The Last TC Report of 2006

JetCane

First, the good news: we are getting closer to the regular season!

The not so good news: I wont be able to tell you what is going on with the Jets practices until next summer, when we do the Hofstra Swan Song of TCs.

The team practiced in shorts and shells today, all except Clemens, who apparently didnt get the memo, as he practiced in full pads and football pants.

Mr. Barlow was present and accounted for today, and my first impression is a favorable one. He's a big boy, and quick to the hole. Now, admittedly, I havent seen many 49er games the past few seasons, so I didnt see him get to play too much. But the little of him I saw today was good stuff. He started out with a simple drill where the rbs were taking handoffs from Clemens, and they were coaching him up on stuff, including where they wanted him in certain basic formations.

He got a bunch of reps in 7 on 7s, and explodes thru the hole like Leon has done- and unlike the dancing and juking of Cedric and Blalock. Once he gets thru the hole, he looks like he's tough to bring down. When he gets that momentum going, along with the speed he seems to have, he looks powerful. He's shorter than Askew, but about as wide. I am looking forward to the day when they put Jamar and Barlow in the backfield in a short yardage situation. That will be a bruising backfield.

Speaking of Martin, they got him more involved in the offense today, as he was going in motion and lining up in the slot, and he was used as a receiver in the goal line offense (he caught a TD).

Overall, Chad looked sharp today, although he threw a pick to Dyson. Mr. Dyson, who I previously have mentioned has been lockdown, was challenged today, and came up with TWO picks: one in the EZ which he downed for a touchback, and the other on the 10, which he returned out to midfield, where CP pretended he was going to attempt to tackle him.

CP looked good on the two minute drill- 3 of every four passes went to 87, with the remainder going to 89. CP and Coles looked to be on the same page fer sure.

The D stiffened and #1 came on for a 40-45 yarder which hit the upright of the far goalpost. However, that post is narrower than the regular posts, so for all intents and purposes, it was good.

#11 came out to run the two minute drills with the Twos, and on the first play he hit LEON over the middle, and Mr. Washington went the distance- 65 yards. It may have been 25's fault, as he was seen doing a lap shortly afterwards.

Jolley and 81 each had an ugly drop.

Houston got more reps today and did alright, I suppose.

81 also burned 20 on a long bomb that went for a TD. I forgot who threw it, so maybe someone else who was there can fill you in on that.

On Clemens' second two minute drill (scoring on the first play on the first drive cost them reps- so that wasnt good imo) he led the team into opp territory, and then ran a screen left to LEON, and he took it the distance- about 25-30 YAC.

For most of the practice I was in the top row, first aisle of the stands. But towards the end I moved to the far side of the stands near the VIPs, which is where Leon scored his second TD. I figured, hey I've been here 10 times, and if I wanna yell out, I will. LOL! So as he was trotted by us, I called out "Yeah, Leon!! Lookin good!!", Which got me a nod in my direction. :-

The Woodman was at the practice, and early on he came on the field and approached Barlow, shook his hand, welcomed him and had a few words with him. Barlow did a lot of observing, and was checking out the very crowded stands, which most players dont do- certainly not by the last open practice day.

The rushing game is ahead of the passing game, but I think the latter made some catching up strides today.

Westhoff also ran some PR and KOR reps. 22 looked fast today. I dont think 17 practiced, but someone correct me if they saw him.

Okay, since this is the end of public viewing of TC, I think I went enough that I can present a few awards.

:yahoo:

Best offensive player in TC:

If you read my reports, you wont be surprised that Mr. Washington goes to town. If what he did in tc translates to regular season performance, we could be looking at a ROTY candidate. The last time I predicted that was for Vilma in his first camp.

Best defensive player in TC:

I am going with Villllllmmmaaaa, as he has worked EXTREMELY hard at being the onfield leader of this defense in transiton, learning his stuff as well as being the on field coach for the rest of the D. And if he has less tackles, so what- if the D plays as a lean, mean fightin machine, its a team effort, folks!

Best Newcomer in TC: Mr. Dyson, who put the exclamation point on it today with two ints. (He was runner up for best D player).

Best ST player in camp:

This is a tie between 7 and 1, who both seemed to improve their game from last year, which wasnt too shabby to begin with. The kicking game and ST may be a real REAL stength of this team this season.

I give Coach Mangini an A for running his first camp. One thing we will see less of is mental mistakes, both on the field and from the sideline. Fast and smart. Think how good it will be to have a team of Vilmas.

Comeback of the TC Player:

Chad Pennington, who certainly survived this camp with flying colors after his second surgery, worked himself into shape, learned Scott's system, won the starting QB job (in this writer's opinion), and continues to be the emotional leader of the team.

Honorable mention to my boy, 57.

Well gang(green), I have had as much pleasure from doing this as I hope you have had from reading it. For those who have expressed their appreciation, thanks for the kind words.

That is all.

:getgreen:

JC....great stuff as usual and we all appreciate it...but, you didn't mean Martin did you?

Speaking of Martin, they got him more involved in the offense today, as he was going in motion and lining up in the slot, and he was used as a receiver in the goal line offense (he caught a TD).

JC....great stuff as usual and we all appreciate it...but, you didn't mean Martin did you?

Jamar Martin, JFF.

As I obviously was not able to get to TC I appreciate all your reports

throught TC. They were iinformative and well written. I'm sure the

entire Florida contingent feels the same way.

really the best I have ever seen on the boards-any year JC-really I appreciated what you did

still waiting for the MILF report though-with photos

jetcane you rock i was there today but could not get a seat so can't really put numbers to plays today

autographs were great today mangini coles pennington dabrikall in 1 day

hard to pick a ******* of the day when basiclly the entire team signed so i will give it to the jets staff for telling the team when to stop signing autographs ...this litlle kid was close to the front and chad was signing and you could see in the kid face he was sad to not get it

did 82 or 31 the two newest jets do anything to impress today

it sucks next year is there last year

it is great free entertaiment for fans who can't get to games such as myself

plus free ice cream today pretty good deal lol.you can't beat that anywhere

Jetcane Thanks for these reports- it is good to get a real live Jets fan opinions and comments instead of media viewpoints.

Barlow is well built guy-he is not a small scat type of back-interesting backfield with him and Martin-

I know I've already kissed your 'cane ass a couple of times for these, but your camp reports have been absolutely amazing. We have a new coach with a lockdown on info; beat writers that contradict each other as to who looked good, likely based on their own favorites (if not outright bribes from agents); and a true competition at almost every position. So your insight has been invaluable. Thank you.

- SE

you know what was interesting today- I was reading a post by Tex's best buddy RayRay over there and he said the beat reporters got there late-left early,ate,schmoozed,and hardly paid any attention at all to what was going on on the practice field-could be a reason that they are becoming obsolete I'm sure we'll all read what they have to say when guys like JC and the others aren't allowed access but-for the most part we don't learn much from these guys anymore

I hope he didn't.. The Jets are in for a huge fine if he's caught practicing while on the PUP

[

For most of the practice I was in the top row, first aisle of the stands. But towards the end I moved to the far side of the stands near the VIPs, which is where Leon scored his second TD. I figured, hey I've been here 10 times, and if I wanna yell out, I will. LOL! So as he was trotted by us, I called out "Yeah, Leon!! Lookin good!!", Which got me a nod in my direction. :-

last day you might as well

Okay, since this is the end of public viewing of TC, I think I went enough that I can present a few awards.

i guess i will also

:yahoo:

Best offensive player in TC:

i am going to say cotchery i think he had a good camp and deserves a shot to start

defence-hmm dave ball had a very good camp

Best Newcomer in TC: j martin very good blocker hopefully he makes this team

Best ST player in camp:

has to be ben g

coach mangini ran a great camp

Comeback of the TC Player:

has to be chad pennington

Honorable mention , 43 mondoe davis pretty good learning a new position

best autograph givers of tc has to be nugent d coleman and d nuhas (71)

i am going to say cotchery i think he had a good camp and deserves a shot to start

A very good case can be made for Cotch as TC Offensive Player. He came into camp in great shape, and has played very well.

Both he and Leon have also made significant contributions on ST.

I'll stick with my other choices.

Also, it would be very difficult to determine the TC Rookie Award, as several have done very well. Of course Leon, but also Brick and Mangold, who immediately jumped into the starting lineup, and Clem, who has handled this experience extremely well.

BTW Turkey Hill will be selling the Jet Sundae ice cream in supermarkets in the large (half gallon?) container, and it is great. Try it, you'll like it. It has the Jets logo on the box.

Good call on Brad Smith. He's been exciting to watch.

I know I've already kissed your 'cane ass a couple of times for these, but your camp reports have been absolutely amazing.

Yes you have and I enjoyed it immensely; almost as much as a rusty trombone.

Woo hoo!

Archived