All picks signed and new camp rules from todays Post

4HCrew

From Today's NY Post Cannizzaro

July 27, 2006 -- With the entire team due into Eric Mangini's first NFL training camp as head coach today, the Jets last night got some significant orders of business taken care of, agreeing to contract terms with their top three draft picks.

In the final hours of last night, the Jets agreed to terms with top pick D'Brickashaw Ferguson, plus Nick Mangold and Kellen Clemens.

Ferguson, a left tackle from Virginia, and Mangold, a center from Ohio State, both are projected to be new starters on the offensive line, and it was vital to have them both in on time. Clemens was a QB from Oregon.

Since Jet GM Mike Tannenbaum was hired by the team in 1997, he has now had every draft pick signed and in training camp on time with the exception of a brief holdout by LB James Farrior in '97.

Terms of the contracts were not immediately available, but Ferguson is believed to have gotten about $18 million of guaranteed money.

As for the Jets' veterans, having already participated in the offseason practices, they come to camp today with a pretty good idea about what to expect from Mangini.

The vibe will be quite a bit different around Weeb Ewbank Hall from the last five years, when Herman Edwards was in charge.

For starters, Mangini has turned the trainer's room from country club to sterile hospital quarters, thus dissuading players from using it like a spa.

Gone is any carpeting that adorned the room, along with any comfort areas to hang out in and the music the players liked to listen to while soaking themselves.

One team insider quipped that Mangini was considering piping in some of the worst music he could think of.

Mangini also has employed several more stationary bikes to be used on the practice field when a player tells a trainer he's not feeling great. That player, instead of being allowed a loaf on the sideline and rest, is sent to the cycle to keep working out.

Those are just a couple of no-nonsense disciplinary type changes that have been made on the surface.

Mangini doesn't appear to be out to kill his players. At the moment, only eight two-a-day sessions are scheduled for the entire training camp, which breaks on Aug. 24, the day before the annual Giant preseason game.

He obviously will, however, be running a more disciplined ship than Edwards did here the last four seasons.

"It's a whole different type of feel here," veteran cornerback Ray Mickens said.

"Eric is a no-nonsense type of coach, and you can tell by how the people act around him, whether it's trainers, assistant coaches, players, everyone. He commands respect.

"It's really like a tight ship right now, the way it should be."

The primary themes to watch in this camp will include:

* How successful Mangini, at age 35 the youngest head coach in the league, can be, and how quickly.

* Who will start at QB - Chad Pennington, Patrick Ramsey or Clemens, the rookie? Figure on a Pennington resurgence.

* How much does Curtis Martin have left? The 33-year-old is being viewed as a castoff by many around the league. But watch out, betting against Martin isn't generally a sound move.

* How quickly can the Jets get their young OL to blend together, likely with two rookie starters - Ferguson and Mangold? That'll go a long way toward answering the Martin question.

* With DE John Abraham gone, who's going to put pressure on opposing QBs?

* Can new offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer figure out ways to score TDs?

mark.cannizzaro

* How successful Mangini, at age 35 the youngest head coach in the league, can be, and how quickly.

* Who will start at QB - Chad Pennington, Patrick Ramsey or Clemens, the rookie? Figure on a Pennington resurgence.

* How much does Curtis Martin have left? The 33-year-old is being viewed as a castoff by many around the league. But watch out, betting against Martin isn't generally a sound move.

* How quickly can the Jets get their young OL to blend together, likely with two rookie starters - Ferguson and Mangold? That'll go a long way toward answering the Martin question.

* With DE John Abraham gone, who's going to put pressure on opposing QBs?

* Can new offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer figure out ways to score TDs?

These are all good questions. But you know what? Today, I am not worried about any of it. Knowing that football essentially begins tomorrow just gets me so fired up. I will worry about winning and losing another day.

Today I am just glad that football is finally here! Go Jets.

Oh, and say what you want about Woody, and much of it could be valid, but he has always opened the purse strings to his draftees and ensured that they got to training camp on time.

Critically important to the development of this squad was getting Mangold and DBrick in. If there is only ONE thing that comes out of this beside agenda setting and vision from the coaching staff, it will be the need to develop the O-line as a cohesive unit that will be a force for the team for the next deacade.

Anything else this year, is a cherry on top. The cohesion and unit work of teh o-line is critical though, and getting the 2 rooks in was vital to that.

Oh, and say what you want about Woody, and much of it could be valid, but he has always opened the purse strings to his draftees and ensured that they got to training camp on time.

Critically important to the development of this squad was getting Mangold and DBrick in. If there is only ONE thing that comes out of this beside agenda setting and vision from the coaching staff, it will be the need to develop the O-line as a cohesive unit that will be a force for the team for the next deacade.

Anything else this year, is a cherry on top. The cohesion and unit work of teh o-line is critical though, and getting the 2 rooks in was vital to that.

I don't think Woody is cheap. Hopefully he has better football minds around him now. This way they can begin spending his money more wisely. Time will tell but I also hope that process has already begun with the recent draft picks!

I am psyched for football season!

As probably the last herm supporter on the planet until this year

its nauseating to hear what went on off the field as it pertains to how

the players took advantage of the situation with him.

Does anyone know if Kansas City is scheduled to come to NY in the

near future?

As probably the last herm supporter on the planet until this year

its nauseating to hear what went on off the field as it pertains to how

the players took advantage of the situation with him.

Does anyone know if Kansas City is scheduled to come to NY in the

near future?

2008 we have a home game vs KC.

This is going to be a great season, regardless of the outcome. Few expectations means relaxation and little stress. I love watching the young guys progress, and this team is chalked full of youngsters. The Jets now have great, young, talented leaders on both sides of the ball, and the special teams units are not far behind. So enjoy this year Jets fans! Watch for progress, but do not get discouraged. This team is building in a fantastic direction, and it all starts tomorrow! J! E! T! S!

This is going to be a great season, regardless of the outcome. Few expectations means relaxation and little stress. I love watching the young guys progress, and this team is chalked full of youngsters. The Jets now have great, young, talented leaders on both sides of the ball, and the special teams units are not far behind. So enjoy this year Jets fans! Watch for progress, but do not get discouraged. This team is building in a fantastic direction, and it all starts tomorrow! J! E! T! S!

As I was reading your post Thunderstruck by AC/DC came on. I swear I just want to tackle someone. I work with all women so it would be a fair matchup. I am just not sure what HR thinks about interoffice tackling.

As I was reading your post Thunderstruck by AC/DC came on. I swear I just want to tackle someone. I work with all women so it would be a fair matchup. I am just not sure what HR thinks about interoffice tackling.

who is HR Max?yea I'm excited as hell too-it's been a long wait and the team has made some nice smart moves.I'm definitely NOT of the mindset of the majority around the boards that is saying 8-8 at best.

Just tell them you're trying to boost team morale.

who is HR Max?yea I'm excited as hell too-it's been a long wait and the team has made some nice smart moves.I'm definitely NOT of the mindset of the majority around the boards that is saying 8-8 at best.

I assume Max was referring to HR as Human Resources. In the old days

it was called Personnel.

Archived