could fluctuate more than the Dow Jones because of a twice-repaired throwing shoulder.

Not with the tantalizing option of Clemens, who is trying to convince the organization that the future is now.

The fun starts Friday, Day 1 of Mangini's inaugural training camp. When he names a starter is anybody's guess.

"We're not going to rush this decision," says offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. "However long it takes to get a clear-cut guy is what we're going to do."

The Daily News questioned five impartial observers on the Jets' quarterback conundrum - two opposing coaches, two scouts and one TV analyst - and the consensus was that Pennington will emerge as the starter, edging Ramsey. But the endorsement wasn't overwhelming, with most believing it's only a matter of time before Clemens, a second-round pick, surpasses both veterans.

"I think it's going to be a pretty tight competition," says one scout, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Pennington has the reputation, Ramsey doesn't, but I don't think their skills and abilities are dramatically different. It's going to be closer than people think."

One coach, suspecting that Clemens could be in the not-too-distant plans, said: "When you draft a kid that high, it usually means you want to play him pretty soon."

Logic says Mangini must pare the field to two or three, the sooner the better, to give each quarterback a chance to get acclimated to the new system and develop chemistry with the starters. If Mangini lets it drag out for the entire preseason, it will deprive the eventual starter of valuable practice reps, according to an opposing coach.

No matter what happens, it's "not going to be pretty," quarterback-turned-analyst Boomer Esiason says.

"The Jets are completely in a rebuilding mode, and whoever the quarterback is will be a sacrificial lamb," adds Esiason, who predicts a Pennington victory.

Clearly, Pennington is the most accomplished quarterback of the four, having won 22 of 37 career starts. Scouts say Pennington is more accurate than Ramsey, a better decision-maker and a better field general.

In fact, Pennington's career touchdown/drive ratio is 21%, ahead of Ramsey's (17%) and Bollinger's (11%). But Pennington has two huge factors working against him: He can't stay healthy (22 games missed in the last three seasons) and his arm strength can't compare to that of Ramsey's.

Though they never will admit it publicly, the Jets aren't sure if Pennington's arm will ever be the same, a concern born from two shoulder operations in an eight-month span. The only reason they kept Bollinger, a person close to the situation says, is because they want veteran insurance in case Pennington breaks down again.

Former Packers quarterback Don Majkowski can relate. He made the Pro Bowl in 1989, then tore his rotator cuff and was never the same.

"I lost my quick-twitch muscle fiber, my ability to throw the ball quickly," he says. "I used to have a quick, compact release. After the surgery, I looked like a javelin thrower, with an elongated release.

"I wish Chad a lot of luck," adds Majkowski. "I loved him as a quarterback, his intangibles. But, from my experience, it was difficult and frustrating to come back. You know what you once were, and you can't get back to that."

Soon after Pennington's season-ending injury last September, the Jets began to research Ramsey, a former first-round pick whom they felt never got a fair shake in Washington. He went 10-14 as a starter, getting benched by two coaches, Steve Spurrier and Joe Gibbs. In March, the Jets got him for a sixth-round pick.

Ramsey has the arm strength to succeed in any system, but he tends to hold the ball too long and gets happy feet in the pocket, scouts say. He disappointed in last month's minicamp, but still sees this as a chance to resurrect his once-promising career.

The wild card is Clemens, who has endeared himself to the new staff with his gym-rat approach and intriguing skill set. The former Oregon standout has a better-than-advertised arm and a quick release, but his chances of winning the job appear remote.

"Kellen Clemens isn't ready to be the man just yet," Esiason says. "He's a rookie. Nobody wants to play with a rookie. You don't win."

Chances are, Pennington will prevail. If so, he shouldn't get too comfortable in the job. Mangini knows his weaknesses - his New England defense dominated Pennington in recent years - and he probably won't hesitate to pull him. Mangini's mentor, Bill Belichick, did it that way in 2001 with the Tom Brady-for-Drew Bledsoe change.

If nothing else, the Jets and their fans should prepare for a hectic summer.

5 Questions:

Here are five questions the Daily News' Rich Cimini has for the Jets in 2006:

1. Boot camp or leisure time?

Eric Mangini's itinerary includes only seven days of double sessions, five fewer than Herm Edwards' total from last summer.

2. Is Curtis Martin being phased out?

That's the plan. But, even at 33, Martin still is the best back on the team. Let us be the first to start the Adrian Peterson draft rumors.

3. Will the defense make a smooth transition to the 3-4 scheme?

Not likely. There's no experienced nose tackle and others, including LB Jonathan Vilma, are better suited to the 4-3.

4. How long will it take the revamped offensive line to jell?

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson and C Nick Mangold, both rookies, are expected to start. Hello, growing pains. No matter what happens, the line "can't be as bad as last year," one competing coach cracked.

5. Which departed player will be the toughest to replace? John Abraham, hands down. The division breathed a sigh of relief when he was traded to the Falcons. Mangini will have to cook up some clever schemes to manufacture a pass rush.

Originally published on July 23, 2006

Good article by Rich. Mangini can say it is a wide open competition. And for the 1st preseason game they will play 1 quarter each. But then you will see things shaping up. The competition will be between Chad and Ramsey.

Clemens can't be cut. In theory Bolly could beat out Ramsey for the # 2 job. But that is not going to happen. If Chad gets hurt they are going to want Ramsey and the starter, not Bolly. It really is that simple.

Clemens gets to watch this camp with little pressure. If the season goes bad he can become the starter at some point this year, just not now.

I agree. This open competition BS isn't good at QB. QB isn't like RB or WR, you can't change them every play. Within reason, you have to stick with the guy you pick.If the guy they don't want (Bollinger?) plays a little better than the others, you have to start him and if you don't and the other guy doesn't perform you really look like an ass. It's a very bad thing for a rookie coach to look like an ass. They keep doing it though.

PS: Why does the story act like the little weasel had Bledsoe on a short leash? If Mo didn't send the guy to the hospital Brady would probably still be riding the pine. Another genius move by Belly.

Liked the article, but did not like this statement:

Not likely. There's no experienced nose tackle and others, including LB Jonathan Vilma, are better suited to the 4-3.

How thw hell does anyone know what JV is best suited for? He has never played in any other system as far as I know. This kid is a fast, smart, aggressive player. I think Vilma would excel at PK if that is where Mangini wanted to put him. Some guys are just football players, no matter where they play, or what scheme they run. Vilma is one of those guys!

Cimini seems at his most comfortable and witty bashing the Jets and talking about how horrible they will be.

Which is why he fits in so well here!

I hear you about the negative attitude. I just hope the Jets turn it around and we can call it on him. Because right now he is right.

How thw hell does anyone know what JV is best suited for? He has never played in any other system as far as I know. This kid is a fast, smart, aggressive player.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Vilma's strrength is his speed and aggressiveness, both of which would be greatly reduced in a 3-4. He will no longer be able to roam sideline-to-sideline to make playes, as the 3-4 role calls for specific areas of coverage of the ILB.

On top of that, he will see more OLinemen directly on him, thus reducing his mobility even more.

Not saying he can't pull a Ray Lewis and excel in the 3-4, but on the surface, the 3-4 takes away a lot of his strenghts.

Vilma's strrength is his speed and aggressiveness, both of which would be greatly reduced in a 3-4. He will no longer be able to roam sideline-to-sideline to make playes, as the 3-4 role calls for specific areas of coverage of the ILB.

On top of that, he will see more OLinemen directly on him, thus reducing his mobility even more.

Not saying he can't pull a Ray Lewis and excel in the 3-4, but on the surface, the 3-4 takes away a lot of his strenghts.

And thus comes the question...why would the Jets even consider going to a 3-4 when their best defensive player isn't suited for it?

If you're going to build a team, why not build around your best player instead of taking away that players strong point.

And thus comes the question...why would the Jets even consider going to a 3-4 when their best defensive player isn't suited for it?

If you're going to build a team, why not build around your best player instead of taking away that players strong point.

Because Mangini has been involved in the 3-4 defense for over 10 years.

It's what he knows the best and feels it is the best defense to give him a competitive advantage.

I still say until the Jets can find a pure NT for the 3-4, Mangini will stick with the base 4-3 with some 3-4 looks in specific situations.

Vilma has a much better chance of adapting to the 3-4 than the Jets do of finding a productive NT.

Reading this article again, you wonder where some of these writers get their freaking material...like this paragraph by Cimini...

Chances are, Pennington will prevail. If so, he shouldn't get too comfortable in the job. Mangini knows his weaknesses - his New England defense dominated Pennington in recent years - and he probably won't hesitate to pull him. Mangini's mentor, Bill Belichick, did it that way in 2001 with the Tom Brady-for-Drew Bledsoe change.

Now, come on people, the reason why Brady was inserted was because of the hit Lewis put on Bledsoe.

Unless Cimini is predicting the same sort of circumstance for the Jets starting QB where Mangini has no choice but to put in a replacemnt; because his starting QB was just put on life support.

Now, come on people, the reason why Brady was inserted was because of the hit Lewis put on Bledsoe.

The only thing the Mo Lewis hit did was speed up the change process.

Brady would have been starting by game 5 even if Bledsoe remained healthy.

That's a guess TX...you will never, ever know that for sure.

No it isn't FL.

Ask any Pats fan how things unfolded that year.

Brady completely outplayed Bledsoe in training camp and pre-season games that year. Many Pats fans, and the media, were shocked that Bledsoe actually started the season that year.

I agree Tx, but lets not forget the coomon denominator: THE U OF MIAMI!!

No it isn't FL.

Ask any Pats fan how things unfolded that year.

Brady completely outplayed Bledsoe in training camp and pre-season games that year. Many Pats fans, and the media, were shocked that Bledsoe actually started the season that year.

There was this guy on all that Patriot boards back then, JetsFanNJ. He was saying that Brady threw like a girl and that the Pats hadn't won anything in several years. He also said Mumbles was a moron.

That guy hasn't posted in awhile. I wonder why.

First of all Tex, what the hell do rocket scientist know about football? Another thing, why the hell do folks think rocket scientist are any smarter than other scientist? Last I checked, they have not been so hot.

I understand the game, and I know the diffs betwix the 4-3 and the 3-4. You completely missed my point; which was with Vilma's mind and atheleticism, he will do just fine in a 3-4 scheme. I would not be surprised if he plays a little at every LB spot. You know, change it up a bit, switch things around, keep people guessin'; is this all making sense? Does it sound familiar jackass? I am not a rocket scientist, but I am a scientist, by trade matter of factly, so don't get cute with me bub.

First of all Tex, what the hell do rocket scientist know about football? Another thing, why the hell do folks think rocket scientist are any smarter than other scientist? Last I checked, they have not been so hot.

I understand the game, and I know the diffs betwix the 4-3 and the 3-4. You completely missed my point; which was with Vilma's mind and atheleticism, he will do just fine in a 3-4 scheme. I would not be surprised if he plays a little at every LB spot. You know, change it up a bit, switch things around, keep people guessin'; is this all making sense? Does it sound familiar jackass? I am not a rocket scientist, but I am a scientist, by trade matter of factly, so don't get cute with me bub.

Rocket scientist > than all other scientists.;)

You bring up a good point about Vilma's flexibility.

I wouldn't be surprised either to see Mangini line him up at OLB in certain situations to speed rush off the edge.

Brady would have been starting by game 5 even if Bledsoe remained healthy.

TX, you are a delusional pats fan. No way was Brady going to start by game 5. But how you would know that, since you were not a Pats fan at that time.

Bledsoe Tough

By Dan Patrick

Right now, the quarterback controversy in New England is strictly a media creation. With three wins in his first four starts, Tom Brady appears to have a bright NFL future. But the Patriots are unlikely to hand over the quarterback job based on four starts. If Bledsoe had not been hurt, Brady would still be waiting for his chance -- as a rule, the starting quarterback gets his job back if he's out due to injury.

http://boston.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=boston&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fespn.go.com%2Ftalent%2Fdanpatrick%2Fs%2F2001%2F1020%2F1266760.html

There was this guy on all that Patriot boards back then, JetsFanNJ. He was saying that Brady threw like a girl and that the Pats hadn't won anything in several years. He also said Mumbles was a moron.

That guy hasn't posted in awhile. I wonder why.

he still posts all over the place. Changed his username to rajensen088.

Rocket scientist > than all other scientists.;)

You bring up a good point about Vilma's flexibility.

I wouldn't be surprised either to see Mangini line him up at OLB in certain situations to speed rush off the edge.

You can not declare rocket scientist smarter than others based strictly on some old cliche' statement. In my short lifetime, i've seen two rockets, built by said rocket scientist, explode into a billion pieces! Most scientist are intelligent, but what they are passionate about enough to study is based on the individual.

Of course I bring up a good point. I would not have said it otherwise, and I'm not a rocket scientist.

Does anything surprise you, almighty one?

You can not declare rocket scientist smarter than others based strictly on some old cliche' statement. In my short lifetime, i've seen two rockets, built by said rocket scientist, explode into a billion pieces! Most scientist are intelligent, but what they are passionate about enough to study is based on the individual.

Of course I bring up a good point. I would not have said it otherwise, and I'm not a rocket scientist.

Does anything surprise you, almighty one?

Ryno, take a chill pill there buddy.

I have no clue what rocket scientists do, I used it as a figure of speech only.

Once I saw that it hit a nerve for you, I figured I would throw in another jab.;)

Once I saw that it hit a nerve for you, I figured I would throw in another jab.;)

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that's what you were doing.

No chill pill needed, I'm just funnin' as well. The science thing does erk me a bit because I am very passionate about my trade, but I know everyone here, including me, gets a kick from people arguing with you. Hell, your arguments are what have kept the soap-opera that is JetNation alive! I'm not knockin' rocket scientist either, but I do think they receive far too much credit, just because that technology has really done an about face in the last five decades. Lets face it, you usually have to be the smart nerdy type to even think about attaching the word scientist to your name.

Liked the article, but did not like this statement:

How thw hell does anyone know what JV is best suited for? He has never played in any other system as far as I know. This kid is a fast, smart, aggressive player. I think Vilma would excel at PK if that is where Mangini wanted to put him. Some guys are just football players, no matter where they play, or what scheme they run. Vilma is one of those guys!

And yet again we are reminded of what a waste of a 2nd round pick that was on a friggin kicker!

Amen and Airborne to that.

so what does a rocket scientist have to do with being a village idiot???

your words, not mine

Everything!

The village idiot, in most villages, is seen as the least intelligent of the group. The rocket scientist is usually the guy who everyone looks to for answers. Well, in my village, the rocket scientist repeatedly f's up, but everyone still licks his bunghole. We of the village idiot's union have decided that we should start demanding respect from the scientific community. You see, idiots are very capable scientists and closely related to dummies, but even the dummies have that damned commercial stating that "you can learn a lot from a dummy." WE WILL NOT TAKE THIS LYING DOWN! WE DEMAND RESPECT! WHO'S WITH ME?

Everything!

The village idiot, in most villages, is seen as the least intelligent of the group. The rocket scientist is usually the guy who everyone looks to for answers. Well, in my village, the rocket scientist repeatedly f's up, but everyone still licks his bunghole. We of the village idiot's union have decided that we should start demanding respect from the scientific community. You see, idiots are very capable scientists and closely related to dummies, but even the dummies have that damned commercial stating that "you can learn a lot from a dummy." WE WILL NOT TAKE THIS LYING DOWN! WE DEMAND RESPECT! WHO'S WITH ME?

:eek: :eek: WOW...know what, makes perfect sense to me :cheers:

Archived