Coles injured? (not a joke)

Sperm Edwards

the guy is tough as nails wanna bet he's in there Sunday?Could be a little bit of Mangini subterfuge

Jets | Coles questionable for Week 3

Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:51:22 -0700

ESPNews reports New York Jets WR Laveranues Coles (calf) is questionable for Week 3 due to a calf injury.

Knew that he & Pennington were both nicked up after the game but I thought both would be probable. Seeing Coles on the Questionable list does raise an eyebrow and concerns me. Hopefully this is just a day-to-day thing.

Questionable is a Belicheck, and now a Mangini thing. Belicheck almost never lists "probable" players. He uses Questionable as his "probable" most times.

Calf has Coles on sideline

The Jets could be without their top playmaker, WR Laveranues Coles, in Sunday's road game against the Bills. Coles, who injured his left calf in last week's loss to the Patriots, didn't practice yesterday and was listed as questionable on the injury report.

Coles is known for his toughness - he hasn't missed a game since his rookie year, 2000 - but his condition bears watching. Eric Mangini has yet to dress a player for a game who missed a Wednesday practice, although there were only three such cases in the first two weeks.

The Coles situation is no surprise, considering he walked out of the locker room Monday with an electronic muscle stimulator attached to his heavily wrapped calf. Mangini wasn't available to comment yesterday on Coles, as the injury report was released after Mangini's only media availability.

Coles, who leads the NFL in receiving yards (253), would be replaced by former starter Justin McCareins.

The receiving corps could be in bad shape, considering Tim Dwight (thigh) has missed both games and is listed as questionable this week. If Coles and Dwight don't play, the Jets would be down to McCareins, Jerricho Cotchery and rookie Brad Smith, a former quarterback with little receiving experience.

The Coles injury may explain why Zackary Hilton, a pass-catching tight end, was re-signed this week.

OFF GUARD: Several players are banged up, including four who didn't practice: LG Pete Kendall (hamstring), CB David Barrett (hip), Dwight and C Trey Teague (ankle). Teague, a former Bill, is doubtful. The others are questionable.

It looks as if Kendall will miss his second straight game. Last week, he was replaced by Norm Katnik, who split time with Adrian Jones. Former Dolphin Wade Smith, signed last week, also is a possibility.

Teague, who broke his ankle in the offseason, is "making progress," Mangini said. "We're getting closer and closer each day."

CLOSE CALL: Chad Pennington banged his left calf against the Patriots, but he practiced. He's probable. Pennington confirmed that he narrowly avoided a serious injury when DE Richard Seymour crashed into his leg, nearly hyperextending his knee.

"It was potentially bad news," Pennington said. "Thank goodness nothing happened." ... Bills LB Takeo Spikes (hamstring) is questionable. He didn't play last week and didn't practice yesterday.

Rich Cimini

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/454385p-382419c.html

From the words of a Patriots fan, that's pretty funny! By the way, how are the guys ankles, what are they listed as?

What Bill says: Hurt Leg

What Bill coul mean:

Bruise

Contusion

Fracture

Open Fracture

Amputated

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2597593

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Jets WR Coles keeps calf injury details under wraps

Associated Press

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Laveranues Coles strolled into the locker room with his left calf wrapped and his lips sealed.

"The right one's going good," the NFL's leader in yards receiving said Thursday, dodging questions about the unspecified calf injury that has him listed as questionable for the Jets' game at Buffalo on Sunday.

Coles reiterated coach Eric Mangini's rule not to discuss injuries, and added, "I'm doing what I can to get back."

The veteran wide receiver showed no signs of a limp Thursday, but sat out 11-on-11 drills for the second straight day. Coles has had the leg wrapped since Monday.

It's unclear when the injury occurred, but it might've been during his impressive career-long 46-yard touchdown run late in the third quarter against New England on Sunday. He caught a short pass from Chad Pennington and cut his way down the field, leaving a trail of Patriots behind.

If Coles is sidelined or limited Sunday, that could mean big trouble for the Jets. He has been a major factor in New York having the third-ranked passing offense in the NFL. Coles has 14 catches, tied for second in the AFC, for a league-leading 253 yards. Coles' presence has helped Pennington to his first consecutive 300-yard passing days of his career.

Mangini offered a glimmer of hope.

"The one thing that is indisputable about Laveranues is his toughness," Mangini said. "That guy, whether it's catching the in-cuts or dealing with injuries, that guy's got rare toughness. He's working and addressing the injury."

Coles agreed with his coach's assessment.

"I consider myself having a very high threshold for pain," he said.

When asked if that was being tested by this injury, Coles just smiled. "Anytime you play professional football, your threshold's going to be tested," he said.

The Jets have a history of physical receivers, but that approach cut short the careers of Al Toon and Wayne Chrebet because of concussions. Coles has no such fears.

"That's one of the big things I look forward to, taking the big shots over the middle and making the play," Coles said. "That's the fun part of the game for me, being able to say, 'Look, I took your best and I got up and I'm going to come back and see if you can do it again.' "

Coles developed a reputation as a clutch receiver during his first three NFL seasons with the Jets, becoming a favorite target of Pennington. He signed with Washington as a restricted free agent shortly after the 2002 season and developed into a Pro Bowler.

Two years later, the Jets reacquired Coles for Santana Moss, hoping the receiver could re-establish his rapport with Pennington. Instead, Pennington was lost for the season in Week 3 with a torn rotator cuff and Coles struggled to make 73 catches for 845 yards -- his lowest total since his rookie year. Meanwhile, Moss became a Pro Bowler with the Redskins as one of the league's most exciting deep threats.

"I think what happens is that there are so many expectations for people when decisions are made," Coles said. "I come here, Santana goes there when the trade was made and people think, 'Well, he went over there and had an amazing year.' And I'd never expect anything less from him. He's going to be a great player -- he is a great player. It was just a matter of time before that happened.

"I'm just sorry that I came back here and things didn't go well for me the first year."

Last year's disappointments and the unsettled situation at quarterback in training camp this summer caused people to generally overlook the 28-year-old Coles, wondering if he was past his prime as a No. 1 receiver. With Pennington healthy again, Coles has shown he's still a go-to player.

"I never really had anything to prove, but I like for people to see that this guy hasn't lost anything, that he's still here," he said. "Of course, you always want people to know that you still can play the game. You don't ever want to be looked at as somebody who's lost a step or a team has made a mistake."

The Jets were thought to have a mediocre receiving corps this season, with no real deep threat and no one to complement Coles. But third-year pro Jerricho Cotchery has emerged as a legitimate downfield weapon, and Justin McCareins is a solid No. 3.

"I think, without them, I wouldn't be able to do some of the things I've been able to do," Coles said. "And when you have a great group of guys who go out there on Sunday like that, there's no worries. Fireworks will fly."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Santana Moss 7 138 19.7 37 0 ...Coles has just about doubled Moss' production so far

I'm so happy he's a Jet and Moss ain't-regardless of last years' anomaly for Santana-Coles is FUN to watch play football-and isn't that what it's all about anyway? Entertainment?

that's the way I saw it too Gainzo

To me it proves that "heart" is more important than anything in football.

Moss has all the natural skill you could want but he doesn't work on his game like he should. He is always taking the easy way out.

To me it proves that "heart" is more important than anything in football.

Moss has all the natural skill you could want but he doesn't work on his game like he should. He is always taking the easy way out.

What proves that? That Coles has better production after 2 weeks? Besides, why does everybody think that Moss has more "natural skill" than Coles? When Coles came out he was supposedly running somewhere in the 4.2s, Moss is probably slower, but yet he runs better. They are both very good, just because they are different doesn't mean one is better than the other.

What proves that? That Coles has better production after 2 weeks? Besides, why does everybody think that Moss has more "natural skill" than Coles? When Coles came out he was supposedly running somewhere in the 4.2s, Moss is probably slower, but yet he runs better. They are both very good, just because they are different doesn't mean one is better than the other.

Coles had 4.2 speed at FSU as a freshman - a lot lighter than he is now for sure. That being said, the man still has wheels. Anyone hear anything else about that bad toe he has? Seems to have been completely forgotten...

Jets receiver Laveranues Coles, listed as questionable, appeared capable of playing yesterday, though he missed some of practice yesterday and Wednesday. In the first half hour of practice, which the media is permitted to watch, Coles seemed to be moving fine yesterday and was running patterns.

-- New York Post

Jets receiver Laveranues Coles, listed as questionable, appeared capable of playing yesterday, though he missed some of practice yesterday and Wednesday. In the first half hour of practice, which the media is permitted to watch, Coles seemed to be moving fine yesterday and was running patterns.

-- New York Post

SWEET!

We need him on the field.

BZ

Archived